• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to get rid of bad drishti.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it not cruel to blame others for your perceived misfortune. This leads to violence against such person, generally they are women with very little means of defense. By perpetuating such misconception and supporting without proof is a folly on humanity. Women are burnt as witches as instead of condemning such inhuman practice, the "intelligentsia" is practicing. On one hand you cry for the "poor" and then condemn them to such ignorance. Duplicity, double standards, hypocritical, etc.
Prasad, this practice is not against the one who had the jealousy, but a removal of the perceived effect of jealousy from the assumed victim. So there is no blaming or violence. If an individual perceives he/she would have acquired others jealousy on himself/herself, that individual performs this ritual on himself/herself.

Only the insiders will know the intricacies of such things. 'Evil eye' is not confined to us alone.

One relative of mine (lady), not very friendly and even offensive at times, once left a dry whole lemon (obviously after a ritual of sorts) in the puja room, surreptiously, without telling anyone. My mother was watching her unknown to her, removed the lemon and told us about it. So we were saved from knowing or experiencing the evil designs (?) of the troublesome relative.

As in drug trials even a placebo can cure the patient when he is told that he is the lucky recipient of a new costly drug.

Is it not cruel to blame others for your perceived misfortune. This leads to violence against such person, generally they are women with very little means of defense. By perpetuating such misconception and supporting without proof is a folly on humanity. Women are burnt as witches as instead of condemning such inhuman practice, the "intelligentsia" is practicing. On one hand you cry for the "poor" and then condemn them to such ignorance. Duplicity, double standards, hypocritical, etc.

Only the insiders will know the intricacies of such things. 'Evil eye' is not confined to us alone.

One relative of mine (lady), not very friendly and even offensive at times, once left a dry whole lemon (obviously after a ritual of sorts) in the puja room, surreptiously, without telling anyone. My mother was watching her unknown to her, removed the lemon and told us about it. So we were saved from knowing or experiencing the evil designs (?) of the troublesome relative.

As in drug trials even a placebo can cure the patient when he is told that he is the lucky recipient of a new costly drug.

This only we call it that God is in our side. God bless you.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Excellent point indeed.

I will add the following as well.

Even worse than 'supporting without proof' is to incorrectly cite verses in a religious texts by those in a position of influence. This happens in all religions.
If the victim also believes incorrectly in the interpretation because the verse is supposed to be word of God that is a bigger tragedy. In addition to dehumanizing a person as a bad omen or whatever superstition may be, it also tarnishes the content of the scripture cited as well.

During a high school competition decades ago we had to memorize parts of a speech from Swami Vivekananda's lectures and speak to an audience. While I did not win anything, I am reminded of that speech . Here is an excerpt.

"Strength, strength is what the Upanishads speak to me from every page. This is the one great thing to remember, it has been the one great lesson I have been taught in my life. Strength, it says, strength O man, be not weak. Are there no human weaknesses? asks man. There are, says the Upanishads, but would more weakness heal them? Would you try to wash dirt with dirt? Will sin cure sin, weakness cure weakness? .... Ay, it is the only literature in the world where you find the word 'Abhih', fearless, used again and again. In no other scripture in the world is this adjective applied either to God or man. .... And the Upanishads are the great mine of strength. Therein lies the strength enough to invigorate the whole world. The whole world can be vivified, made strong, energised through them. They will call with trumpet voice upon the weak, the miserable, and the downtrodden of all races, all creeds, all sects, to stand on their feet and be free. Freedom - physical freedom, mental freedom, and spiritual freedom are the watchwords of the Upanishads."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back