• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins eating non-vegeterian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear RR ji,

Once I was doing an autopsy and the stomach contents of the deceased was noodles..he just ate it and died after eating ..died in an accident.

When I saw the noodles I thought "Ok after autopsy I need to order noodles"

Once also I was in class and we were giving a specimen of worms in formalin to identify which worms they were..then too I felt "need to order spaghetti after this"

Once I was baking some stuff and I thought the dough color prior to baking looked like fecal matter and I was thinking "lets hope the cookies dont taste like fecal matter too"!LOL

Once when I ate cauliflower I thought that it resembled a venereal wart I saw once in a patients rear region.

So you see I can look at anything and think of something else right away.

So next time when you see any Gobi Manchurian think about how the cute Gobi was in a garden..kissed by the sun..a lovely cow gazing at it and contributed some urea and manure for it and then gifted it to you..so think that way all will be nice!LOL

Dear Renu,

Already I have some aversion to Gobi and now you are talking about cow's contribution of urea and manure to those plants! :fear:

RRji let me assure you beetroot is completely vegetarian.

Also blood may not always be red. Ex. Blood of insects or shrimp.

Happy to be Vegeterian

Very true, TBS Sir. My son and many of our nephews and nieces are settled in the U S of A, with their families and all of them are

vegetarians and teetotallers. V R maam two sons and families are vegans. It is easy to be a vegan there, since many soy products

are available, to replace milk and dairy products! :)

I have been living here in USA for over 14 years now and we and my children aged 14 and 9 are Vegetarian. My kids are also proud to announce to their friends that they are Vegetarian. so like somebody said above "where there is a will, there is always a way".

Namaste.

Always aberration is there in God created living beings. A lot of my friends even drink tea in a non vegitarian hotel. It is all KALIKALAM. We may not be allowed to see the end of this aberration. The non vegeterian food eaters from brahmin family will know that they are only creations of the Great Almighty God we call and they will turn back to vegeterianism as quickly as they had embraced the non vegeterianism. Ohm Nmasivaya ! Sivaya Nama Ohm!

Discussion on eating non vegetarian food is akin the discussion our "beloved" political netas have on Times Now Channel with the firebrand Arnab Goswamy.There is no end to this discussion.

Chapter 5 Manu Smriti

Stanza 36

Let a Brahmana never eat the flesh of an animal,unconsecrated by Mantras; conforming to the eternal ordinance,he must always eat the consecrated flesh.

Chapter 5 Manu Smriti

Stanza 39

For the purpose of religious sacrifices the beast were created by the self-origined one,the sacrifice is for the elevation of the whole universe,hence killing is not killing in a religious sacrifice.

Now this is so similar to Abrahmic religions that claim God made animals for man to eat!

It seems to be Manusmiriti must have been written when man was still evolving in thought and not yet reached the level of total civilization.Becos only an evolving mind that has not reached its full potential will try to justify its actions by making even a wrong seem right and would make excuses for anything.

It seems that men of which ever Varna was meat crazy and wanted to make it legitimate and made it part of a Yagna to make it pure for consumption..that's just like Kosher! I wonder how does killing an animal painfully elevates the whole universe?Does not seem to have logic here.

So far only Lord Buddha never made excuses..that is the sign of an evolved mind.

I guess we humans should thank Lord Buddha for His Ahimsa and non killing of animals..I guess that turned many Hindus vegetarian.

Last edited:
Renukaji,
I agree with your view, in spite of the claim that "animals" in yagams were symbolic. I have seen real animals being sacrificed in such yagams in Brahmin houses.
The history of vegetarianism has its roots in the civilizations of ancient India and ancient Greece. Vegetarianism is the theory and practice of voluntary non-consumption of the flesh of any animal (including sea animals), with or without also eschewing other animal derivatives (such as dairy products or eggs). The earliest records of vegetarianism as a concept and practice amongst a significant number of people concern ancient India and the ancient Greek civilizations in southern Italy and Greece. In both instances the diet was closely connected with the idea of nonviolence toward animals (called ahimsa in India), and was promoted by religious groups and philosophers.

In antiquity, vegetarianism found favour with some of the great figures of the classical world, most notably Pythagoras (580 BCE). Well known for his contributions to mathematics, Pythagoras was an independent thinker, the first to admit women to his intellectual circle on equal terms and to argue that the world was a sphere. His teaching that all animals should be treated as kindred included the abstinence from meat. Pythagoras's ideas mirrored, in part, the traditions of much earlier civilisations including the Babylonians and ancient Egyptians. A vegetarian ideology was practised among religious groups in Egypt around 3,200BCE, with abstinence from flesh and the wearing of animal derived clothing based upon karmic beliefs in reincarnation.
https://www.vegsoc.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=830

Renukaji,
I agree with your view, in spite of the claim that "animals" in yagams were symbolic. I have seen real animals being sacrificed in such yagams in Brahmin houses.

Prasadji,

You mean TB houses..I have not heard of this..Where did you see this

I am ashamed of saying that Brahmin community is the worst and the first to get degenerate . In 20 years time this community will disappear.
sundararajan.

sundararajanji
Namaskaram. I am also of the same view as yours. In another 20 years, there will not be any brahmins left. And it appears that nobody is bothered about it. The problem is that our priorities have changed over time. We have shifted from peaceful purposeful simple life to rich super rich and valueless life. Only time will teach our next generations that money will come and money will go but Providence is the only one that is reliable

it is not possible to stop anybody from eating or drinking they like.most of our children when they go to china..japan..australia ..usssr..they dont find veg food when they r hungry. also veg means different for different culture...so our children eat anything they get.cant blame them.our parents didnt eat onion and white-onion which v eat daily now.

Vegetarianism is being lauded all over the world for the following factors
1. Low risk of heart diseases , cancer, kidney stone problems, Type 2 diabetes, obesity, bone loss, blood pressure
2. Low calorie intake. Eat as much vegetables and fruits as you can . Still the calorie intake is very less. Compare this to a bottle of coke or a cheese burger
3. Vegetables are important sources of Vitamin C, A, folic acid and dietary fiber

All these are available in various books and internet. In most of the television channels there is a special programme almost twice a week on nutrition and health. ' Unavum Arogyamum ' of Pothigai is one such example.

I do not know whether the climate and environment at Europe or US calls for eating non vegetarian food to sustain the weather there. But Gandhiji went to Manchester without proper clothing and with a bare chest and did not eat non vegetarian food.

But in India, you do not require the non vegetarian food to survive. When traditional non vegetarians are turning to vegetarianism due to the above advantages, I do not undertand why our people are after it. I believe that eating animal flesh will tend to make us more animal than human. We will lose our patience, our tolerance, our humility, and importantly our 'naan yaarum illai' ' attitude towards the God. The non veg food will induce fighting amongst ourselves like the Taliban or ISIS as we eat more animal flesh. The animal that goes into the body will manifest itself through our behaviour.
Let us be proud of being brahmins and that we eat to live and NOT kill to eat and then kill not to eat.

I am having real fun reading Manu Smirti.

It seems that things were not as much as orthodox back then..wonder why these days everyone wants to be tooooooo orthodox!

Manu Smirti talks about Brahmanas doing work like meat selling, atheist Brahmanas and gold stealing Brahmanas..well Manu does not talk highly about these types..but thats besides the point.

So its shows that all types of Brahmanas existed even in the time of Manu..I did not know Atheism was there even in times of Manu!

So its not as if only Forum has Athiest Brahmanas!LOL

So I guess we should not be too harsh on anyone not adhering to orthodox lifestyles..after all even in the times of Manu....there were those who did not adhere to all these and they could have been ancestors of anyone today!

The non veg food will induce fighting amongst ourselves like the Taliban or ISIS as we eat more animal flesh. The animal that goes into the body will manifest itself through our behaviour.

dear sir,

Even though I am a vegetarian..I would like to differ with you on this.

I dont think eating flesh brings out the animal in us.

After all humans mainly eat harmless animals like Herbivours(Cow,Goat) and chicken and fish..these type of animals are generally docile.

Humans do not eat carnivores like Tigers and Lions...so how does aggression get into us?

I dont feel human aggression is due to meat intake but it is due to desires, twisted philosophies and also religion.

We must not be misled to think those who eat veg food are gentle generally..cos cowardice and gentleness can outwardly look the same!LOL

Vegetarianism is a habit and for some people, a fad! Much of this world is non-vegetarian, and if everyone were to turn into complete vegetarian, eschewing animal products like milk and milk-products of all kinds, honey, etc., there is likely to be a great famine for food because both the animal- and human- kingdoms will compete to get their food from the available vegetarian stocks.

Brahmanas were meat-eating in the olden days. In the Brihadaranya Upanishad, sage Yajnavalkya is depicted as saying that he relishes the meat of a calf not more than two years old. Many grihya sutras say that unless meat preparations are offered to the Brahmanas taking part in Sraaddhas, our pitrus' hunger will not be satiated (and they will pronounce curse upon us!); the meat of the porcupine is stated to be the best since it will keep the pitrus free from hunger for the longest time (If I remember correct, one human year!).

Now, we Brahmanas, by means of a stroke of the pen, so to say, overruled these opinions of all our old Rishis and have sworn our allegience to the pseudo-vegetarianism in which cow's milk, goat milk, buffalo milk and all their dairy products are allowed and even considered superior! Hence, the next generation can jolly well overrule our fad for this kind of pseudo-vegetarianism and begin to eat whatever they feel tasty to their tongues and harmless to their digestive systems. Food, ultimately is a personal choice and one should not try to foist one's preference on others.

This is even more interesting! I am typing it directly as I read.

The list of food that satisfy the Pitrs(Manes) during Shraddha are even more exotic than Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen!

The more exotic the meat..the longer the Pirts are satisfied.

Vegetarian food like grains and beans and roots etc only satisfy the Pitrs for 1 month.

Pathina Fish..keeps them satisfied for 2 months
Venison..3 months
Sheep...4 months
Clean birds..5 months

Goats flesh..6 months
Spotted Deer...7 months
Ena Deer..8 months
Ruru Deer..9 months

Buffalo and ??? Rhinocerous..10 months

Rabbit and Tortoise..11 months

Flesh of white old goat...12 years.

Red Goat..large scaled fish..for eternity!

This seems like some Discovery Channel list of animals to keep Pitrs satisfied.

Now the questions are:

1)Did the Pitrs really ask all these or those who were eating on behalf of the Pitrs wanted exotic dishes?

2)When on earth did people turn vegetarian?

Last edited:
.......... After all humans mainly eat harmless animals like Herbivours(Cow,Goat) and chicken and fish..these type of animals are generally docile.

Humans do not eat carnivores like Tigers and Lions...so how does aggression get into us?............
Dear Renu,

I am reminded of this comedy scene when I read your post!

vivek eats crow chicken

........... Now the questions are:

1)Did the Pitrs really ask all these or those who were eating on behalf of the Pitrs wanted exotic dishes?
Dear Renu,

1. Obviously those who were eating on behalf of Pitrs! :hungry:

BTW, can anyone cut a Rhinoceros?? :faint:

Probably Manu did not know about Jurassic animals!!

dear RR ji,

The Sanskrit word does not say Rhino..only the English translation says so.

In fact Sanskrit word used is Varaha(Wild Boar)..dont know why in English it is translated as Rhino.

may be the translation was not right or someone wanted non sanskrit knowers to overlook the fact that ancients ate wild boar (a cousin of a pig)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back