• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to get rid of bad drishti.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is noticed that beautiful and naughty babies
quite often suffer due to drishti or evil eye effect.
Sometimes they fall prey and get victimised. Middle
aged men, women and marriageable girls do get
affected by evil-eye. Above all, I have heard
from shop keepers, businessmen and happily living
people homes getting affected by bad effects. People
quite often fall sick, business gets slowed down
forcing them to close the shops,etc. I have babes
not taking milk or food, etc. In village, some aged
people, divine Upasakars do chant some mantras and
try to get some temporary relief.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Dear Sangom sir, since I am not very informed with Vedic practices I request you to throw some light on this matter. What is the difference, in its essence, between superstitious evil-eye beliefs and Vedic beliefs in rituals such as slaughtering horses for progeny and women curling up beside slaughtered horses to beget virile sons?

Sangom sir, I don't know about others, but to me, silly beliefs like evil-eye are more understandable compared to blind belief that Vedas contain all knowledge and anything outside of the Vedic vision is ignorance.

wishing great abundance cheers

nara,

It is very good that you (and I too) are not "very informed with vedic practices", because, even with your limited knowledge you have put the most pertinent questions, imho.

I do not know on what grounds tks says that "the concept of evil does not exist in the Vedic vision". I suppose he may be the only knowledgeable person to elucidate that in this forum.

But the ritual killing of thousands of animals of various types, the ashvamedha with its abhorrent and sexual practices, even the "purushmedha" in which a particular kind of yajurvedi had to be killed, etc., were most probably found by our ancient Maharshis with their sixth or even seventh sense and "long vision" (as someone else used) because they found perhaps that doing these things will please the concerned devas and they will then bestow on to you whatever desire was supposed to be fulfilled. You see there is no evil here because you are not killing those animals but only sending them to the devas ! But our Maharshis were full of commonsense, rationality and pragmatism in not following Buddha's query that "If you are so sure that these animals reach the abode of the devas, why don't you first kill your grandparent, parent, etc? Why are you not doing that?"

Dear Sangom,

You wrote :
But our Maharshis were full of commonsense, rationality and pragmatism in not following Buddha's query that "If you are so sure that these animals reach the abode of the devas, why don't you first kill your grandparent, parent, etc? Why are you not doing that?"

Dont you feel may be Animal Sacrifice was wrongly interpreted and thats why Lord Vishnu in His 9th Incarnation as Lord Buddha came to set things straight?

Though there are Puranic stories about Rakshasas etc the concept of evil does not exist in the Vedic vision. Therefore true religious traditions based on Vedas do not have such a concept of evil though many Hindus have borrowed this idea from the Biblical religions and have created practices. Besides such a concept of evil is not rational anyway which is a stronger reason to reject them. In vedic vision there is only knowledge and ignorance.

This is factually incorrect. There are many instances of rAkshasAs and pishAchAs in vedas proper and there are many mantras to ward off the evil.

Off-hand I can quote the following rk:

"apEtaveetavicha sarpathAthaH; vE athra statha purANA; vE cha nUtana"

This is a command to the evil spirits whether occupying the place for a very long time or who have taken up residency very recently, to leave the place and disperse themselves.

And you are forgetting nir-riti... the goddess of misfortune

Last edited:
Dear shilparao,

Kala bairavar will remove all dhristis then and there. When you visit kasi your pilgrimage will not end until you see kalabairavar. In that temple a black rope is sold which is a sacred thread called kasi kayaru. If you wear it in your hands no dhristi will attack you. If it is not possible to have one kasi kayaru you can purchase kalabairavar picture keepit in your pooja room and pray him daily in the morning either as first face or doing pooja and also after returning from office etc. after washing your hands legs etc. darshan him.

This is my experience and you can get it confirmed from those who have visted kasi (varanasi)

regards,

S.Ramanathan

Someone said "I really do not care if some one else believes, as to what I believe. I do not need another human being for my belief system. Similarly I do not expect you need my support for your belief system."

Curiously, I find the same person criticizing vigorously what some others believe to be "drishti" and all. Very strange, some here are "more equal" probably!;)

....Dont you feel may be Animal Sacrifice was wrongly interpreted and thats why Lord Vishnu in His 9th Incarnation as Lord Buddha came to set things straight?
Dear Sangom sir, I know I am seen as an ignoramus, which is fine by me, but from what I understand, the incarnation of Vishnu as Buddha is supposed to be a diabolical one, meant to mislead the asuras with false teachings. The orthodox Brahmnism has rejected even the attempt to sacrifice animal figurines made out of dough in favor actual flesh and blood animals. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I have heard from SV acharyas who consider themselves parama-vaideekas, true savants of Vedic wisdom.

Cheers!

Dear Sangom sir, I know I am seen as an ignoramus, which is fine by me, but from what I understand, the incarnation of Vishnu as Buddha is supposed to be a diabolical one, meant to mislead the asuras with false teachings.

In addition to the claims and counter-claims of interpolation and deletion (in puraNas), there is a strong belief that there was more than one Buddha (enlightened one) and it is not at all clear whether Buddha in puraNas refer to the the Siddhartha of Buddhism or someone/someone(s) else. The final word whether the Buddha in puraNas is the same as the founder of buddhism is yet to be written.

Dear Sangom,

You wrote :

Dont you feel may be Animal Sacrifice was wrongly interpreted and thats why Lord Vishnu in His 9th Incarnation as Lord Buddha came to set things straight?

Smt. Renuka,

I think buddha as an avatar of vishnu is found only in jayadeva's gitagovindam. If it has been accepted in any puranas or any other scripture, I am not aware of that and you may kindly enlighten me.

This gitagovindam, though popularly accepted now, is not an accepted scripture and had even been proscribed in its place of origin due to opposition by orthodoxy on the ground that it was not conducive to morality. Of course certain explicit sexual connotations between Radha and Krishna do figure in gita govinda, but, as you may know, radha is not recognised even by Bhagavatam.

Hence, from the orthodox pov, I think it will be difficult to accept the proposition that vishnu came as buddha to set right just this one mistake whereas almost all the rest of buddha's views, preaching, philosophy is considered heretical by many orthodox acaryas and commentators/scholiasts right down the ages. As for non-believers like me, if Buddha was right in this one thing, could he not have been right in rejecting the entire vedic corpus (and so all that is said to be based upon the vedic base, including vedanta) and so, should all these also not be rejected?

In addition to the claims and counter-claims of interpolation and deletion (in puraNas), there is a strong belief that there was more than one Buddha (enlightened one) and it is not at all clear whether Buddha in puraNas refer to the the Siddhartha of Buddhism or someone/someone(s) else. The final word whether the Buddha in puraNas is the same as the founder of buddhism is yet to be written.

Kindly see this "horse's mouth" version here. I feel the references to buddha in the puranas are all to Siddharta but he is seen as a pAShaNDa uniformly.

Someone said "I really do not care if some one else believes, as to what I believe. I do not need another human being for my belief system. Similarly I do not expect you need my support for your belief system."

Curiously, I find the same person criticizing vigorously what some others believe to be "drishti" and all. Very strange, some here are "more equal" probably!;)

Sir Sangom,
Did I hit a nerve.
I did not ask anyone else to accept my belief. I did not ask any one else to give me a solution to their spiritual problem.
This question was posed in a public forum.
My belief in God does not harm me or others. Some of the superscription ​practiced causes massive tragedies, immense sufferings, and loss of valuable time. It is ignorance on which others take advantage.
I would assume that you will accept that superstition of 'human sacrifice' is not to be equated with 'belief in God'.
from my other post:
"Superstition refers to the blind faith in an idea without giving any consideration to reason, logic and evidence. Many superstitions have originated in human society on account of ignorance and fear of the unknown and incomprehensible. They thrive mainly on the greed of human beings."

"Auspicious days for solemnizing marriages are only 55 to 60 days in a year. The rest of the days i.e. 310 days in a year are marked as inauspicious days, not suitable for solemnizing marriages."
What a waste of valuable resource.

Last edited:
Much waters have flowed down on this post. Everyone has expressed their views.
Yes, some of them are really practiced by people who have absolute faith in those acts to
drive away the evil eye effects. They get the benefit out of that. Lord Vinayaka is a
powerful God to drive out evil eyes. Shuba Drishti Ganapathy, his goodness is best known
as a Destroyer of all evil forces - Kandrishti (evil eye).In his Lord Shiva Swaroopam,
Shri Subha Drishti Ganapathy destroys all sins, drives out all our sufferings, removes all the
evil thoughts, if any, and HE saves us from the clutches of those who do evil things for us
and Blesses us with all happiness and prosperity.

Sir Sangom,
Did I hit a nerve.
I did not ask anyone else to accept my belief.

In this case also the original poster shilparav did not ask anyone to accept the belief.

I did not ask any one else to give me a solution to their spiritual problem.
This question was posed in a public forum.
Just as you did not ask anyone to accept your belief the OP here was just telling her belief and wanted people to give a solution if possible. Your golden words "I really do not care if some one else believes, as to what I believe. I do not need another human being for my belief system. Similarly I do not expect you need my support for your belief system." were in retort to my post here. My post disagreed with some of your views; it did not denigrate your beliefs as superscriptions ;) or as superstitions.

So, does it mean criticism is okay if someone wants to know how a particular matter is performed, belief or superstition, whatever?

My belief in God does not harm me or others.
Only God or the Supreme Power according to your 'belief' can tell the truth.

Some of the superscription ​practiced causes massive tragedies, immense sufferings, and loss of valuable time. It is ignorance on which others take advantage.
I would assume that you will accept that superstition of 'human sacrifice' is not to be equated with 'belief in God'.
Belief in god also was the cause for untold atrocities around the world, wars and the consequent tragedies, sufferings, etc. And, how is it proved that belief in god is not based on ignorance which takes advantage of gullible, self-centred people?

human sacrifice or "puruṣamedha" was known to our vedas, fyi. It was one of the meritorious thing to perform, perhaps!

from my other post:
"Superstition refers to the blind faith in an idea without giving any consideration to reason, logic and evidence. Many superstitions have originated in human society on account of ignorance and fear of the unknown and incomprehensible. They thrive mainly on the greed of human beings."

Pray tell us how the belief in god is based on reason, logic and evidence?

"Auspicious days for solemnizing marriages are only 55 to 60 days in a year. The rest of the days i.e. 310 days in a year are marked as inauspicious days, not suitable for solemnizing marriages."
What a waste of valuable resource.
The reference seems to be to auspicious "muhūrtas". These are given in the almanac as some sort of ready data. Many marriages cannot be conducted during these muhūrtas, because they will not suit the bride's/groom's horoscope and so are conducted at other muhūrtas/other dates. Hence it is not such an immense waste of resources.

Last edited:
As mentioned in post #3, Maha Ganapathy in the form of Shuba Drishti Ganapathy
can drive out any evil forces without its trace.

In the Pranav Mantra - "OM - AUM", the middle letter U denotes Lord Mahavishnu,
A represents Lord Brahma and M is for Lord Shiva. The mono syllable which we
chant regularly "OM" is the combination of the above three Letters or the Trinity,
i.e. the union of One God, which has the enormous powers. Further, the middle
letter 'U' also highlights for Lord Vigneshwara, who removes all the bottlenecks.
HE is also a part of Lord Mahavishnu. If we continue to worship Subha Drishti
Ganapathy, by keeping his photo in our house, daily with dedication we are blessed
with the blessings of Lord Mahavishnu also, the known Great Destroyer of all evils
of this Yuga.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Much waters have flowed down on this post. Everyone has expressed their views.
Yes, some of them are really practiced by people who have absolute faith in those acts to
drive away the evil eye effects. They get the benefit out of that. Lord Vinayaka is a
powerful God to drive out evil eyes. Shuba Drishti Ganapathy, his goodness is best known
as a Destroyer of all evil forces - Kandrishti (evil eye).In his Lord Shiva Swaroopam,
Shri Subha Drishti Ganapathy destroys all sins, drives out all our sufferings, removes all the
evil thoughts, if any, and HE saves us from the clutches of those who do evil things for us
and Blesses us with all happiness and prosperity.

Shri bala,
If we analyze this "drishti" without any pre-conceived notions, it will be seen that drishti is blamed in one of two circumstances, mainly:
  1. something good or creditable happens to one of 'us' and we 'feel' that others, out of envy, will cast their "evil eye" on 'our person',
  2. something goes wrong with us and then we feel that possibly others have been jealous of our convenience and must have cast their evil eye on it due to which alone it has gone wrong since. (Shri Kunjuppu's car example falls in this category, imo.)
In either case we have, as yet no dependable mechanism to detect the evil eye, to measure its power, etc. Hence all this hammer-putting is more of a psychological cure for an irrational belief which, incidentally, increases trade in some commodities!

Regarding Smt. RR's observation, may I say that red chillies burn without giving off much of pungent fumes if they are put on brightly burning fire? The hammer-put red chillies are usually confined to slow burning embers and many times we detect our neighbour's act from that only! But for those who believe, it gives some relief and on the whole it is a harmless thing though the chilli fumes are real nuisance.

This is factually incorrect. There are many instances of rAkshasAs and pishAchAs in vedas proper and there are many mantras to ward off the evil.

Off-hand I can quote the following rk:

"apEtaveetavicha sarpathAthaH; vE athra statha purANA; vE cha nUtana"

This is a command to the evil spirits whether occupying the place for a very long time or who have taken up residency very recently, to leave the place and disperse themselves.

And you are forgetting nir-riti... the goddess of misfortune

Sri Narayan -

I do not know the particular line you are quoting so I am unable to have a response.

As you know the early parts of Vedic teaching is all about rituals while the last part is all about break-away from all rituals.
This is not contradiction unless one understands the full picture. Even a simple verse is often translated to ridiculous interpretations.

From the big picture view any translation of any word into evil is incorrect, in my understanding.

I have read at one time detailed and logical analysis of why interpretations around sacrifices & evil is incorrect but did not bother to follow up since I have little interest in rituals.

Please do let me know the exact citation and if I have time I will follow up and respond when I get time

Thanks

See, physical world is only a projection of reality. Ultimately, reality is accessed by the mind For an ideal mind or in other words for a spiritual mind, what one thinks exactly happens because physical reality is only a dummy reality. Just as good may happen from the intentions of good people, evil people have the capacity to produce bad as their thoughts have the power of breaking. It is in this context that evil eye or bad drishti should be considered and may well produce the attributed effects. One thing, we need to break away from the habit of literally interpreting what has been said in our culture and widen our vision a lot more.

Last edited:
If we analyze this "drishti" without any pre-conceived notions, it will be seen that drishti is blamed in one of two circumstances, mainly:
  1. something good or creditable happens to one of 'us' and we 'feel' that others, out of envy, will cast their "evil eye" on 'our person',
  2. something goes wrong with us and then we feel that possibly others have been jealous of our convenience and must have cast their evil eye on it due to which alone it has gone wrong since. (Shri Kunjuppu's car example falls in this category, imo.)
In either case we have, as yet no dependable mechanism to detect the evil eye, to measure its power, etc. Hence all this hammer-putting is more of a psychological cure for an irrational belief which, incidentally, increases trade in some commodities!.

If you believe in what you say, then there is not much difference from my original post.
God or religion does not cause war, humans in the name of religion cause war.
Just as a unloaded gun does not kill, but a person behind the gun can kill.
We very conveniently forget the individual and blame something else.

You agreed in your earlier post that there is "a life force" beyond us, I choose to call it God, you choose to deny it, and has become a personal mission to deny me my conviction.
I have no argument with you sir. I hope you do not have one with me.

"Dristi" is not innocuous, ​because the person causing the "eye" is generally real. It is hurtful and malicious to the individual who is supposed to have caused the effect. Such people were and are treated very badly, and sometime even violence is used against such unfortunate people, generally they are women and poor.

India, two elderly people were burned alive by a group of villagers, accused of black magic practices].

India: Two elderly burned alive accused of witchcraft | M24 Digital

If someone is scared of performing some mundane task at some time, I have no problem with it.
For instance You may not want to leave in Rahu kalam, what if the train Driver decides that he did not want to leave in Rahu Kalam.

Similarly an Emergency person may decide that they do not want to perform life saving service during Rahu kalam as it may go wrong.

I assumed that you being such a proponent of SAT would approve of my post, and support my position that superstitions cause untold misery and people should not practice it. If there is a scientific reason for a result then find the cause and neutralize it.

I hope that clarifies my position.

Last edited:
There is also a Mantra "Chandrameeli Suryameeli Kuru Kuru Swaha".
It is said that we have to chant this 108 times over glass of water and then
give that water to the affected person to drink.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

nara,

It is very good that you (and I too) are not "very informed with vedic practices", because, even with your limited knowledge you have put the most pertinent questions, imho.

I do not know on what grounds tks says that "the concept of evil does not exist in the Vedic vision". I suppose he may be the only knowledgeable person to elucidate that in this forum.

But the ritual killing of thousands of animals of various types, the ashvamedha with its abhorrent and sexual practices, even the "purushmedha" in which a particular kind of yajurvedi had to be killed, etc., were most probably found by our ancient Maharshis with their sixth or even seventh sense and "long vision" (as someone else used) because they found perhaps that doing these things will please the concerned devas and they will then bestow on to you whatever desire was supposed to be fulfilled. You see there is no evil here because you are not killing those animals but only sending them to the devas ! But our Maharshis were full of commonsense, rationality and pragmatism in not following Buddha's query that "If you are so sure that these animals reach the abode of the devas, why don't you first kill your grandparent, parent, etc? Why are you not doing that?"

Sri Sangom - Namaskaram :)

I think you may want to consider collaborating with Prof Wendy Donigar of University of Chicago and contribute to her research area.
[h=3]Divinity School at the University of Chicago | Faculty

All the best![/h]

If you believe in what you say, then there is not much difference from my original post.
God or religion does not cause war, humans in the name of religion cause war.
Just as a unloaded gun does not kill, but a person behind the gun can kill.
We very conveniently forget the individual and blame something else.

You agreed in your earlier post that there is "a life force" beyond us, I choose to call it God, you choose to deny it, and has become a personal mission to deny me my conviction.
I have no argument with you sir. I hope you do not have one with me.

"Dristi" is not innocuous, ​because the person causing the "eye" is generally real. It is hurtful and malicious to the individual who is supposed to have caused the effect. Such people were and are treated very badly, and sometime even violence is used against such unfortunate people, generally they are women and poor.

India: Two elderly burned alive accused of witchcraft | M24 Digital

If someone is scared of performing some mundane task at some time, I have no problem with it.
For instance You may not want to leave in Rahu kalam, what if the train Driver decides that he did not want to leave in Rahu Kalam.

Similarly an Emergency person may decide that they do not want to perform life saving service during Rahu kalam as it may go wrong.

I assumed that you being such a proponent of SAT would approve of my post, and support my position that superstitions cause untold misery and people should not practice it. If there is a scientific reason for a result then find the cause and neutralize it.

I hope that clarifies my position.

Shri prasad,

I have absolutely no ill will or quarrel with you. But in one earlier post you stated —

"I really do not care if some one else believes, as to what I believe. I do not need another human being for my belief system. Similarly I do not expect you need my support for your belief system."

If what you said was an honeststatement (and not just to rebuff someone, in a huff), it looks to me that you should not also care about what someone else believes. Just as you claim that you do not need another human being for your belief system, here shilparav also did not ask anyone to "support" her belief system but only asked about remedial action.In that stage your coming in and criticising drishti as superstition, etc., looks to me as though you want one rule for you (nobody should criticise you lest you rebuff with your "I really do not care if some one else believes, as to what I believe. I do not need another human being for my belief system.", but you, nevertheless, want the right to criticise and correct all others over here.

I will be glad if you will realize the double standards in your approach to exchange of views in a forum like this and refrain, at least in future, from usurping the right to criticise others while rebuffing criticism of your views. (If as you claim you "do not care if someone else believes as to what I believe" where is the need for you to participate in discussions, firstly?You should be content with your beliefs, whatever they are; at best you may read others' beliefs and change your beliefs, if you so feel, but then you must also concede that no other person will probably need what you believe as an input, just as you are.

PS. Whether superstitions are good or bad for society/country are not relevant to the point, imo.

Shri prasad,

I have absolutely no ill will or quarrel with you. But in one earlier post you stated —

"I really do not care if some one else believes, as to what I believe. I do not need another human being for my belief system. Similarly I do not expect you need my support for your belief system."

If what you said was an honeststatement (and not just to rebuff someone, in a huff), it looks to me that you should not also care about what someone else believes. Just as you claim that you do not need another human being for your belief system, here shilparav also did not ask anyone to "support" her belief system but only asked about remedial action.In that stage your coming in and criticising drishti as superstition, etc., looks to me as though you want one rule for you (nobody should criticise you lest you rebuff with your "I really do not care if some one else believes, as to what I believe. I do not need another human being for my belief system.", but you, nevertheless, want the right to criticise and correct all others over here.

I will be glad if you will realize the double standards in your approach to exchange of views in a forum like this and refrain, at least in future, from usurping the right to criticise others while rebuffing criticism of your views. (If as you claim you "do not care if someone else believes as to what I believe" where is the need for you to participate in discussions, firstly?You should be content with your beliefs, whatever they are; at best you may read others' beliefs and change your beliefs, if you so feel, but then you must also concede that no other person will probably need what you believe as an input, just as you are.

PS. Whether superstitions are good or bad for society/country are not relevant to the point, imo.

WOW, in spite of what you write you are repeating my statement "iI do not care if you believe in my belief" 3 times and in multiple post. Obviously it means a lot to you.
Secondly this is a public forum not a personal fight. I have as much to say as anyone else (other than webmaster).

You wrote:

Whether superstitions are good or bad for society/country are not relevant to the point, imo.

You should revisit that statement again. In a society of which we both live hoe our action effect others is very critical.
We seem to be living in a world that is getting less hospitable every day. Look closely at any endeavor our species has engaged in and it appears we are unaware of the harm we do, we ignore the harm we do, we intentionally do harm for our own gain, or sadly in some cases we do harm for our own pleasure and enjoyment.
Do No Harm

"One of the longstanding guidelines in the ethical treatment of human subjects is the concept of “do no harm”. Taken from the Belmont Report, which was originally intended to guide the ethics of medical research, this concept has been widely adapted in all forms of research with human subjects."
First, do no harm « ethical research

WOW, in spite of what you write you are repeating my statement "iI do not care if you believe in my belief" 3 times and in multiple post. Obviously it means a lot to you.
Secondly this is a public forum not a personal fight. I have as much to say as anyone else (other than webmaster)

Shri prasad,

Now it is clear that you have nothing to reply to regarding the points raised by me in post # 47 except the tangential attacks on superstitions. Obviously, readers will draw their own conclusions. Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back