• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kashi Yatra

naithru

dear sir,
my pranams to you. you have done extensive research on zen theory. hats off to you. when I heard the story I took it for granted, my apologies to you. I stand corrected.
My bitter experience was , once வாத்தியார் has brought his assistant for my mother's srardham, and he didnt even say ததாஸ்து. That assistant to my doubt not a brahmin picked from the road and the assistant was wearing யக்யோபவீதம் with four strands with a knot ( tying all four together) and a dollar of shri Bangaru adigalar of Melmaruvathur. I got so much vexed at that time, He might have brought him as he is going to conduct the rites.
hence the purohits take us for granted.
I never had such facilities on those days to check about Zen stories, and not knowledgeable too.
I stand corrected, all due to my அதிகபிரசங்கித்தனம். please do excuse me.

prasad1

What I know a lot of well-off people have done (especially those settled overseas) is collect a bunch of willing Brahmins and a couple of priests (and Brahmin vegetarian cooks) from their native villages in India, charter a train carriage or a fleet of buses, and visit as pilgrims all the holy places in India such as temples, rivers, hills, caves, lakes, and perform religious rites there.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer
Yes, We did as a Family.
We are average people not necessarily well-off. We hired a TB cook and one Bus.

prasad1

I am not a scholar like Mr. N Narayanswamt Iyer.
I love to see India.
I came across this article and posting excerpts from it.

These days, many people don’t have a good idea regarding what exactly constitutes Kasi Yatra. Some people think that a Kasi Yatra simply means a trip to Kasi and a dip in the River Ganga. This is not true. Some others, who have heard of the trips to places such as Kasi, Gaya, Prayaag, etc. in connection with Kasi Yatra, are aware of the rites or Samskaras, But, they think that it may be a very expensive process. This is also not true. Kasi Yatra with your partner (wife or husband) need not be very expensive: it can actually be quite affordable. Note that, in order to carry out ceremonies like Shrardham, one must be accompanied by his wife: since both husband and wife are involved in most of the ceremonies.

The main purpose of our trip has been to carry out the rituals related to Kasi Yatra: not site-seeing. These include prayers at Temples like Viswanath, Visalakshi, etc. Someone told me that there are at least a thousand temples at Kasi: so, it is called the City of Temples. There are a hundred major Temples. The Kasi Yatra also includes trips to Gaya and Prayag (Allahabad). A dip in Ganges and Triveni Sangam and prayers at Viswanath and Visalakshi Temples will help cleanse our sins and facilitate Moksha. Performing Shrardham at Gaya will give us the best opportunity to receive the blessings of our ancestors, who will be too pleased to bless us after we offer the pindams. At Kasi, we may also perform Ganga Pooja and Dampati Pooja.

Dear Sri Prasad1

Am truly flabbergasted that you say that as a family, and having hired a Tamil Braahmana cook and a bus, you and family visited as pilgrims all the holy places in India such as temples, rivers, hills, caves, lakes, and performed religious rites there, and that you love to see India.

Am struck speechless at your calling me a scholar, even though you assigned me a new initial "N" instead of "S" for "Subrahmanian", my father's shortened name of "Venkatasubrahmania Iyer".

As you will recall, our past encounters have been of the hostile variety.

In fact I have written to the TB team that you and your protege Renuka Kartikayan are both anti-Brahmins.

Be that as it may, I am delighted that you have become more civil. and are willing to let the dead past bury its dead -- if I read you correctly.

As a famous sceptic Omar Khayyam sang in his Rubaiyat:-

"Alas! alas! what boots it to repeat
How Time is slipping underneath our feet;
Unborn TO-MORROW and dead YESTERDAY:
Why fret about them if TODAY be sweet?"

Please realise that I have no animosity towards you, and am willing to share whatever little knowledge I have.

Aasheervaatham.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Reactions: KRN
Dear Sri Prasad1

Sri Natarajan says, in the extract you quoted:-

"Note that, in order to carry out ceremonies like Shrardham, one must be accompanied by his wife: since both husband and wife are involved in most of the ceremonies."

This is NOT correct.

The last time I went to Kaashi and Prayaaga, my wife was undisposed and did not accompany me. So, I placed a koorcha on a small brass thattu beside me, invoked her pesence on the koorcha, and carried on. None of my pithrus or deities objected.

Only practical problem might conceivably be that it is your wife who prepares the pindams.

As I said in another thread, the shraaddham performer should carry a large thermos or two full of boiling water and a packet of finely ground rice flour. Mix the two at the river bank or at the foot of the Bo-tree to create a thick paste from which to make pindams.

Incidentally, I did not go to Gaya, but did the full Gaya shraaddham at the bank of the Thriveni sangam in Prayaaga, which I considered equally propitious if not more.. There is a Bo-tree within the Akhbar Fort there -- the top of the one at Gaya -- at the foot of which I placed all the articles I had brought for Gaya shraaddham. For aama-shraaddham there I invited two North Indian Brahmins from the neighbouring Hanuman temple and paid them a handsome dakshanai each.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

a-TB

Dear Sri a-TB

There is no procedure in the shaasthrams or in the prayogams whereby folk can "do Shraddham for themselves so that they do not have to count on their sons to do after they pass away." Any such nonsense is like offering aahuthi to a pile of ashes, instead of to a blazing homa-kundam.

What I know a lot of well-off people have done (especially those settled overseas) is collect a bunch of willing Brahmins and a couple of priests (and Brahmin vegetarian cooks) from their native villages in India, charter a train carriage or a fleet of buses, and visit as pilgrims all the holy places in India such as temples, rivers, hills, caves, lakes, and perform religious rites there.

Their idea is to store up plenty of "punyam" in this life so that even if their shraaddham is neglected after they die, they have accummulated enough merit to get past Yama Dharma-raaja and Chitra-gupta the celestial record-keeper up yonder. And go to Vaikuntam, Shivalokam, Sathya-lokam or wherever else they want to go.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer
Sear Mr Iyer,

Thank you for your detailed response

Regards

a-TB

In this new system it appears editing of a post with typos and mistake is not possible .

I meant Dear Mr Iyer

viswam49

Dear All,

I am planning to take my parents for Kashi Yatra in June 2019. Your input on good vadhyar and accommodation etc will be highly appreciated.
Please contact Kasi Sankaramut Manager Mr.Chandrasekar at 9554666613, 941522872 and land line 05422276932 and 2276915. They will arrange everything for your needs in Kasi Yatra and Rameswaram.

Dear All,

I am planning to take my parents for Kashi Yatra in June 2019. Your input on good vadhyar and accommodation etc will be highly appreciated.
y
Dear sir, Please contact Shri Venkatarama Iyer in chennai. He is regularly conducting Kasi Yathra with a maximum of 15 families.( Husband and wife). Excellent arrangements were made by him for homely food, stay and pithru tharpanam and gaya srartham.etc. Vaitheegas are performing poojas very sincerely. Pl contact him.Mob 97907 35357. 044 222 31 691 mob.7401 39 3521. Thanks. Sukumar v l.

naithru

dear shri Iyer,
thanks for your post. I have moved as you suggested,
We look forward and all things are forgotten, Bless me
ms
ps Incidentally I have kept first part of my gotra as naithru pa kashyapa

royalrajesh1978

tha
y
Dear sir, Please contact Shri Venkatarama Iyer in chennai. He is regularly conducting Kasi Yathra with a maximum of 15 families.( Husband and wife). Excellent arrangements were made by him for homely food, stay and pithru tharpanam and gaya srartham.etc. Vaitheegas are performing poojas very sincerely. Pl contact him.Mob 97907 35357. 044 222 31 691 mob.7401 39 3521. Thanks. Sukumar v l.
thank you

I had been to Allahabad, Kasi and Gaya from 22nd -25th march 2019 and all the rituals and arrangements were done by Ariyur Sri Mahadeva Ganapatigal of Varanasi. My experience with him was most satisfying and I will only be too glad to share his phone number with all of you. His Tel nums are : 9670804000, 9984961599. His fees are also very affordable and he came across as a very friendly, sincere, extremely patient person. His residence is located just opposite Kanchi Kamakoteeswarar Temple, Hanuman Ghat, Varanasi and he will arrange everything for you including stay, rituals, boat, food, transport and shopping.
Thanks, K.R.Srinivasan

prasad1

I had been to Allahabad, Kasi and Gaya from 22nd -25th march 2019 and all the rituals and arrangements were done by Ariyur Sri Mahadeva Ganapatigal of Varanasi. My experience with him was most satisfying and I will only be too glad to share his phone number with all of you. His Tel nums are : 9670804000, 9984961599. His fees are also very affordable and he came across as a very friendly, sincere, extremely patient person. His residence is located just opposite Kanchi Kamakoteeswarar Temple, Hanuman Ghat, Varanasi and he will arrange everything for you including stay, rituals, boat, food, transport and shopping.
Thanks, K.R.Srinivasan
Thanks

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media

Latest posts