• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Real achievement of Tamil Brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Shri Kunjuppu,

As you point out yourself, the point I wanted to make was that you do not need physical comforts for a fulfilling life, in fact it is the reverse, the more comforts you are after, the more peace you lose. It was just to share a first hand and an authentic experience I spoke about my lifestyle. It was certainly not intended to be a brag.

re your other point, my view is, earning money for an evil objective is lot worse than earning money by evil means

Svarna

"I can lead and am leading an extremely simple life. I do not aspire for anything that I can be without. My mobile and my computer are my luxuries."

Exactly. But your toilet is not considered by you as a luxury - but it is a luxury to someone in the jungle. The vedic schools doesn't say one shouldn't urbanize or develop in sciences.

"I also believe there is nothing which do not have within you, that technology can offer to make you lead a peaceful life "

I believe in the enormous (untappped) potentials and abilities of the mind too, but it stands as a historical fact that nations which don't develop a certain structure or technology are the ones to fall, leaving its inhabitants face misery, defeat and even extinction. Have you read about the Aborigines or Australia, or the San Bushmen, or the Incas?

Look at things from a practical point of view.

"I wanted to make was that you do not need physical comforts for a fulfilling life, in fact it is the reverse, the more comforts you are after, the more peace you lose."

Yes, its true we don't need those comforts, but does it become immoral to even live in them when you are not possessed of it? And if comforts make you lose peace those comforts are not comforts. I agree that technology can lead to a damaging lifestyle - but that is not a universal fact. It depends more on how we use technology.

Regards,
Vivek.

Last edited:
or the other way around, if someone by crooked means, builds a hut or such humble dwelling, through evilly earned income - should we accommodate this, just because it is a humble abode, even though the source of that income is questionable?

the more i think about it, the more confused i get.

Shri Kunjuppu,

My view is that in such cases if the person builds just a hut or abode or adobe which appears as "humble" to our eyes, we should not criticise it. For example if a pick-pocket comes to stay in a "humble" locality and suppose I am also living in that same locality, I will not blame him for being after luxury.

Vivek,

To a person who is materialistically disposed, going after physical comforts is the right thing. Hinduism does allow that. But hinduism also says there is a stage of development beyond that and there you are not worried about physical comforts and pursue higher values. Also the development of science and technology will happen in any society as long as there are people who possess inclination towards logical pursuits. The real problem when the society as a whole focussess on the lower aspects and loses balance. That is when it gets caught in a vicious cycle that sooner or later leads to its extinction.

Last edited:
Svarna

"To a person who is materialistically disposed, going after physical comforts is the right thing. Hinduism does allow that. But hinduism also says there is a stage of development beyond that and there you are not worried about physical comforts and pursue higher values."

I didn't understand this in relation to what I said earlier.

"Also the development of science and technology will happen in any society as long as there are people who possess inclination towards logical pursuits."

Yes, but would you say then that technological findings are "materialistic" and view them negatively? Like I said, IMO its completely upon the use we put technology too, not technology per se. The use of technology is important in functioning of society and defense. Apart from that those who choose to in their life can pursue things like tapasya to attain higher mental states. But it will only be possible for them to come to that state of mind, if they are nurtured in the beginning stages of life. Is that correct in your opinion?

Regards,
Vivek

Svarna

"To a person who is materialistically disposed, going after physical comforts is the right thing. Hinduism does allow that. But hinduism also says there is a stage of development beyond that and there you are not worried about physical comforts and pursue higher values."

I didn't understand this in relation to what I said earlier.

"Also the development of science and technology will happen in any society as long as there are people who possess inclination towards logical pursuits."

Yes, but would you say then that technological findings are "materialistic" and view them negatively? Like I said, IMO its completely upon the use we put technology too, not technology per se. The use of technology is important in functioning of society and defense. Apart from that those who choose to in their life can pursue things like tapasya to attain higher mental states. But it will only be possible for them to come to that state of mind, if they are nurtured in the beginning stages of life. Is that correct in your opinion?

Regards,
Vivek
Vivek,

I am not denying technology a role in the society. But similarly a society that becomes pervasively materialistic such as what is happening now I think, is also dangerous for its survival . Wise people should be allowed to play a role too and be heeded to.

Last edited:
Svarna

I don't think our society is coming to a dangerous point regarding the use of technology. I do agree it had been headed that way, but people are becoming aware. The brakes are being applied, so I don't see your fears. Maybe you can tell me reasons for your apprehensions.

Regards,
Vivek.

Svarna

I don't think our society is coming to a dangerous point regarding the use of technology. I do agree it had been headed that way, but people are becoming aware. The brakes are being applied, so I don't see your fears. Maybe you can tell me reasons for your apprehensions.

Regards,
Vivek.

Vivek,

That is my perception and I may be wrong. If the reality is brakes are being applied, then it only augurs well for the society.

Svarna

Regards,
Vivek.

Knowledge pursuit is one thing and it will go on as long as humans exists. How judicious we are with the use of knowledge and skill calls for wisdom.

I'm unable to recall know the quote by one of the leading technologist which voices similar concerns.
My compliments to 'Srvana' and Vivek for engaging in a healthy discussion.

Rgds.

"If the reality is brakes are being applied, then it only augurs well for the society."

Yes Svarna, and its happening. Your post itself is proof of that =)

People tend to think that luxury will lead man astray indefinitely, but there is also a sense of blase that comes over people. Indians seem to get that understanding quickly probably because its in our culture. Do you notice how it was kings in ancient India who were fed up with all the excess luxury given to them - when this blaseness arises they seek things more universal and sublime, to help the world etc.

"Knowledge pursuit is one thing and it will go on as long as humans exists. How judicious we are with the use of knowledge and skill calls for wisdom"

Well said Swami.

Regards,
Vivek.

Svarna

Regards,
Vivek.

dear vivek,

much as i would like to believe your conclusion, judging from my recent visit to india, albeit very short, and very superficial, i personally would conclude that we are headed in a diametrically opposite direction.

however, i presume, you have some basis for coming to believe that 'I don't think our society is coming to a dangerous point regarding the use of technology. I do agree it had been headed that way, but people are becoming aware. The brakes are being applied...'

if you would please sir, provide us with some concrete and factual proofs of the above, i would appreciate it very much. also, it is ok, if you feel that it is just a gut feel, but then that gut feel should also have some rationale, which you might want to share with us.

finally, what exactly do you mean by 'dangerous point regarding use of technology'.. how would anyone or any one society would know where it is vis a vis re this 'dangerous point'. for example, where would singapore, that ideal city state so beloved by tambrams, be in your opinion?

thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back