• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Intercaste marriages/Reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Renu,

That is why I wrote 'poorest of the poor'.

I have already written in forum about tambrams, visiting houses to condole a death, within ten days.

They go without having a bath. I am sick of this habit and never follow it! :nono:

RRji
Now I know why there is severe water shortage in chennai. Some take repeated baths every day, before breakfast ,lunch ,dinner , before going to temple, after visitng

the dead persons home etc.If they do not know what to do ,they take bath . good pastime.lol

Being a smartha, I notice that inter religious marriages between Iyer girls and other religious boys are not a new phenomenon, especially with Muslims. This has been going on some decades now. It is very mysterious.

Daughters of a popular harikatha exponent, a tamil scholar and grand daughters of popular film personality married muslim boys.

Do they not know such marriages would bring total disrepute not only to the family but the Iyer community as a whole.

What is the reason? Is it due to

* feeling suppression from the family and community and lack of independence, resulting
in taking revenge and punishing family and community
* not interested in brahmin customs and continue as a brahmin
* to be more independent
* interest in other religions (once marry the boys of other religions, Iyer girls follow their
customs scrupulously) and not ready to convert their husbands OR

* natural phonomenon

Any Psychologist or Sociologist in this Forum may explain the reason for such behaviour of Iyer girls.

It is really very disgusting.

Any Psychologist or Sociologist in this Forum may explain the reason for such behaviour of Iyer girls.

It is really very disgusting.

Dear Chandru ji,

I am no psychologist or sociologist but I do understand how the human mind works to a great extent becos of my profession.(Note: I did not mention my profession)

Ok its simple..I will put it in point form..this applies for all communities.

1)The problem you mention is seen in other communities too becos it happens in Iyers so you are relatively aware of it.

2)Lets travel back in time. In the past a woman was bound by rules a tradition mainly becos she lacked an earning capacity.

3)She was treated as a property and was at the mercy of her husband and in-laws becos even her parents would not be supportive if her marriage were to fail.

4) So she stayed and 'appeared" relatively faithful and traditional and was nothing but a baby factory and house-care taker.She stayed within her community..her exposure to the outside world was just mainly temples and weddings and gossips.

5)Now when the tables are turned..that is a female is NO MORE dependent on a male for sustenance she feels she finally feels in-charge.

6)She feels confident...she feels she has finally arrived..the Pudhumai Penn..the woman who isnt afraid to be herself.

7)She is now working..she is exposed to the outside world more..she meets various communities in her work place.

8)The world is technically borderless when it comes to Love.

9)She feels she has the right to explore her feelings and love.

10)She has fallen in love..fallen in love for the first time and this time she knows its for real.
God knows! God knows she wants to break free.

Last edited:
Post #94 to 101 except 95 for reference:

It is disgusting to note that people here are ready to condemn the discrimination against echil, pathu, theettu/vizhuppu etc and achaaram of brahmins. But they will eulogise in glorious terms the same good practices (discriminatory albeit) if followed by NBs. They will even try to find an alternative reason for the majority of NBs not following these discriminatory practices in their economic status. Truth is bitter indeed and a troubled conscience and ignorance plays havoc indeed..

Go to the villages of TN. Chickens running freely around inside the house leaving their droppings in all kinds of places, a couple of goats tied to the pillar giving out the outputs from their alimentary canal as well as the urinary bladder freely on the thinnai of the house and...... I do not want to add any more.

This is the problem of city dwellers who have never seen the rural India and it is in the rural India agraharams that these discriminatory but meaningful practices of achaaram had their origin. It goes to the credit of our ancestors that they lived a decent, clean and healthy life in the midst of the sea of squalor though they were none the richer. Learn to give the credit where it is due.

Go to any village in TN with an agraharam and have a look and then come here to write about the matter. City life is different and city dwellers are not the majority of the population nor the representative sample.

Lalu Yadav likes to sleep on a charpoy in the cattle shed though he was the CM of a state for long.

If any of you are still not convinced come with me to my village I will show you the reality. I will take you there free. I have a house there.

I live in the present and I travel frequently in rural TN. Whereas you are all city bred, city dwellers and to that extent armchair revolutionaries. Please go gather your facts alright and then come here. LOL.

RRji
Now I know why there is severe water shortage in chennai. Some take repeated baths every day, before breakfast ,lunch ,dinner , before going to temple, after visitng

the dead persons home etc.If they do not know what to do ,they take bath . good pastime.lol
Wow! What an imagination, Krish Sir!

Taking bath twice is in the daily routine. It will become thrice on the days when there is need to go for a condolence.

Temple visits are usually in the evening, after the usual bath. So, don't worry; be happy! :D

Post #94 to 101 except 95 for reference:

It is disgusting to note that people here are ready to condemn the discrimination against echil, pathu, theettu/vizhuppu etc and achaaram of brahmins. But they will eulogise in glorious terms the same good practices (discriminatory albeit) if followed by NBs. They will even try to find an alternative reason for the majority of NBs not following these discriminatory practices in their economic status. Truth is bitter indeed and a troubled conscience and ignorance plays havoc indeed..

Go to the villages of TN. Chickens running freely around inside the house leaving their droppings in all kinds of places, a couple of goats tied to the pillar giving out the outputs from their alimentary canal as well as the urinary bladder freely on the thinnai of the house and...... I do not want to add any more.

This is the problem of city dwellers who have never seen the rural India and it is in the rural India agraharams that these discriminatory but meaningful practices of achaaram had their origin. It goes to the credit of our ancestors that they lived a decent, clean and healthy life in the midst of the sea of squalor though they were none the richer. Learn to give the credit where it is due.

Go to any village in TN with an agraharam and have a look and then come here to write about the matter. City life is different and city dwellers are not the majority of the population nor the representative sample.

Lalu Yadav likes to sleep on a charpoy in the cattle shed though he was the CM of a state for long.

If any of you are still not convinced come with me to my village I will show you the reality. I will take you there free. I have a house there.

I live in the present and I travel frequently in rural TN. Whereas you are all city bred, city dwellers and to that extent armchair revolutionaries. Please go gather your facts alright and then come here. LOL.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I am totally disappointed with your reply.

I thought you would either say that "I have a friend called Thangabali who has a handle bar mustache and drinks toddy every night and puff cigars and offers village brew to this Kula Deivam and he has chickens in his basement and goats in his attic..he still uses the same unwashed Lungi which Shah Rukh Khan used in Lungi Dance song and he serves people food with recycled unwashed banana leaves...blah blah blah"

or I though you would say "The cuckoo outside my room was complaining how his relative is suffering sharing a cage with an Andangkaka in Paal Pandi's house"

What a let down yaar...I expected better from you

Dear Chandru ji,

I am no psychologist or sociologist but I do understand how the human mind works to a great extent becos of my profession.(Note: I did not mention my profession)

Ok its simple..I will put it in point form..this applies for all communities.

1)The problem you mention is seen in other communities too becos it happens in Iyers so you are relatively aware of it.

2)Lets travel back in time. In the past a woman was bound by rules a tradition mainly becos she lacked an earning capacity.

3)She was treated as a property and was at the mercy of her husband and in-laws becos even her parents would not be supportive if her marriage were to fail.

4) So she stayed and 'appeared" relatively faithful and traditional and was nothing but a baby factory and house-care taker.She stayed within her community..her exposure to the outside world was just mainly temples and weddings and gossips.

5)Now when the tables are turned..that is a female is NO MORE dependent on a male for sustenance she feels she finally feels in-charge.

6)She feels confident...she feels she has finally arrived..the Pudhumai Penn..the woman who isnt afraid to be herself.

7)She is now working..she is exposed to the outside world more..she meets various communities in her work place.

10)She has fallen in love..fallen in love for the first time and this time she knows its for real.

Renukaji,

I appreciate the awareness of reality that such marriages happen in every community and that it is not only in TB community.

Now please answer me:

The girl who was always having a grudge against male dominance so far is finding herself free now and so expresses herself by rebelling. Would she be happy with declaring herself equal to a male or would be happy only by subordinating the male now?

:bounce:

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I am totally disappointed with your reply.

I thought you would either say that "I have a friend called Thangabali who has a handle bar mustache and drinks toddy every night and puff cigars and offers village brew to this Kula Deivam and he has chickens in his basement and goats in his attic..he still uses the same unwashed Lungi which Shah Rukh Khan used in Lungi Dance song and he serves people food with recycled unwashed banana leaves...blah blah blah"

or I though you would say "The cuckoo outside my room was complaining how his relative is suffering sharing a cage with an Andangkaka in Paal Pandi's house"

What a let down yaar...I expected better from you

Keep expecting such things. And slowly the truth will dawn on you in course of time. That is the way to grow up. I expect you to grow up and write a different kind of post (without that SRK mantra any where mentioned in it) one day. I am an optimist. LOL.

Last edited:
RRJi
. Do you follow this bath custom in US in extreme climate when on visit ?In delhi bath more than once is taxing in cold winter with temp touching 4-6 degrees.also it is

mostly hot water bath.I know when it is humid or hot , there is a need .

I have a friend who washes clothes when angry . He would slam the clothes on the bathroom floor and work off the anger instead of taking it out on people, Great

escape mechanism. Some vaishnavites like me hog food for every occassion - we always decide to eat when we are happy or helpless to do anything about any issue.

we release anger also sometimes by having puliyogarai. We make excellent eaters and we enjoy our food. thats the secret of our good living .lol

........... It is disgusting to note that people here are ready to condemn the discrimination against echil, pathu, theettu/vizhuppu etc and achaaram of brahmins. .......... .
Dear Sir,

I am not against all such practices, but sometimes it seems not to make any sense!

A few examples:

1. The eating plates are branded as echil plates and some don't allow to wash them in the kitchen tap, even before eating!

2. Pickle bottles spoons are touched after shaking the left hand over the drinking water tumbler. If water drops fall in the

pickles then??? Later they drink the water too!

3. In some houses, girls / women with monthly periods are NOT allowed to take water from the taps and someone has to give

water in a bucket used only for 'those' days!

4. Unwashed sarees, dhotis and bed sheets come under the category of 'madi' are are reused several times. I have seen some

mAmis using their wedding madisAr for years together, without washing, to retain the madi; a few others used the unwashed

new bed sheet many times for the same reason!

5. Some elderly mAmis who visit to see the newborns sit down, massage their feet ( feet are not washed after entering the house)

and give sugar to the baby with the same hands.

So, madi and AchAram are good only if cleanliness is also maintained. That is the point.

Dear Krish Sir,

My U S of A visits are only during summer and hence I continue the practice.

Of course I enjoy two hot showers / day, which is not possible in Sing. Chennai.

And, my son has a solar water heater! :D

Keep expecting such things. And slowly the truth will dawn on you in course of time. That is the way to grow up. I expect you to grow up and write a different kind of post (without that SRK mantra any where mentioned in it) one day. I am an optimist. LOL.

BTW you are comparing economically backward villagers who rear goats and chickens to Brahmins and generalizing that all Non Brahmins do not live hygenically.

You have to understand that even if a Brahmin is poor..he still had some access to education and hygiene becos of being literate over generations.

A poor villager Non Brahmin never had the chance to be educated with regards to hygiene.

You comparison is like comparing oranges and apples or goats and chickens as you say.

You should compare a Brahmin and Non Brahmin of equal social standing to be more accurate.

Do NBs who are educated let chicken and goats roam their houses in Chennai town?

Let me know please..I too have lived in India and visited both educated Brahmin and educated Non Brahmin homes and I have never seen anyone have a chicken or goat roaming freely and watching a Mega serial with the rest of the family!LOL

Now please answer me:

The girl who was always having a grudge against male dominance so far is finding herself free now and so expresses herself by rebelling. Would she be happy with declaring herself equal to a male or would be happy only by subordinating the male now?

Ok..now one has to understand the background of the family.

From what I have noted..that girls from very orthodox homes tend to have a rebellious streak when they have the first taste of freedom.

Some of these girls have very psychologically scared and affected elderly females at home that also fear that their daughter might "suffer" like what they endured.

This creates an under current of fear in these girls who have seen their mothers being a door mat and nothing more.

They fear "imprisonment" with tradition and really want to break free and these are the types that make wrong decisions and feel that they want to be different and at times experiment even marrying out of the religion or community.

Now lets analyse the causative factors as to why this happens...reason is becos the average Indian male is a Parama MCP! He has never really viewed his wife as his other half.

He feels he is everything and she is only 2nd fiddle and nothing more.

Now coming to homes where a man is neither hen pecked nor a Parama MCP.....both husband and wife are partners in life and their children grow up in a balanced atmosphere.

There is no reason to rebel becos no one is psychologically scared for life in such a set up.

So girls from such homes are more mature in outlook and do not go testing marrying out of the community for the heck of it unless they really fall in True Love.

One has to understand that Lovvu without rebellion also exists.

I am talking of girls here..not guys..becos for guys I will have to follow your 'Bull" theory you wrote in another thread!LOL

Ok so you get what I mean.

If the Parama MCPs learn to embrace a woman(pun intended) and see her lovingly instead of treating her just as a commodity..this problem of people singing "I want to break free" will not exists.

Last but not least..a true balanced female will not compare herself with a male.

For example I do not compare myself with a male becos I know there are somethings I do better than a male and there are somethings a male does better than me.

Nature has designed a male and female to fit into each other snugly to function as a unit...but sometimes when I want to get work done by a male I act dumb..it works! They always fall flat for it!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Chandru ji,

Since Iyer community is so popular, cinema and mega serials are perfect examples, the impact is severe, for marriages outside the religion, more particularly the girls.

This is true. However, Iyer men are also bound by traditions, rituals etc. equally and most of the Iyers still maintain it, despite several practical difficulties.

It is nothing but taking revenge and not so serious about customs, conventions, prestige etc. The girls can very well change it by staying in the community, instead of running away from the mainstream.

Is love not an infatuation? Does love marriage of an Iyer girl outside the religion give her 1000 years of life with her spouse?

It is because of emotional binding and not logical/responsible thinking.

Ultimately, it is either ignorance or to take revenge or follow what is being depicted in the artificial mediums like cinema/serials.

To put it in a nutshell, compared to Iyer boys, Iyer girls have far less interest in the community affairs.

Renukaji
I can understand ladies wanting to break free from tradition and aspire for a relationship where both men and women are partners and children are brought up in a

balanced atmosphere . these are all aspirations and will remain so in indian context.

most partnerships are unequitable and will always remain so. it is so because people mostly unknown with different backgrounds and upbringing get into a relationship

based on a selection process which are flawed and do not make it possible. An idealistic concept of which dreams are made off and not realisable in practise.

Even when one gets into a relationship with a person after knowing for many years, we still have a feeling we have erred somewhere.

also the belief that nature has designed male and female to fit each other to function as a unit - Ha ha ha what a foolish idea . you must be too dumb to believe in this crap.

Any two of either sex can bond if compelled to act in a certain way for a very short time. otherwise each person is basically for himself. It is only a lonely journey.

Everybody gets nailed to his own cross ultimately and has to fend for himself. anything else is imagination and cheating yourself

Last edited:
BTW you are comparing economically backward villagers who rear goats and chickens to Brahmins and generalizing that all Non Brahmins do not live hygenically.

that is not correct. I am comparing economically backward NBs and Bs living in the same village. In fact some of the Bs are poorer than the NBs living there.

You have to understand that even if a Brahmin is poor..he still had some access to education and hygiene becos of being literate over generations.

A poor villager Non Brahmin never had the chance to be educated with regards to hygiene.

You comparison is like comparing oranges and apples or goats and chickens as you say.

You should compare a Brahmin and Non Brahmin of equal social standing to be more accurate.

if studying upto 5th class is proof of access both the groups had that access and so both groups were equally educated. I am comparing Kashmiri apples with Kashmiri apples from the same orchard cultivated with same fertilisers. any way you will never accept that Bs and NBs had equal social standing. So it is a wasteful exercise to convince you on this.

Do NBs who are educated let chicken and goats roam their houses in Chennai town?

Let me know please..I too have lived in India and visited both educated Brahmin and educated Non Brahmin homes and I have never seen anyone have a chicken or goat roaming freely and watching a Mega serial with the rest of the family!LOL

you are giving a twist to the whole argument. My argument is that Bs in village agraharam followed rules regarding echil pathu thee tutu vizhuppu and aachaaram while NBs living in the same villages under similar economic and social circumstances did not bother about these disciplines. I stand by what I have said. Read my posts from the beginning after dropping your emotions so that you may understand the truth.

Shri Brahmachariji,

The world is ever changing and change has been eternal. Even the customs, madi, aachaaram, etc., which are observed by many self-boasting "orthodox" families has definitely undergone changes if we compare the situation 200 years or so ago. Many of the present customs (like cowdung for cleaning "panfhi" as Smt. RR suggests) has lost its relevance today. In these circumstances what wise parents should do is to analyze our customs, madi, aachaarams, etc., rationally, and, even if they (the parents themselves) are mentally unwilling to give up some of those pointless customs, no compulsion should be put on the younger generations to follow all those outdated customs without questioning.

Such an attitude will help the youngsters to follow those customs which they feel are logically correct and good for themselves.

dear sangom sir,

i wish you are 100% correct. but how much have we brahmins changed! barring a few, are we not still traditional, exclusive! don't we expect our descendants to follow/observe everything that we practise! how many of us are liberal? are not most of us still conservative? i think we need to introspect. many of us are still living in some sort of shell. we find comfort in it. hence we perceive inter-caste marriage an anathema. especially a brahmin-girl marrying an nb is not acceptable to us at all.

The most populous countries of the world, China and Soviet Union (till recently a single massive entity) were not religious. And they were not rich either.

So where goes this logic?

I mentioned poor countries, not populous countries.

USSR and China fell for their respective "-isms" and these isms took the place of religion in other places. Now, somehow, both the countries have improved, at least marginally, but their -isms still hold power in those places, just as religion and caste-ism holds undisputed sway in India.

Kindly find out some other examples; may beZimbabwe, Zambia, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I think they have very many tribal belief systems still having firm grip over their people.

i wish you are 100% correct. but how much have we brahmins changed! barring a few, are we not still traditional, exclusive! don't we expect our descendants to follow/observe everything that we practise! how many of us are liberal? are not most of us still conservative? i think we need to introspect. many of us are still living in some sort of shell. we find comfort in it. hence we perceive inter-caste marriage an anathema. especially a brahmin-girl marrying an nb is not acceptable to us at all.

That is the sad part. With that attitude the B's are set to fail and despair.

dear sangom sir,

Shri Brahmachariji,

May be your observations are correct and not mine. But I have seen sea changes in the life of most of the Tabras whom I know. And, my feeling is that generally our tabras will change when the force of circumstances dictate such changes, although they may not themselves take the lead and be avant garde for bringing about changes. To the extent they have changed, or have been forced to change, their expectation from the younger generation is also that they carry on such tradition, customs, maDi and AcAram etc., and people do not hark back to some position of centuries ago.

Inter-caste marriage is a little more drastic than the usual set of customs. Much is being said (even in this thread) and much can be said for and against IC marriages. So, I do not want to take a stand in that matter. But, generally IC marriages are on the increase in our community (I agree) and by and large, the elders have gone along with the current and I don't have any instance of stout and permanent refusal to accept IC marriage in the household. That is why I said earlier that "our tabras will change when the force of circumstances dictate such changes".

also the belief that nature has designed male and female to fit each other to function as a unit - Ha ha ha what a foolish idea . you must be too dumb to believe in this crap.

Dear Krish ji,

I cant more explicit than this..use your imagination yaar!

Read my posts from the beginning after dropping your emotions so that you may understand the truth.

LOL!

Years of being in Forum has made me a cool cat..I seldom write emotional charged posts.

So you see your were 1st talking of Avian droppings in the village homes and now yet again its about dropping? Emotions I mean.

BTW Vaagmi ji just as I can never convince you ..like wise you can never convince me even if you write an Aseptic Purana!LOL

Hi Brahma,

For girls to deviate from the tradition and get into a IC/IR marriage there are several reasons.

some of them are: overbearing parents who recklessly imposed their will on the children, biological peculiarities, opportunities that proximity gives, immaturity, peer pressure, life's experiences, money etc.,

The "iyengar"(perhaps by that word hangs another story) girl you have mentioned had the opportunity to go astray and she grabbed it without bothering about the seriousness/consequences. As you have said, being vegetarians, neatness, cleanliness and tidiness (I frankly do not know the fine difference between these three), being tension free (?), always being happy (?), the "total absence" of madi and pathu were all 'amazing' to her. That indicates the level of maturity of that girl. And that also indicates what she considered as desirable in the in-law's house. With such a hare's brain she got what she deserved. The TB community won't lose sleep over that.

I do not know why you have brought in the "long" time the parents of the boy took for considering the proposal before saying ok. Was the boy not reciprocating the love? Was it one way traffic? Did the boy not propose? Did the boy not speak to his parents? So they thought they were doing a great favour to the girl by agreeing to take her as D-in-law. LOL. Very interesting.

It appears the girl believed and in turn you too believe that the brahmins' houses are less tidy, less clean, less neat, they live a tense life 24 hours a day 7 days a week non stop, are always unhappy, madi and pathu are horrible pagan or aboriginal practices etc., So I have nothing to say about them.

Cutting all that short you have chipped in with this gem "she was disillusioned with too much of customs and traditions that would have been imposed on her had she married an iyengar". That brings us to the question: "How much of customs and traditions is ideal". May be the girl would have learnt that from her NB in-laws and husband. You may gather that and give us here.

dear vaagmi sir,

thanks for honoring me with a response.

this particular iyengar girl is just one of many interesting cases and hence i quoted her here. what surprised me was there was no romance involved between her and her husband. it was wise thinking, planned approach and an apt decision which they made. all that matters to this girl is she is at peace now. she is not without facing issues which are common to everyone though. incidentally (or coincidentally i dont know) she is from srirangam, a town where the iyengars are still living in 19th century. i dont want to dwell much on this case.

but i think, while people of our generation are concerned about ic/ir marriages especially those involving a brahmin, the individuals involved do not consider it a matter of concern. when a boy and a girl fall in love or decide to marry, parameters like religous and caste background fade into insignificance. in most cases such parameters do not exist at all.

from the tone of your post, i guess you are also troubled at this trend of ic/ir marriages involving a brahmin. i empathize with you.

the question we need to ask ourselves is 'should we continue to be concerned at all or should we learn to take it along our stride?'.

is there anything we need to do or we can do to arrest this trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back