• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Starting New Threads - A plea to our members

Status
Not open for further replies.
re

எனக்கு தமிழ் ஆர்வ்ம் உல்லது.எங்லிஷ் இபொழ்ஹுது உன்மயில் ப்ரபலம் ஆகி விட்டது.அடிக மக்கல் எஙிச்ல் விரும்புவர்கல் என்பட்டு என் கருது.

I have Tamizh liking inclination,but majority would prefer english in the forum,is my estimated calculation.

gopal.

இந்தத் தளம் வெறும் "பிராமணன்"தளம் அல்ல.

டமில்பிராமின்.காம்.

ஆக, தமிழ் பிராமணர்கள் என்று இந்தத் தளம் அறிமுகப்படுத்திக் கொள்கிறது.

அடுத்து எனக்கு தமிழ் தாய் மொழி.ஆங்கிலமும் எழுதத் தெரிந்தாலும், அதற்கென்றும் ஆயிரம் தளங்கள் உள்ளன.

அடுத்து தமிழில் எழுத நிறைய மென்பொருள் தளங்கள் உள்ளன.
எனக்கு எழுதத் தெரியும்.என் தமிழில் எனக்கு நம்பிக்கை உள்ளது.

அது போல், அனேகமாக எல்லாத் தமிழ் பிராமணர்களுக்கும் தமிழ் நன்றாகவே தெரியும்.

எங்கிருந்தோ வந்த ஆங்கிலத்தை வசதிக்காக நம்மை ஆட்கொள்ள அனுமதிக்கும் பட்சத்தில், நம் தாயுடன் பேசிப் பழகியத் தமிழில் இன்றைய கணிணி உலகத்தில் இத்தனை வசதிகள் இருந்தும் நாம் அதை மதிக்க வேண்டும் என்று விழைகிறேன்.

அதனால், இங்கே ஒரு பிரிவினையை உருவாக்க வேண்டுமென்றோ அல்லது, மலிவு விளம்பரத்துக்கோ நான் இங்கே வாதிடவில்லை.நானும் ஒரு காலத்தில் ஆங்கிலத்திலும், பிறகு தங்கிலத்திலும் எழுதிக் கொண்டிருந்தவள் தான், பல் வேறு தளங்களில்.

ஆனால், இன்றைக்கு நான் தமிழில் எழுதுவதற்கும், தமிழுக்காக வாதிடுவதற்கும் ஒரே காரணம், தமிழ்நாடு டாக்.காம் தான்.அவர்கள் கொடுத்த அழுத்தத்தினால் தான் இன்றைக்கு நான் தமிழில் எழுதுகிறேன்.(இப்போது என்னை வெளியே தள்ளிவிட்டார்கள் என்பது வேறு விஷயம்!)

தமிழில் எப்போதாவது பேசிப் புழங்கும் தமிழ்ப் பிராமணர்கள் என் நிலையின் நியாயத்தை உணர வேண்டும்.

ஆங்கிலம் வந்த மொழி.

தமிழ் தாய் மொழி.

இரண்டுக்கும் வித்தியாசம் உண்டு.

Dear Sri Narayanee ji,

I respect your sentiments to the Tamil Language. However we have to be practical when it comes to reality.

For your information, I studied in the same school where our present Tamilnadu CM, Kaignar Karunanidhi also studied. We may differ with Sri Karunanidhi on several issues but I am sure all of us will respect his knowledge of Tamil.

At the college level also I was fortunate to study under great Tamil scholars. Sri Sathyaseelan, one of the present well known Tamil Scholar, is my Guru. The way he use to teach Great Poet Nakkeerar's `Nedunalvaadai' is still in my ears. He use to bring Sanga Period Madurai in front of our eyes.

As told earlier in these columns, I still collect lot of Tamil Literature books and devoting my time in learning from the treasures of our mother language.

However when it comes to interacting with people particularly at National and Global level, there is no other option except in communicating in English which is a universal language.

Most of the participants here have migrated outside Tamilnadu long back. They still love our mother tongue and our community which is a great asset for all of us. They come to our website to know more about our community, language, current economic conditions, cultural preservation etc.

Due to long break from Tamilnadu and Tamil Language, they are unable to talk as fluently as some of us can. They cannot read and write Tamil Language. If we have to carry them along with us, we have to accept English also. Infact they cannot read and understand, whatever you have written in Tamil.

During my student days, I also participated in `anti Hindi' agitations. But looking back, I feel I was wrong at that time. Children of those who provoked anti Hindi agitation are speaking Hindi very well today. But our community people are being discriminated within our state through reservation issue. We are unable to migrate to North India due to lack of Hindi Language. If we treat English also as foreign language and refuse to learn, we are shutting the doors for our younger generation still studying in Tamilnadu.

I earnestly feel that without compromising our affection to our mother tongue, we can learn and communicate in as many other languages as possible.

Sri KRS ji, one of our Senior Moderator has already expressed his views in the same columns yesterday and let us respect his views. Let us not debate on this subject any more.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Last edited:
While appreciating the points raised by Sri Narayanee on the desirability of writing in தமிழ் in "டமில்பிராமின்.காம்", I wish to draw his attention to the guidelines of this website which clearly state that " Tamilbrahmins.com is a website/forum that provides a stage for Tamil Brahmins spread across the world to network and interact with one another on issues related to the development and well-being of the community". Let us leave the choice of language either English or தமிழ் to the member of the forum. In my enthusiasm to propagate my mother tongue தமிழ், I cannot ignore the language which has helped me to acquire all the knowledge that I possess today.

எனது தாயின் மேலுள்ள அன்பும், தாய்மொழிப் பற்றும் மற்ற யாரையும் விட குறைந்ததில்லை என கூற விரும்புகிறேன் அதே தருணத்தில் மற்ற தாய்மார்களையும் மற்ற மொழிகளையும் மதிப்பவன் நான். ஆங்கிலம் எங்கிருந்தோ வந்திருந்தாலும் எனக்கும் என் குடும்பத்துக்கும் ஐமபது வருஷமாக சோறுபோட்டுக்கொண்டிருக்கும் அந்த மொழியை என்னால் புறக்கணிக்க முடியாது . மற்றும் எனது எண்ணங்களை பகிர்ந்துகள்ள எம்மொழி வசதியாக உள்ளதோ அதையே உபயோகிக்க விரும்புகிறேன். எனது மொழிப்பற்றை தமிழ் மொழியை வளம் செய்ய உதவும் மற்ற தளங்களில் காட்டவே விரும்பிகிறேன்.அதற்கு இது இடமல்ல என அறிவேன்

In this regard I fully agree with the views of Sri Venkataramani and Sri KRS. We should end this issue now and should not put a blinker in the name of தாய் மொழி for dissemination of knowledge.
Let us not forget the Vedic dictum:
A no, bhadrah kratavo yantu viswatah
Let noble thoughts come to us from every side
Rig Veda 1-89-1

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
தமிழ் மொழி பற்று தேவை ...ஆனால் மொழி வெறி இருக்க கூடாது

regards
tbs

Endorsing KRS's view, while those are fluent in tamil can write in tamil. it is for the benefit of others, they should they should provide a transileration and translation in English.

As R. Venkataramani ji pointed out
However when it comes to interacting with people particularly at National and Global level, there is no other option except in communicating in English which is a universal language.

there is nothing against writing in tamil or those who do so. its a simple fact that if you want your message to reach people, you must do so in the language they are fluent in.

Personally, i can talk tamil, to an extent read, but i cannot write without errors.
even reading stuff written in tamil takes me some time.

Plus, a lot of people search the net in english, if something is written in english, it kinda not reaches them too.

re

Shree RV,

For your information, I studied in the same school where our present Tamilnadu CM, Kaignar Karunanidhi also studied. We may differ with Sri Karunanidhi on several issues but I am sure all of us will respect his knowledge of Tamil.

Apart from respecting him for his தமிழ்,he is an accomplished senior citizen of this country.The methods used by him maybe unorthodox,but he gets results all the same.Good to know you belong to the leagues of the senior statesman classmates.I believe Shreemathi J.Jayalithaa is a student of Church Park Convent.Thank you!.

gopal

Dear Shri Gopalsamy Shreedaran,

I never said Shri Karunanidhi is my classmate. I only said I studied in the same school in which Shri Karunanidhi studied. He is several decades senior to me.

The above statement also I made only to counter some of the members who have been raising Tamil's cause in our forums.

I think the matter is being dealt by our seniors in the forum. Let us leave it at this.

All the best

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

re

Shree RV,

I stand corrected,truly regret to think, you were classmates of Shree Doctor Mu.Karunanidhi.Thank you !.

gopal.

இங்கு எல்லோருடைய பதில்களையும் பார்த்தேன்.பொதுவாக என் பதிலைக் கீழே தந்திருக்கிறேன்.

இங்கு நன்கு படித்த மேதைகள் இருப்பதாக நிர்வாகம் எனக்கு ஒரு முறை தகவல் அனுப்பியது.பிராமணர்கள் என்றால், படிப்புக்கு கேட்க வேண்டுமோ?அது உள்ளங்கை நெல்லிக் கனி தானே!

அவர்களின் படிப்புத் திறனை நான் குறைவாக மதிப்பிடவில்லை.

இங்கே ஒரு நண்பர் "ஆங்கிலம் 50 வருடமாகச் சோறு போடுகிறது"அதனைப் புறக்கணிக்க முடியாது என்று சொன்னார்.என்னுடைய முதல் பதிவைப் பார்த்தாலே நான் யாரையும் கட்டாயப்படுத்தவில்லை என்பது யாவருக்கும் தெரியாமல் போனது தான் ஆச்சரியம்.

என்ன தான் ஒரு வேலைக்காரியிட*ம் குழ*ந்தை பாச*மாக*ப் ப*ழ*கினாலும், அவள் வேலைக்காரி தான்;தாய்க்குச் சமானம் இல்லை.

எனக்கு எப்படி என் தனி உரிமைகள் முக்கியமோ அது போல் மற்றவர்களுக்கும் அந்த முக்கியம் இருப்பதும் எனக்கு நன்றாகவே தெரியும்.அதனை மதிப்பவள் தான்.என்னுடைய நிலையும், எந்த மொழி நமக்கு சோறு போடுமோ அதனைக் கற்றுக் கொள்வதில் தவறில்லை என்பது தான்.

ஆனால், சோறு மட்டுமே ஒருவனுக்கு இலக்கணம் வகுக்கக் கூடாது;********************(edtd:KRS)வேண்டும் என்றும் நினைப்பவள் நான்.

சுயதம்பட்டம் அடிக்க இது நேரமில்லை.

புரியாத ஊர்,தெளிவில்லாத சூழ்நிலை..இருந்தாலும் வெளிதேசம் எங்கு வேண்டுமானாலும் சென்று அங்கே அதன் நெளிவு சுளிவுகளைக் கற்றுக் கொண்டு அங்கு நீண்ட காலம் வாழ்ந்து காட்டும் வைராக்கியம், தமிழ் மொழியைக் காப்பதிலும் இருக்க வேண்டும் என்பது என் அபிப்பிராயம்.
தமிழ் மொழியைக் கழகங்கள் காப்பாற்றட்டும், அது நமக்கல்ல அந்தப் பொறுப்பு வேறு யாருக்கோ என்றில்லாமல்,"நமக்கென்று பூமியிலே கடமைகள் உண்டு,அது நமக்காக நம் கையால் செய்வது நன்று"என்று கவியரசு பாடியது போல்,நமக்கும் பொறுப்பு இருக்கத்தான் செய்கிறது, இந்த விஷயத்தில்.

வெளிதேசத்தில் ஓடி ஓடி, சமஸ்கிருதம் , ஸ்லோகம் கற்றுக் கொள்ள முயற்சி செய்கிறோம்.நான் ஒன்றும் சொல்லவில்லை.நானும் பிராமண குலத்தைச் சேர்ந்தவள் தான்.ஆனால், அந்த முயற்சியில் ஒரு விழுக்காடாவது தமிழைத் தானும் கற்றுக் கொண்டு,நம் வருங்காலச் சந்ததிகளுக்கும் கற்றுக் கொடுக்க முயற்சி செய்தோமா என்ற கேள்விக்கு நாமே நம்மைப் பரீட்சித்துப் பார்க்க வேண்டும்.

இதுவே கன்னட பிராமின் .காம்,தெலுங்கு பிராமின் .காம் அல்லது குஜராத் பிராமின் .காம் என்று யாராவது ஆரம்பிக்கட்டும்;அங்கே ஆங்கிலம் எத்தனை விழுக்காடுகள் என்று பார்க்கலாம்!

தாய்மொழி த*மிழ்ப் ப*ற்றாக்குறையை இங்கே எடுத்துரைத்தால், அது த*மிழ்வெறி என்ற* அர்த்த*ம் ஆகாது.

நிற்க*,

நான் புதிய*வ*ள்.இங்கே இருக்கும் மூத்த* உறுப்பின*ர்க*ளை நான் விம*ர்ச*ன*ம் செய்வ*தாக* நினைக்க* வேண்டாம்.என் ம*ன*தில் ப*ட்ட*தைச் சொன்னேன்.அவ்வ*ள*வு தான்.

நான் துவக்கும்* ப*திவுக*ள் த*மிழில் தான் இருக்கும்.இதில் நான் உறுதியாக* இருக்கிறேன்.

என*க்குப் பிடித்த* ம*ற்ற*வ*ர்க*ளின் ப*திவுக*ளின் மொழிக்கேற்ப* என் ப*திலும் இருக்கும் என்று சொல்லிக் கொள்ள* விரும்புகிறேன்.

எல்லோருக்கும் ந*ன்றி.

நாராய*ணீ

Last edited by a moderator:
நான் துவக்கும்* ப*திவுக*ள் த*மிழில் தான் இருக்கும்.இதில் நான் உறுதியாக* இருக்கிறேன்.

If that is your stance, i am afraid thats an unfortunate one.

We will then have to edit/modify and even delete your posts if there is english version posted.

It is simply for the benefit of those who have a difficult time reading written tamil.

And its a sad thing that you are adamant on this stance.
We are not asking you to forego tamil. simply asking you to provide an option for non-tamil reading members to understand what you are saying.

"Originally Posted by narayanee
ஆனால், சோறு மட்டுமே ஒருவனுக்கு இலக்கணம் வகுக்கக் கூடாது;அவனுக்குச் சொரணையும் வேண்டும் என்றும் நினைப்பவள் நான்."

I am extremely pained to see the use of such disrespectful words in our Forum. The tone of the language used is not only insulting to all others who write in English, but highly insinuating too. I leave the decision of allowing such writings in Tamil Brahmins site to the Moderators.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Dear Ms.Narayanee ji,

I think you should respect the views of other members as well as Moderators/Site owners. All of us are allowed to express our views freely in this site and we should also reciprocate the gesture by following the rules and regulations.

It is not proper to use harsh languages and we should preserve the decorum of the website. The fact that we are all able to exchange views freely is a major achievement. We have to use this opportunity to unite us and achieve more for our community as well as humanity.

We have to thank those who created this opportunity for all of us.

Unless all of us adopt `give and take' approach, nothing could be achieved.

When majority of the people here are comfortable with a particular language, let us accept it.

All of us love our mother tongue Tamil equally if not better than you

You continue to write in Tamil with Translieration and Translation so that you can reach all the members of this website.

I once again appeal to you, let us not get divided by the language, let us get united for the purpose for which we have joined here.

Last edited:
re

Dear Sri gopal Ji,

Thank you for the offer. Shows what a kind hearted and empathetic person you are.

But it will not work, because, one has to be responsible for one's own communication here.

Also, please do not worry about the Moderation. All decisions are taken with utmost care, with the well being of the Forum/members in mind. Thank you.

Regards,
KRS

Shree Praveen,

I am willing to translate Sowbhagyavathi Narayanee Ammals Tamizh postings to english.I request moderator's not to ban people on account of language.Please do consider my suggestion.Thank you!.

gopal.

In any open Forum, everyone has an obligation to others in terms of making sure that one's views are understood. Even if one has an idological position about a language, one has to express them in a language that others can understand.

This has nothing to do with a love of a language. 'Tamil Brahmin' means people whose culture is akin to that of the community. This is why we allow anyone to post here irrespective of one's background as long as they have the welfare of our community in one's heart.

One should never forget that we are all guests here. So, one has to observe the rules and the wishes of our members.

As Sri Praveen Ji said above, if anyone posts in Tamil alone, going forward, it will be MODERATED. Thank you.

Regards,
KRS

re

Dear Sri gopal Ji,

Thank you for the offer. Shows what a kind hearted and empathetic person you are.

But it will not work, because, one has to be responsible for one's own communication here.

Also, please do not worry about the Moderation. All decisions are taken with utmost care, with the well being of the Forum/members in mind. Thank you.

Regards,
KRS

Shree Praveen,

I am willing to translate Sowbhagyavathi Narayanee Ammals Tamizh postings to english.I request moderator's not to ban people on account of language.Please do consider my suggestion.Thank you!.

gopal.

Shree KRS,

Thank You!

gopal.

please break the language barrier.

hi all,

there is a saying in hindi 'gyan baantne se badhta hai'. while i respect the sentiments of most people about the use of Tamil, it is my humble request to use english as the uniform mode of communication. i believe this forum is to connect the people from all corners of the world. humble request to members to atleast provide the translation along side the tamil posts.

i am a second generation tambram who has stayed for the better part of my life outside tamil nadu. i am fortunate enough that due to my orthodox background i have imbibed most of the tamil culture but i do regret that i have been unable to master my mother tongue. through this forum i request the members to send me a link or start some online forum for tamil training.

hi all,

there is a saying in hindi 'gyan baantne se badhta hai'. while i respect the sentiments of most people about the use of Tamil, it is my humble request to use english as the uniform mode of communication. i believe this forum is to connect the people from all corners of the world. humble request to members to atleast provide the translation along side the tamil posts.

i am a second generation tambram who has stayed for the better part of my life outside tamil nadu. i am fortunate enough that due to my orthodox background i have imbibed most of the tamil culture but i do regret that i have been unable to master my mother tongue. through this forum i request the members to send me a link or start some online forum for tamil training.

Thank you very much. This is the position of most of our members and there is nothing wrong in it. Still your thirst to learn our mother tongue has to be highly appreciated.

Please try this website

http://www.languageshome.com/English-Tamil.htm

thank you very much sir. indeed i am motivated by people like u.

i would also like to thank you for providing me with the link.

We can try some other links also. I shall search and send it to you through personal message.

All the best

Last edited:
Long post content in Tamil deleted for not following instructions. Sorry.

Regards,
KRS

Dear narayanee Ji,

Your logic is quite flawed. No one is preventing you from posting in Tamil for those who do not know English, if you give a gist in English. As I have said, we do not think we have people here who do not know English. Such people probably can not participate here, given that we conduct our communication in English, starting from registration, before you showed up!

What you are trying to do by insisting on posting only in Tamil, shortchange the full participation of a sizeable minority here who do not know/understand Tamil.

Wo do not need to ban you, as long as you do not violate our rules. But count on getting your Tamil only posts unceremoniously deleted from now on. Thank you.

Regards,
KRS

If that is your stance, i am afraid thats an unfortunate one.

We will then have to edit/modify and even delete your posts if there is english version posted.

It is simply for the benefit of those who have a difficult time reading written tamil.

And its a sad thing that you are adamant on this stance.
We are not asking you to forego tamil. simply asking you to provide an option for non-tamil reading members to understand what you are saying.

Well begun is half done. There is one saying in English. I think my fractured innings here, has not begun well. Nor do I think it will proceed smootly in future too.

I am not the one to budge an inch to avoid moderation or ban or whatsoever . By this, it is not that, I am trying to show one upmanship above the educated mass, here.That is different.

You people claim the majority can not be slighted for the sake of hand few who would have known writing in tamil, here.I do not agree with you either.

There is one well judged company law case decided in England, the citadel of English.There the famous judgement was "Majority can not hold the minority in ransom".

I am not new to ban or moderation. I am well exposed to all these.But you are denying the rights of those minority who otherwise know Tamil, and would like to write in Tamil.

Your unilateral decision to ban or moderate tamil is depolarable,

I just condemn it.

As an adminstrator you can exercise your discretion to ban me or the like minded in future. Nobody can question you.

Nor can you question my right to quit this forum on this principle alone.

It is upto you.

Thanks
narayanee

Thanks Gopal for your willingness to translate my postings. I think it may not be required as I am likely to be banned here. Not a problem.

But you stand alone in a crowd.Your stand that "better light the candle instead of cursing the night "is worth noting.

regards
narayanee

Why stubborn?

Dear Narayanee:
I am sorry to see your stand on not compromising. Life is full of compromises. Since you DO know English, why don't you just post your views in Tamil and give a translation? What is the obstacle?
I personally would like to see your postings in Tamil; however, we do need to balance everybody's needs. I am not sure you know this.....many offsprings of Tamil Brahmins born and brought up abroad, while may speak the language, wouldn't know how to read. Why don't you help them out understand what your views are by an English translation?
Please consider it.

Thanks Gopal for your willingness to translate my postings. I think it may not be required as I am likely to be banned here. Not a problem.

But you stand alone in a crowd.Your stand that "better light the candle instead of cursing the night "is worth noting.

regards
narayanee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back