• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Starting New Threads - A plea to our members

Status
Not open for further replies.
narayanee,

i fully acknowledge your indepth knowledge about tamil. please do not side track the issue. there is a saying in hindi 'kala akshar bheis barabar' to translate it adverbittam 'black alphabets are equivalent to the buffalo'

please pardon me for this adverbitam translation. the idea that i want to convey here is that your lofty ideas would not reach us the lesser mortals who are illiterates in tamil, hence humble request to you and many enthusiasts like you to give a gist in english along side ur post in tamil. no one has prevented you from writing in tamil. you are still free to show your prowess in tamil language provided you give a gist in english.

please also consider my suggestion to start an online community or a thread in tamil brahmins so that you may train people to read tamil by that way u wil help so many of us to learn to read our mother tongue. please give it a thought.

shri venkatramani, the web site link you had given me was indeed useful. but i need some online material which would be useful to me to learn to read and write in tamil. i can very well speak and understand tamil (thanks to my parents who insisted the usage of mother tongue while at home)

Dear Narayanee Ji,

I am writing this as a Forum member and not as a moderator.

I have been living in the US for the past 40 years.

I still can read, write and speak in Kanni Tamil (the Tanjore variety), even though I have married an American girl who did not know Tamil.

My children do not know Tamil, because it was not necessary for their success here.

But I love Tamil and our rich literature.

But that is besides the point.

If you love Tamil so much, why would you not take the effort to make it understood by people who do not know it?

Are you angry that there are people out there who call themselves as 'Tamil Brahmins' who do not know Tamil? If it is so, is it a proper way to bring them in to our culture by just writing in a language that they do not understand?

Regards,
KRS

Dear Ms. Narayanee ji,

You have good talent in Tamil which all of us appreciate. You are equally capable of expressing your views in English also.

The purpose for which we have joined here is to interact freely and find solutions for the benefit of the community at large.

Most of the people here have already expressed their inability to understand and write Tamil. It is not their fault since they would have migrated out of Tamilnadu few generations back. Even in neighbouring Kerala & Bangalore, our people are unable to read and write Tamil since the medium of instruction and local language compulsion in those states forces them out of our mother tongue. Learning Tamil at late age is also difficult. ஐந்தில் விளையாதது ஐம்பதில் விளையுமா

Probably by interacting more with other members, you can make more and more people read and write Tamil. However this is not going to happen overnight and you have to have lot of patience.

Now most of the members who cannot read and write are appreciating the treasures of our mother tongue. This is a welcome change which we should appreciate and encourage them to promote our language to the next generation atleast.

By not participating in the discussions, I earnestly feel that you are missing a golden opportunity to promote our mother tongue to other members of the forum. Infact in the same thread if you see little earlier, I have suggested to one of the members a website to learn Tamil online and the member has also appreciated me.

Let us join hands and see that `உலகமெலாம் தமிழோசை முழங்க செய்வோம்'

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Last edited:
Dear Ms. Narayanee ji,

You have good talent in Tamil which all of us appreciate. You are equally capable of expressing your views in English also.

The purpose for which we have joined here is to interact freely and find solutions for the benefit of the community at large.

Most of the people here have already expressed their inability to understand and write Tamil. It is not their fault since they would have migrated out of Tamilnadu few generations back. Even in neighbouring Kerala & Bangalore, our people are unable to read and write Tamil since the medium of instruction and local language compulsion in those states forces them out of our mother tongue. Learning Tamil at late age is also difficult. ஐந்தில் விளையாதது ஐம்பதில் விளையுமா

Probably by interacting more with other members, you can make more and more people read and write Tamil. However this is not going to happen overnight and you have to have lot of patience.

Now most of the members who cannot read and write are appreciating the treasures of our mother tongue. This is a welcome change which we should appreciate and encourage them to promote our language to the next generation atleast.

By not participating in the discussions, I earnestly feel that you are missing a golden opportunity to promote our mother tongue to other members of the forum. Infact in the same thread if you see little earlier, I have suggested to one of the members a website to learn Tamil online and the member has also appreciated me.

Let us join hands and see that `உலகமெலாம் தமிழோசை முழங்க செய்வோம்'

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Dear Venkatramaniji,

I am privileged to read your postings. Coming to the subject, I do understand that, the Bramin Daispora,find it difficult to practise in mother tonuge in highly charged commercial world, since, Tamil does not fetch any lucrative career, throughout.I don't deny that.

Also, it does not mean that, we shall forget our root. There is one famous management principle dicturm,which states that "authority can be delegated but responsibility can not be"Like wise, we need to be more responsible to nurture and imbed our braminical culture with Tamil.

Have we ever attempted to answer this in any earnest sense? is the question I leave it to you all.

Not only here, even in my blog"Thanal"
http://narayanee-argument.blogspot.com/or in my Gmail group I never write in english.Hence it is not just like that, I am arguing my case as if I am the champion of Tamil.Never.

Gopalji has said we need to make compromises here and there.,I agree. But it shall be both ways. Is it not? Otherwise will it not be surrender?

I come down from my stand to say that " I will also write in English"But there must be some space for Tamil also so that, your forum name itself is justified., May be it will take years to fully convert this forum into Tamil; I know that. Even may be not at all.But, I think this administration shall make a room in this forum for Tamil also.

Afterall something is better than nothing. Is it not?

I see few of our friends here, asking for Tamil link to make some attempt to acquaintance themselves with Tamil, to pick up the lost thread, either knowlingly or not. That is a small beginning.

I wlecome it.

After all,our azhwars have sung 1000s of verses in Tamil ; is it not? Is it not our responsibility to understand those, without violating their nativity.

I do not know , how this administration will take this message.

I will not go on my own. This is my stand always. But I am always kicked out. That is my experience.

Thanks for your messages.

Regards

narayanee

NB:Till this issue is ironed out, to show some understanding of your feelings I write in English.A sort of compromise.But I also expect from you to come down from your stand to accomodate Tamil section separately for the like minded people.

Given that, I agree to write both in Tamil and English , wherever called for.

Thanks

Again, there will not be a seperate section in this Forum for Tamil only in any foreseeable future.

Regarding one's roots, it is a personal business. If one wants to learn Tamil that is one's prerogative as much as if one does not want to learn Tamil. No one else has any say in these matters.

There is no 'issue' here. The Forum's policy regarding communication is clear. Let me repeat - Tamil only postings will be removed.

Regards,
KRS

I have clearly stated that a posting in Tamil with an English trnslation or 'gist' is clearly acceptable. I have clearly stated it here in this thread: "Your logic is quite flawed. No one is preventing you from posting in Tamil for those who do not know English, if you give a gist in English."

So if you want to quit, please go ahead. You are unncessarily creating an issue out of a non issue.

Regards,
KRS

In Mahabharatham, it is said that when Paandavas asked Duriyodhana to give 5 places for them to live; rejected. Then They requested him,to give 5 houses at least. Rejected.

Likewise, I do not expect the forum to be fully converted into Tamil.I also understand the ground reality.But having put the name as Tamil Bramins without accomodating it by ensuring the space it deserves at least for this forum's name sake , I am constrained to stick to my stand .

Again I assert I am not Tamil warrior or Champion . But I will not accept it being given step motherly treatment, whatsover .

One friend suggested to give the gist of tamil postings in English.But KRS is silent in his latest message on this. That means as a super moderator he is not receptive to that solution also.

This is the first forum, I have decided to quit on my own.

But no regrets.

Good Bye to all.

Thanks
narayanee

Last edited by a moderator:
A separate forum for tamil will not be available in the foreseeable future.

The idea is to bridge the gap amongst us and not widen it.

As KRS put, if one wants to read/write tamil, thats their personal business.

In order to participate and effectively communicate, one must give a translation of the tamil postings (if any). It is a responsibility of that member.

Tamil only postings will be removed.

One friend suggested to give the gist of tamil postings in English.

it is, as the original author, your responsibility to provide the translation. Someone else will not be held accountable/responsible.

They have their own limitations (personal life) and cannot check your posts every now and then.

Not acceptable to force your "thing" onto someone else.

Again, it is sad that you are very adamant in your stance. If you wish to leave, please, that is your decision. we have suggested you options, but if you do not want to do so, we cannot do much.

Dear Ms.Narayanee ji,

I think we are discussing a non issue.

Majority of the members participating in these forums, inspite of Tamil Language constraint, don't want to forget their roots. They come here only to reconnect/reenergise their roots(It doesn't mean that they have lost their roots totally) During participation in the discussions, they also express their willingness to learn more about Tamil Literature. However we cannot force anything on anybody.

This forum gives `freedom of expression' to a great extent. Moderators intervene only exceptionally to do their duty which we have to understand in the right spirit.

In a forum like this, there will be definitely differences of opinion which I feel, have to be welcomed. Every body should have a `give and take' approach to create better harmony in the forum.

You please continue to write in Tamil with transileration and translation so that your views are conveyed to all. The reverse may not be possible since most of the members don't know Tamil.

Starting a separate `only Tamil' forum is the prerogative of the organisers of this forum. Probably if more and more people knowing only Tamil join and make a joint request, they may consider but we cannot force them.

re

தமிழில் எழுதும் த்ரில் இங்கிலிஷில் இல்லை ,உண்மை டான்.

writing in tamizh there is greater thrill compared to english,very true.

Thank you!.

gopal.

And we respect that you have that thrill. What all we ask is that you provide a thrill of reading your posts by the non Tamil knowing audience here, like what you have done here. Thank you.

Regards,
KRS

தமிழில் எழுதும் த்ரில் இங்கிலிஷில் இல்லை ,உண்மை டான்.

writing in tamizh there is greater thrill compared to english,very true.

Thank you!.

gopal.

கிரஸ் அவர்களே ,நீங்கள் ரெட் கலரில் எஅழுடியாடல் ,என்னக்கு ஒரு சந்தேகம் வருகிறது.உங்களை,நான் ஒரு கேள்வி கேக்கலாமா?நன்றி

krs,since you have highlighted in red colour fonts,i have a doubt.May,i ask you a question?Thank you!.

gopal.

By all means, yes. Please go ahead and ask.

Regards,
KRS

கிரஸ் அவர்களே ,நீங்கள் ரெட் கலரில் எஅழுடியாடல் ,என்னக்கு ஒரு சந்தேகம் வருகிறது.உங்களை,நான் ஒரு கேள்வி கேக்கலாமா?நன்றி

krs,since you have highlighted in red colour fonts,i have a doubt.May,i ask you a question?Thank you!.

gopal.

ரெட் கலரில் எஅழுடினால் அபயம் என்பது உலகறிந்த உண்மை அல்லவே .நான் எடய்நும் அர்யாமல் தவறு சைடிருந்தால் என்னக்கு ஒரு விளளக்கம் குட்ப்பது நியாயம் அல்லவோ?நான் என்ன தவறு சைடுல்லைன்,ரெட் கலரில் நீங்கள் உங்கள் கருத்தை எஅழுடிரிகேல்?நன்றி.

Red colour signifies danger,its a world acknowledged truth,becoz of its properties being least deviated in a spectrum.I am at my wits ends as to you being a super moderator to have chosen this colour to address this post.Am i being corrected for a wrong,then please tell me what wrong have i committed,so that i can change it,to become a better poster in the forum,getting the love and respect,that i deserve.Thank you!.

gopal.

Dear Sri Gopal Ji,

We, the moderators in this Forum wear two hats: one as a moderator and two as a contributor as everyone else. To differentiate the two roles, we type in bold red letters when we wear the moderator's hat.

This does not signify danger. If we need to correct anyone here, please understand that we will directly adress those with words and not give out any indirect message through the font color of our postings.

By the way, we chose 'red', because it stands out in contrast. Hope this explains.

I could have explained this as a 'moderator', in which case this entire posting would have been in 'red'. So, Sri Gopal Ji, I have elected to address this, wearing just a contributor's hat, so as not to scare you!

Regards,
KRS

நீங்கள் இடை சொன்னதால் என்னக்கு மிகவும் மகிழ்ச்சி,நன்றி,krs.
I feel so relieved by your honest admissions.Thank you!.

gopal.

A separate forum for tamil will not be available in the foreseeable future.

The idea is to bridge the gap amongst us and not widen it.

As KRS put, if one wants to read/write tamil, thats their personal business.

In order to participate and effectively communicate, one must give a translation of the tamil postings (if any). It is a responsibility of that member.

Tamil only postings will be removed.

it is, as the original author, your responsibility to provide the translation. Someone else will not be held accountable/responsible.

They have their own limitations (personal life) and cannot check your posts every now and then.

Not acceptable to force your "thing" onto someone else.

Again, it is sad that you are very adamant in your stance. If you wish to leave, please, that is your decision. we have suggested you options, but if you do not want to do so, we cannot do much.

Praveenji,

I think, there is some communication gap between all of us, somewhere.I could sense that.I never said, somebody shall translate my tamil postings.I never thrust my views or overburden others on account of my intervention , wherever it is called for.It is Gopalji who first volunteered to translate my postings on HIS OWN volition,for which I responded identifying him alone in a crowd.

I am not adamant as you repeatedly emphasise, that is why I have come again here to clarify my stand.

For me, if you say Tamil bramin, there must be suitable recognition of Tamil in this forum.I agreed already about the majority of the members inability to acquaintance with Tamil.But what I wish is, that alone shall not be excuse.If this forum is like NDTV, IBNLIVE, I would not argue at all.You want to be associated with Tamil. That is welcome. But you prevent posting in Tamil, in full without translation.

I don't mind to continue here, after seeing friends like Gopalji, who has started attempting to write in Tamil.

I felt hurt, when KRS , when the issue was under debate, went on deleting my fully tamil posting,before reaching a conclusion.And you are calling me as adamant.

If I am adamant, i would have already gone once and for all, exercising my right to quit .That is not a big issue.

Moreover you used to send greetings periodically on various Hindu functions. I acknowledge this now.And here.

As a reciprocation, I withdraw my earlier message.

I will continue to post in Tamil, and I will give the gist in English on my own , to help you understand.

I think, instead of blindly remaining tied to one cause, if the unity thrives on an understanding between the two, it will be long lasting.

Hope I am clear.

I will continue.

Regards
narayanee

Well, let the record show that both myself and Sri Praveen Ji, gave ample warnings about posting only in Tamil. I do not think there was anything pending under debate or an 'issue' from our side.

Sorry you felt hurt. But then, I think you have not been listening to what we have said and was keen on imposing your own will on this Forum.

We welcome you back of course and we hope that you post information that can be understood by ALL our members. Thank you.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
[quote:Narayanee:
I will continue to post in Tamil, and I will give the gist in English on my own , to help you understand.]

Great! Narayanee! Thank you. Please continue to post your views in Thamizh with English translation. Believe me, this is the best way for you to make us learn to read in our mother tongue!
நன்றி! நாராயணீ!
எங்களுக்கு மிகவும் மகிழ்ச்சி, நீங்கள் ஆங்கிலம் translation கொடுக்க முடிவு சைதிதல்.
See, Narayanee, what you have accomplished! You actually have made many of us starting to write in Tamil, also!!!!
Please forgive my errors in Thamizh; this is my first attempt.

Last edited:
Thanks Ms.Narayanee ji,

There is no misunderstanding. All of us have common interest both to our community as well as our mother tongue.. Let us move forward.

By continuously writing in this forum, as Sri Silverfox ji admitted, you can help many of us to improve their Tamil reading and writing skills.

You please continue write in Tamil with English transiliation and translation.

All the best

Last edited:
re

தாய்குலமே நாராயணீ ,
நீங்கள் எங்கள் அனைவரும் மனதில் இப்போழ்டு கவர்ந்து விட்டாலே .நன்றி.

Shreemathi Narayanee,You have captivated all our hearts.Thank You!.

gopal.

நல்லது நண்பர்களே!

நடந்தது நடந்தவையாக இருக்கட்டும்; நடக்க இருப்பது நல்லதாகவே அமையட்டும்..

தமிழைக் கற்றுக் கொள்ள நினைக்கும் உள்ளங்கள்,அதனைத் தனக்குத் தெரிந்த வரையில் கற்றுத்தர நினைக்கும் நான்,இதனை செயலாக்கம் கொடுக்க ஏதுவாக ஒரு களம்...சுகமான நினைவுகள்..

விரைவில் ஆரம்பிப்போம்.

எங்கள் வாழ்வும், எங்கள் வளமும்
மங்காத தமிழென்று
சங்கே முழங்கு!!

வாழ்க தமிழ்!!!

நன்றி,
நாராயணீ

Good ! Friends!!

Let what happened , remain happened!

Let what's to happen be a good one!!.

We will start soon.

Willing hearts to learn Tamil, willing heart to teach Tamil,conducive forum to ensure that it's happening ....all memorable moments...

Let the conch be blown-
That
Our life and Prosperity
be
Ever conquering Tamil!!

Long Live Tamil!!

Tamil and Tamil Brahmins could not be seperated. U.Ve. Swaminatha Iyer is only called `Thamizh Thatha'.

Vaishnavites have accepted Divya Prabandham as Tamil Vedam.

Paramacharya's knowledge of Tamil Literature is amazing.He only propagated Thiruppavai, Thirvembavai and Tiruppalli Ezhuchi. Sambandar's Kolaru Pathigam was popularised by him only. The book he has written about Lord Vinayaga illustrates origin of Tamil from Saint Agastia days.

Let us join together and bring treasures of Tamil Literature to this forum

All the best

Last edited:
Excellent, narayanee Ji! Now I see the right spirit! Please start contributing. Thanks.

Regards,
KRS

If starting a new thread could not be stopped, atleast after a week of opening of the thread, it may be reviewed by the Moderators. If there is no response or very poor response, it may be merged with some other suitable thread already operating. If a thread is not attracting atleast one response per day, i.e. totally seven responses after a week of starting, then there is no point in keeping the thread alive as a `stand alone' thread. Better merge it with some other suitable thread and the participants can continue to contribute.

re

ஸ்ரீமதி நாராயணீ ,நீங்க ஆரம்பிக்கும் இந்து நல்ல காரியத்திற்கு என்னுடைய மனமார்த ஆசிகள்.ரொம்ப சதோஷமா இருக்கு என்னக்கு நன்றி .

shreemathi Narayanee,

For your sathkaryam,i am delighted to say the least.Thank you!.

gopal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back