• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Occasional Piece of Interesting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behind the ladies is not that behind sir! :nono:

Behind means pinnaalE / pinnaadi /
not Senthil Goundamani's pinnaadi!

I have no pet theories / themes which deserve
to be discussed in secrecy or privacy.

As for the divine guidance to locate the targets for
the objects freely falling from the sky and
also those thrown down on purpose, please read on...

A Greek philosopher and playwright Aeschylus
was destined to die by a blow from the blue sky. :fear:

He was determined to cheat his fate and settled down
in a desert area in which nothing - yes almost nothing-
could ever fall on his head from above.

But Fate had its own plans. :heh:

A giant eagle saw his shining dome and mistook it for a highly polished hard stone. It wanted to shatter the shell of the turtle with the help of this 'stone'.

So the turtle - packed between two hard shells - was dropped with a perfect aim on his dome giving him his instant moksha as promised - by a blow from the blue.

Morals of the story.

1. Nothing happens without a valid reason.

2. Never ever try to cheat your Destiny. It can make alternate and better
plans than we can.

3. Never go out in the sun light without covering the shining dome with a cap or cloth or a helmet lest you invite trouble from unexpected quarters.

4. Never assume that you can always have the last word!! :)

Dear A M Sir,

Mine was a 'gastric'
trouble
! You must be aware that it is connected with acid in the stomach.

Here is a nice advice to avoid gastric trouble:

Gastric problems have became very common these days. The reason is-changing patterns of food, fast foods, failure to take

diet for long hours during office work etc. However, the best way to avoid gastric problems is to take meals at short intervals

and to drink milk during night before sleeping. If severe problems such as gastritis occur, antacids may be taken.

Dear Tmt VR

Your post # 577 - nice story and nice morals spelled out. The character in the episode met with his
death, yes - but that doesn't quite tantamount to 'Moksha' ! Well, I am no intellectual therefore don't
want to get into any discussion / debate on philosophy.

Well, to all the loving and affectionate folk on the TB Forum, I am going to miss you all for a while - on my way to the Kumbh Mela - my third. There was an Ardh Kumbh in 2007 as well. My 1st, in '77, everything was just a haze. By the next in '89 I had read ' Hermit in the Himalayas ' and ' A Search in Secret India ' - both by Paul Brunton and
Yogananda Paramahamsa's 'Autobiography of a Yogi'. It then meant a lot, as it did in 2001.

In 2007, it was purely for rituals - oblations to the departed souls and included Varanasi, Gaya and
Bodh Gaya in our itinerary.

Incidentally [ for those who are not already aware of it ], the Yogi book is available with transliteration in Tamil
- "Oru Yogiyin Suya Charitham ". I would readily recommend these three books as 'must reads".

Guruvethunai

Yay Yem

By the next in '89 I had read ' Hermit in the Himalayas ' and ' A Search in Secret India ' - both by Paul Brunton

What an irony!!! A foreigner has to write such books
to make the Indians know about their own country!

Your post # 577 - nice story and nice morals spelled out. The character in the episode met with his
death, yes - but that doesn't quite tantamount to 'Moksha' ! Well, I am no intellectual therefore don't
want to get into any discussion / debate on philosophy.

That man was living in a desert in solitude and self discipline.
He would not have hurt a fly - unless he took to eating the desert lizards.
If he won't get moksha ...who else will?

Have you heard of fractional soups?
Even in big restaurants in the west
it is customary to order 1/2 or 1/3 soup
since the serving would be a very large
for those who are not Midaak kudiyargal! :)

Its a beautiful & stunning video..Nature is much more amazing then we can ever think off..

Dear Tmt VR

Ref your post # 581

I am sure there have been Great Masters who have contributed a lot to humanity in several languages

The works of Paul Brunton had a profound impact upon me probably because:

1 . My absolutely hopeless proficiency in Tamil.
2 . The casual ease with which he conveys his message - it's like reading Linda Goodman. Indian writers tend
to get far too flowery and verbose with things like:

" His Exalted Holiness Sri La Sri xxxx Ji Maharaj , whose lotus feet shone like a thousand suns and whose very
presence elevated multitudes of devoted souls to a state of absolute bliss, graced the occasion by
condescending to be with mundane mortals [like me] to witness the ablution of the presiding deity at the
sanctum sanctorum ".

Ugh !
He could've just said " The Guruji attended the abhishekam at the Temple " .

So, sometimes it becomes difficult to understand whether the writer is trying to say something or
whether he is trying prove his superior vocabulary to the reader, making the reading heavy.

You are right - soon a scholar [preferably a white-man] from an acclaimed university in the west will publish
a research paper that will establish [ beyond reasonable doubt ] the superiority of the usage of water over the
usage of toilet paper. Ha, we deserve that .

Yay Yem

dear Mr. A.M,

People like to hear their own voice ( like me) :ear:

People like to read their words (as most of the pompous and flowery authors)

In fact the author of the popular Harry Potter series J.K.Rowling is ofter accused of writing volumes and volumes - since she likes to read her own writing.

I personally believe that there should NOT be even one extra word which can be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence we write.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

We Indians are used to Sree la sree and kattiam like paraak araak proclaiming the visit of kings and VIPs.

As for the toilet paper vs water treatment, I personally prefer the first followed by the second for cleanliness and for saving the precious water.

If People prefer to have clean and dry bath rooms, we have respect it.

As for the toilet paper vs water treatment, I personally prefer the first followed by the second for cleanliness and for saving the precious water.....
Dear Sis,

Even trees are precious! How is the paper made?
Ok now.... Let us get :focus: - Some interesting information! :cool:

Respect the Sacred, Ignore the Sexism

Shoba Narayan is a columnist and the author of two books: "Monsoon Diary" and "Return to India."
She has written articles for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Town& Country, etc. She writes a weekly column for Mint Lounge, an Indian business daily which is affiliated with the WSJ.

An excerpt from her recent column which appeared in the New York Times dated January 9, 2013.

I am a Hindu. … I … have vexing issues with certain aspects of Hinduism. Like most religions, it is patriarchal -- something that the feminist in me deeply resents -- and its rituals, though beautiful, can be tedious. But at the end of the day, the mantras, chanting, yoga and other Hindu traditions are what I know and cherish, and what I want to share with mychildren … but in a Hinduism-lite way. I tell my daughters that religions are products of a certain era; they have outdated rules…. (that are no longer relevant. They need to be reinterpreted to suit the times and ourlives).

I believe that raising children within the broad precepts of a religion is good for them. Faith grounds them and gives them part of their identity. My hope is that it will help them later when life throws monkey-wrenches at them. I hope that chanting the mantras that they learned at home will give them the strength and resilience to deal with difficulties. Studies have shown that faith helps to preserve relationships, and enhance longevity, health and happiness.

Although Hinduism is an easy religion to follow — we don't have to keep kosher or go on pilgrimages, for example — there are some constraints that continue to make me uncomfortable as the mother of two daughters. Sons have to cremate fathers, for instance, and mantras like the Rudram, a hymn in praise of Lord Shiva, are supposed to be chanted only by men.

Such sexist rules anger me. I combat them through disobedience. And I try not to expose my daughters to them. They don't know,for example, that they are not supposed to chant the Rudram. They've certainly heard women in our community chant it enough times (and me attempt to chant it in bits and pieces). As for sons being in charge of cremating the parents, mydaughters, at 16 and 11, are too young to ponder this. Instead, we have tangential discussions. I tell my daughters that Hinduism — and indeed all religions — are products of a certain era. They all contain rules that are no longer relevant.
They need to be reinterpreted to suit the times and our lives.

I want my girls to be strong women capable of anything.I want them to imbibe a faith that gives them strength but is also flexible enough to accommodate their dreams and circumstances. For now, Hinduism will do.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/01/08/with-children-when-does-religion-go-too-far/in-hinduism-respect-the-sacred-ignore-the-sexism

Last edited:

Did we ever imagine a shirt costing $230,000??

Look at this man wearing it...

123.jpg

India has long had a love affair with gold. But one businessman there is so infatuated with the precious metal,

he dropped about $230,000 on solid gold shirt. M
ore than two dozen goldsmiths toiled for 15 days for lender

Datta Phuge, who custom ordered the seven-pound top to wear for New Year’s festivities, according to the

Pune Mirror. The shirt is crafted from 14,000 22-karat gold rings linked together and comes with six Swarovski

crystal buttons and a belt also made of gold.

Read more here:
Indian man buys $230,000 solid gold shirt as 'investment'

More than the cost, the look of the shirt and the accessories that go with it,

I am surprised at the close resemblance of this man to our Chennai cousin Shankar!!! :faint:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back