• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Non-brahmin cook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends,

This is nothing to do with the main query in this thread. But I wish to share my experience 27 years ago in Sultanate of Oman, where I was working for eight years. At the instructions of the management I had been to the port town of Sur, in the Sultanate. I traveled by Bus from Muscat taking the early morning bus. By the time I reached Sur, I was told that the commencement of the holy month of Ramadan has been officially declared by the Government on that day. Consequently all eateries have been closed in the town.By the time I reached Sur, I was terribly hungry and asked my Manager to help me to find some thing to eat. My Company's manager Kannan (from Mumbai) took me to a closed restaurant run by an aged Moplah Muslim from Malabar and explained to him about our predicament. The good Muslim told that he can risk cooking some thing for me in his closed kitchen, if it is all right for Swami,(me) to eat food cooked by him. He assured me that he would wash the utensils clean to my satisfaction and cook some vegetable and Roti in my presence. And he did it wonderfully well. I was moved by this kind gesture of the oldman from Malabar, a Kaka Muslim who himself was in Roza (religious fasting), took the risk of cooking for a hungry soul (me).
This incident etched in my mind permanently the goodness of human kindness and opened-up a new window to see beyond the blinkers of sectarian view.

Regards,
Brahmanyan

Hi
I feel Brahmins are vegetarians and predominantly non-brahmins are not, though I am not talking about exceptions here. I am also not able to relate when folks say that there are unhygienic brahmins who are cooks, because the cook I had was very hygienic. The food tastes the same as we make at home, while being assured even without doubt that she goes home and cooks vegetarian saatvic food like us. I had several other advantages like

1. She would take bath, and be very clean and fresh, looking like a mahalakshmi with flowers when she comes home.It was almost having a periamma or athai at home to help me with the cooking.
2. She would prepare thengai pooranam, kozhakattai maavu and other stuff for neivedhyam for festivals, inform me the day before functions and vrathams
3. When my mother in law could not be here for varalakshmi poojai, she even helped me with the madisaar so beautifully.
4. During naal kizhamai I would even give her vethalai paakku

Why would I not prefer a brahmin cook? Probably there are some who are not good, but I have not had that experience before. And when I think about non-brahmin/non vegetarians, only person i can associate is my maid servant, as I have not seen/had any cook, and I do not think that is the hygiene level I want for the food we eat(probably there are NV cooks who are very clean, but I am just talking about what I have known and seen)

After all the inputs given by members here, when I try out a non brahmin cook I plan to ensure that she is clean and tidy and does not cook non-veg food at other homes and she is a vegetarian herself. I am very happy about being a vegetarian myself and also feel lucky that I am in India so that I do not feel pressurized to compromise on this.

Thanks saidevo for the options. My spouse has promised to help me with whatever help he can do, so unless I find a good cook who suit our needs, I will continue with my spouse's help till then. But striking a compromise on what we believe strongly about(unless it is really really unavoidable, which is not the case here), is not an option for us.

Thanks.
Sudha,

I was all along under the impression that you are located in the US. May be I did not read your posts closely. Since you are in Bengaluru, it seems to me not very difficult to get brahmin cooks there. The most useful way will be to ask any purohitar since they are usually in the know of such cooks whose help is invariably required during special occasions by most Brahmins when they have to prepare meals for, say, some 10 or 12 people.

So, pl. approach any good vadhyar. I have found them to be generally very trustworthy.

Brahmanyan:-(quote)"run by an aged Moplah Muslim from Malabar and explained to him about our predicament. The good Muslim told that he can risk cooking some thing for me in his closed kitchen, if it is all right for Swami,(me) to eat food cooked by him. He assured me that he would wash the utensils clean to my satisfaction and cook some vegetable and Roti in my presence. And he did it wonderfully well. I was moved by this kind gesture of the oldman from Malabar, a Kaka Muslim who himself was in Roza (religious fasting), took the risk of cooking for a hungry soul (me).
This incident etched in my mind permanently the goodness of human kindness and opened-up a new window to see beyond the blinkers of sectarian view."(en-quote)

Good example, broad and conducive outlook on both sides.Almost everymember in this forum has been brought up in early part of their life in a "Very Orthodox" environment only--as the circumstances demanded everybody has compromised and adjusted to new experiences.Some do not.

When I worked in Delhi ,I had a colleague Dr.Ayodhya Pandey-a Ph.D in Sanskrit.-He would come to Central Government office in Banaras Dhaavali(Vaazhai Naar Paatu) Panchakaccham and Kurtha only.He would Not eat nor drink anything from 10.00 A.M to 5.00 p.m,except direct tap water;when we all used to eat and drink "roadside Samosa and "Masala Chai"--daily he would go to house ,take bath(afetr 6.00p.m even in severe winter),do a small "Siva Pooja" and then eat what his wife gave him to eat.His bosom friend Dr.Dev Dutt Sharma (another sanskrit scholar) used to smoke also.So many varieties are there("Loko Binnah Ruchi").Most of the people respected Dr.Pandey, some U.P peons used to touch his feet also.-a few rediculed him-including a Tamil Brahmin(who was married to a Nayar woman) ,who used to call him "Ayokya Pandey"--all sorts of things are there in the Society.

namaste Nara.

If there are people who don't mind eating in restaurants, even ones where NV is served, and then have qualms about NBs as cook in a B household is hypocritical by definition. Pointing this out is not any worse than having such feelings, at least it could encourage them to think about it. ... This is not about TB diaspora.

Many a family of our TB diaspora, when they conduct the weddings of their own sons and daughters in India, are specific about having the food prepared by Brahmin caterers--even served by brahmin attendants--making a big show of the culinary part of a wedding with elaborate menus, endowments, gifts of snacks, decorations with cut vegetables and an Ice GaNesha and so on. (Sometimes the GaNesha image is carved out of a large vegetable. How many would like it if this is done with meat in a NV wedding?)

Such people, although they won't mind a cook in their homes from outside their sect or religion, and would happily dine vegetarian food in NV restaurants, are keen to employ only Brahmin caterers when they celebrate important family occasions in India.

Would such a mind-set be hypocritical as well in your definition, or only the attitude of a resident Brahmin family where both spouses are employed, has to eat in restaurants--even in ones where NV is served--but at least wants to be traditional, religious and orthodox to some extent at home, be 'hypocritical by definition'?

I am asking because you seem to have exempted TB diaspora from such hypocrisy with your words "This is not about TB diaspora" implying that they are all progressive to suit the times.

Last edited:
I wonder what this discussion has turned out to be. I thought Sudha had asked for a opinion about employing a non-Brahmin cook. I wrote about my experiences. That was in Chennai. My wife is has never been employed. But we have always had a cook.

Talking about Brahmin caterers I remember that some people insisting on getting cooks from Tanjore/Palghat. The food in any TB marriage is always talked about. 35 years after my marriage people still recall the excellent food that was served during my marriage. TBs are like that. Part of our Music, Josiyam, Chappadu culture.:D

....Would such a mind-set be hypocritical as well in your definition, or only the attitude of a resident Brahmin family where both spouses are employed, has to eat in

Once again, Saidevo, diaspora is a non-issue. Anyone who insists on Brahmins for a cook at home or at weddings, ostentatious or not, and that too have psychological problem with NB cooked food even if it is done to one's taste and hygiene requirements, but have no problem eating in restaurants, is hypocritical -- diaspora or not. Bringing in diaspora only shows an attempt to deflect or confuse the issue.

Also, what is the relevance of your comment on ostentatious displays by TB diaspora? Are the rich TB in Tamil Nadu immune from such ghoulish displays? Or, are they less ostentatious compared to the TB diaspora? Have it anyway you want Saidevo, but none of this has any relevance to the main issue I am talking about. Bring in all sorts of extraneous issues and muddy the water, so the central issue gets conflated. Nice work!

Cheers!

Few practical tips..

Lastly, but importantly, kitchen is the best place to make love.

Cheers!

to qualify this statement further,probably 'one of the best places' apart from bed-room,living room,bath-room,beach,swimming pool..etc ..just in case the kids are not born as vegetables like carrot head,beetroot tops,cauliflower ears...:)

Respectable members,

You may dowload the song from this link. The song was too large to upload. So, I am providing the link. If you are not a member, then you may sign in and download.

Music: Title: vijayram_a_kannan - sangadamaana...EN MANAIVI

Cheers!

I was born 1942 and never seen the picture But have heard the song exactly when I have no idea and the impact should have been tremendous for me to have remembered it after 6 or 7 decades Thank you for the link It is nice Jambu:drum:

Greetings to everyone.

My gawd!!, so much ado about cooking!. Many TBs are eating NVs and Many NB's are eating Beefs outside india (perhaps inside too). B or NB, when they serve, there should not be a cockroach inside the biryani, or pulaav, (Dead or alive!). At least they should have the courtesy to dispose it off before they serve. Thats all. (I had the 'Luck' to receive it from a hygienic hotel).

Pethavanga ponnukku samaika solli kodukkalanaa ippadi thaan kashta padanum.....

Innaikku irukkura paathi ponnungalukku, samaika theriyaathu, kola poda theriyaathu, sweets panna theriyaathu,
Dress iron panna theriyaathu, Ooruga poda theriyaathu, Madisar katta theriyaathu....

Yaaroda thappu... Amma antha antha vayasula ponnukku solli koduthu iruntha.. ippo kashta pada vaendiyathu illa la...

Hm.. ippovum kettu poidala... mudinja varaikkum, nammalae samaichu saapudarathu, nallathu.. sariyaa...
Sudha... ungalukku thaan sonnaen....

thanks and regards

(Please note, am not pointing any one here.... please avoid negative comments here)

Sri Swaminatha Sharma

I have learnt little bit of cooking out of necessity. I can prepare Sambar, Rasam, Curry apart from white rice. It is not a very difficult thing and it helps me a lot.

Instead of blaming anybody, let us help ourselves.

All the best

Sri.Swaminatha Sharma,

When I grew up, I was not allowed anywhere near the kitchen. My grandmother was way too orthodox. I never made even a cup of coffee from that kitchen. I learned later on my own.....not only cooking, but also to draw 'kolams!'. If the children lack self interest, the parents can not be blamed.

The parents know less than very little about computers, cricket, western music etc; but the children know enough to get Phd in those subjects out of self interest.

Most of the present Tamizh parent population faced stiff competition in education (not so many engineering or other private colleges in those days), lacked the edge (No Hindi at school), lacked support funds (Parents TBs and TNBs alike, did not have much money at their disposal for their children's education; getting a bank loan to study was very hard; education as a fee paying student at a foreign university was all but a pipe dream). In spite of all the difficulties, the parents strived very hard to provide for the children; they are succeeding too. Kindly don't blame them for anything, please.

When there is a will, there will always be a way.

Cheers!

//....... "how to deal with psychological problems of having an NB cook......I have seen enough ஊழல் களஞ்சியம் among Brahmins, even among the most orthodox, that they are anything but clean, hygienic, satvic, etc. Painting these qualities along caste lines is downright repulsive to me.......Caste overtones of this thread started from the very beginning. It is not just in the title of the thread, but post after post is suffused with caste overtones, some even suggesting Brahmins are supposed to be hygienic and satvic. Nobody in particular "gave" it caste overtones......"
[/QUOTE/]
People who are always looking for ஊழல் களஞ்சியம் will get only that minority in their antenna. Here we are not talking about such exceptions. The general thrust of many here is that Brahmins or at least majority of them are traditionally vegetarians. They keep themselves comparatively clean and hygienic. They may fail your standards if you apply the standards of a clinic. If you are a brahmin and have been brought up in a brahmin household with the values that go with a brahmin family you would know that you should wash your hands every time you touch your teeth. You would also know that you should not leave your hair hanging freely or touch it when you are cooking in the kitchen. You would also know that you should not sip from your 'tumbler' if it is going to be used by others also. These are basic values which you do not find in a NB household. I speak from experience. And about satvic mind--I have already mentioned this in another thread. A child which grows in an atmosphere in which it catches and kills a chicken every day for its mother to cook cannot be said to be having the same values as a child which spends sleepless nights for accidentally killing a butterfly. While christianity says it is not bothered about the inputs and is bothered about only the output of a human being, Hinduism certainly believes that the input determines the output. That is why our ancestors have said the satvic food cooked by satvic cooks and eaten in a satvic environment is conducive to good living. I was mentioning only this while saying about the need for a satvic cook. I also said it may be difficult to find out if one is satvic or not. To play safe it was suggested to engage a Brahmin cook who is supposed to be satvic. "Caste Overtones" and not casteist discriminations are suggested by any one here and even that cannot be avoided when the question itself is whether to engage a NB cook or not.Brahmins and non brahmins are words used here just as we use male, female and transgenders in conversations. No body used it to mean good or bad, desirable or undesirable, holy or haram. They are used as given suchness/ condition. Those who are sold on the idea of "caste eradication" may not be able to see the logic in the postings of the people here because they are obsessed with caste. The obsession is acting like a coloured glass here. I suggest that my earlier posting in this thread be read once again.

Last edited:
Oh no! I am pretty well versed in cooking. I never used to cook when I was at home during my studies, but after getting married, I had to learn and learnt it pretty well. But when in comes to a full time job, it becomes very tough to manage the 9-6 job and occasional official meetings on phone late in the night and manage cooking of breakfast and dinner and pack lunch for office for both of us etc. So sometimes one does tend to get drained out and it becomes too much to take. Then I feel that I need to simplify things or I need to delegate work, so a cook is a good option. But yes, if you can't find the cook you want, then the better thing to do is simplify the work like suggested by Raghy!

Pethavanga ponnukku samaika solli kodukkalanaa ippadi thaan kashta padanum.....

Innaikku irukkura paathi ponnungalukku, samaika theriyaathu, kola poda theriyaathu, sweets panna theriyaathu,
Dress iron panna theriyaathu, Ooruga poda theriyaathu, Madisar katta theriyaathu....

Yaaroda thappu... Amma antha antha vayasula ponnukku solli koduthu iruntha.. ippo kashta pada vaendiyathu illa la...

Hm.. ippovum kettu poidala... mudinja varaikkum, nammalae samaichu saapudarathu, nallathu.. sariyaa...
Sudha... ungalukku thaan sonnaen....

thanks and regards

(Please note, am not pointing any one here.... please avoid negative comments here)

ss

as i understand srimathi.sudha narayanan,never wrote she does not know cooking.did i miss something here?all she wanted some suggestions,to allow her and her spouse to decide,on cooking help.as far as i can infer,the couple is modern with a typical blend of tambrahms values.since they are able to afford services of cooking help,she was just seeking thoughtful suggestions.i can say with gurantee,sudha's mom did teach as well as her mil plus srimathi.sudha has learnt many a thing on her own.i totally empathise with the couple,after a grinding day of work,when you come home,if food and dishes are done,its a huge relief,putting it mildly.plus the kids have all the goodies done already.i surely want my daughter to be independent in her career,otherwise there is no meaning in sending girls to college.similiarly the cooking help itself,is a career for some.so,all in all its great to see many venues of career paths being available,all the more reason domestic help need to have organised union,office,management techniquesimplemented,otherwise they are getting used very cheaply with no benefits for future retirement doing these kind of chores.

Hi Raju,
I think you spoke my mind. I cannot say anything more. I never ever imagined that in a "tamil brahmin community" forum, people will pounce on me and call me a hypocrite for saying brahmin and non-brahmin. Is it wrong to use these terms in the same context which you have explained, which is exactly what I meant? People who consider themselves very open should avoid blaming others who are traditional in the good sense. Such blame is neither going to make the others non-traditional nor is it going to change the way they are.

Good useful advice like the hygiene and cleanliness aspect, other options which I can try, simplifying work with the spouse's help were all very good and were indeed useful. Thanks a lot to those who understood my practical difficulty and gave me solutions to my problem.

Last edited:
//....... "how to deal with psychological problems of having an NB cook......I have seen enough ஊழல் களஞ்சியம் among Brahmins, even among the most orthodox, that they are anything but clean, hygienic, satvic, etc. Painting these qualities along caste lines is downright repulsive to me.......Caste overtones of this thread started from the very beginning. It is not just in the title of the thread, but post after post is suffused with caste overtones, some even suggesting Brahmins are supposed to be hygienic and satvic. Nobody in particular "gave" it caste overtones......"
[/QUOTE/]
People who are always looking for ஊழல் களஞ்சியம் will get only that minority in their antenna. Here we are not talking about such exceptions. The general thrust of many here is that Brahmins or at least majority of them are traditionally vegetarians. They keep themselves comparatively clean and hygienic. They may fail your standards if you apply the standards of a clinic. If you are a brahmin and have been brought up in a brahmin household with the values that go with a brahmin family you would know that you should wash your hands every time you touch your teeth. You would also know that you should not leave your hair hanging freely or touch it when you are cooking in the kitchen. You would also know that you should not sip from your 'tumbler' if it is going to be used by others also. These are basic values which you do not find in a NB household. I speak from experience. And about satvic mind--I have already mentioned this in another thread. A child which grows in an atmosphere in which it catches and kills a chicken every day for its mother to cook cannot be said to be having the same values as a child which spends sleepless nights for accidentally killing a butterfly. While christianity says it is not bothered about the inputs and is bothered about only the output of a human being, Hinduism certainly believes that the input determines the output. That is why our ancestors have said the satvic food cooked by satvic cooks and eaten in a satvic environment is conducive to good living. I was mentioning only this while saying about the need for a satvic cook. I also said it may be difficult to find out if one is satvic or not. To play safe it was suggested to engage a Brahmin cook who is supposed to be satvic. "Caste Overtones" and not casteist discriminations are suggested by any one here and even that cannot be avoided when the question itself is whether to engage a NB cook or not.Brahmins and non brahmins are words used here just as we use male, female and transgenders in conversations. No body used it to mean good or bad, desirable or undesirable, holy or haram. They are used as given suchness/ condition. Those who are sold on the idea of "caste eradication" may not be able to see the logic in the postings of the people here because they are obsessed with caste. The obsession is acting like a coloured glass here. I suggest that my earlier posting in this thread be read once again.

raju

very nicely written.dunno what motivation nara has, to write what he writes about us tambrahms.caste will not get eradicated in India or elsewhere in the world with diff nomenclature.after 256 years,usa has got its first bi-racial president.these thins take time to evolve as witnessed by us.ppl change to ideas slowly but definitely change.i met a doctor who is an american,who said karma is bullshit.indians are suffering becoz i and my brothers and sisters hold such archaic notions of karma,sampradayam..etc etc..true t my nature,i outspoke him giving standing examples in day to day life and just shut his mouth.but the ego was so strong,he started to pick on nationalities and what not.being my elder,i kept silent after that.

similiarly i see in many threads,elders are just rambling with puffed up ego's sometimes.the soothing balm,is to be silent sometimes.

now i feel,the domestic helps in India is being taken for a ride.just becoz of poverty,we rather use them cheaply.we dont treat anybody harshly,but definitely exploiting them,imho.

maybe young couples can give a better future,to wards of domestic help,by teaching or financially loaning to further their lives from abject poverty.

Automation in the domestic front is the need of the hour. Dish washers, washing machines, vacuum cleaners etc have to deployed more at homes and we should avoid domestic help maids to a great extent. Our cooking methods have to change little bit and micro wave ovens, induction heaters etc will make washing of vessels simple

When both the spouses are going for employment, we have to use more and more instant mixes for cooking during week days to reduce time and major cooking should be resorted only on weekends and holidays.

Jointly family concept with elders at home will make lot of difference. Elders will take care of grand children and at the same time do some help in the kitchen and house maintenance.

Basically attitudes have to change according to the present needs. Need for an external cook may not arise with proper adjustments

All the best

For whom it may concern,

Greetings. Sri.Nara was critical about our (TBs) menrtality in some areas. Still we are not readily accepting NBs as cooks and NBs as 'poojaries'. Although 'Poojari' part is irrelevant to the discussion that took place so far, I bring forward that to show our own mentality. By the way, Sri.Nara voiced his opinions critical of TBs; but that is not the whole story though. A large section of TNBs also fall under such category. To high light the TNBs mentality, I brought forward NB Poojaries. Sri.Nara's views don't require a huge opposition. Those views were brought forward to show the existence of such views. பூ மாலை கட்டின நார் பற்றி பேசுவதால் பூவின் மதிப்பு குறைவதில்லை; நார் கூட அங்கே உள்ளது என அறிகிறோம். அவ்வளவே! Gist of Sri.Nara's message is நாரைக் குறைத்து, பூக்களை கூட்டுவோம்! Personally I would not go for a debate towards such a message.

Cheers!

A new law is being proposed to regulate Domestic workers. Once it becomes a legislation, it will be very difficult to engage domestic workers including part time workers.

It is better to go for automation inside homes and avoid domestic servants

All the best

I was born 1942 and never seen the picture But have heard the song exactly when I have no idea and the impact should have been tremendous for me to have remembered it after 6 or 7 decades Thank you for the link It is nice Jambu:drum:

Sri.Jambunathar,

I love songs from a 1935 movie, Thooku Thooki. That movie pre-dates me by few decades. (when I was in high school, I used sing 'ஏறாத மலைதனிலே..' song by rote, attracting mixed reactions in home. My sisters enjoyed the song; my grand mother comment was 'ஏண்டா பிரம்மஹத்தி! ரெண்டு ஸ்லோகம் தெரிஞ்சுக்க துப்பில்லை, டப்பாங்குத்து பாட்டு தெரிஞ்சுக்கோ! கலி முத்தி போச்சுடாப்பா!').

Thookku Thookki audio songs online | Download Thookku Thookki Songs mp3 codes | Thookku Thookki music review | Listen to Thookku Thookki songs - MusicMazaa.com

Cheers!

Sri.Jambunathar,

I love songs from a 1935 movie, Thooku Thooki. That movie pre-dates me by few decades. (when I was in high school, I used sing 'ஏறாத மலைதனிலே..' song by rote, attracting mixed reactions in home. My sisters enjoyed the song; my grand mother comment was 'ஏண்டா பிரம்மஹத்தி! ரெண்டு ஸ்லோகம் தெரிஞ்சுக்க துப்பில்லை, டப்பாங்குத்து பாட்டு தெரிஞ்சுக்கோ! கலி முத்தி போச்சுடாப்பா!').

Thookku Thookki audio songs online | Download Thookku Thookki Songs mp3 codes | Thookku Thookki music review | Listen to Thookku Thookki songs - MusicMazaa.com

Cheers!

1953!!

similiarly i see in many threads,elders are just rambling with puffed up ego's sometimes.the soothing balm,is to be silent sometimes.

nachi, may i please disagree with you here.

wisdom, i think, should be divested from age. as i often present myself, 'there is no fool like an old fool'. age and wisdom, are not related.

when someone sees a puffed up old fool, the right thing, is not to ignore, but provide the ultimate soothing balm, by pricking the ego-baloon. initially it will object, but then wiser instincts will prevail, i hope, and ego will be overcome.

i find it archaic, that (not you nachi) many here, appeal to 'elders' or the 'knowledgeablem' of this forum. to me everyone is an equal and has something to contribute. i find the trite remarks about 'elders', more as a mock, but would like for such posters to ponder the fact, that it speaks loud about themselves than an appeal to the general public.

let us respect each and every one for what they are, whatever they contribute here. for without participation, there will be only silence. no forum.

nice to see bonhomieness for NRI's & PIO's for a change here :)

rvr,nice to know,domestic help laws are being implemented.way 2 go india :)

nachi, may i please disagree with you here.

wisdom, i think, should be divested from age. as i often present myself, 'there is no fool like an old fool'. age and wisdom, are not related.

when someone sees a puffed up old fool, the right thing, is not to ignore, but provide the ultimate soothing balm, by pricking the ego-baloon. initially it will object, but then wiser instincts will prevail, i hope, and ego will be overcome.

i find it archaic, that (not you nachi) many here, appeal to 'elders' or the 'knowledgeablem' of this forum. to me everyone is an equal and has something to contribute. i find the trite remarks about 'elders', more as a mock, but would like for such posters to ponder the fact, that it speaks loud about themselves than an appeal to the general public.

let us respect each and every one for what they are, whatever they contribute here. for without participation, there will be only silence. no forum.

raju

i second your opinion wholeheartedly.becoz i learnt the hardest way here and am still learning.becoz when presumed elders talk or write absolutely blasphemous about elders than themselves,but expect not to get pricked,is heights of peevishness,to put it mildly.

kunjuppu,hope you are NOT one of the elder's who get provoked unneccessarily-but then according to me, english language is your mother tongue as you write english better than any englisman.

Last edited by a moderator:
More practical tips......

We stock our freezer with frozen vegetables, peas, corn kernels, naan, chapathis and parothaas too. We always keep frozen panneer in stock.

If we have no cooked paruppu and or soaked tamarind... finely Chop one large onion; chop two or three green chillies. If possible, cook couple of potatoes. Heat up some oil, fry onion and chillies; add panneer (either directly or after cooking in microwave for 1 minute); add some frozen peas, add some garam masala (optional); make half cup of coconut milk and add.....add salt to taste. Sabji ready in about 10 minutes.. shoot frozen chapathis (or cook rice along with the களேபரம்... (avoid frozen parottas; it will make you fat!).

Desperate rice.....Take the required rice in the rice cooker; add 50 gms of frozen peas; add 50 gms of frozen beans; 25 gms of frozen corn kernels; few mint leaves; frozen baby carrotts; about 5 or 6 cardomum, opened; few cloves; one small stick of cinnamon; two or three green chillies, sliced open, lengthwise;salt to taste; 25 to 30 gms of unsalted butter; 5 to 10% more water than the usual to cook rice. Cook the rice as usual; towards the end, mix it well. Tastes great with plain yoghurt and pickles; or just as it is. (Biggest benefit..just one vessel to clean!).

In Mississauga, Toronto, I used to buy on regular basis, saambar, kootu, sabji etc from an Andhara couple..I just emptied the container, washed and exchanged everyday for the fresh menu. I cooked only rice and went merrily along. (It didn't last too long, because I moved to a different town). Something to think about.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back