• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is God nonvegetarian"

Status
Not open for further replies.
dear renukaji!
God is money for many .hence they what to realise it with CD,RD and FD.they know the mutual fund bonds and not the real love bond.technology have advanced to 4D and all will not see GOD in 3D and feel HIM in 4D.for village deity we offer suruttu and sarayam (madurai veeran samy ,ayyannar ).
guruvayurappan

Yes I had seen people even offer Non Veg items to village deity but I do not know if you would believe what I am going to say.

I once saw Non Veg/Cigar/Alcohol and also some fruits being offered to a Village deity statue out here.

That night I had a dream that the statue came alive and took only the fruits and did not touch the Non Veg/Cigar or Alcohol.

So going by my dream I feel that Non Veg items/Cigar/Alcohol are offered by people to satisfy themselves.

Dear Renuka,

Yes I had seen people even offer Non Veg items to village deity but I do not know if you would believe what I am going to say.
I once saw Non Veg/Cigar/Alcohol and also some fruits being offered to a Village deity statue out here.
That night I had a dream that the statue came alive and took only the fruits and did not touch the Non Veg/Cigar or Alcohol.
So going by my dream I feel that Non Veg items/Cigar/Alcohol are offered by people to satisfy themselves.

There is no problem in believing what you say. It is a common practice in southern Tamilnadu villages to offer alcohol,cigar etc to the village deities. And the devotees do not make any secret of it and openly admit saying they offer to their God whatever they like most.

In SV sampradhayam too there is a principle that you should offer what you like most to the God while you should offer your Acharyan what he likes most.

Upanishad says "AchArya priyandhanamAhruthya prajA tanthum mAvyavachchEthsi"

Thirumangai Azhwar said to the Annappakshi "பழனமீன் தின்னத்தருவேன்..........."

Cheers.

Renu I'm not sure if you know the Hanuman temple in Brickfields. My mum and I go there alot when we're in Brickfields, we pop in. Now i think its renovated and done up very well. Next door to this Hanuman temple was (dunno if its still there) a Muneeswarar temple. So we'd pop in there too. The Muneeswarar has alchohol offered and not only that He has a big cigar also in his mouth. Sometimes some guys even light it. So its really not uncommon for some tribal deities, this whole alchohol, cigar, blood and meat offering.

Coming back to the original op of the thread.
What we offer to your god (notice the lower case) is only a gesture of our love or our faith.
If you equate brahman with God, then that God is defined by the sages of the Upanishads: that Brahman is the ultimate essence of material phenomena (including the original identity of the human self) that cannot be seen or heard but whose nature can be known through the development of self-knowledge.

If Brahman is more subtle than space, how do you feed, or what do you feed that Brahman.
The question is incorrect in multiple levels. So check you definition of God.

Coming back to the original op of the thread.
What we offer to your god (notice the lower case) is only a gesture of our love or our faith.
If you equate brahman with God, then that God is defined by the sages of the Upanishads: that Brahman is the ultimate essence of material phenomena (including the original identity of the human self) that cannot be seen or heard but whose nature can be known through the development of self-knowledge.

If Brahman is more subtle than space, how do you feed, or what do you feed that Brahman.
The question is incorrect in multiple levels. So check you definition of God.

Shri Prasad,

You are going in deep technically and lowering the charm of the thread, that is based on real spiritual practices of the devotees by way of offering!!!! :)

hi renu,
i heard that there is saamiyar is called suruttu saamiyaar.....so alcohol/cigar/meat....these are for the saami and aaasami too..

initially human being worshiped natural things and offered natural things.....even some times god has changed according to

aasami....kannnappa nayanar used to offer meat to shiva daily...a great devottee of lord shiva......even u can offer tablet/

syrup to god...the bhaava is important laahhh...

Dear sir,

I meant whether anyone would believe the dream I had where the deity only took the fruit in my dream.

In my opinion ..the practice of offering to God is nothing but what we like to USE and what we like to EAT...!! .. So the God is compel to accept ..and to accept the offerings as they are under FAITH...Poor GOD...!!

TVK

Last edited:
Dear sir,

I meant whether anyone would believe the dream I had where the deity only took the fruit in my dream.

Is that dream was so, because your brain didn't ever allow itself to believe that God can accept Non.Veg stuff offered by a devotee, right from the time you were awaken and saw different Non.Veg stuffs being offered to God?

Is that dream was so, because your brain didn't ever allow itself to believe that God can accept Non.Veg stuff offered by a devotee, right from the time you were awaken and saw different Non.Veg stuffs being offered to God?

I know many will think about the dream that way but may be the deity was trying to show me that only Veg items is what should be offered.

I know many will think about the dream that way but may be the deity was trying to show me that only Veg items is what should be offered.

That's fine!!!!! True Baktha will get true messages from God!!!

Now wondering, what will be the message by God to other True Bhakthas, through dreams, who all offered/offering Non.Veg stuff to their God??!!??

That's fine!!!!! True Baktha will get true messages from God!!!

Now wondering, what will be the message by God to other True Bhakthas, through dreams, who all offered/offering Non.Veg stuff to their God??!!??

You would have already known who this deity was and in this dream it is representing a part of yourself. When we dream of a religious icon or figure normally we are relating it to our own morality or a principal we hold within ourselves. In this case you could also be relating to having to juggle a very busy life or reflecting on the worth of all aspects of your life.

You would have already known who this deity was and in this dream it is representing a part of yourself. When we dream of a religious icon or figure normally we are relating it to our own morality or a principal we hold within ourselves. In this case you could also be relating to having to juggle a very busy life or reflecting on the worth of all aspects of your life.

Sri. Prasad, Greetings.

Just wondering... what would the deity drink & eat in my dream?

Cheers!

Sri. Prasad, Greetings.

Just wondering... what would the deity drink & eat in my dream?

Cheers!
Sir,
Knowing you I know hw would be drinking JD, I do not your food habits.
My understanding is that you can dream of things you know (consciously or sub-consciously).

Sir,
Knowing you I know hw would be drinking JD, I do not your food habits.
My understanding is that you can dream of things you know (consciously or sub-consciously).

Hahaha!... You are right! But I usually carry other drinks like fruit juices too. Even in my case, after few drinks of JD, I switch over to fruit juices. So, God or demigod may have choices. food will be vegetarian though.

Dreams are quite interesting. I have had dreams totally strange to me. One dream ( about 2 weeks back) was the most weird... I had this dream, I woke up, remembered the dream and then looked at the time... put my CPAP on.. ( I snore at times. I am not obese, but still snore. So, doing the right thing, using a CPAP although the doctor thoyght it was an overkill).. what do you know, the same dream continued! That was the first time it ever happened to me.

When I gave up smoking, I took a medication to help me get through that.. I took that medication for about 3 weeks.. I couldn't manage it afterwards.. I had so many nightmares... everything was strange.. but theme was always the same.. I will be in a fist fight. Usually my family would be in danger and I would be getting in a fist fight.. those fights were so unbelievably vivid.. So, i don't know if we always dream of things we know.....

Cheers!

Hahaha!... You are right! But I usually carry other drinks like fruit juices too. Even in my case, after few drinks of JD, I switch over to fruit juices. So, God or demigod may have choices. food will be vegetarian though.

Dreams are quite interesting. I have had dreams totally strange to me. One dream ( about 2 weeks back) was the most weird... I had this dream, I woke up, remembered the dream and then looked at the time... put my CPAP on.. ( I snore at times. I am not obese, but still snore. So, doing the right thing, using a CPAP although the doctor thoyght it was an overkill).. what do you know, the same dream continued! That was the first time it ever happened to me.

When I gave up smoking, I took a medication to help me get through that.. I took that medication for about 3 weeks.. I couldn't manage it afterwards.. I had so many nightmares... everything was strange.. but theme was always the same.. I will be in a fist fight. Usually my family would be in danger and I would be getting in a fist fight.. those fights were so unbelievably vivid.. So, i don't know if we always dream of things we know.....

Cheers!

Is it dream or Hallucination?
Hallucinations can occur in any sensory modality — visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, proprioceptive, equilibrioceptive, nociceptive, thermoceptive and chronoceptive.
I am not insinuating any thing, just an observation. Knowing that you are probably missing Ms. Renuka.:cool::cool:

Is it dream or Hallucination?
Hallucinations can occur in any sensory modality — visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, proprioceptive, equilibrioceptive, nociceptive, thermoceptive and chronoceptive.
I am not insinuating any thing, just an observation. Knowing that you are probably missing Ms. Renuka.:cool::cool:

I already miss Renuka, alright! I am hopeless! I have no shame in admitting that!:sad:

No. It was not hallucination. That drug was advertised as having a side effects of hallucinations. But when we have hallucinations, we are awake. We are not asleep. Yes, sometimes we do have hallucinations as we wake up. That one is, the dream state still continues while we are partly awake and see the figures we saw in the dream. But my case was different. But one difference though... in the previous dreams, when I was in a fight, the punch or kick never landed with a force; or I never felt any impact. But when I was taking this drug, the punch and kicks landed with good impact and I could actually feel the pain. I sweated a lot, but enjoyed those fights to certain extend though. No panic.. I was like an animal..

In this thread discussion is based on the presumption that "GOD is always hungry and need food"
But believers think that GOD provides them their daily feed.As a gratitude to HIM they put before
him everything which they are to consume and prays to GOD that with your grace we are lucky to
get our food today and we are thankful to you.Then they consume it themselves.They do not have
any feeling that GOD has not accepted their offerings.Even in temples prasadam is prepared for
offering to devotees only.So a vegetarian offer vegetaraian food and non vegetarians offer
non veg.foods. It is a practice specifically in southern districts to offer toddy,beer,wine
suruttu beedi etc as offering to Muneeswaran and Karuppannasamy.Please remember KANNAPPA NAAYANAR
Who offered raw meat to GOD is accepted as a "Nayanmar"So immatured people or perverted only
put the question,and believers shun such discussion.

Information gathered on the non-vegetarian items offered as Neivedhyam :

It is normally mentioned that non-vegetarian items are offered to the God as
Neiveidhyam. Some argue that there is a provision in the Hindu Scriptures to
this effect. How far it is true, we do not know. However, one has to study
and interpret it. Normally, we used to hear a standard proverb from one
section of people, "Konna Pavam thinna Pocchu " Generally, most of the
Hindus are strictly observe vegetarian food. But a section of people stoutly think
that it is not correct to eat non-vegetarian food and it is against their
religious fundamentals. A Gentlmen was mentioning to me recently that there is a
provision to this effect. He says that there is a mention about the sages
and some saints have consumed non-vegetarian food. The Gentleman
was trying to quote the Manu Smruti to this effect citing Chapter 5 - Verse 30
(to be verified).

Since the God has permitted to eat a section of the people, why should we
stop, that was his argument. He says God himself has created some flesh
to be eaten and some to be as Eater quoting animals as on the examples. Further
according to him Chapter 5 Verse 31 (to be verified) - If it is a sacrifice to the God, it
can be consumed. He mentions that this is a traditionally known practice. In Chapter
5 Verse 39 and 40 (to be verified) - God has himself created certain animals for the
purpose of sacrificing their lives. Hence killing them is not to be treated as murder
and it is only an offer to the God or rather a sacrifice. Proceding further in this topic,
he elucidated a point citing Mahabharata, wherein a discussion about to have taken
place between the Bhishma Ptiamahar, Yudhistrar and Dharmaraj about the type and
what kind of food one has to offer to the Pitrus (Ancestors) during the time of
Shrarddham (Thevasam) to make them satisfied. The version mentions as - Yudhistra
raising a question as to what are to be offered or earmarked to the Pitrus. Then
he raises a question about Havi and if offered will it last for all the time, i.e. until
the next annual ceremony or thevasam. Does it become, external, if offered. In reply
Pithamahar tells to Yudhishthira, the person who offers must be conversant with
the rituals of the Shrarddham giving complete regard to the Shrardham and the fruits or
results that are attached to it. The main items used in the Shrardham is sesame seeds.
rice and water along with the banana fruits. Payasam prepared in Ghee if offered during
Shraddhams would bring satisfaction to the Pitrus.

But, however, it continues to mention about fish and other non-vegetarian items.
One may notice, the Bengalis do not treat fish as non-vegetarian and they eat daily.
But one is not sure whether they eat on the day of Shrardhams also. Various items
are mentioned to be offered to the extent of stating, commencing from the second
month to the 10th month. Further, that the Hindu scriptures permit a section of its followers to
have non-vegetarian food, though many Hindus accepted and adopted the Vegetarian system
because they were mainly influenced by the religions like Jainism. Jain people do
not kill any animals including ants and the killing of animals is treated as sin by them.

One more information, which I gathered while I was in a Sai Temple. The devotee
who was sitting with me, after the prayer mentioned an information about offering
non-vegetarian items to the God as Neivedhyam. He says he is a staunch
devotee of Baba like me. He started that Baba has never forced anyone to do things
outside their practice, which they have been doing it right from their births. If some
one wants to change to a vegetarian on his own, it is not a bad idea and those who
are by birth vegetarians must never change and go in for eating non-vegetarian food.
Further Baba never allowed any body to eat things which are prohibited for them.
He concludes that from HIS valuable teachings, one can interpret that one may not
be forced to change from what he is, particularly towards food habits. Suppose if they
are changing for the good it is a welcome sign.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Last edited:
Dear Balasubramaniyan,
The food practice depends on persons how they want to live. Generaly brahmins are Not taking non veg.because they felt their behaviour ,attitude and wisdom is affected by flesh eating and prefered to be vegetarian .Further their
vegetarianism excluded some vegetables also which they thought is hindrance to their dily routine of learning teaching VEDAS.In an ancient book thus I read:The rishis and sages were nonvegetarian also.The demon "VATHAPI" used to change himself as a goat and ask his brother to cook the goat,The sages and rishis who visit their house is fed with
that.When once the food is consumed his brother shout aloud and call"V A T H A P I " Immediately Vathapi pierce the abdomin of the Rishi and comes out in full form.It is their practice of revenging on Rishis and Sages.Once Sage Agasthiyar happened to be their guest. The same drama was enacted,His brother called VAATHAAPI once twice and even thrice vathaapi did not come out instead the sage Agasthya shouted Vathapi jeernaapi,meaning I have digested him.Thus their story ended there.At that time Sage Agasthya advised all Rishis to avoid flesh eating and is strictly followed by generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back