• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Occasional Piece of Interesting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=+1][h=1]
[/h]
Alightning ‘arrester’ is installed in a tall building to protect it from lightning strikes. The lightning arrester is a long rod made of a good conductor of electricity like copper, with its one end being buried under the earth and the other one jutting out of the top of the house. The lightning arrester provides a path of least resistance for the lightning if and when it strikes the house. So, the lightning safely passes through the arrester down into the earth without damaging the house.
There is a parallel to this concept in the spiritual realm. We keep receiving one or more of the five sensory inputs from the external world, through our eyes, ears, nose, tongue and skin, every waking moment. These sensory inputs cause transformations of our mind which are called vikaaras. Essentially, they are the agitations of mind in the form of our six enemies – desire, anger, greed, attachment, pride and jealousy. Thus, our mind can be seen as a house and the sensory inputs from the external world as frequent lightning strikes.
However, wecan install a lightning arrester in our mind in the form of a spiritual attitude whose bedrock consists of vairagya bhav or asceticism, lack of ego, non-doership and non-duality. When i have a spiritual attitude, i am convinced that everything happens for a reason, as part of the big picture of the Divine. So, nothing can disturb the equanimity of my mind.
I have no likes or dislikes and hence am able to take life as it comes. I do not see any duality between myself and the rest of the world. Thus the spiritual attitude tackles the external stimulus and makes it pass harmlessly without affecting the mind one bit.
For example, when i smell a spicy hot dosa at a roadside stall, i am able to pause and tell myself that i don’t quite need to go for it if i am not really hungry. The vairagya bhav in me has helped me overcome the desire. When my car is hit by another vehicle at the rear, i do not get angry because i do not see any duality between the driver of that other vehicle and myself. It is like my eye not getting angry when i accidentally put my finger in my eye because eye and finger are both parts of the same body.
I am no more greedy to earn more and more money because vairagya bhav is firmly established in me. I do not feel sad when my daughter or son gets married and leaves home to make a new home of their own because i have no feelings of “me and mine”. If i get praised for some good work done by me in my office, i do not feel any sense of pride because i know i am not the doer and it is the Divine that has acted through me. I do not feel jealous if
i miss a promotion and a colleague of mine gets it because i have faith in the divine scheme of things and am disinterested in worldly things.
Many of us lack a spiritual attitude. Later, some of us realise that external stimuli are like lightning, damaging our peace of mind. Then we start exploring the various ways and means of protecting our mind against these lightning strikes. This effort, spiritual sadhana, when appropriately guided by a true guru appearing before us at the right time, becomes a lightning arrester for our mind.

When your affected by Lightning - Mr Kishore Kulkarni

[/SIZE]

You can also get car details on opening the webpage www.vahan.nic.in and entering your car no.
and last 4 digits of your chassis no.
Dhruves.
Hi All, May circulate for information and vide circulation.

Many times it happens that a Traffic Police ask for our Vehicle Registration Card and you have
forgot to carry it with you. Now no worries.. you can prove your ownership on the vehicle by
providing him the ownership details by just a single SMS. Great Service… VERY USEFUL.

Useful information which should be disseminated to all Citizens....

We can now know the ownership details of a vehicle using the Vehicle
registration number instantly through SMS.

Send a SMS to 092123 57123 typing

vahan <space> <regn number without space> For eg. If you want to find a owner of a car with
no : MH12TM9999 [any random no. ]
Then send sms vahan MH12TM9999 to 092123 57123. You will get details in seconds.

Useful in case of

Accidents - Hit and run cases.

Rash drivers on the road.

Catching Auto, taxi and Bus drivers

Compilor : Mr RM Ghosh

Last edited:
New Delhi: The Junejas of Geeta Colony in east Delhi tragically lost their son, Anmol, 21, in a road accident early last month.
But their brave decision to donate all his organs as the body lay in brain-dead state — an act that gave the gift of life to 30 people —
has now inspired many others to follow the example.
AIIMS has reported a three-fold increase in the number of such donations in the month after Anmol’s story first appeared in TOI.
The hospital has received 20 donations, three of whom were brain-dead patients who had offered all retrievable organs including the
heart, liver and kidneys.
Arti Vij, chief of the Organ Retrieval Banking Organization (ORBO) at AIIMS said these donations would ultimately help save
or improve the quality of life of at least 70 patients at various hospitals.
“About a dozen organs have already been transplanted, including a heart transplant conducted at AIIMS,” she said.
ORBO plans to make Anmol the
poster boy of its campaign for organ donations.
According to Vij, ORBO usually received just seven-eight donations a month and brain dead donations were very rare.
“The decision of Anmol’s family to donate their son’s organs, which got wide-coverage in the media, has made a significant change.
It has attached nobleness to the idea of gifting life to others. Several families have since approached us, offering to donate the
organs of their dear ones who have either passed away or have been declared brain-dead,” she said.
Anmol was the only son of Madan Mohan Juneja, a resident of Geeta Colony. He suffered head injuries in a bike accident on
December 7 which cause irreversible brain damage.
The family had on its own asked
doctors to harvest his organs. Three persons, including a 58-year-old man suffering from
end-stage liver failure and two kidney patients underwent successful transplants within 24 hours of the decision.
“We are going to put up Anmol’s picture on billboards urging people to donate organs,” said Vij. The idea was welcomed by
Anmol’s family. His uncle, D K Juneja, said, “I am happy that people are coming forward to donate organs. Anmol is physically
not alive today but his soul is alive in those who received his organs for life-saving transplant and he has now become a source
of inspiration to many others who are coming forward for organ donations.”
Once a patient is declared brain dead, as many as 37 different organs and tissues can be harvested, including the heart, kidneys,
liver, lungs and pancreas. Donation of an entire body can help over 40 people.
After clinical death — that is, when the heart stops and blood circulation ceases — only tissues like cornea, skin, bone and
heart walls can be used for transplant.

Source : Google

Do You have doubt in karma or rebirth ?Let us see what Paramahamsa Yogananda says about it.
He referred to it frequently--not as a concept,merely, as a simple fact.According to him it takes five to eight
million lives for a soul to evolve to the human level. With the beginning of anew day of Brahma,I throw
all these souls out again into Delusion. Bagavad Gita.

"Many of those who enter into creation at the beginning of a Day of Brahma are still wandering
in delusion at the end of it.''Omar Khayam

Recycled Eminent Personalities

1.Alexander The Great............................reborn as... The Hitler
2.Genghis Khan Stalin
3. Napoleon Winston Churchill
4.Mark Antony Mussolini
5.Benedict Arnold Roosevelt
6.Charles Lindbergh Abraham Lincoln
Interestingly The Great Arjuna of Mahabharata lived amongst us as
The great Master Yogi Paramahamsa Yogananda .

Karma is only individual. It affects groups of people, whether families,
communities,nations, or even whole planets.We are now,

as stated earlier,at a turning point in history;entering a new age.
many changes will come about. 'Europe',Yogananda said,"will be
devasted;Russia,annihilated, Japan,For its cruel invasion of China
in the 1930s, willbe conquered by China. America will survive all
difficulties, for its karma is basically good.

"England is finished."Edgar Cayce said that England"and the north
of Europe"will sink into sea in the blink of an eye. Is that what
Yogananda meant? Well, Time will tell.

U S and India, he said, are destined to work together for the
balanced development of the whole world;India, in her role of
guru to the world, and America, in her greater attunement to the rays
of this newage, and in her material efficiency. "many Indian souls,
he said,"are being born in America ,and many American souls are being
born in India,"so as to bring about this eventual balance.

Compilation : PARAMAHAMSA YOGANANDA-A BIOGRAPHY
ANADA SANGHA PUBLICATIONS.

Last edited:
சிரிக்க கணினி சிஸ்ட கவசம்

துதிப்போர்க்கு தொங்குதல்போம்
வைரஸ்போம்-நெஞ்சில் பதிப்போர்க்கு
பிராட்பேண்ட் களிப்பேற்றும்
கீபோர்டு விரைந்தோடும்
அனுதினமும் கணினி சிஸ்ட கவசமதனை

பின்னிப்பெடலெடுத்த பில்கேட்ஸ்தனை
உன்னிப்புடன் நெஞ்சே குறி!

காக்க காக்க கம்ப்யூட்டர் காக்க
அடியேன் சிஸ்ட
அழகுவேல் காக்க வின்டோசைக் காக்க
வேலன் வருக கனெக்ஷன் கொடுத்து
கனகவேல் காக்க இன்டெர்நெட் தன்னை
இனியவேல் காக்க பன்னிருவிழியால்
பாஸ்வேர்ட் காக்க செப்பிய வால்யூம்
செவ்வேல் காக்க வீடியோ ஆடியோ வெற்றி
வேல் காக்க முப்பத்திரு ஃபைல்
முனைவேல் காக்க வைரஸ் வாராமல்
வைரவேல் காக்க சேவிங் தன்னை
செந்தில் வேல் காக்க
எக்ஸ்டர்நல் மோடம் எதிர் வேல் காக்க
பில்ட் இன்மோடம் பிரிய வேல் காக்க
ஈமெயில் தன்னை இணையவேல் காக்க

மவுசை மகேசன் மைந்தன் காக்க
எர்ரர் வாராமல் எழில் வேல் காக்க
அடியேன் ப்ரின்டர் அமுதவேல் காக்க
எக்ஸ்ப்ளோரரை ஏரகத்தான் வேல் காக்க
அடியேன் ப்ரௌஸ் செய்கையில் அயில் வேல் காக்க
அல்லல் படுத்தும் அடங்கா எரர்கள் நில்லாதோட நீ
எனக்கருள்வாய்

ஹாங் ப்ராப்ளமும் ஹார்ட் டிஸ்க் ப்ராபளமும்
என் பெயர் சொல்லவும் இடி விழுந்தோடிட
ஆப்பரேட்டிங் > சிஸ்டத்தை
அலறவே வைத்திடும் ஃப்ளக்சுவேஷன் பவர்
சார்ஜுகளும் வாட்டம் விளைக்கும்
வோல்ட்டேஜுகளும் அடியேனைக் கண்டால்
அலறி கலங்கிட பிரிண்டர் சற்றும்
பிழையாதிருக்க பேப்பர் ஃபீடிங்
சூப்பராய்த் திகழ மை சப்ளை செய்யும்
காட்ரிட்ஜ் தன்னை மைய நடனம் செய்யும்
மயில் வாகனனார் காக்க
மூவாகல் மூர்க்கம் செய்யும் மவுஸ் என்கை பட்டதும்
ஸ்மூத்தாக நகர நீ எனக்கருள்வாய்

கிர்ரு, கிர்ரு, கிரு, கிரு என டிஸ்கனெக்ட் ஆகும்
டெலிபோன்களை போட்டதும் கனெக்ட் ஆக
புனிதவேல் காக்க கன்னா பின்னாவென்று வரும்
கமான்ட் இன்டட் ரெப்டுகளை கந்தன் கைவேல் காக்க
அல்லல் படுத்தும் அடங்கா பசங்களும்

பந்துகள் ஆடும்பாலர் பட்டாளமும் மானிட்டர் பக்கம்
வந்து விடாமல் என் பெயர் சொல்லவும் எகிறியே ஓட
ரேமும், ரோமும் மெமரியோடிருக்க அனைத்து
ஃபோர்டர்ஸீம் ஆயுளோடு விளங்க டௌன்லோடு, அப்லோடு
டக்கராய் விளங்கும் சிஸ்டம் பெற்று அடியேன்

சிறப்புடன் வாழ்க.
> அலட்சியம் செய்யும்
அலசியஸர்வீஸhர் அழைத்ததும் வந்திட
அருள் நீ புரிவாய்
ஷட்டௌன் தடங்கல் சட்டென்று நீங்க
ஷண்முகன் நீயும் சடுதியில் வருக
கணினி சிஸ்டம் கவசம் இதனை
சிந்தை கலங்காது கேட்பவர்கள்,

படிப்பவர்கள் எந்நாளும் பாடாய்
படுத்தாத kaணினியுடன்
வேலை செய்வார். வாழ்க கணினி.
வளர்க மவுஸ்.

சிரிக்க, சிரிக்க, கணினி சிஸ்டம் கேட்க.

Compilation : from friends

Selling Combs to Monks:

Let this information find you taking on impossible-sounding tasks &
accomplishing them. Here is an interesting story on sales!

There was a company which made combs. To expand its business the
management wanted to employ a new Sales Manager.

The company advertised the vacancy in the newspaper. Hundreds of people
turned up for the interview over few days.

The Company was now facing a problem of choosing the right candidate for
this position. So, the Chief Interviewer set a difficult task to choose
the candidate for a final interview.

The task was: Selling combs to monks in Buddhist monasteries!

Only 3 applicants were willing to stay on for this final interview
challenge. (A, B, C)

The Chief Interviewer instructed them: "Now I want the three of you to
sell these wooden combs to the monks in the monasteries. You only have
10 days to do it and report to me after that."

After 10 days, they reported.

The Chief Interviewer asked A: "How many combs did you sell?"

A answered: "Only one."

The Chief Interviewer asked: "How did you manage to sell?

A answered: "The monks in the monastery scolded me when I show them the
comb. But on my way back to downhill I met a young monk who bought it to
scratch his head.

The Chief Interviewer then asked B: "How many did you sell?

B replied: "10 pieces. I went to a shrine and noticed many devotees'
hair was tangled due to strong winds outside the shrine. The monk in
there listened to my advice and bought 10 combs for their devotees."

Then, the Chief Interviewer asked C: "How about you?"

C replied: "1,000 units."

The Chief Interviewer and the other 2 candidates were astounded.

The Chief Interviewer asked: "How did you do that!!?"

C replied: "I went to a famous monastery. After observing for few days I
discovered that there were many tourists. I then told the Chief Abbot
there. "Sifu, those who come here are very devoted. If you could give
them a gift, it will be more memorable for them. I told him that I have
a bulk of combs here and asked him to craft his handwriting on the combs
as a present to those who visit here. He was very delighted and straight
away ordered 1,000 pieces."

Notice that whenever you took on a tough challenge with a belief that
you will face it and find a way out, you achieved beyond all
expectations and came out shining!!

We always have a choice: How we respond to a huge target, how big we
think & accomplish.

May you connect with your true capacity to dream big and bring that into
reality.

Information : Compiled from friends

New Delhi: The Junejas of Geeta Colony in east Delhi tragically lost their son, Anmol, 21, in a road accident early last month.
But their brave decision to donate all his organs as the body lay in brain-dead state — an act that gave the gift of life to 30 people —
has now inspired many others to follow the example.
Source : Google

We are all using Google as Source. So, the proper reference is:
Anmolâ??s story leads to spurt in organ donations - Times Of India

சிரிக்க கணினி சிஸ்ட கவசம்

துதிப்போர்க்கு தொங்குதல்போம்
வைரஸ்போம்-நெஞ்சில் பதிப்போர்க்கு
பிராட்பேண்ட் களிப்பேற்றும்
கீபோர்டு விரைந்தோடும்
அனுதினமும் கணினி சிஸ்ட கவசமதனை

சிரிக்க, சிரிக்க, கணினி சிஸ்டம் கேட்க.

Compilation : from friends

This is what I received in the mail:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/sies-1969/IqV1kiRtBJs/qMefYeIXiH8J

[h=2]Love In The Corporate Context[/h][h=4]Discourse: Swami Sukhabodhananda[/h]

Love has mysterious ways of being fulfilled. All of us seek fulfilment in some form or other. Some seek it in relationships; others seek it through power, name, fame or money. The common factor, however, is the truth that all of us seek fulfilment. All things that we seek, except love, put us in “wanting mode” and not in “fulfilling mode”. Love is the only energy which mysteriously makes you feel fulfilled.
So, in the corporate context, can you bring in love? Yes, if you do what you love and love what you do. Love your work, love your difficulties and love the richness of difference between you and your boss. What is wrong with having differences? Why should you see the difference without the energy of love? If you bring love energy to your work front, then you won’t be needing a holiday from work, for the work itself
becomes a holiday.
Love is experienced when you accept people for what they are and motivate them to peak their potential. Love makes one enjoy-one's
relationship and one’s work and builds trust. Through this process, you accept the weakness and faults of the other – be it your boss or spouse – and learn to love them for what they are.
During the civil war, someone approached Abraham Lincoln and said, “We have an enemy, and somehow we should get rid of them. Destroy them.” Lincoln responded, “If i turn my enemy into a friend, have i not slain my enemy?”
This is the power of love. Lincoln continued his commitment to make friends of his enemies. Can we learn from Lincoln the power of love, the power of commitment?

In one’s organisation there can be internal enemies. Instead of being stressed out, learn to love them, accept them, make friends and transform them. The whole process involves love, which leads to fulfilment.
Love gives the power of “direct perception”. In day-to-day living, there is no direct perception because your perception is through resistance. You resist through your likes and dislikes. Your likes and dislikes become your rigid framework.
Without direct perception, in the corporate world, you can’t see others objectively; for your rigid likes and dislikes interfere in your perception. You try to safeguard and protect what you want and hence are not free to see the other objectively.
Understanding happens, when you see the “other” person as he is. This is true both at the workplace and at home. Understanding comes through being aware of “what is”. To know “what is”, you should not allow your interpre
tation, prejudice and conclusions to interfere in your perception. See “what is” without condemnation, without giving personal slants that is always in “self-love”.
True love is not self-love. Self-love is exclusive whereas true love is always inclusive; it is never exclusive. When you exclude the other, you are in conflict with the other and hence there is chaos. When you truly love the other, then you include the other so that you are not in conflict. Team spirit happens in such an inclusive space.
The corporate world will be in pink of health, if you learn to explore how to bring in love as the basis of your work. This should be our real goal. From this backdrop, go ahead in reaching your materialistic targets. Then life is truly fulfilling.

The Wondering Minstrels: The Lama -- Ogden Nash

Poem #1080 The Lama
The one-l lama, He's a priest.

The two-l llama, He's a beast.

And I will bet A silk pajama

There isn't any Three-l lllama.

(to which Nash appended the footnote *The author's attention has been called to a type of conflagration known as a three-alarmer. Pooh.)

Nov 13, 2006 New York Times Crossword puzzle Theme is based on the above Ogden Nash Poem

THEME: L's - three 15-letter theme answers are clued "One-L lama," "Two-L llama," and "Three-L lllama?" (the answers are, in order, BUDDHISTHOLYMAN, ANDESPACKANIMAL, and [I apologize for even repeating this, but I have a point to make] BLAZEINBROOKLYN)

You can read more about
Rex Parker Does the NYT Crossword Puzzle: MONDAY, Nov. 13, 2006 - Peter A. Collins

-- A crossword novice but an addict :(

இருட்டில் பிடித்த கொழுக்கட்டை!

Sri. Naina, Greetings.

(I am parking a message in this thread. If you think this doesn't belong here, kindly say so; I would either remove it or have it removed).

I always wondered what the heck was "இருட்டில் பிடித்த கொழுக்கட்டை!".... I think, I got the answer.. or at least I imagine so!

If I sleep for about 4 to 5 hours I feel fresh... but the sleep is not enough anyway. So often times I would wake up in the early hours and wonder what to do. That turns out beneficial for my wife. She would be next to me and I would start massaging her arms. ( the many number of bed makings take toll on the arm. Leaves lasting pain. She doesn't work in orthopaedics anymore.. still the pain persists).

She would make all these satisfied noises and I would carry on until I fall asleep again. One night I really gave a very good massage.... like massaging hard and holding it for few seconds... she was very pleased.

That was like "இருட்டில் பிடித்த கொழுக்கட்டை!"

the next day she had all these bruises in the upper arm where I massaged! I noticed that only in the following evening... "இருட்டில் பிடித்த கொழுக்கட்டை!"

Cheers!

Raghy Sir:
Your post #614
If I sleep for about 4 to 5 hours I feel fresh... but the sleep is not enough anyway
IMO, this sentence appears to be an oxymoron.
If the sleep is not enough, how can you feel fresh?

Last edited:
Raghy Sir:
Your post #614
IMO, this sentence appears to be an oxymoron.
If the sleep is not enough, how can you feel fresh?

Sri. Naina, Greetings.

It may sound like oxymorn, but true. My sleep can get disturbed quite easily. If I slept for about 4 or 5 hours, it would be very hard for me to go back to sleep. It make take few hours before I could sleep some more. I like to get about 7 hours sleep. But usually don't happen continously.

But after a 4 hour sleep, I do feel too fresh to go back to sleep. That's what I meant. If that is oxymoron, then it is oxymoron! :)

Cheers!

The kids dance only 'jathi steps' for the swaram portion of the swarajathi!

Hope I have confused enough! :lol:

It is so refreshing to see the tiny little foreigners
dressed in Indian clothes, wearing Indian thilakam(bindi),
learning Indian classical dance Bharatanataym
and dancing for the swarajathi in Bilahari
Ra ra venugopaa paala! :clap2:
Thank you dear prof N_M for posting this. :yo:

I am glad that there is at least one person who appreciates what this posting stands for!

Bernice Gordan who is 98 years old still constructs cross word puzzles
(and they get published in New York Times and LA Times) - In fact
todays (Feb 4, 2013) LA Times cross word puzzle http://crosswordcorner.blogspot.com/2013/02/monday-february-4-2013-bernice-gordon.html is by her. I first came to know of
er when I solved a new york times puzzle ( Rex Parker Does the NYT Crossword Puzzle: Ovid's book of love poetry / MON 7-2-12 / 1970s TV's Ramsey / Actor John of Sands of Iwo Jima / Small lab container ) a few months ago. Her puzzles
are pretty challenging She is very inspiring.

Penn Gazette | Alumni : Profiles

Last edited:
Making a good example of anti-social behaviour

Unruly flight passengers sentenced in Bermuda court

Three Canadians were accused of smoking during a Sunwing Airlines flight that left Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada for the Dominican Republic on Friday ( Feb 1), and were sentenced in a Bermuda court ( on Feb 4 ) after their plane was forced to make an emergency landing on the island of Bermuda. All three were charged with disobeying lawful commands under the Air Navigation (Overseas Territories) Order.

The MacNeils (husband, wife, son) are from Mabou, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada. MacNeil Sr. (husband) pleaded guilty to behaving in a disorderly manner and using abusive and insulting words. Wife Donna MacNeil pleaded guilty to disobeying lawful commands. Son, David MacNeil Jr.was charged with smoking on the plane. Prosecutors decided not to charge them with smoking offence on the plane. But, the husband and wife were sentenced to either a $500 fine or 10 days in prison. The son was let go free.

The flight was diverted on the night of Feb 1 after a passenger alerted the crew about the alleged smokers. Bermuda Police Service said at least one of the MacNeils became verbally abusive in the cabin. Police said that the husband was the one who became verbally abusive, using coarse language like, "You f---ing ass----, I just pissed all over thefloor".

Daryl McWilliams, vice-president of media relations for Sunwing airlines, said:"It's been 20 years since people were allowed to smoke on an aircraft, .....they were putting other people's lives at risk".

He also said that airline plans to sue the family for costs associated with diverting the plane. "It’s something that we don’t do very often. We do it in cases where we think the activity has been flagrant. It usually requires going beyond verbal abuse."

The estimated cost of diverting the flight is around $50,000, which include:

· Landing fees at Bermuda airport.
· Flying a mechanic to Bermuda to examine the aircraft for defects (standard operating procedure for overweight planes.)
· Cost to hire crew to search plane for cigarette butts to make sure they were extinguished.
· Accommodations for passengers and crew overnight in Bermuda.
· Accommodations for passengers scheduled to fly home from the Dominican Republic on the diverted plane.

Mr.McWilliams (spokesman for the airline)said that since the plane had to land before its scheduled destination, it was overweight due to the unburned fuel onboard. Since the offending family members were not co-operative, the company had to pay a crew to search for cigarette butts. "They... refused to say what they did with their cigarettes so that meant that there was a potentially hazardous material, which was an incendiary, on board the aircraft,"

CBCNews Feb 4, 2013

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back