• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to get rid of bad drishti.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by zebra16
This is factually incorrect. There are many instances of rAkshasAs and pishAchAs in vedas proper and there are many mantras to ward off the evil.

Off-hand I can quote the following rk:

"apEtaveetavicha sarpathAthaH; vE athra statha purANA; vE cha nUtana"

This is a command to the evil spirits whether occupying the place for a very long time or who have taken up residency very recently, to leave the place and disperse themselves.

And you are forgetting nir-riti... the goddess of misfortune

Sri Narayan -

I do not know the particular line you are quoting so I am unable to have a response.

As you know the early parts of Vedic teaching is all about rituals while the last part is all about break-away from all rituals.
This is not contradiction unless one understands the full picture. Even a simple verse is often translated to ridiculous interpretations.

From the big picture view any translation of any word into evil is incorrect, in my understanding.

I have read at one time detailed and logical analysis of why interpretations around sacrifices & evil is incorrect but did not bother to follow up since I have little interest in rituals.

Please do let me know the exact citation and if I have time I will follow up and respond when I get time

Thanks

Sri Narayan -

Since I did not see a response from you, I looked for translation -even if not precise - of the phrase you quoted. This is just to have a common reference point.

I only found one reference here (118th Mantram) which does not seem to point to what you alluded to (in my understanding)

At this point I do not intend to follow up on this thread of discussions anymore.

For the sake of completion and for benefit of interested readers, here are the Rks Sri Zebra was referring to:

अपे॑त॒ वीत॒ वि च॑ सर्प॒ताऽतो॒ येऽत्र॒स्थ पु॑रा॒णा ये च॒ नूत॑ना: |
अदा॑दि॒दं य॒मो॑ऽव॒सा॑नं पृथि॒व्या अक्र॑न्नि॒मं पि॒त॑रो लो॒कम॑स्मै ||

अप॑हता: असु॑रा: रक्षाँ॑सि पि॒शा॒चा: येक्षय॑न्ति पृ॒थि॒वीमनु॑
अ॒न्यत्रेतो॑ ग॒च्छ॒न्तु॒ यत्रैषां̄ ग॒तं॒मन॑:

For the sake of completion and for benefit of interested readers, here are the Rks Sri Zebra was referring to:

Thank you ozone for the full quote. As Sri TKS would not be participating in this thread of discussions anymore, I let the matter rest here.

Could you kindly share where you found these - is it a website or a book of compilation ? I am not looking references to Vedic texts
Thanks

Could you kindly share where you found these - is it a website or a book of compilation ? I am not looking references to Vedic texts
Thanks

Kindly look for "veda sapthaham" in youtube. In the veda saptaham held in July 2010 (most probably from 11.7.10 to 17.7.10) Sri R. Krishnamoorthy Swamigal has explained the above mantra in detail. I think the mantra is discussed on 12.7.2010 or 13.7.2010 (not sure though .... but it was discussed in the first three days of saptaham)

Kindly look for "veda sapthaham" in youtube. In the veda saptaham held in July 2010 (most probably from 11.7.10 to 17.7.10) Sri R. Krishnamoorthy Swamigal has explained the above mantra in detail. I think the mantra is discussed on 12.7.2010 or 13.7.2010 (not sure though .... but it was discussed in the first three days of saptaham)

Thanks for sharing your reference.

The speaker has dedicated his life to recitation and teaching Vedic Mantras. I am sure he has a big following of students and admirers.

Without being disrespectful to the speaker I want to make the following comments based on hearing parts of few lectures.

There are a few who are steeped in rituals and may explain power of vibrations of Mantras etc. Often they may advance their own explanations which is likely to appeal to those who are also from a similar background. However such 'explanations' are unlikely to stand the scrutiny of reasoning and understanding by someone who is not indoctrinated in similar thinking and traditions.

I am reminded of such people's explanations when I hear these lectures.

Words like evil, heaven, hell, sin etc have very specific meanings in Biblical religions. Many Hindus incorrectly use these words to describe words from our scriptures which do not have any such meanings at all. If there is evil - Vedas would say that it is also manifestation of Brahman and hence Iswara!

There are really no contradictions but explanations given by such people can confuse one if they seriously start questioning the explanations.

All kinds of beings - human and otherwise - are capable of harmful actions due to the effects of ignorance. Ignorance is sufficient to explain - no need to posit a force of evil.
Proper interpretations (perhaps Sayana's commentaries which I dont have access to) can provide correct meaning of the verses. Even the link I provided which had translation of the verse did not have anything like evil described since that would not make sense and contradict the overall message of the Vedas.

Let me conclude by saying while I cannot support explanations of the speaker I do have respect for his sincere effort to teach recitation to students

Dear Sri Tks,
ref your post #68
Could you please provide your explanation for the 2 hymns quoted above that can stand the scrutiny of reasoning and understanding?

thanks

Dear Sri Tks,
ref your post #68
Could you please provide your explanation for the 2 hymns quoted above that can stand the scrutiny of reasoning and understanding?

thanks

As I explained in post #68, proper interpretations for first verse will require something similar to Sayana's commentaries which I dont have access to. I do not find anything unusual to invest time in these verses to find out more and I do not want to spend the time of my teachers on this either.

Though I am not answering your question about providing explanation of these specific verses, let me respond to what I see are assumptions inherent in the request.

1. Often it is not possible to get the meaning of verses by simple translation
2. Without complete understanding of the context of what the subject matter is about it is not possible to get the right interpretation of many verses. Commentaries do help since the author may have digested the overall meaning before presenting the interpretation. Even that is not sufficient
3. Most verses are not that significant for our knowledge and growth
4. There is a need for a qualified teacher without which it is not possible to get the interpretation.

I am saying all this from my limited personal experience in my attempts to learn.

Forum like this can enable one to get curious and interested in learning but cannot provide a medium of learning in my view. That is why I do not provide limited responses to even serious questions.

It is easy to find , especially in forums both electronic and in real life , people who just put forward whatever they have made up. There are all kinds of superstitions that some justify using wrong interpretations of Vedic verses which are taken out of context. For most part such people are harmless to society in my view.

However there are some that cause harm by their lack of context, proper infrastructure and a qualified teacher. They may point out worst things with literal translations supported by words of other ignorant people.

There are about 15 or so universities in USA that offers PhD in Hinduism research.

University of Chicago is one of those. They have given PhDs to people who researched and provided interpretations that Swami Ramakrishna Paramahamsa was a homosexual pedophile. Such PhD students actually visit India and find some people who are ready to put down Hindu religious icons, provide literal translations of symbolism and say the most vile things about Hindu deities. The so called research in some of the areas have been proven wrong on academic grounds thanks to donations for research by a few people. Here is a book worth knowing about. These university and their research are well funded and supported by Indians who are more than happy to dish out harmful interpretations with no knowledge. Responses are often inadequate.

My point is that literal translations that are out of context, superstitions that are inappropriately referenced with verses in sacred texts , and use of pseudo-scientific theories (Mantras and vibrations etc) have hurt Hindus, IMO. There are many young Hindus in USA that sign up for classes in Hinduism only to learn the vile things. In about 50+ years there is a possibility that Hindus may be affected in terms of how they are treated since vile ideas coupled with " Hindu hating Hindus" do have consequences.

Anyway, I do not usually engage in literal translations and attempt to provide explanations for verses that are usually taken out of context.

Finally let me make a point about why a qualified teacher is needed to learn this subject matter based on my understanding.

Some verses have the entire knowledge of the subject matter of Upanishads included in just that one verse and only someone that knows the entire Upanishads can correctly explain the context while describing the verse. However for someone to know the whole subject matter, they have to know all the key verses. This is a catch 22 situation and resolved by learning from a teacher who knows the entire subject matter and therefore can interpret the verse from the context of knowing the whole. That person learnt from another teacher who knew the whole teaching.

As you may know, Lord Dakshnamurthy is symbolically thought to be the first teacher that communicated the full knowledge. (It is the icon I chose for my ID here)

Rather than focus on the verse you asked about, let me suggest another verse that occurs in Bhagavad Gita in Chapter 2 for learning.

Right after Arjuna in the story has a panic attack about killing his teacher, grandfather, and family members Sri Krishna says the following verse whose literal meaning makes no sense, and does not even make sense even with the context of the story.

Yet to explain this correctly and precisely, one would require a teacher who has mastered all of Gita, and all of the key Upanishads. Most books provide a silly translation and then do a stretch to include another vague set of concept etc.

I am providing this example that contain the 'whole' and yet will seem meaningless (by literal translation) and out of context in the conversation between Sri Krishna and Arjuna in the B Gita.

नासतो विद्यते भावो नाभावो विद्यते सतः |उभयोरपि दृष्टोऽन्तस्त्वनयोस्तत्त्वदर्शिभिः ||२- १६||

Literal Translation:

- For the non-existent, there is no existence
- For the existent, there is no non-existence
- The certainty of these two is seen
- by those who perceive truth

Dear Sri TKS,
Your Post #70.
For my sake and for the benefit of other interested readers, I summarise the sequence of interactions.
In Post #41, you said
I do not know the particular line you are quoting so I am unable to have a response.
Please do let me know the exact citation and if I have time I will follow up and respond when I get time
In Post #55 you mentioned to Sri Zebra16
Since I did not see a response from you, I looked for translation -even if not precise - of the phrase you quoted. This is just to have a common reference point.
and
At this point I do not intend to follow up on this thread of discussions anymore.
My post #56 was not addressed to you in particular, but was written to let viewers know of the existence of the verse quoted by Sri. Zebra, which you appeared to claim as non existent.
In post #66, you then asked
for which Sri Zebra had replied
Kindly look for "veda sapthaham" in youtube.
In your reply per post #68, you stated
There are a few who are steeped in rituals and may explain power of vibrations of Mantras etc. Often they may advance their own explanations which is likely to appeal to those who are also from a similar background. However such 'explanations' are unlikely to stand the scrutiny of reasoning and understanding by someone who is not indoctrinated in similar thinking and traditions.
and
There are really no contradictions but explanations given by such people can confuse one if they seriously start questioning the explanations.
So, out of curiosity, which you have rightly pointed out in your post #70, I ask in my post #69, if you have any explanations in line with your expectations in #68.
Your post #70 sums up the response.
< Dear Sri Ozone Ji, these are personal attacks on a fellow member. While you can agree to disagree, this type of attack will not be tolerated. You have violated the Forum rule to be civil - KRS>

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Sri TKS,
Your Post #70.
For my sake and for the benefit of other interested readers, I summarise the sequence of interactions.
In Post #41, you said

In Post #55 you mentioned to Sri Zebra16

and

My post #56 was not addressed to you in particular, but was written to let viewers know of the existence of the verse quoted by Sri. Zebra, which you appeared to claim as non existent.
In post #66, you then asked

for which Sri Zebra had replied

In your reply per post #68, you stated

and

So, out of curiosity, which you have rightly pointed out in your post #70, I ask in my post #69, if you have any explanations in line with your expectations in #68.
Your post #70 sums up the response.

While I am not surpised with how you couch your ignorance and arrogance, (this reply need not have waited till post 69. In fact it need not have waited till #41), what surprises me is the illusion of wisdom that you try to portray, especially to new visitors like me and quickly get exposed.
Had my teachers told me that I cannot swim without completely knowing how to swim, would I have ever learnt swimming?
Now I understand why Sri Zebra could have chosen not to respond to your query.
I did predict your nature and character in this forum, but chose to reply only to erase the impression that you tried to create of Mr. Zebra in your post #55 and anticipating very much a reply against these line I posted that question to you.
Now, I do have the meanings of the 2 hymns for my own benefit and I do have an insight about you which I will carefully preserve.
thank you

May be he has taken it from Veda Sapthaham discourse which normally used to take
place in Mylapore. Am I correct?

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

The first verse is similar to RV 10-14-9 (SAkala) but with variation. This and its variants are about pitrus and is used for cleaning the earth (place) on which funeral pyre is to be prepared. So, it has no connection with bad drishti and related things.

The second mantra is most probably from Apastamba srouta sutra. It is about asuras, rakshases, pisacas being driven away (most probably from the seat of a person doing any japa) to the outskirts of the person's maximum imaginable extent of universe.

Bad drishti does not, imo, involve such otherworldly creatures. Bad drishti is usually held by those believe in it to be the result of jealousy and the ability of some people to bring about certain bad results.

Bad drishti is usually held by those believe in it to be the result of jealousy and the ability of some people to bring about certain bad results.

Is it not cruel to blame others for your perceived misfortune. This leads to violence against such person, generally they are women with very little means of defense. By perpetuating such misconception and supporting without proof is a folly on humanity. Women are burnt as witches as instead of condemning such inhuman practice, the "intelligentsia" is practicing. On one hand you cry for the "poor" and then condemn them to such ignorance. Duplicity, double standards, hypocritical, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back