• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Saris disappearing from the big screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've actually watched this before. I thought it was called Munni or something. I must have totally blocked out Sarath...hehe coz i didn't remember till i saw this again!. :)

In Today's Times of India, there is a column about Sari cancer. The reason quoted
is that the Sari petticoat, if tied in the same place day after day, can cause chronic
irritation along with the waistline. The constant irritation can result in scaling or
pigmentation. Further, it is adds that most Sari wearers do not notice it until it gets
chronic. The Doctor says that women need to be cautious because waist dermatoses
can turn malignant as it did in the case of the women treated recently in Mumbai.
Further the doctor counsels that women should start changing the level at which
they tie the saris. Summing up, this kind of cancer does not really affect those
wearing pants or belts, because the pressure spread over a large area, unlike in the
case of a petticoat nada or string. A piece of information to read.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

This kind of stuff happens in the states but mainly only to people prone to neuropathy like diabetics or people with seriously disabled movement like the case of the morbidly obese. I think these threats to public health are being exaggerated but they are interesting nonetheless.

We should ask our local physician's opinion. . . "Paging Dr. Renuka to TamBram's General Discussion Forum. Dr Renuka to the Gen Forum. " Sorry hospital joke..... :-D

In Today's Times of India, there is a column about Sari cancer. The reason quoted
is that the Sari petticoat, if tied in the same place day after day, can cause chronic
irritation along with the waistline. The constant irritation can result in scaling or
pigmentation. Further, it is adds that most Sari wearers do not notice it until it gets
chronic. The Doctor says that women need to be cautious because waist dermatoses
can turn malignant as it did in the case of the women treated recently in Mumbai.
they tie the saris. Summing up, this kind of cancer does not really affect those
wearing pants or belts, because the pressure spread over a large area, unlike in the

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

This warning is not something new, a lot of women who tie the cord quite tight used to suffer with roughness in and around the area and in extreme summer it gets worse, I have heard this from one or two a very long time ago.. but people who take care of their body well, have absolutely no problem.. today in medical science anything is subject to investigation.. nothing new to us ladies.. :)

Yes everything in life has a risk. I guess not wearing any cloths also have a skin cancer risk.

I read this in an newspaper light article by one Anjali Mazumdhar decade ago.

Two things that have liberated women (in maharashtra at least) are 1. Kaftan 2. Scooter.

The kaftan or the night dress is an acceptable day wear for walking, shopping and group chatting!

Nice reply, Bushu. If the threat of cancer is spread like this, the 'nighty' which is now the 'dayie' dress for many, in their houses,

will become the daily casual wear to go out, very soon!
:rofl:

Thanks Raji, :) I personally don't like women in their nightie or lounge gown being seen in public.. I live in the US, but I try not to even go to the yard if I can avoid it.. but again that is me.. for the record, I wore sarees for many many years even in the worst winter, did all my yard work, raking leaves and snow shoveling etc.. I had no problem with it at all..

In reply to Sarang sir, I know women do wear kaftan as their practice in the north I still would love an Indian women to be adorned in a cotton sari or a salwar khameez, which is perfectly fine,

may be the level of heat tolerance has decreased to a great degree.. I don't blame the women who want to comfortable, and if they think they are right, they are.. who are we to judge, Right???

Back to the woman's petticoat, simply wear it a little loose and hold your saree with a Pin, I know most women do.. :) what do you say Raji, not a bad solution..

Dress code is very essential in some professions. We find generally Teachers,
Air Hostess preferably wear Saree. The Teacher is a noble profession. She
has to maintain certain personality in the School premises. Wearing any thing
like Jeans or Casuals in the School is not appropriate. Students won't respect
such teachers in the Class room. No doubt Salwar Kameez is a traditional outfit
in India. But that is not generally respectable in the School premises. Jeans or
body hugging dresses must invariably be avoided in the Schools and Colleges.
The same should not be encouraged, though women have their own choice to
decide what is appropriate for them to wear, but not in the School. Some Schools
in India do supply uniform Saree to all the Teachers.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

.......... Back to the woman's petticoat, simply wear it a little loose and hold your saree with a Pin, I know most women do.. :) what do you say Raji, not a bad solution..

I too use the huge sized pin to hold the saree pleats. Some silk sarees are so thick that pins bend when I try to fix...

So, the new solution for such sarees is the paper clip, the black one, which can hold about 50 papers together! Howzzzat, Bushu?

The steel portion can be bent down to make it look straight.

binder-clip-holding_~IS191-057.jpg

Courtesy: Fotosearch.com

So, the new solution for such sarees is the paper clip, the black one, which can hold about 50 papers together!

Courtesy: Fotosearch.com
I once went looking for that 'Paper Clip' and the shop keeper said they were out of stock, and suggested 'this huge size pin'. At that time I went blank. thanks, I get it now :)

Even in the present days, there are houses, where women wear only Saree.
If we watch in Kerala, it still forms the major mode of dress. It is worn together
with a 5.5 m long piece of cloth with a choli. Some wear Saree like Pattu (Silk) Dhothi.
Those days, only women from Rich family used to wear Pure Silk Saree. In India, Saree
has always been an elegant piece of garment with a Choli. If you watch the development
of Saree from the olden days, it started from the thread made from bark of the trees.
Wives of Rishis used to wear such Saree only. Later, according to the fashion,
the garment started being made from Cotton, Silk, Polyster, Art Silk, Mixture of Silk
and Cotton, Designer Saree, Fancy Work Saree, etc. Wearing of Saree has its own
sanctity than other mode of dresses.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Sarees - Medical science warns: Today's science report says that because ladies tie petticoat knots at the same place where they also tuck saree borders and/or talaiippu which causes scaling or pigmentation. Not only that 3/4 cases have been reported to have developed cancer in the area/spot. For the benefit of the traditional lady folks.

dear sisters !
nothing wrong in wearing nighty until it is dressed properly . so many ladies wear it without inner garments and make decent gents to feel sorry for that state.it looks more horrible while collecting water from hand pump.so many husbands who are against nighty are unable to prevent their spouse from using nighty. we are also seeing ladies wearing nighty with a towel on their chest.
guruvayurappan

dear sisters !
nothing wrong in wearing nighty until it is dressed properly . so many ladies wear it without inner garments and make decent gents to feel sorry for that state.it looks more horrible while collecting water from hand pump.so many husbands who are against nighty are unable to prevent their spouse from using nighty. we are also seeing ladies wearing nighty with a towel on their chest.
guruvayurappan

What are you talking about?

I thought, TBS sir will write: "from saree to nightie / nighty" ..... :)
hi RR,
you read my mind.....infact i thought it.......it was early morning shows of singarah chennai now a days.....early morning

kolam mamis are in nighties......in many aavin booth counters too.....கண்கொள்ளா காட்சி.....

Sarees - Medical science warns: Today's science report says that because ladies tie petticoat knots at the same place where they also tuck saree borders and/or talaiippu which causes scaling or pigmentation. Not only that 3/4 cases have been reported to have developed cancer in the area/spot. For the benefit of the traditional lady folks.

Yes..studied this before but yet to see a case..may be here no one wears saree as often and do not tie as tight.

I thought, TBS sir will write: "from saree to nightie / nighty" ..... :)

now since from saree its gone to nightie we should add some vesthi stories too..let me think then I will write..or on second thoughts i better not cos the vesthi stories I know might get me banned.

somehow I feel men have X ray/Ultrasonic vision..we should employ them as airport scanning devices LOL!!!

females I feel we can have X ray /Ultrasonic Vision if we want but its goes thru our brain like this..

Vesthi located..
areas of hyperechoic density noted
surrounded by a hypoechoic soft tissue.
Loculated structures noted.
No inflitrating lesions noted.

Diagnosis..turn your gaze somewhere else.

Just kidding..dont take me too seriously.

Ladies, it looks like there are men doing research on women's nighties, water pumps, and xxxxx garment -- I am too shy to say what this xxxxx is. It would be best if these husbands went to fetch water and save their embarrassment of ogling eyes on their wives -- though the wives themselves may enjoy a little attention, no?

The mores and responsibilities are so different in the present-day eastern and western cultures. It was about the same in both places in the past, scantily clad women were thought to be fair game in the west too. If you go back far enough an exposed ankle was scandalous.

But things are far different now. Women can flaunt their assets all they want, to be in control is for men to learn and practice. Let your eyes prey and you will be called out. I really face this situation day-in and day-out surrounded by beautiful young women in my classes who care a hoot for the mores of the elders. I carry double burden as a male and a teacher.

The flip side of all this consternation about sarees disappearing is the disappearance of traditional clothing of men. Men have long ago taken to western clothing and now they have given the traditional attire up even at home, yet they love to ogle at that saree clad women.

In my poorvashrama I was seriously contemplating going to work in my kaccham, the kudumi is no problem as it can pass as a ponytail. If objected to, I thought I can invoke my religious freedoms. But she who must be obeyed wouldn't hear of it, at least that was my excuse.

In conclusion, I say to the women of the world, wear what you want, burka or bikini, whatever you want.

Cheers!

Every opinion based on scientific criticism I welcome. As to prejudices .. to which I have never made concessions ... “Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti.” -- Karl Marx

எல்லோரும் சொல்லறாங்க: 'அழகு என்பது பார்ப்பவரின் கண்களிலே!' :spy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back