• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is God nonvegetarian"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It still depends on how you define "GOD". Bhakta defined God exists in the Bhakta defined form.
"Patram Pushpam Phalam Toyam Yo Me Bhaktya Prayacchati;
Tadaham Bhaktyupahritamasanami Prayatatmanah" – Whoever offers a leaf, a flower, a fruit or even water with devotion, that I accept, offered as it is with a loving heart".

Or like Dr. Reneka said:
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/religion/9322-god-nonvegetarian.html#post145596.

Or my post:

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/religion/9322-god-nonvegetarian-3.html#post145690

Last edited:
What will happen if God started ACTUALLY taking whatever Veg/Non Veg..offered as Neivedyam... ?

TVK

To God both Veg and Non Veg is just made up of the 5 elements and nothing more.

God only takes into account the Bhakti that comes with the offering.

God accepts only the true conscious Bakthi of the Soul. Nothing else!!!!

God at any cost would not ACTUALLY consume any Veg./Non Veg. stuffs as Neivedyam. Because, if GOD does so, God will have the moral obligation to give something in return to his Baktha, whatever he/she wants, no matter if he/she deserves. LOL!!!

A so called Baktha may end up saying - OH GOD!!!! I offered you sumptuous meal!!! You enjoyed it BUT didn't bother to fulfill my wish!! You are such a cheat and utterly lacking moral goodness. You seem to be worst than corrupted Politicians/Government officials on this Earth...LOL!!!

Well said Ravi.

Then I am not sure if we would be making all the delicious dishes that we make for Nievedyam. Because doesn't eat and we eat in his name we make all those dishes. If God really eats I am doubtful....

God accepts only the true conscious Bakthi of the Soul. Nothing else!!!!

God at any cost would not ACTUALLY consume any Veg./Non Veg. stuffs as Neivedyam. Because, if GOD does so, God will have the moral obligation to give something in return to his Baktha, whatever he/she wants, no matter if he/she deserves. LOL!!!

A so called Baktha may end up saying - OH GOD!!!! I offered you sumptuous meal!!! You enjoyed it BUT didn't bother to fulfill my wish!! You are such a cheat and utterly lacking moral goodness. You seem to be worst than corrupted Politicians/Government officials on this Earth...LOL!!!

A question raises in the mind about the sheep being offered as a Bali to the Kali
in a Temple. This I have witnessed myself personally in Kalighat in Kolkatta once.
Does the method of slaughter have any spiritual impact on the meat? Plants also
experience pain when they are destroyed. If one watches the trend, of late,
people slowly are switching over to Vegetarian through out the world. There is
a saying that if a person eats Satwa food, he gets purety and knowledge.

For e.g. here is an average table to watch:
Non-Veg Veg

Satva 8% 10% - Purety & Knowledge
Raja 17% 20% Action and Passion
Tama 75% 70% Ignorance and Inertia

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Does the method of slaughter have any spiritual impact on the meat?

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I have seen animal slaughter at a temple once and I fainted right there when I saw the animal being dragged to slaughter.

The animal was fearful and crying..tears were rolling down its eyes.

Even though I have done many post mortems I still fainted right there at the temple.
Watching a life being taken is not an easy thing.

I really do not think the animal felt any spiritual effect.
All I saw is fear.

This thread is gaining momentum! What is surprising to me is that the thread starter is not in this forum
for quite some time. But is still 99+% active... May be :ranger: only and NO :typing: !!

A question raises in the mind about the sheep being offered as a Bali to the Kali
in a Temple. This I have witnessed myself personally in Kalighat in Kolkatta once.
Does the method of slaughter have any spiritual impact on the meat? Plants also
experience pain when they are destroyed. If one watches the trend, of late,
people slowly are switching over to Vegetarian through out the world. There is
a saying that if a person eats Satwa food, he gets purety and knowledge.

For e.g. here is an average table to watch:
Non-Veg Veg

Satva 8% 10% - Purety & Knowledge
Raja 17% 20% Action and Passion
Tama 75% 70% Ignorance and Inertia

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Shri Balasubramanian,

I too have witnessed Goat slaughtering in Kaamakhya temple in Assam. It was too guesome for me. As Renuka has stated in her post #83 and as a matter of fact, goats were terrified/frightened like hell and were shivering when one after the other were dragged to the place to slaughter them.

Goddess like Kali, Chaamundi, Durga and few others are furious and aggressive deities for whom rituals are tantric based. Tantric rituals can be gruesome that includes offering slaughtered animal's blood to the deity. The meat is offered to the deity and distributed to public as Prasadam. Blood is what that is considered as true offering to the deity with the belief that the diety would be highly pleased and would shower her grace upon devotees.

Such Tantric rituals are carried out in Kerala too BUT that is done using Kumkum/Kungamam and is called Kurudhi Poojai, to please Bagavathi Devi and ward off evil impacts on the affected people.

Devas fought against Asura called Raktabeeja but could not win over him. Finally Devi Durga appeared as terrifying Goddess Kali and sucked up every blood that fell from Raktabeeja. Otherwise of which every drop of blood that falls on Earth from Raktabeeja's body will produce more demons, as per the boon, the Asura obtained from Brahma.

This need not to mean that Goddess can only be pleased by offering Blood of the Innocent Living Beings. BUT, Bakthas have their own Symbolic rituals, mostly to satisfy themselves. IMO, such symbolic spiritual practices mostly turns up picturing Goddess as a cruel feminine supreme being.

Hope, one fine day, all such gruesome practices would cease to exist in Hinduism, though out India.

Whether God/Goddess likes Veg. offerings or Non.Veg. offerings, the point that is clear is - In the name of God/Goddess, humans wants to satisfy themselves in some or other ways.

Nothing wrong, if humans wants to satisfy themselves with their spiritual practices, out of their love and devotion towards the Supreme Being IF such practices are not creating any blood shed, IMHO.

Ravi,
As usual you are very polite, and hope the world solves its problem to your liking. Does it work?
If we want to change something, young people like yourself should not be so passive.
IMO unless we work to change the society, it does not happen, It changes only when some one is persistant and is willing to take risk.
I agree that I too have been to Kalibari, and refuse to go back ever.
Here in my town in USA, in our temple we have implemented some strict rules, and some practice ware modified to accomodale wishes of our patrons.
The Durga Puja committee decided to take their puja to community hall, so they can share meat.

Hello,

Tantric based devotion usually do not include any animal killing. Love and one-ness is offered as sacrifice in a Tantric devotion. One's mind should be only filled with just love and nothing else. The aim of Tantric devotion is to realise a state of Blissful devotion. There is no room for animals, blood or any such things in the process of Tantric devotion. A typical Tantric pooja only takes place in the evening continues in the night. Weather should be mild and soothing; sorrounding should be nice and calming. Plenty fragrances would be used to make the sorroundings very nice. Even the light won't be hurting the eyes. Blood is not offered in Tantric rituals but love is offered.Ecstasy ( not the tablet) is considered as the top offering as ectasy is the stage of liberation.

There are many sources to know about Tantra in detail. I am posting a simple Wiki link Tantra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks.

Dear Ravi,

I fully agree with what you wrote that's why I dare not go to any temple now that has animal sacrifice.

I am also scared of the crowd there.

You know even kids are not afraid to see slaughter.

When I fainted watching the animal slaughter..my brother revived me by putting water on my face and then a small around 8 year old girl told me "akka can you move please..you are blocking my view, I can't see the slaughtering"

Hearing that I almost fainted again.

You know I dare not voice my opinion saying its is wrong to do so cos the crowd of people there will think we are obstructing their belief and things could get aggressive too if we are not careful.

No doubt Malaysian Hindu Sangam has put a ban on all animal slaughter but some remote temples still do it.

I was not aware that this temple had slaughtering when I attended its function.

I am surprised that nobody has yet brought up the issue of human sacrifice that was present in some cultures, including India and the Mayas and Aztecs in Central America.

Perhaps God did not mind an occasional human or two :D

I agree with Ravi and Shakuntala's point. We tend to offer to God what we like to eat ourselves. That may be justified as offering the best and the most delicious to God.

Blood is not offered in Tantric rituals but love is offered.Ecstasy ( not the tablet) is considered as the top offering as ectasy is the stage of liberation.
Thanks.

Though this may be considered somewhat inappropriate for this forum, does not this Tantric love offering resulting in ecstasy often involve some -ahem- common human behavior?

Anything that people want to do they may offer some divine justification.

I am surprised that nobody has yet brought up the issue of human sacrifice that was present in some cultures, including India and the Mayas and Aztecs in Central America.

Perhaps God did not mind an occasional human or two :D

I agree with Ravi and Shakuntala's point. We tend to offer to God what we like to eat ourselves. That may be justified as offering the best and the most delicious to God.

Dear Biswa,

People twist and turn religion to suit their taste.

There was a rumor in the remote place where I worked once where there was a Human Sacrifice to appease some jungle Guardian spirit.

A person was beheaded and offered to the shrine.

The road to the shrine was eventually closed up and sealed from what I heard.

As Renu has pointed out, even young children like to watch the slaughter of animals. In the village (Kerala)

where two of my sisters live, one main road is blocked on a specific day, so that bhakthAs (!!) can go ahead

slaughtering many goats - almost one goat per family - on the road side and offer to their Goddess!

Neither the SPCA nor the police are taking any action against this cruel act! :fear:

...... People twist and turn religion to suit their taste. ........
Yes! Because we read about KaNNappa NAyanAr, who served raw meat to Lord Shiva

and Lord Shiva himself demanding 'PiLLai kaRi' from his bhakthA!! :hungry:

Yes! Because we read about KaNNappa NAyanAr, who served raw meat to Lord Shiva

and Lord Shiva himself demanding 'PiLLai kaRi' from his bhakthA!! :hungry:

Dear RR ji,

Kannappa had a pure heart and was innocent..how many Bhaktas these days dare offer their own eyes to God?

As Renu has pointed out, even young children like to watch the slaughter of animals. In the village (Kerala)

where two of my sisters live, one main road is blocked on a specific day, so that bhakthAs (!!) can go ahead

slaughtering many goats - almost one goat per family - on the road side and offer to their Goddess!

Neither the SPCA nor the police are taking any action against this cruel act! :fear:

That I really can not understand...I have done so many post mortems yet I fainted flat when I saw an animal being slaughtered and some children can watch without feeling scared.

I think it is the mind set..watching the animal cry and struggle I felt its anxiety and fear and felt pity for it and also felt bad that I could not help it so I fainted out of extreme emotions.

On the other hands the children must be thinking that "This is culture and God will be happy"..hence they had no fear.

They were concentrating on the act of offering where else I was concentrating on the pain of the goat.

... Kannappa had a pure heart and was innocent..how many Bhaktas these days dare offer their own eyes to God
Very true Renu! But I hate to read the 'piLLai kaRi' episode even from my childhood days!

What a cruel wish form the Almighty! :Cry:

Though this may be considered somewhat inappropriate for this forum, does not this Tantric love offering resulting in ecstasy often involve some -ahem- common human behavior?

Anything that people want to do they may offer some divine justification.

Biswa Sir/Maam,

Yes, that offering of ecstasy involves utmost sense control, possibly the hardest sense control. But I do not know this is inappropriate to this forum. I am sorry.

Thanks.

Very true Renu! But I hate to read the 'piLLai kaRi' episode even from my childhood days!

What a cruel wish form the Almighty! :Cry:

But did it really happen or there is a symbolic meaning attached to it?
We might never really know.

Some stories are dramatized to show extreme devotion.
I might want to read some stories with a pinch of salt.

For example there is a Sanskrit verse that goes:

"A certain householder was sleeping with his head on his wife's lap and their child who was playing near by was about to fall into the fire.
The wife who was Pati Vrata did not even move a little to save the child cos of fear that her husband's sleep will get disturbed.
Owing to her steadfast devotion to her husband..the fire turned cool like sandal paste for the falling child"

Now RR Ji..do you really expect me to believe this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back