• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pakshanam in Brahamin weddings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear
Paruppu Thengain( In pair male one and female one slightly shorter than the male one) is always there in any Subha Kariyams in Brahmin House Is this custom followed in any other community. What is the significance of this Paruppu Thega Now these are available in many varieties But I like the Manoharam type the most. Jambu:hurt:

It is NOT Pakshanam.,but Bhakshanam.Hindu classification of Food articles is:-Bakshyam(Bhakshanam)--Bhojyam(bhojanam),Pheyam,Lehyam,Shoshyam.This classification has been praised by even Western Scholars (.(to be continued)

Bhakshyam=To be bitten and ground with teeth and eaten---Bhojyam=to be eaten as far as possible without using teeth.It is why orthodox Brahmins while doing "parisheshanam" eat the 6 "Aahuthis"-Prana-Apaana-vyaana-Udhaana-Samaana and brahmana with swaahaakaaram,eating a little cooked rice without touching the teeth---Pheyam=semi-solid,like Kanchi,kicchadi etc.--"Vaaja Pheyam" is an yaagam performed using Rice Paayasam as an oblaion.--Lehyam=sweet,syrruppy----Shoshyam=dry food,like dried fruits,Vadaam etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
brahmanaha bojanapriyaha:frog:; anything in oc is welcome

Sri.KR Subramaniyan Sir,

I used to hear a similar proverb from elders that went like..'Vaishnava bhojana priya; smartha alankara priya'.
My most favourite sweet was served in a madhva marriage... padhur peni.

Cheers!

My favourite sweet which I havent eaten in ages is thiratti paal. All this sweet talk is making me hungry. I think i will make this tomorrow!

It is NOT Pakshanam.,but Bhakshanam.Hindu classification of Food articles is:-Bakshyam(Bhakshanam)--Bhojyam(bhojanam),Pheyam,Lehyam,Shoshyam.This classification has been praised by even Western Scholars (.(to be continued)

Bhakshyam=To be bitten and ground with teeth and eaten---Bhojyam=to be eaten as far as possible without using teeth.It is why orthodox Brahmins while doing "parisheshanam" eat the 6 "Aahuthis"-Prana-Apaana-vyaana-Udhaana-Samaana and brahmana with swaahaakaaram,eating a little cooked rice without touching the teeth---Pheyam=semi-solid,like Kanchi,kicchadi etc.--"Vaaja Pheyam" is an yaagam performed using Rice Paayasam as an oblaion.--Lehyam=sweet,syrruppy----Shoshyam=dry food,like dried fruits,Vadaam etc.
Thank you for enlightening on this what is that Palaharam

Dear Somayaji ,Thanks for enlightening on Bhakshanam and classifiction of foods. Where does palaharam fit in ?

Dear Jambu Ji,
In answer to the other question, I know of atleat one or two other castes that use Paruppu Thengai in their festivals. Nattukottai Chettiars and in general Chettiars also use it. You may have watched the recent Tamil movie that had an elaborate theme about a Chettiar family wedding "Pirivom Santhippom".
Regards.

brahmanaha bojanapriyaha:frog:; anything in oc is welcome

Anybody is a Bhojanapriya.
What about the five course,ten course dinner? the cocktail circuits?
Any significant meet is followed or preceded by lunch/dinner.

Eating is not just one's prerogative or privilege.Every one has a rightful (mouthful)share in this title.

Greetings.

Dear
Paruppu Thengain( In pair male one and female one slightly shorter than the male one) is always there in any Subha Kariyams in Brahmin House Is this custom followed in any other community. What is the significance of this Paruppu Thega Now these are available in many varieties But I like the Manoharam type the most. Jambu:hurt:

Most of our rituals were basically designed that the rich and not-rich also can perform and participate without feeling discriminated.

Parippu thengai has the ingredients, mostly used in everyday use. Only additional labour by self is required to make it. Then it becomes a sweet. For a pleasant occasion sweet is exchanged or distributed. By keeping parippu thengai as the mandatory sweet, the poor also can celebrate the ocasion without feeling inferior at the same time feeling satisfied that they have conducted their occasion normally.

If we can analyse , similarly, we can find that originally all these were devised for everybody to participate and feel happy.
Later on, according to one's wealth, people started amending things according to their wish and fancy.

Even now during Makra Sankranthi, in Maharashtra (where I have sen it) people exchange 'Thil gul" -which is our "ellurundai" - as the traditional sweet.

It is having 'Ellu" which is also''Sneham" in Sanskrit--means 'love and affection". So Thilgul is Sweet love.How nice to greet on a New Year day!!

So thus goes the genuine tradition- harmless but harmonious to one and all !!!

Greetings

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been the custom in Brahmin marriages to give Kalyana Bhakshnam to all the relatives along the Muhurtha Tambulam.Is it to dispose of the excess Bhakshnam that has been prepared or is there any significance such as to keep the relatives happy and in good humor.

New year wishes

Nice to see the reply about BAKSHANAM in brahmin weddings. It is very useful and meaningful too.

I am wishing all our community members a prosperous and health New Year.:)

My favourite sweet which I havent eaten in ages is thiratti paal. All this sweet talk is making me hungry. I think i will make this tomorrow!

Did you make it? How do you make it? in the microwave or in the traditional way? It takes about 3 hours of non-stop stirring for my wife...:crazy:

Did you make it? How do you make it? in the microwave or in the traditional way? It takes about 3 hours of non-stop stirring for my wife...:crazy:

I made it in the microwave. Its fast and easy. The traditional way wastes too much gas/electricity and time :(

I made it in the microwave. Its fast and easy. The traditional way wastes too much gas/electricity and time :(

Sow. Amala, Have you tasted the traditional thirattupaal? Themost recently, I ate it about 7 or 8 years back. I can still feel the taste and texture. I thought only vaishnavas make thirattupaal. I could be wrong. It does not take too much time (That's where the partner come in handy... mostly I do the stirring:( But still I love it :hungry:

Cheers!

nowadays, me thinks, that the best திரட்டுப்பால் comes from grand sweets in adayar. not too sugary and still with the fine sand of cooked milk to melt in your mouth.

but then, what would i know about திரட்டுப்பால்? i have lost taste for sweets since past year and don't enjoy them anymore :(

nowadays, me thinks, that the best திரட்டுப்பால் comes from grand sweets in adayar. not too sugary and still with the fine sand of cooked milk to melt in your mouth.

but then, what would i know about திரட்டுப்பால்? i have lost taste for sweets since past year and don't enjoy them anymore :(

Sri Kunjuppu,

You have brought my schooldays to my memory.

The days when for a fast "Thirattupaal" I poured lemon drops into milk without mother knowing.She murmuring and saving situation by making 'Thirattupaal", the clever 'THIRUTTU Pal' enjoying the sweet.

Oh! Oh! the sweet days.

It has been the custom in Brahmin marriages to give Kalyana Bhakshnam to all the relatives along the Muhurtha Tambulam.Is it to dispose of the excess Bhakshnam that has been prepared or is there any significance such as to keep the relatives happy and in good humor.

Sri.Sadasivam Sridharan,

Only in the present days the bakshanam are prepared by the 'paricharakas'. In the olden days, I suppose, everybody pitched in and prepared everything. Although they were arranged marriages, since they chose to marry only from selected villages or within relatives, most families knew each other well; bride knew the groom etc. Since everybody pitched in, everybody got something packed to munch on the return journey.
Well, nowadays, I suppose the extra bakshnams are prepared to keep the relatives happy!

Cheers!

Sow. Amala, Have you tasted the traditional thirattupaal? Themost recently, I ate it about 7 or 8 years back. I can still feel the taste and texture. I thought only vaishnavas make thirattupaal. I could be wrong. It does not take too much time (That's where the partner come in handy... mostly I do the stirring But still I love it )

Cheers!

Sri RaghyJi ,

I have tasted the traditional thirattupal many years back when I was about 9-10 years old. I don't know how to make it the traditional way. You said it takes 3 hours to stir then now you its not too much time!. I can't possibly be stirring for that long :(

but then, what would i know about திரட்டுப்பால்? i have lost taste for sweets since past year and don't enjoy them anymore

Why have you lost taste for sweets?. Are you not supposed to have any?. Never mind KunjuppuJi, you're sweet enough as you are :kiss:

Sri Kunjuppu,

You have brought my schooldays to my memory.

The days when for a fast "Thirattupaal" I poured lemon drops into milk without mother knowing.She murmuring and saving situation by making 'Thirattupaal", the clever 'THIRUTTU Pal' enjoying the sweet.

Oh! Oh! the sweet days.

Sri SKJI,

Never knew you were so naughty!. If i did something like that my mother would probably smack me instead of making thirattupaal for me!.

amala,

unlike most of my relatives, who lived and literally died (diabetes) by the sugar stuff, my mom never got into that mode.

what sweet we had was some that my dad's north indian friends gave at deepavali time. the odd time, we would make தேங்காய பர்பி. but none of the ghee overflowing மைசூர் பாக்க or பால் தரட்டிப்பால் at our home. not even on functions, where the standard was பால் பாயசம்.

i never liked chocolates, and would enjoy an ice cream once in a while. this time, i had my first scoop only yesterday, since july. did not buy any sweets from grand sweets this time visit in september.

my kids who come home for xmas asked for
போளி which a kannada lady nearby makes. i had one, and did not feel like having any more.

just lost the taste for it. no regrets though.

SKJI No matter either it is Thiruttu pal or Thiratti pal all of like it Ok. I like most when it is brown in colour and made with Jaggary (Vellam) than the white stuff made with sugar How about you all ?

Sri RaghyJi ,

I have tasted the traditional thirattupal many years back when I was about 9-10 years old. I don't know how to make it the traditional way. You said it takes 3 hours to stir then now you its not too much time!. I can't possibly be stirring for that long :(

Sow.Amala, Of course it takes at least about 3 hours of stirring. When I said it does not take that long, I actually meant that it does not feel like 3 hours when doing it together. This (spending hours together in the guise of making a sweet) and more things like this are the perks in life! Thirattupaal is really an example ; it is a long process, no short cuts (lime juice in milk would get the milk curdled quicker; but does not taste that nice, and thirattupaal does not long that long).

The price we pay is the hardship of cleaning the vessel! One has to experience the process of making thirattupaal (with the right partner) to know the pleasure!

Cheers!

amala,

unlike most of my relatives, who lived and literally died (diabetes) by the sugar stuff, my mom never got into that mode.

what sweet we had was some that my dad's north indian friends gave at deepavali time. the odd time, we would make தேங்காய பர்பி. but none of the ghee overflowing மைசூர் பாக்க or பால் தரட்டிப்பால் at our home. not even on functions, where the standard was பால் பாயசம்.

i never liked chocolates, and would enjoy an ice cream once in a while. this time, i had my first scoop only yesterday, since july. did not buy any sweets from grand sweets this time visit in september.

my kids who come home for xmas asked for
போளி which a kannada lady nearby makes. i had one, and did not feel like having any more.

just lost the taste for it. no regrets though.

Even my mother avoided sweets for all of us with militant discipline as my nan passed away at a young age from diabetes because she was always making and eating sweets.

I don't crave sweets if I don't have it but when I do and get the sugar rush I feel I have to have more and find it hard to control. I haven't had any sweets till thirattupaal recently.

Sow.Amala, Of course it takes at least about 3 hours of stirring. When I said it does not take that long, I actually meant that it does not feel like 3 hours when doing it together. This (spending hours together in the guise of making a sweet) and more things like this are the perks in life! Thirattupaal is really an example ; it is a long process, no short cuts (lime juice in milk would get the milk curdled quicker; but does not taste that nice, and thirattupaal does not long that long).

The price we pay is the hardship of cleaning the vessel! One has to experience the process of making thirattupaal (with the right partner) to know the pleasure!

Cheers!

The vessel must be very very hard to clean and I can imagine must be scrubbed with the wire brush thing.

There seems to be 2 relationships in Brahmin vocabulary Orpadi and Shadagar. I dont get words in any other language to describe this relationship . Please enlighten :heh: Jambu

For a lady, her husband's brother's wife is ORPADI. Likewise, for a man, his wife's sister's husband is shadagar or co-brother. Otherwise this thread is for pakshanams in weddings and not for relationships???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back