• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Starting New Threads - A plea to our members

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once again request the moderators to see the response to the newly started thread for say one or two weeks. If there is no proper response or the original starters of the thread are not nurturing the thread, better merge it with some other thread of similar nature. This way number of threads could be limited.

Effective participation from all the members should be the main purpose and if there is no effective participation from other members, then better consolidate it with some other thread within a time frame.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Dear Sri Venkatramani Ji,

Today, we usually merge threads if the topics are the same. But to keep an eye on inactive threads and merge them with othrs take work - it will add to our burden, without much return as these inactive threads are archived off after 60 days anyway.

This is just my opinion. I will request other Moderators to pipe in.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri KRS ji,

I just made some suggestions on inactive threads. Probably inactive threads could be highlighted through software itself so that moderators can intervene if required.

In the recent past, threads are being opened almost daily and atleast there should be some mechanism for closing it through software itself if it is not getting enough support from our members.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Dear Sri Venkataramani Ji,

Good idea - there should be a s/w solution available. I request Sri Praveen Ji to look into it.

Regards,
KRS

Right now, all threads that do not have any activity for a period of 6 months are closed automatically.
It was initially set at 30 days, but people wanted to reply to some threads started a month ago, hence pushed to 6 months.

we can change this number if required.

But as KRS said, checking and merging topics takes time and sometimes one has to read the entire discussion before making a discussion :)

i agree with krs re monitoring threads.

one option, is to keep thread opening privilege viable, only after the guest has posted a certain number of threads.

i think this was discussed too before....

i agree with krs re monitoring threads.

one option, is to keep thread opening privilege viable, only after the guest has posted a certain number of threads.

i think this was discussed too before....

I fully agree with Sri Kunjuppu ji that one should be allowed to open a thread only after certain number of postings.

Again, number of threads each person can open should also be restricted atleast in relation to a time frame - Just one or two threads per month like that.

Normally threads goes in directions which are not relevant to the topic selected but it should be the responsibility of the originator of the thread to bring back the discussions relevant to the topic of the thread.

If the thread is not attracting minimum number of participation within a month, better merge it with some other thread or close it once for all.

Last edited:
Proper chanting/pronounciation

Namaskaram.

Late Anna Subramanya Aiyer popularised usage of slightly different presentation for letters in Tamil, to give the exact prononciation (to diferentiate light sound, thick sound etc.), symbols for swarams. If one starts learning from scripts like this, the person can read/chant in a gathering, including persons learnt thro Sanskrit libi and not much difference will be noticed and the individual can easily concentrate on the japam. Anna has done yeoman service to the world of knowledge, particularly to non-Sanskrit learners.

To overcome this problem of prononciation, learning little Sanskrit - even upto reading of letters is enough -is the best solution. Since for most of us, it may not be possible, atleast their subsequent generations (son/grandson/daughter etc,.) are introduced to Sanskrit letters. For information, I started learning Sanskrit & Grantham, after 40 and I can read and write well in these languages. Mentioning this aims at inspiring persons who have crossed middle age also to try. Kindly excuse for the self boasting.

One instant solvation to the problem of pronounciation is introducing some kind of a system while transliterating in English. For this, the person who does this transliteration needs to know little Sanskrit. For example, t, th, th (thickened). Since veda mantras are not tried in this kind of website, problem of swarams does not arise.

Welcome all to share their ideas on this pls.

:noidea: G. Soundara Rajan

Of late, I am seeing a number of new threads started by individuals, who then do not contribute to the threads after the initial 'big bang'.

Because we decide to leave after realising that we may not be in the best company.

I am seeing a number of instances where the initiator does not respond or a poster drops off from a discussion even though others take their time to respond and the discussions are no way near the finishing point.

Why should we waste our time feeding trolls?

Because we decide to leave after realising that we may not be in the best company.

Why should we waste our time feeding trolls?

staunch,

your comments in this thead & in the 'why' thread, are considered rude.

your comments have not contributed to a single iota of increased value.

perhaps you can find your way to other forums where you will meet folks of your own calibre.

one more post of this nature, and 'staunchiyengar' will be banned.

your comments in this thead & in the 'why' thread, are considered rude.

Alright why don't explain to us all how my posts are rude?

your comments have not contributed to a single iota of increased value.

Neither have those threads furthered the development of Brahmins in any way whatsoever.

one more post of this nature, and 'staunchiyengar' will be banned.

Your threats have no effect on me. I only fear God.

Alright why don't explain to us all how my posts are rude?

Neither have those threads furthered the development of Brahmins in any way whatsoever.

Your threats have no effect on me. I only fear God.

mocking the mods can result in your account being terminated.

If you believe none of the threads have furthered the development, then you dont you start one, instead of criticizing others.

it is very easy to find fault, but to sit down and rectify the same takes a lot of effort and time.

A place in this site

Dear Sri Praveen ji,

We have to be open and there is no two opinion about it. However we have to detect intruders who are against our community and expel them from our website itself.

Atleast they should declare that they have faith in `Hinduism' and are not against our community. If not, their registration should be rejected.

Our liberal outlook should not be misused by some body.

Those who come here to propagate other religion or express views against Hindu religion or our community need not be admitted.

Let them go to forums which are meant for them.

Let us have internal criticism, debates, arguments within the four walls.
Let us not allow others to interfere in our affairs. I am sure, all of us, don't want to interfere in others affairs also.

Freedom of expression enshrined in our constitution is not to talk or write whatever we like. It has some limitations also. Same way, freedom of religion & practice is permitted in our constitution. However we don't have right to criticise other faiths or non-believers.

You have rightly said Mr Venkatramani.

In my opinion those who do not have the faith in the Hinduism and particularly Brahminism should not find a place in this site. As long as they are contributing in the interest of the Tamil Brahmin we should welcome and any contribution to this site can be debatable as long as it does not hurt anybody's feelings.

With warm regards,
Vaidhyanathan

This forum is for the common good of the (Tamil) brahmin community.It is assumed that everyone who joins the forum has this as his aim. The moderators are the facilitators for the smooth conduct of the forum.The first step of each member is to conform to a (voluntary) imposed code of conduct. If personal prejudices or negatve emotions are allowed to creep into this,how can the main purpose going to be served.
Self restraint should be practised. There are many forums where one can blow venom.Kindly don't spoil this forum.
While agreeing and proclaiming my support for the moderators and mature members on their expressing guidelines and codes,I request the other members who have different opinions , not to precipitate matters and hold to restraint. Also I seek moderators to adopt "parental attitude" in condemning and condoning misguided members.

Any thread should have ultimate aim and effect of improving the community as a whole, simultaneously enriching members. A waiting time /queue system for threads to be registered ,screened for their effect and reach : and then allowed can be tried. As expressed by many members, a certain qualification eligibility should be there before a member is allowed to start a thread. This can to a certain extent ensure the sincerity and common aim of the member.
All of us have to be alert about "infiltrators".Many benign community site and forums have this risk.

Let us hope (and make happen) the site serves the aimed purpose of unity and development of the brahmin community.

In my opinion those who do not have the faith in the Hinduism and particularly Brahminism should not find a place in this site.

This forum is for the common good of the (Tamil) brahmin community.

[...]

Let us hope (and make happen) the site serves the aimed purpose of unity and development of the brahmin community.

Hello and greetings!

What is good for Brahmin community, and every other caste community, is the eventual elimination of Brahmin community and the caste system.

In the meantime, keep an open mind and welcome everyone. In fact the best thing this web site can do is to invite the most confirmed of anti-brahmins to participate and debate his/her position in a civil way. Everyone will learn a thing or two from such a debate. Calling for unity on the basis of caste make me cringe.

Cheers!

Hello and greetings!
What is good for Brahmin community, and every other caste community, is the eventual elimination of Brahmin community and the caste system.
Cheers!
icon7.gif
Ahh, the secret unveiled!!!

This site is not for the elimination of brahmins and neither of caste. It is a way to promote the general welfare a particular identity of people tagged the brahmins. The position of caste vis a vis discrimination is debatable and taking the cudgel against the identity of brahmins at every opportunity is akin to spewing hate.

This refers to Nara's message 92

Reading and responding to Nara's comments by many members is-by itself testimony that this site accommodates and members welcome opposing views.The crux of my comment was as concurred by Nara , (of course,in different words)- that is nobody should spew hatred, but disagree in a civil way. But Nara's words itself somewhere slghtly slipped from this.is it not?
To come under one forum by persons of similar experiences, circumstances is the normal thing in this world. They get their grievances redressed, or find solace by mutual help-in word or deed-

Anybody can have a common forum in various permutations and combinations-- tall men forum,dwarfs forum, diabetics forum - or anything ... Same person can be a member of different forum as per his common interest.
If a person totally disagrees with a forum is it not civil to leave it like that?

As for this forum , the guidelines welcomes divergent views.It has not prohibited any opposing views if expressed in a civil and positive way.

Nara also should accommodate the opinions expressed against Nara's views and comments.

icon7.gif
Ahh, the secret unveiled!!!

What secret would that be Sapthajihva sir? I have made my opinion on caste system plain from day one. I think caste system is evil and serves no legitimate purpose. Our society will be better off without it. In as much as the Brahmin caste is part of this system, it too needs to be eliminated.

taking the cudgel against the identity of brahmins at every opportunity is akin to spewing hate.

I don't hate Brahmins, I love them, just the same way I love NB's, but no more. IMHO, elimination of caste system in general and the Brahmin caste in particular, is the best thing that can happen to Brahmins. I take it up at every opportunity because, through the accident of birth, I was born into a Brahmin family. This gives me an opportunity to appeal to some in this group to think beyond their caste cocoons.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
My reply in blue:

What secret would that be Sapthajihva sir? I have made my opinion on caste system plain from day one. I think caste system is evil and serves no legitimate purpose. Our society will be better off without it. In as much as the Brahmin caste is part of this system, it too needs to be eliminated.

Yes, you have made your opinion, but blatantly repeating them on every occasion is nothing short of propaganda!

I don't hate Brahmins, I love them, just the same way I love NB's, but no more. IMHO, elimination of caste system in general and the Brahmin caste in particular, is the best thing that can happen to Brahmins. I take it up at every opportunity because, through the accident of birth, I was born into a Brahmin family. This gives me an opportunity to appeal to some in this group to think beyond their caste cocoons.

Thinking beyond caste and eliminating caste are entirely different things - they can be mutually exclusive.

Cheers!

... but blatantly repeating them on every occasion is nothing short of propaganda!

I have always responded to caste based claims (if I am to use your words, making blatant claims), but never started this topic on my own.

Cheers!

I have always responded to caste based claims (if I am to use your words, making blatant claims), but never started this topic on my own.

Cheers!
I had offered you a different perceptive that caste based unity is not discrimination, rather grouping of similar identities.

This world is not perfect that abdicating one's caste identity is the key to unlocking a perfect world of equality. Differences, in many ways, would crop up, perhaps tagged differently. If you were to crusade against such a natural phenomenon, it is endless.

We have to live with diversities, but a broad consensus can be the common good of all. Picking on caste as the discriminating factor, in my opinion, does not hold water.

Regards,

Hello and greetings!

I had offered you a different perceptive that caste based unity is not discrimination, rather grouping of similar identities.

No, you have offered no such thing. Discrimination and oppression on the basis Jaathi is all around us. I cited many instances of these (#64 and #74 of the Varna thread). These cases of oppression were perpetrated purely on the basis of caste. The reason the president-elect in that village near Madurai was murdered was he belonged to the "wrong" caste. The reason the young child was beaten up for drinking from the pot was because she belonged to the "wrong" caste. There are thousands of such instances happening to this very day in villages all around India.

It is not as though caste is a benign social construct that is misused by bad people. Au contraire! Oppression is the raison d'être of caste. Keeping the caste in their hierarchical place is the whole point. The tragic thing about caste is it makes even otherwise good people act badly sometimes.

There are enough powerful reasons to eliminate caste system. Since you seem to want to preserve it, the onus is upon you to show at least some positive things that cannot be had without caste identity. You are yet to name one.

This world is not perfect that abdicating one's caste identity is the key to unlocking a perfect world of equality.

The same argument can be made by other perpetrators as well. Why pick on my chosen vehicle of oppression, why eliminate _________ (fill this blank with your favorite vehicle of discrimination) because it is not as though it is the key to unlocking a perfect world of equality?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back