• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is God nonvegetarian"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your statement except for the sentence:

I do not see any proof of this in Sanatan Dharma. On the other hand most of the documents accept non-vegetarian food.

I shall come back to you on this point. There is a point at issue about the non-vegetarian
food being consumed by Hindus in general. But then, the hindu literature do not advise
anywhere to have such food, because of the behavioral pattern and temperamental status
of a person, who is supposed to be god-fearing living beings.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Mr Prasadji

I too reluctantly only listened to it, though it was not to my taste. But then, I wanted
to share this with others and hence I posted it. It has no authentic information nor
a viable point to be debated upon.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I agree with your statement except for the sentence:

I do not see any proof of this in Sanatan Dharma. On the other hand most of the documents accept non-vegetarian food.

Actually it looks like medical science is now saying "A Human should not be eating meat". So is climate science. It may not be a moral issue, but it could be a sustainability issue.

However it is hard to make a blanket statement about God in this. After all he designed many creatures in his creation to eat meat and only meat. Even yogurt, alcohol, bread, idli batter and any fermented products contain billions of micro-organisms. They may not be complaining aloud when we are eating them, but they probably aren't very happy about it either.

Mr. Balasubamanian,
I reluctantly quote: (I do not think much of manu smirthi)
It is mentioned in Manu Smruti, the law book of Hindus, in chapter 5 verse 30

"The eater who eats the flesh of those to be eaten does nothing bad, even if he does it day after day, for God himself created some to be eaten and some to be eater."
Again next verse of Manu Smruti, that is, chapter 5 verse 31 says

"Eating meat is right for the sacrifice, this is traditionally known as a rule of the gods."
Further in Manu Smruti chapter 5 verse 39 and 40 says

"God himself created sacrificial animals for sacrifice, ...., therefore killing in a sacrifice is not killing.
"Manusmriti (Chapter 5 / Verse 30) says, “It is not sinful to eat meat of eatable animals, for Brahma has created both the eaters and the eatables.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_vegetarianism

Historically and currently, those Hindus who eat meat prescribe jhatka meat. This is a common method of slaughter when Bali Sacrifices are made to some Hindu deities, however, Vedic rituals such as Agnicayana involved the strangulation of sacrificial goats. Many Shaivite Hindus engage in jhatka methods as part of religious dietary laws, as influenced by some Shakta doctrines, which permit the consumption of meat. During Durga Puja and Kali Puja among some Shaivite Hindus in Punjab, Bengal and Kashmir, Jhatka meat is the required meat for those Shaivite Hindus who eat meat. Many Vaishnava sects prohibit the consumption of meat, and their relative demographic predominance over some non-vegetarian Shaivite sects leads to a common stereotype that all Hindus are vegetarian.
Many dalit communities eat meat, such as the Chamar community of Punjab, but some may abstain from beef and/or pork, dependent on the village culture.

Last edited:
I think the moral of the story here is that Hinduism is not homogeneous throughout India. What is considered abominable in the South and West may be quite acceptable in the North and East. Well even the Gods are not the same, so how can their diet be the same?

Greetings.

It was my day off. In the evening I was sitting under the patio in our backyard and doing what I do on such days. I poured my next drink, when I looked up i saw him sitting across from in the chair. He greeted "How are you Raghy?".. i greeted "how are You....?'.. He said " I am God"... I looked at the drink in my hand.. he said " no, I am really the God!".. Okay.... I just asked him to help himself with any drink on the table.. He took some Berri apple juice, started sipping.. we started talking.. during the conversation.. I remembered to ask him....

" God, are you vegetarian or non-vegetarian?" He laughed, heartily laughed.. then asked " what is vegetarian and whatis non- vegetarian?'

I said " you see, If an animal gets killed to prepare a food, that is non-vegetarian.. if it is just a plant product, then it is vegetarian... He again laughed..

He said... " ninconpoop!" ( he seemed to know that alright!).. forget about vegetarian or non-vegetarian.. tell me, what is that?.. he was pointing a piece of rock. I said "stone".. God asked " are you sure? just a piece of stone?".. I said, "yes. I am sure!".. He said " can you bring it to me, please?'... I did.. He set to work on a bit and I was dowing the drink in hand.. After sometime, He asked me " what is this?" Well, he carved a nice Ganesh statue out of that stone!.. So I said " Ganesh statue!".. He asked " but you said it was a piece of stone, before!?".. I said, " yes, but now it is Ganesh statue.. it can be installed and people would worship!"...

God said.. " now let us come back to your question. Am I vegetarian or non-vegetarian?".... " I am the life for that goat; I am in the knief that cut that goat; I am in that person who cut the head; I am in the spices used to cook that flesh; I am in the person who eat that flesh!"

" I am in that tree, I am in that fruit and vegetable; I am in the flame cooked that vegetable: I am in that person who ate that vegetable"... I am in that stone. i turned that stone into Ganesh statue!.. I am in you.. I am in that drink!

What is vegetarian, what is non-vegetarian? what is stone? What is moorthy for me?... I could n't say a word.. he was just laughing.. and vanished!

I again had a look at the drink in my hand.... got some more refill. I think it would be less confusing to listen to "Nice Songs!"

Cheers!

Last edited:
Greetings.

It was my day off. In the evening I was sitting under the patio in our backyard and doing what I do on such days. I poured my next drink, when I looked up i saw him sitting across from in the chair. He greeted "How are you Raghy?".. i greeted "how are You....?'.. He said " I am God"... I looked at the drink in my hand.. he said " no, I am really the God!".. Okay.... I just asked him to help himself with any drink on the table.. He took some Berri apple juice, started sipping.. we started talking.. during the conversation.. I remembered to ask him....

" God, are you vegetarian or non-vegetarian?" He laughed, heartily laughed.. then asked " what is vegetarian and whatis non- vegetarian?'

I said " you see, If an animal gets killed to prepare a food, that is non-vegetarian.. if it is just a plant product, then it is vegetarian... He again laughed..

He said... " ninconpoop!" ( he seemed to know that alright!).. forget about vegetarian or non-vegetarian.. tell me, what is that?.. he was pointing a piece of rock. I said "stone".. God asked " are you sure? just a piece of stone?".. I said, "yes. I am sure!".. He said " can you bring it to me, please?'... I did.. He set to work on a bit and I was dowing the drink in hand.. After sometime, He asked me " what is this?" Well, he carved a nice Ganesh statue out of that stone!.. So I said " Ganesh statue!".. He asked " but you said it was a piece of stone, before!?".. I said, " yes, but now it is Ganesh statue.. it can be installed and people would worship!"...

God said.. " now let us come back to your question. Am I vegetarian or non-vegetarian?".... " I am the life for that goat; I am in the knief that cut that goat; I am in that person who cut the head; I am in the spices used to cook that flesh; I am in the person who eat that flesh!"

" I am in that tree, I am in that fruit and vegetable; I am in the flame cooked that vegetable: I am in that person who ate that vegetable"... I am in that stone. i turned that stone into Ganesh statue!.. I am in you.. I am in that drink!

What is vegetarian, what is non-vegetarian? what is stone? What is moorthy for me?... I could n't say a word.. he was just laughing.. and vanished!

I again had a look at the drink in my hand.... got some more refill. I think it would be less confusing to listen to "Nice Songs!"

Cheers!

Omg Raghy mama!! so true what Renu has said. After some drinks all தத்துவம் appears!

"God said.. " now let us come back to your question. Am I vegetarian or non-vegetarian?".... " I am the life for that goat; I am in the knief that cut that goat; I am in that person who cut the head; I am in the spices used to cook that flesh; I am in the person who eat that flesh!"

" I am in that tree, I am in that fruit and vegetable; I am in the flame cooked that vegetable: I am in that person who ate that vegetable"... I am in that stone. i turned that stone into Ganesh statue!.. I am in you.. I am in that drink!"

Good.. Very Good... But as layman I have a Question...If God is everything why he has to be in various forms..? What is the purpose..? If everything is created by God the various forms which we see are all 'self' creation by God himself.. as per Ragy Sir..This is quite confusing.. Either God could have created everything or the God could have taken various forms including human beings..

TVK

"God said.. " now let us come back to your question. Am I vegetarian or non-vegetarian?".... " I am the life for that goat; I am in the knief that cut that goat; I am in that person who cut the head; I am in the spices used to cook that flesh; I am in the person who eat that flesh!"

" I am in that tree, I am in that fruit and vegetable; I am in the flame cooked that vegetable: I am in that person who ate that vegetable"... I am in that stone. i turned that stone into Ganesh statue!.. I am in you.. I am in that drink!"

Good.. Very Good... But as layman I have a Question...If God is everything why he has to be in various forms..? What is the purpose..? If everything is created by God the various forms which we see are all 'self' creation by God himself.. as per Ragy Sir..This is quite confusing.. Either God could have created everything or the God could have taken various forms including human beings..

TVK

Dear TVK ji,

Go try JD and you will get the answers.

It depends on the food habits of his devotee. Ultimately God has to take the prasadam or havis offered by his devotee as per the vedic procedures.

Take for instance the havis offered in the Yagnas. As per the words of Kanchi Mahaswami, "These are three types Pakayajna, haviryajna and Soma yajna. In each category there are seven subdivisions. In all the seven Pakayajnas as well as in the first five haviryajnas there is no animal sacrifice. It is only from the sixth haviryajnas onwards (it is called "nirudhapasubandha") that animals are sacrificed."
His full lecture on the subject is available in the weblink given hereunder:
Is Sacrificial Killing Justified? from the Chapter "The Vedas", in Hindu Dharma : kamakoti.org:

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

TVK

Sri. TVK, Greetings.

God appears in various forms and that is called "Leela of God". That is the grounding for illusions. For example look at the illusion in this thread.. Let's look at it more closely.. If God is cut in pieces by God using God and offered to God by God which later consumed by God, is God vegetarian or non-vegetarian? This is the question raised by God, analysed by God and presented in a forum started by God. After reading one reply, God confused and asking for clarification so that god explains what was written by God.

Sir, if you understood this very clearly, then you are leaps and bounds closer to self-realisation. This was the 'Maya' explained by Adi Sankara. The whole world is just an illussion sir. There was a time I argued, this world is real; now I am saying this whole world is an illusion. So, where do we fit in? Actually we don't fit anywhere. The more we try to fight fitting in this world, the more viciously we get sucked in; so, we should just move to get sucked in and use that force to get out. That's why I talk philosophy using "G" spot as an example.

There is no confusion in what I wrote. That is the simplest it can be explained. It is so simple, it seems confusing!.... maya Sir!

Cheers!

True. Few years ago I spent two weeks' spiritual sojourn at Rishikesh during Shivaratri time. I was alarmed to see
the liberal use of Bhang in all forms with Bhajans by the devotees yogis and Gurus in almost all ashrams there.
These were done in the name of Lord Shiva.
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
the bhang is widely used just like thampoolam during festivals in north india and especially in Bihar .

dear friends !
where we are going ?
all are making jokes about HIM. forum is deviating from discussing about vedas,geetha slogas to present day bhajans,self dreams ,use of nargatic etc.
interpretation of old stories to their advantage .what a non-believer was doing is done by our beloved believer friends.
guruvayurappan

JD...??!! I heard about JK..what is JD..??

TVK

Hey you guys do not read or what?

I myself do not drink alcohol but I know almost all names of alcohol all around the world.

In India Archers Peaches Schnapps and Golconda Ruby are quite famous.

JD is Jack Daniels BTW.

Hey you guys do not read or what?

I myself do not drink alcohol but I know almost all names of alcohol all around the world.

In India Archers Peaches Schnapps and Golconda Ruby are quite famous.

JD is Jack Daniels BTW.

Who cares about JD or KD... For me a simple solution is ...GOD is an IDENTITY .. given to UNKNOWN...!!

TVK

All narcotics or such stuff like bhang, tobacco etc are least lethal and were used by sections of people without harm to themselves or the society. Last year jaswant singh was in the news because in one family function, some 'stuff' was given to the guests. Only the highly purified, concentrated and refined stuff is harmful, is habit forming and addictive. As new knowledge is gained, we find that even refined food items are harmful. I am not for banning any of these or consumption a criminal act. Education, awareness, family and society values must become the controlling and restricting factors.

Standard police threat in a tamil tv serial is 'I will put you behind bars in a kanja case'!

the bhang is widely used just like thampoolam during festivals in north india and especially in Bihar .

Who cares about JD or KD... For me a simple solution is ...GOD is an IDENTITY .. given to UNKNOWN...!!

TVK

All of us are KD's only..that's why we are born in this world,
We came to this world with the same purpose..of knowing God..
Some choose JD to know God..some smoke BD to know God or recite mantras from a CD but the truth is no one is going to see God in 3D!

Cos God will be singing Main Khiladi Tu Anari!

Last edited:
All of us are KD's only..that's why we are born in this world,
We came to this world with the same purpose..of knowing God..
Some choose JD to know God..some smoke BD to know God or recite mantras from a CD but the truth is no one is going to see God in 3D!

Cos God will be singing Main Khiladi Tu Anari!

I don't know anyone smoked BD to know God. But I knew persons who smoked hasish 'to know God". Anyway, when I used to smoke BD I did not drink JD ( No way I could afford that! But I wanted to, one day. Yeah, when I smoked BD, I knew about JD). I see God in 3D every now and again. Well.... God in others, I mean.

By the way, I will be posting from tomorrow. You didn't say anything about that. Like I said, like to try & get it right.

Cheers!

By the way, I will be posting from tomorrow. You didn't say anything about that. Like I said, like to try & get it right.

Cheers!

No problems..go ahead.I have been busy studying...did not reply lots of stuff.
sorry for that.

dear renukaji!
God is money for many .hence they what to realise it with CD,RD and FD.they know the mutual fund bonds and not the real love bond.technology have advanced to 4D and all will not see GOD in 3D and feel HIM in 4D.for village deity we offer suruttu and sarayam (madurai veeran samy ,ayyannar ).
guruvayurappan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back