• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Non-Brahmins urging Brahmins to be Sattvic!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which again brings us to the ultimate paradox. Siva, the first Brahmin (Adi-Brahman), is portrayed as trawling cremation grounds and getting high on weed.

Yet, He is also the source of the word 'Saivam' which embodies anything Sattvic. I think Brahmins are facing existential crises, and other castes are filling the vacuum. Whether it's good (I hope it is) or not, our progeny might be able to gauge in about 100+ years from now.

Is Siva really a brahmin? I thought he was not. Also Hanuman was portrayed as our ancestor, but he also is portrayed as a brahmin. Were they real or were they simply portrayed as brahmins?

Careful of what? We abuse only brahmins and brahmin practices.

I do hope that participants understand that this site is open to all including NB. WE need to be careful, even though the site is called TB. So be careful of what is said.

Guna's are not caste based. Lord Krishna was not a Brahmin. Every living thing has all 3 gunas in various proportion at any given time.

Is Siva really a brahmin? I thought he was not. Also Hanuman was portrayed as our ancestor, but he also is portrayed as a brahmin. Were they real or were they simply portrayed as brahmins?

Assault ji,

God is beyond Gunas...that is what Brahman is all about.

So we need not humanize God by giving Him a caste.

So if you ask me I would not even want to say the Lord Krishna,Lord Rama etc were Non Brahmins cos they are Avatars and beyond Gunas and Duality.

All caste,creed and opposites only apply to us humans.

For many reasons - dakshina, preservation of rituals, hope of enlightenment and universal benefit (this is implied in all rituals)

But shouldnt the person you are working for be Dharmic?

I once resigned from a private clinic cos I got to know that the clinic owner was not ethical

I did not want to hang around such a place and get paid by an Adharmic individual.

I think its important that a person works for a Dharmic individual isnt it?

I once resigned from a private clinic cos I got to know that the clinic owner was not ethical

I did not want to hang around such a place and get paid by an Adharmic individual.

What is the difference between caste and varnashrama dharma? Why is the term Varna dharma acceptable? What determines a person's 'guna'? Why are Brahmins perceived as 'sattvic'? There are many other priestly castes who are not Brahmins, and who abhor even onion and garlic. Part of the problem can be, Hinduism is couched in layers, and just when you think you've understood one facet, ten other contradictory facets emerge.

Dear Ash,

Answers in blue:

What is the difference between caste and varnashrama dharma?

Caste comes from the Portuguese and Spanish word Casta meaning Clan or Lineage.

Varnashrama is a Sanskrit word pertaining more to one's Dharma and Stage of Life.

Why is the term Varna dharma acceptable?

Varna Dharma terms seems more acceptable cos it recognizes the fundamental differences between humans in terms of acceptable behavior and lifestyle and does not call for pride and prejudice.

What determines a person's 'guna'?

Ask Vaagmi ji..he will give you a gene theory!LOL

Ok just kidding..actually if you ask me..I really dont know the answer to that cos environmental factors do play a very important role in shaping our behavior and intellect and at the same time the human mind is unstable like waves in a sea and can rock back forth in the ocean of Samsara..so at any given time our Gunas can change from one Guna to another.

Why are Brahmins perceived as 'sattvic'?

Becos Sattva is always thought to be a non violent lifestyle,religious and vegetarian lifestyle.

But technically Sattva is much more than that..its Trikarana Suddhi..Coordination of Thought,Word and Deed in a manner that is least harmful to others and one own's self.
Going by this definition Sattvagunamayi individuals are a rare find.

There are many other priestly castes who are not Brahmins, and who abhor even onion and garlic.

Yes many Non Priestly Non Brahmins are vegetarians who do not even wear silk sarees or use leather products and like Count Dracula they also avoid garlic!

Part of the problem can be, Hinduism is couched in layers, and just when you think you've understood one facet, ten other contradictory facets emerge

Actually there is no layer..God kept it simple..we humans complicated the truth.

Last edited:
Dear Ash,

Answers in blue:

Hmm.. is varna dharma applicable only to individuals pursuing different occupations, or also between religions? Like say, there's no connection between ghulam khader and Gokulashtami..

Perhaps people like me can be considered the very embodiment of Sattva guna with not even a shred of rajas or tamo gunas.

Last edited:
Ash my answers are in blue.

Hmm.. is varna dharma applicable only to individuals pursuing different occupations, or also between religions? Like say, there's no connection between ghulam khader and Gokulashtami..

Every religion has its own Dharma and each occupation has its own Dharma.

Perhaps people like me can be considered the very embodiment of Sattva guna with not even a shred of rajas or tamo gunas.

Nope..you are wrong! You are NOT Sattvaswarupa..You are NIRGUNA!

Ash Ji Ki Jai!

Perhaps bhishma is the right person; depends on the adharmic level and activities of the boss, job description of the dharmic subordinate and the circumstances. Bhishma, drona, vidura and sanjaya were all working for and under dritharashtra and duryodana. Difficult to give a yes-no answer.

Perhaps bhishma is the right person; depends on the adharmic level and activities of the boss, job description of the dharmic subordinate and the circumstances. Bhishma, drona, vidura and sanjaya were all working for and under dritharashtra and duryodana. Difficult to give a yes-no answer.

Which leaves Siva as the only Nirguna Brahman.

We vaishnavites accept only saguna brahman, sriman narayana, sriman narayana, sriman narayana, as echoed by narada.

Sarang ji,

Why are there 3 Sriman Narayanas in your post?

Narayana is the One and Only for you isnt it?

We vaishnavites accept only saguna brahman, sriman narayana, sriman narayana, sriman narayana, as echoed by narada.

Kara-Caranna Krtam Vaak-Kaaya-Jam Karma-Jam Vaa |
Shravanna-Nayana-Jam Vaa Maanasam Va-Aparaadham |
Vihitam-Avihitam Vaa Sarvam-Etat-Kssamasva |
Jaya Jaya Karunna-Abdhe Shrii-Mahaadeva Shambho ||

Meaning:
1: Whatever Sins have been Committed by Actions Performed by my Hands and Feet, Produced by my Speech andBody, Or my Works,
2: Produced by my Ears and Eyes, Or Sins Committed by my Mind (i.e. Thoughts),
3: While Performing Actions which are Prescribed (i.e. duties prescribed by tradition or allotted duties in one's station of life), As Well as All other Actions which are Not explicitly Prescribed (i.e. actions done by self-judgement, by mere habit, without much thinking, unknowingly etc); Please Forgive Them All,
4: Victory, Victory to You, O Sri Mahadeva Shambho, I Surrender to You, You are an Ocean of Compassion.

I feel current PM is the avatar of Bhishma, being used by the Nehru clan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back