• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

I C and I R weddings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vadagalai are mostly well off as compared to their thengalai counter part.

Many of them would look downon thengalai more as an economic issue.

Thengalai are considered as a home grown variety believing in utilising tamil for worship while vadagalai prefer sanskrit.

By the way I am both -one parent vadagalai ,the other thengalai.

Now these days most overlook galai differences and merrily intermarry.

Getting a brahmin for marriage itself is a challenge-vaisnavites are a small community.

Most are related to each other in some way or other if one tries to find family links.

Dear Krish Sir,

The economical issue is there in every marriage, whether arranged or not. Many Ambis stay single because they are NOT

able to satisfy the conditions laid down by the girls! In fact, we had a member, who used to lament about the demands by girls.

Don't know whether he got married or not! :sad:

Dear Friends,

Our moderator has posted a thread '
NO Shaiva Vaishnava, Vadakalai vs Thenkalai Arguments Allowed!'
So, No :fencing: please! :)

Dear RR ji,

This is not a fight...since we are discussing IC/IR/Iyer/Iyengar marriages..its only natural to discuss Vadaikalai/Thenkalai marriages too.

I remember one priest here told me he is a product of an intercaste marriage.

I was what??

He said his mum is a Hebbar Iyengar and his dad a Thenkalai.

I said "Oh..so this is considered Intercaste?"

BTW is this true? That Hebbar Iyengars are supposed to be descended from Jains who embraced Vaishnavaism?

Any idea?

........... BTW is this true? That Hebbar Iyengars are supposed to be descended from Jains who embraced Vaishnavaism?

Any idea?
Dear Renu,

Discussions are always OK.
I just gave a warning to avoid ferocious fights! ;)

I guess, Vaagmi Sir will be able to answer your Q because I don't know much about Hebbar Iyengars.

But their Tamil, in fact '
Kannamil', will sound a bit funny. :)

Dear Krish Sir,

The economical issue is there in every marriage, whether arranged or not. Many Ambis stay single because they are NOT

able to satisfy the conditions laid down by the girls! In fact, we had a member, who used to lament about the demands by girls.

Don't know whether he got married or not! :sad:
hi

is about me?.....just kidding..lol.....i got marrired...

hi

before talking abt IC/IR marriages...lets talk about iyer /iyengar marriages...i think...we have to a long miles to have unity

among iyer/iyengar....are we really mingled together?....still need a patch work?...

Sri TBS,

Look at the transformation that has happened to the Tamil Brahmin community over the last 100 years!

Earlier there was fireworks when Tanjore Iyer Vadamal married a Tirunelveli Iyer Vadamal...We patched that up!

Fireworks happened when a Tanjore Iyer married a Palghat Iyer...We patched that up

Fireworks happened when a Iyer Vadamal married a Iyer Brahacharanam---We patched that up!

Now Iyer marrying an Iyengar & there are fireworks but as I see it is minimal---We will have this patched up too

Let us iron the differences rather than making it worse!!

Sri TBS,

Look at the transformation that has happened to the Tamil Brahmin community over the last 100 years!

Earlier there was fireworks when Tanjore Iyer Vadamal married a Tirunelveli Iyer Vadamal...We patched that up!

Fireworks happened when a Tanjore Iyer married a Palghat Iyer...We patched that up

Fireworks happened when a Iyer Vadamal married a Iyer Brahacharanam---We patched that up!

Now Iyer marrying an Iyengar & there are fireworks but as I see it is minimal---We will have this patched up too

hi sir,

i agreed....its some core issues here....path work has to do...even our gals are going out of hand,,,,,still we are not ready to

do the patch work....

Elaborating on Hebbar and Mandayam iyengars in karnataka.

Hebbar iyengars followed Ramanuja to Belur and surrounding areas and follow vedanta desika while Mandayam settled in predominantly in Melkote.

What is essentially the difference in galais?

Both are followers of Ramanuja.

Vadagalai believes in sanskrit traditions while Thengalai follows Works of Nammalvar and other alwars set to music by nathamuni called tamil prabandams.

Both are followers of vishnu only.

So vadagalai started getting considered as elitist .and conservatism of north and tthengalai as populist understood by the masses.

At the doctrinaire level , thengalai believe that devotion to God alone is necessary to take one to salvation and god will do the rest.

Vadagalai believe that that man through his efforts should win the grace of God and he has to cling to God.

Vadagalai consdier vedanta desika as their acharya and thenkalai -Manavala Mamuni.

Both believe that they attain state of Brahman through Moksha.

It is believed that thengalai reject the caste system and accepted some of other castes in its fold .

Vadagai believe that they shoul prostrate to God multiple times [Four] and thenkalai only once.

Sectarian conflicts including legal cases have been there to settle disputes between the sects.

Sri TBS,

Do you know something interesting.

Vadagalai iyengars prefer vadama iyers to thengalai.

I would not like to speculate why.

Fortunately youngsters are not bothered either about kalai or Iyer subsects
Nor do most parents.

Most would be happy if someone labelled brahmin marries their children.

Alternately some caste close in atleast food habits [veg etc] , non smoker, non drinker well placed living close to them for old age support.

Sri TBS,

Yes that should be the spirit.:clap2::clap2:

.. is about me?.....just kidding..lol.....i got marrired...
:nono: Romeo mAmA (just kidding! No offence, please!)

Once 'he' had a severe fight with Renu and me and I hope this clue is enough for :spy: work!!

Are you so innocent NOT to know this, Krish Sir? :becky:

Vadakalai ( I think it is 'k' and not 'g' ) is the highest level of IyengArs;
VadamAs are the highest level of Iyers!! That is what they always :horn: !!

When a staunch Vadakalai IyengAr mAmA, our family friend, got an alliance form a well placed Thenkalai IyengAr girl, as a

possible match for his son, mAmi liked the girl's photo and wanted to proceed; but was afraid that mAmA will object. And, when

the issue was discussed, that mAmA coolly said, 'endhak kalai AnAlum sarithA(n) - ech****kalaiyA illAdha varaikkum'!

There are several funny incidents that happen when SmarthAs from different states or districts get married.

I think we can have a separate thread for this! :)

hi

both combinations are high IQ....i think iyer boy with vadagalai iyerngar gal.....both are more compatiable and smartest

hybrid too...

:nono: Romeo mAmA (just kidding! No offence, please!)

Once 'he' had a severe fight with Renu and me and I hope this clue is enough for :spy: work!!

Yes.. Al- jamal had a big fight with RR ji and I.

Clue...the meaning of jamAl is handsome but the meaning of jamal is camel.LOL

Last edited:
Are you so innocent NOT to know this, Krish Sir? :becky:

Vadakalai ( I think it is 'k' and not 'g' ) is the highest level of IyengArs;
VadamAs are the highest level of Iyers!! That is what they always :horn: !!

Both have Vada in their names..Vada means North..may be both share common origins..after all
Iyengars were Iyers long long ago.

Last edited:
hi

both combinations are high IQ....i think iyer boy with vadagalai iyerngar gal.....both are more compatiable and smartest

hybrid too...

Both shouldnt have High IQ..then simple task would become difficult.

Whether vada is in the name or not, all brahmins are vada-priyAs!! :hungry:

One of my friends used to say, 'I don't care whether they are vadamA or dhOsamA!! :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back