• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How should we overcome our desires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you frankly ask me..I would not really be able to even define Bliss in the day to day context.
I have no idea what really brings joy to me cos life is in auto pilot mode and I do not really stop to think much these days.

Dear Renuka,

I feel sad now. You have to relax girl. Being alive is itself happiness.

Listen to this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5As4LT9ct8&feature=related

Kind Regards
Amirtha

If you frankly ask me..I would not really be able to even define Bliss in the day to day context.
I have no idea what really brings joy to me cos life is in auto pilot mode and I do not really stop to think much these days.

May be it about time you get rid of auto pilot mode and go on Mexican way

Dear Doctor,

Good thinking. You are correct in your assessment. "Bliss" again is just a word, it depends on our reaction to the events. An inner happiness cannot be described by words. It is an experience like "taste", a mental satisfaction derived out of results, only the person strives for it will understand. Again the old adage "Happiness is the state of mind" holds good. As you very well know "life, after all, is a chain of experiences, both good and bad". I believe every event in our life is predetermined and it "happens" like a flow, with or without our knowledge. After eight decades of living when I sum up my life I fail to identify my own efforts in shaping the flow of events in my life.
Wishing you well,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Dear raghyfor ur question''how to overcom desires''? is a difficult for a human being to get rid....but possible by practicing certain thing.....as brahmayan sir said,GITA has all answers.....so make it a practice to read bagavad gita everyday,no matter how much u read....one page or two page if not one shokas or its meaning is enuf.....u will change in u in due course,if u really wish to get rid of desires.....regards**gayathri

I have a feeling you are a male and not a female and that too I think I know who!LOL

Dr Jekyl and Ms Hyde syndrome I am seeing here! ha ha ha.

Poor Raghy he has been addressing you as Sowbhagyavathi and not Shri all this while! Ha Ha Ha.

Dear Renuka

I am laughing at your childish posting #204. This is personal attack. Stop provoking.You are paranoid. What are you afraid off? Is it the message or the person?. If you don’t want to make conversation to my message, don’t have to do it. You can be Ignoramuses and blessed as Shri Raju says in his postings #193. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we call this "uncanny knack of Dr.Renuka diagnosis?

Dear Sri. Manohar Kumar, Greetings.

Sometimes I have noticed doctors misdiagnose an illness even after physically examining a person. I notice a dianosis about a person from the cyber space! This dianosis is really intersting to say the least.

Cheers!

Dear Renuka,

Or is it a Micky and Donald skit? We wait for the denouement.

Cheers.

Sri. Raju, Greetings.

I thought we respond to messages in this forum; I am learning people pay so much importance to the person, not the message!

Cheers!

I have a feeling you are a male and not a female and that too I think I know who!LOL

Dr Jekyl and Ms Hyde syndrome I am seeing here! ha ha ha.

Poor Raghy he has been addressing you as Sowbhagyavathi and not Shri all this while! Ha Ha Ha.

Sowbagyavathy Renuka, Greetings.

when I see a name 'Amirtha' I would take that name as a lady's name, unless stated otherwise. In this case, There was already a conversation with you by Amirtha about this, you offered her flowers and she accepted it too. I don't see the reason for this personal attack now. It is not nice to hint a person has a split personality. If you are going to have a brwl with this new member, kindly take it elsewhere, please. I am worried by the messages only; I am not worried about the person behind the message.

Cheers!

Dear raghyfor ur question''how to overcom desires''? is a difficult for a human being to get rid....but possible by practicing certain thing.....as brahmayan sir said,GITA has all answers.....so make it a practice to read bagavad gita everyday,no matter how much u read....one page or two page if not one shokas or its meaning is enuf.....u will change in u in due course,if u really wish to get rid of desires.....regards**gayathri

Sowbagyavathy Gayathri, Greetings.

Thank you for your suggestion. Gita may have all the answers, but often times we may not have all the questions. Sometimes, Gita may not have an answer. We could go through Gita once again too. Who knows? It may even happen in this same forum in a different thread too. But, thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Cheers!

when I see a name 'Amirtha' I would take that name as a lady's name, unless stated otherwise. In this case, There was already a conversation with you by Amirtha about this, you offered her flowers and she accepted it too. I don't see the reason for this personal attack now. It is not nice to hint a person has a split personality. If you are going to have a brwl with this new member, kindly take it elsewhere, please. I am worried by the messages only; I am not worried about the person behind the message.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

This is not a personal attack..it's just my desire!

I think I was under the impression that one should not suppress one's desire and indulge in it as to get over it.
So right now I am in over indulgence mode!LOL

<let's not provoke anyone - new or existing members. Lets show them some courtesy and not make them feel unwelcome. Hope you would understand. - praveen>

Last edited by a moderator:
<let's not provoke anyone - new or existing members. Lets show them some courtesy and not make them feel unwelcome. Hope you would understand. - praveen>[/QUOTE]

Dear Praveen,

I am sorry..I had no real intention of attacking anyone.
I was just kidding but since my posts sounded a sort of "attackish" I apologize once again to you and to the entire forum.

regards
renu

I am quite amazed Raghy mama at your naivete. I knew ages and ages ago in life, real and virtual people are more important than their message. Many times. Even when i was new to this forum I could quickly see that! Even in politics, or rather especially in politcs, don't most people vote for the person.

My post has got nothing to do with this thread and the whole "Amirgate" thing :).

Cheers!

I think both the message and the messenger are important but the messenger even more so.
There is no message without a messenger. If the messenger is unable to articulate his message, then he can not effectively make people understand his message, and he cannot rally people behind him to 'like' his message.

A messenger can tell me anything I want to hear, but is he capable of living upto the message? The only way to judge that is by looking at his past actions. For that, you have to know him/her as a person. Take, for example, a politician. His messages invariably are a bunch of sugar-coated candies, but does it imply that he is going to deliver the goods? Most politicians aren't going to deliver the goods by just articulating their message. These days, these know-nothing messengers read their messages from pieces of paper or a teleprompter. So you have to look at the collective past of the messenger, know the person - what kind of person he is, what his private life is, what kind of wealth he has accumulated, who he has been associated with, etc etc. Messages can change and people can change their minds, but who that person is and who their friends are, tells a lot about them.

Unless you know a person, who he is, what his credentials are, anybody can bring a message which could be copy-cat, or plagiarised, or written by a speech-writer, and you may end up believing a wolf in sheep's clothing, or an upstart turkey strutting like a peacock.

Nityananda and Sivananda both lay claims to scriptural messages, but then look at Nityananda’s shenanigans!

These days, it is so easy to use science as an excuse to peddle the rationalist message even when the messenger does not have any credentials in the higher reaches of science.

In conclusion, personalities and credentials do matter.

Last edited:
Dear Sri. Naina, Greetings.

This is just a discussion forum. With respect to your opinion, we are here just to have some discussion and have some good time. I don't know about others, I am not here to change anyone's point of view. Moreover, I don't think anyone would get any benefit just by posting a mesage in this forum.

I just reply to messages. We seldom know much about any new members. When I joined, I went through the same thing too. Later on we may or may not get to know more about that messenger.

For me, message is very important. A middle aged prostitute from Chindhadhiripet, Mount Road showed me perseverence and self respect; she looked pathetic and at the verge of loosing hopes. But she didn't. That was about 36 years ago. I forgot about that messenger very long ago; but not the message.

Kindness and caring for others irrespective to one's own benefit was taught to me by an illeterate gentleman in my village when I was just 9 years old. I was struggling and playing circus to plant புடலங்காய் plant. Patiently he showed me the right way to do it.. that year we had so many pudalkay, my mother didn't know what to do with them. Afterwards I hung out a lot with him and he showed me so much in life mainly about love and sacrifices. In fact applied them to my children and I could shower them with something I never received as a child.

I personally pay a lot of respect to the message. If I know the mesenger, the message becomes better. I have the patience to know more about the messenger.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

This is not a personal attack..it's just my desire!

I think I was under the impression that one should not suppress one's desire and indulge in it as to get over it.
So right now I am in over indulgence mode!LOL

<let's not provoke anyone - new or existing members. Lets show them some courtesy and not make them feel unwelcome. Hope you would understand. - praveen>

Dear Renuka, Greetings.

I said " I would not supress my desires as long as noone is offended by my idulging". But here the case was different. Some one felt offended. Sorry, this is not my way of indulging.

Cheers!

Dear Renuka, Greetings.

I said " I would not supress my desires as long as noone is offended by my idulging". But here the case was different. Some one felt offended. Sorry, this is not my way of indulging.

Cheers!

No two minds are alike.

En vali thani vali.

anyways the matter is closed now.

i have already said sorry.

Our Hindu scriptures clearly identifies the desire as the chief root
of bondage. It is only those who are spiritually reformed would be
able to overcome the desire for sensory gratification. In order
to achieve this, the spiritual aspirants do constantly strive to conquer
the desire. A question may arise in somebody's mind as to whether
the desire is an impediment to spiritual progress. It is human's nature
that when one desire is fulfilled, another one sprouts immediately
in its place and it becomes a chain of desires which is an endless process.
It is therefore imperative for a person to weed it out right in the beginning without
becoming a slave to it.

If one closely watches our history, Bharata is an example who turned down the kingdom
which his mother Kaikeyi got it for him by way of boons from King Dasaratha.
Though Lord Rama being elder the son sacrificed the Kingdom to fulfil the words
of His father King Dasaratha and went into exile for 14 years to the forest.

When Bharata came back to Ayodhya from his Uncle's house on hearing the
developments, went to prostrate to persuade Lord Rama to come back to Ayodhya
In fact a huge number of people went to Bharathan assuming that it is he
who has asked for the Kingdom at his mother's insistence. But Guhan on
seeing stopped every one and explained to them the actual fact. Bharat
like one who rejects the sin, he discarded the Kingdom of Ayodhya. It is
his laudable qualities that made him equal to Lord Rama. In fact Bharat
wept on seeing the place where Lord Rama and Sita slept while Lakshmana
stood as a standing guard throughout the whole night. Bharat's sacrifice was
much greater than Lord Rama, who had no desire to enjoy the power
which came his way. Bharat could easily overcome the desire of Kingdom
but could not control himself the sorrow which his mother had bought him.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back