• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is God nonvegetarian"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear RR ji,

You know only if we view God through the lenses of duality then the story seems inappropriate.

We are still thinking of shyness of body.

My husband prays 1st thing in the morning right after his bath in his towel.
One day when he was praying he never realized that his towel had fallen down.

I stood there and saw him pray and I admired his devotion and focus on God.
Only after his prayer he realized that he was not clothed during the prayer.

He did not feel shy at all even after he realized that his towel had fallen off.He picked it up and wore it and came out of the prayer room and I told him "God will be really happy with that prayer..you were so focused and had no body consciousness at all"

Somebody was admiring, I do not know about God.:first:

Dear Doc

Your post # 123

Ha ha, that's how one learns to keep one's Eyes Wide Shut .

Wonder why he'd ever be 'shy' of you !

Yay Yem

Dear sir,

In my profession as a doctor I have seen enough forms of human bodies of various races both male and female..from Caucasians right up to Africans and everyone in between..so the human body is no big deal yaar!! Seen it all!!LOL

BTW I meant "being shy of God"..not shy of me!! ha ha ha

Last edited:
anything offered to the God with affection and love becomes naivedyam
Dear Bala Sir,

i posted in another thread abt visiting ,my village last week end and was witness to the "Aadi masam" spectacle. There was a huge procession of about 30 people men, women & children ( few women were wearing same colour dress--uniform?) nand leading the procession was three goats, chicken in every male person hand and one big & one small pig. These pigs were tied in the centre of the body and the big one was held by for to five persons. The samller one also had to be held by 4 persons. May be they had an premotion of their death and they were dragged all thru the dusty road and water was poured on them time and again. It is tuesday today and that was on sunday. I can still hear the cries of the pigs in my ears.
Does this killing and serving to god with affection and love will become neivedhyam? Does the creator approve of this killing? Human to satisfy his tastes shifts the blame on the almighty and enjoys the offerings. One of my friend used to say he prefers ulundhu vadai malai to Hanuman!! So much for our offerings to God..

Dear Atreyan,

No No..nothing is inappropriate if well presented.
After all Tantra has been part of culture for a long time.

I am sure we members would like to know more.

Renuka,

I am sure, Athreyan will tell you more. In tantric devotion, Girl is very important. Wihout the girl the devotion is not complete.But a girl can be on her own... she is auspicious, she is more powerful when she is bleeding.. that bleeding is auspicious for us.. happened twice for us... after the first tme Padma was laughing all the time; she didn't have to worry after that ( she cried.. cried to break me... but never had to worry).
I am sure, Athreyan would ay more. ( by the way, young lady, do you reealise, Athreyan was a Charavak?)..

Cheers!

There are many forms of Tantric practices.

Right from -

1) Exposing oneself to one's wild imaginations of worldly pleasures and getting oneself submerged in ecstasy,

to

2) Immoral ways of gaining uncanny powers as according to Tantrism, it is through satisfying desires that man can gain salvation and he must do anything that he wishes to do, particularly those that are regarded sinful.

to

3) Practicing meditation, kundalani yoga, mantra, visualization of deities etc.etc. as tantric disciplines in order to gain spiritual prosperity

to

4) Offering Bali/Sacrifices

all that are considered conducive to acquisition of uncommon powers/magical powers!!!!

--------------------------

SOURCE : What is Tantra? - A Tantrik Talks About the Basics of Tantrism

Many people still consider tantra to be full of obscenities and unfit for people of good taste. It is also often accused of being a kind of black magic. However, in reality, tantra is one of the most important Indian traditions, representing the practical aspect of the Vedic tradition.

[h=3]Tantric Scriptures[/h]The main deities worshipped are Shiva and Shakti. In tantra there is a great significance of "bali" or animal sacrifices. The most vigorous aspects of Vedic traditions evolved as an esoteric system of knowledge in the Tantras. The Atharva Veda is considered to be one of the prime tantrik scriptures.

--------------------------

Ok a simple example is ..we do not feel shy to be nude in front of a doctor for examination.
Like wise we should not be shy in front of God.

Hmm, I am sure you know this, but "proper" Tantra sadhana is supposed to be done in the nude.

Renuka,

I am sure, Athreyan will tell you more. In tantric devotion, Girl is very important. Wihout the girl the devotion is not complete.But a girl can be on her own... she is auspicious, she is more powerful when she is bleeding.. that bleeding is auspicious for us.. happened twice for us... after the first tme Padma was laughing all the time; she didn't have to worry after that ( she cried.. cried to break me... but never had to worry).
I am sure, Athreyan would ay more. ( by the way, young lady, do you reealise, Athreyan was a Charavak?)..

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

Tantra I feel to a certain extent still very much gives too much importance to senses and bodily identification.

As far as I know no Bonafide Guruji or Swamiji has advocated Tantra as a mode of attaining the Supreme State.

Charvaak..Charu(Sweet) Vaak(Talk)..the terminology is self explanatory ..all just Sweet Talk.

To me I feel God gave us senses for living and not for over indulgence.
Many Charvakians feel that we have senses to enjoy and enjoy non stop.

But tell me frankly Raghy..how much can anyone really enjoy?
Ok I am going to be point blank here..just say a person follows the Kamasutra page by page on daily basis one fine day he has to come back to page 1 isn't it?

See what I mean? How much can one enjoy..eventually we will look for something that does not tire out our mind,body and senses.

Eventually we are going to look for that Consciousness that pervades everything,Self Sufficient and not drawing energy from us but rather the source of everything.

Why get exited about the light form of the senses when we can be the power house of Consciousness itself...Prajnaanam Brahma.

Hmm, I am sure you know this, but "proper" Tantra sadhana is supposed to be done in the nude.

Ha Ha Ha..I am reminded of some funny incident.

When my younger brother was 7 years old...his teacher scolded him for something he did not commit.
One of my brothers classmates framed him for something which I can't recall.

My brother was visibly upset and did not want to go to school.

That night I saw him..light a candle,draw a circle around it with some triangles, cut a figurine of a man which his teachers name written on it and burned it and my brother did all this in the nude.

I was aged 9 then..my mum and dad asked him "what on earth are you doing?"

He said "I want to make my teacher fall sick for scolding me!"

My mum asked him "who taught you this type of ritual"

He said"I don't know...I felt this would work"

So Biswa do not ask me why my brother chose that ritual and his teacher did fall sick for 1 week after that!!LOL

Mr Manoharkumar

God never asks for animal to be butchered or killed. It is only the Tanthris
who make the apprehension in the minds of devotees to do such things,
stating that if the same is not done, the devotee may have to face bad times.
To my knowledge, I do not find any evidence or proof in records stating that
animal is to be killed as Bali and offered to the God, though it is practiced
in every village temples.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Sowbagyavathy Renuka,

Dear Raghy,

Tantra I feel to a certain extent still very much gives too much importance to senses and bodily identification.

As far as I know no Bonafide Guruji or Swamiji has advocated Tantra as a mode of attaining the Supreme State.

I don't follow Tantric devotion in total. Actually I don't follow any devotion. There are two main branches of Tantric rituals. One is Dakshinachara and the other is Vamachara.

Dakshinachara includes usual pooja, yoga, complete sense control etc in Saivaite, Vaishnavite, Souravya, Saktha and Budhhist branches.very philosophical. It's just huge like in Hinduism. Most of them are said to pre-date vedic periods.

The next type is the secret rituals, Aghories etc. True sense control and true detachment is not very common in regular Hindu rituals too. everything is based on desires.

Sense control,detachment, control of desires etc at the end of the day come down to individual choices.

But tell me frankly Raghy..how much can anyone really enjoy?
Ok I am going to be point blank here..just say a person follows the Kamasutra page by page on daily basis one fine day he has to come back to page 1 isn't it?

See what I mean? How much can one enjoy..eventually we will look for something that does not tire out our mind,body and senses.

Eventually we are going to look for that Consciousness that pervades everything,Self Sufficient and not drawing energy from us but rather the source of everything.

Why get exited about the light form of the senses when we can be the power house of Consciousness itself...Prajnaanam Brahma.

To become the powerhouse of consciousness, we have to go through many stages, don't we? It can't just happen. It requires sacrifices ( not animal sacrifices like all the clowns believe but self sacrifice).

You can't sacrifice something you don't want anyway. You have to have a strong attachment with something before you can detach yourself from that as a sacrifice. Ask yourself what is your attachment? Do you have anything to sacrifice?

You are going to ask me, why should I sacrifice anything? I can get detached with anything and everything and move towards becoming the powerhouse... good luck to you young lady! I don't know if it can be done like that. One's attachment is the 'self' and the detachment is 'burning the 'self' at the alter'. That's what I think anyway.

Now, coming back to your initial question, How much can anyone really enjoy? there is nothing to enjoy really.

I know you are going to say BS! to me. But it is true. All the pleasaures are just transient. I am not attached to any of them. True, I do them regularly as rituals. But once they become 'rituals', they can be discarded. You asked me a 'point blank' question; my answer is, I am not attached to it. Let me explain - up to end of 2004 i was doing it like a bloody rabbit.. then I went to Canada just on my own.... Stayed in a shared accomadation.. had all sorts of opportunites... never bothered. Just drew a blank. Just abrupt kaput. When I bought a house in Keswick, I advertised to have boarders to share accomadation because I was living on my own in that house.. the next day a girl came along, saw the room and took it immediately.. I asked her to move in with her boy friend.. she said she didn't have one and wanted to share the house with me.. without hesitation, showed her the way out... Even now, if I wanted it, I would only 'offer it'.. if the counter part is not interested, I won't bother.. Well, my 'offering' is my way of asking too but my counter part doen't have to say 'No' to me.. but she can say, " No thanks, not now!'.. That is detachment. i am not walking away from the desire itself.. it is there. very much there.

Attachment was the topic of conversation with my wife too. We were just going through what we were really attached to.. we are just attached to our children's well being and nothing else. I thought I was overcoming all my desires.. I was proved wrong recently. Luckily for me, before the situation got out of hand, Thanks very much, a good friend firmly and politely steered me in the right path again.

As a ritual I drink JD every week. Last night I drank much more than I should. My wife asked me why didn't i drink the following night since I had one more day off... but that would have changed the ritual. Am i going to stop drinking altogether? probably not. Not now anyway.

So, everything comes down to what we really want in life. Some of the senses could control us; we can very well control some of them. How much one can really enjoy? The real enjoyment is in giving, not in getting. Well, sometimes the counterpart may not be that strong physically, may have to yield to the process of 'getting'.. That particular point blank question became a game long back. My counter part is happy that I am still playing that game because I am not keen on anything else around me. This forum is an important attachment for me. This forum is is attachment because I am attached to so many members here; but we don't even see each other, possibly may not see any of the members ever.. still attached.

As you can see, I am not quite clear. It is confusing. If I am perfectly clear, I would just do that and ask others to do just that. No one has the answer for these things. It's like the 'G' spot. Everyone says it's there. but no one could put a pointer to indicate " G spot is here". We have to be really subtle and gentle in search of that. We have to go with the flow and keep looking. Sometimes We do hit it and should make the most of it. We shouldn't get distressed for not able to find it when we search; we need not find it every time. I am talkking about life and self awareness. One day we become that peaceful and calm, we don't care about searching anymore. We are absolutely comfortable with ourselves. If we do it before our one way visa gets stamped, before we become the work order for Medical Officer to pronounce us 'dead', we can go in complete peace.

So, answer to your question is - "But tell me frankly Raghy..how much can anyone really enjoy?".. We can really think we are enjoying until the day we become peaceful, calm and perfectly happy with ourselves. So is it Today? That is for every individual to meditate upon.

Cheers!

Renuka,

Cheers!

Raghy Sir,

I am not following Tantric devotion. But the girls are treated important in our household. I did not know Athreya muni was a carvaka. Here is more on Carvaka - C

I notice, you have given some information about Tantric rituals. I am not going to add much more than that.

Thanks.

Yes..We have to ..What else we can do..?...We should not ask for photographic posting...!!
Renu has a camera! Please don't give new ideas, TVK Sir!!
icon3.png

Don't worry RR ji..it all depends on the angle of photography. ......
No need to hesitate, then!
Be ready with your camera for nice shots!! :photo:

PS: I have a very busy day ahead. Sri Krishna's birthday yummies to be prepared! Shall catch u later, Renu. :)

What ever is offered to God, according to Hindu Scriptures, it suggests that we should
also consume that as Prasad with God's blessings. A Hindu is not supposed to eat meat
truly speaking. But there are people, who eat non-vegetarian food, may be there family
practice. Of late, in some family, the present generation do not eat meat, though their
predecessors have consumed. It does affect our personality, actions, and our thoughts.
Eating animal flesh systems, we can never transcend into a higher level of consciousness.
In order to lead a moral life, we must eat pure and satvic foods. In addition, Bhagavad Geetha
suggests that since God resides within our bodies, it is not advisable to go in for non-vegetarian
food.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

While we debate whether God is non-vegetarian on the one hand, we must also know as to
whether there is a need for one should eat non-vegetarian food. In this connection, there was
a debate recently, which I am attaching here for the information of a few, who are interested
in non-vegetarian items, without the knowledge of family members.

Debate: Is non-vegetarian food permitted or prohibited? 1/21 - YouTube

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Mr. Balasubramanian,
I very reluctantly listened to this debate.
I was appalled at the lack of knowledge in these talks.
The jain guy said that animals are either vegetarian or Meat-eaters, never both. He completely forgot the section of animal kingdom called Omnivore.
Various mammals are omnivorous by nature, such as pigs, badgers, bears, coatis, hedgehogs, opossums, skunks, sloths, squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, mice, and rats. Various birds are omnivorous, with diets varying from berries and nectar to insects, worms, fish, and small rodents. Examples include cassowarys, chickens, crows and related corvids, keas, rallidae, and rheas. In addition, some lizards, turtles, fish, such as piranhas, and invertebrates are also omnivorous.

After that, anything he says does not make any impact on me.

What ever is offered to God, according to Hindu Scriptures, it suggests that we should
also consume that as Prasad with God's blessings. A Hindu is not supposed to eat meat
truly speaking. But there are people, who eat non-vegetarian food, may be there family
practice. Of late, in some family, the present generation do not eat meat, though their
predecessors have consumed. It does affect our personality, actions, and our thoughts.
Eating animal flesh systems, we can never transcend into a higher level of consciousness.
In order to lead a moral life, we must eat pure and satvic foods. In addition, Bhagavad Geetha
suggests that since God resides within our bodies, it is not advisable to go in for non-vegetarian
food.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I agree with your statement except for the sentence:
A Hindu is not supposed to eat meat truly speaking.

I do not see any proof of this in Sanatan Dharma. On the other hand most of the documents accept non-vegetarian food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back