• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How should we overcome our desires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Amirtha,

Yes it is normal to get pissed off when we are not too happy with something.
For me sometimes I do not really write in anger but I show all sorts of gestures to the lap top screen!LOL

It's a good way to release any pent up emotions.
Anger is all about diversion!
Divert anger and you learn to control lots of things.

I am happy you liked the flowers.
So what else you like?

Dear Renuka

I do not want to hijack this thread. If you want to know about me we may have to start a new thread stating "what Amirtha like". ..LOL..

Dear Renuka

I do not want to hijack this thread. If you want to know about me we may have to start a new thread stating "what Amirtha like". ..LOL..

Likes and dislikes are our desires..so this is the correct thread.
Even hijacking is a desire..so this is the best thread to discuss anything under the sun!LOL

Likes and dislikes are our desires..so this is the correct thread.
Even hijacking is a desire..so this is the best thread to discuss anything under the sun!LOL

Well, yeah you could look at it that way. I can see your desire to know me! LOL Now it is time for you control that desire! LOL

Well, yeah you could look at it that way. I can see your desire to know me! LOL Now it is time for you control that desire! LOL

No No..didn't you read what I wrote above yesterday?
Where I had said that if one can't live up to the expectations of religion..one should admit it!

yes I admit I still have desires and knowing more about you is the desire of me and many others in Forum!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Renuka

I just read your post. This is my reply.

After some 17 pages of discussion on "how to overcome our desires"
I feel each and everyone of us should just make up our mind and admit our flaws and inadequacies and also admit that most of us can not live up to certain expectations of religion instead of finding some excuse on technical grounds.

I think each and every one of us know our flaw and inadequacies. I understand what do you mean by admit it. Yeah, unless you admit (doesn’t have to go in public do it) to yourself, you are not going to change it. But I am not agreeing with the religion part of it. What does religion got anything to do with anything. Anyway that is my opinion.

If we want to enjoy our existence as a householder forever and ever and not think of Sanyas then one should just admit it that we can't give up attachment with loved ones and not try to justify our inadequacies by humanizing actions of God.

See, you can be sanyasi at the same time samsari. It is very easy to do. We are all doing it already
. We are gods and goddesses..LOL

We should not try to even think that Sanyasis and Sadhus have no feelings and love blah blah blah.
If we can not be them we should just be happy with what we are doing and who we are.

No no..I am a free thinker. I think whatever I want. But I know what you mean. Sanyasi and saghus they are all have feelings and love.

If we can't give up addiction or overindulgence just admit we love it and do not talk about controlling desires.

This is the upto the individual to deal with it though. Every one has addiction /overindulgence at times in our life. If you have good control over it, why can’t you enjoy it?

If we cannot give up a Rajas or Tamas desire we should not say that even a Sattva desire is still a desire.

Well my dear, according to our (Hindu) old literature , .i.e Bagavat Geetha, does say Sattva is also a desire. If you really look into it deeply, sattva gunam wants good and peave in everything. Why? so that that person can be at peace. I can see kind of arrogance in it. (I hope I haven’t offended anyone)

We should only being saying this when we have gone beyond the 3 gunas.

Well, if gone past that stage, we won’t be here discussing this and secondly who ever gone past that stage, won’t be saying this either and won't be here either.

We should not be saying that one needs to have equal vision for everything when we are still very much havent gone beyond the pairs of opposite.

That is what Geetha says

Having equal vision does not mean we should abandon Viveka.
Common sense is also needed in day to day life.

I definitely agree with you with this one

I have noticed many people in life actually try to justify their actions by finding some technical loop holes in scriptures.

This is called curiosity. This is what our scriptures taught/teaching us. We want to be careful what we are following or not following . LOL

It's high time we be truthful to ourselves..if we can't be sans desires in this life..better luck in another life.

This is our only chance ..LOL

Kind Regards
Amirtha

Last edited by a moderator:
After some 17 pages of discussion on "how to overcome our desires"
I feel each and everyone of us should just make up our mind and admit our flaws and inadequacies and also admit that most of us can not live up to certain expectations of religion instead of finding some excuse on technical grounds.

I think each and every one of us know our flaw and inadequacies. I understand what do you mean by admit it. Yeah, unless you admit (doesn’t have to go in public do it) to yourself, you are not going to change it. But I am agreeing with the religion part of it. What does religion got anything to do with anything. Anyway that is my opinion.

If we want to enjoy our existence as a householder forever and ever and not think of Sanyas then one should just admit it that we can't give up attachment with loved ones and not try to justify our inadequacies by humanizing actions of God.
See, you can be sanyasi at the same time samsari. It is very easy to do. We are all doing it already.
We should not try to even think that Sanyasis and Sadhus have no feelings and love blah blah blah.
If we can not be them we should just be happy with what we are doing and who we are.

Eh..eh.. I am a free thinker. I think whatever I want. But I know what you mean. Sanyasi and saghus they are all have feelings and love.

If we can't give up addiction or overindulgence just admit we love it and do not talk about controlling desires.
This is the upto the individual to deal with it though. Every one has addiction /overindulgence at times in our life. If you have good control over it, why can’t you enjoy it?

If we cannot give up a Rajas or Tamas desire we should not say that even a Sattva desire is still a desire.
Well my dear, according to our (Hindu) old literature , .i.e Bagavat Geetha, does say Sattva is also a desire. If you really look into it deeply, sattva gunam wants good and peave in everything. Why? so that that person can be at peace. I can see kind of arrogance in it. (I hope I haven’t offended anyone)

We should only being saying this when we have gone beyond the 3 gunas.
Well, if gone past that stage, we won’t be her discussing this and secondly who ever gone past that stage, won’t be saying this either.

We should not be saying that one needs to have equal vision for everything when we are still very much havent gone beyond the pairs of opposite.
That is what Geetha says
Having equal vision does not mean we should abandon Viveka.
Common sense is also needed in day to day life.
I definitely agree with you with this one

I have noticed many people in life actually try to justify their actions by finding some technical loop holes in scriptures.
This is called curiosity. This is what our scriptures taught/teaching us. We want to be careful what we are following.

It's high time we be truthful to ourselves..if we can't be sans desires in this life..better luck in another life.
This is our only chance ..LOL

Upon the churning the Geeta and Ramayan we obtain Amrita. O' Keshava O' Raghava..how great Thy glory.

Dear Amirtha, Raghy and Renuka,

The posts make quite an interesting reading. May I ask the three of you a basic question? What do you mean by Ananda (the sat and chit can be ignored now). Please.

The posts make quite an interesting reading. May I ask the three of you a basic question? What do you mean by Ananda (the sat and chit can be ignored now). Please.

Dear sir,

Ananda is known to mean Bliss.
Why do you ask?

Dear Renuka,

Can u make it a little elaborate? Why do you make me ask now What is bliss?

Cheers.

As far as I remember the Avadhuta Gita gives some good explanation about Bliss.

The whole universe is a projection of the mind; therefore it is a mode of the mind.
The true nature of the mind is bliss, and when the mind is stilled, bliss absolute is revealed.

If your questions go too detail I am going to say Ignorance is Bliss!LOL

Dear Renuka,

The Anandavalli of Thaithreeyam speaks repeatedly about a certain Ananda. It even establishes a scale to measure the Ananda using a certain scale/measure. It says the Atma is Anandamayam. It is not speaking about any bliss there. It is something else. What is that something is the question. Hope this triggers a contemplative process in you.

Cheers.

Dear Renuka,

The whole [COLOR=#DA7911 !important]universe is a projection of the mind; therefore it is a mode of the mind. [/COLOR]The true nature of the mind is bliss, and when the mind is stilled, bliss absolute is revealed.

There are more than two opinions about this assertion. So it is only a opinion.

Dear Suraju

You got me there. I am still thinking. What will make me ananda all the time. At this point in time in my life detachment won't make me ananda. But making someone closer to me happy will make me feel ananda. Becuase definetly for sure in return it is going to make me ananda. ( I am selfish).

Kind Regards
Amirtha

Dear Renuka,

The Anandavalli of Thaithreeyam speaks repeatedly about a certain Ananda. It even establishes a scale to measure the Ananda using a certain scale/measure. It says the Atma is Anandamayam. It is not speaking about any bliss there. It is something else. What is that something is the question. Hope this triggers a contemplative process in you.

Cheers.

Hey this sounds like the Gross National Happiness Index!LOL

For descriptive purposes the subjective experience of the Unknown has been described as Sat Cit Ananda.

So that is only for descriptive purposes.

The real fact we might never ever know.

I have thought of this long back when I penned down this poem some years back.

The Unknown

No one really knows the Unknown,
A journey towards all eventually go,
What it beholds, remains the greatest mystery,
A search for Existence,Consciousness ,Bliss.

Well enshrouded by the Cosmic Deluder,
Spun like a spider a web of three colours,
Destroy the bond with the power of knowledge,
Emerge a chrysalis from the cocoon of ignorance.

Free to fly, like a butterfly,
Be tempted not by the flowers of desire,
Embark the journey to region of no return,
Sail the ocean of sorrow and trouble.

The road to the Unknown can never be found,
By the light all see around,
Look within,not with your eyes,
Realize the path in this play of Divine.

When the journey ends,truth will dawn,
The Unknown, “You” will never ever know,
Cos’ “You” were never really “You”,
But all the while the Unknown too.

Last edited:
For descriptive purposes the [COLOR=#DA7911 !important]subjective[/COLOR] experience of the Unknown has been described as Sat Cit Ananda.

So that is only for descriptive purposes.

That is a play with words and phrases. A subjective experience can never really be described. Can you say with certainty when you experience (see) green I too experience(the word 'experience' in place of 'see' is deliberately chosen here-think about it) green? In the ultimate analysis we are all individually bottled up in a container and are all terribly lonely there. We cant even really express what we see leave alone the 'felt Ananda'. When I meet the Doctor Renuka with pain in my neck I can only say it pains. I can not say 'how' it pains.

Cheers.

Last edited:
That is a play with words and phrases. A subjective experience can never really be described. Can you say with certainty when you experience (see) green I too experience(the word 'experience' in place of 'see' is deliberately chosen here-think about it) green? In the ultimate analysis we are all individually bottled up in a container and are all terribly lonely there. We cant even really express what we see leave alone the 'felt Ananda'. When I meet the Doctor Renuka with pain in my neck I can only say it pains. I can not say 'how' it pains.

Cheers.

Pain can be described..for example..shooting pain,burning pain,dull aching pain,throbbing pain and also Mild,Moderate and Severe.

Pain can be described..for example..[COLOR=#DA7911 !important]shooting pain[/COLOR],burning pain,dull [COLOR=#DA7911 !important]aching[/COLOR] pain,throbbing pain and also Mild,Moderate and Severe.

Dear Doctor Renuka, I half expected that.My doctor here in India has warned me that my pain threshold is quite high(and believe me it has nothing to do with my neurons as I am a perfectly healthy individual). So where do all these throbbing, shooting, burning and dull and many more "experience" adjectives take us? My doctor asks me to keep quite whenever I open up with my pain experience. He does his own diagnosis and reaches his conclusions.

Cheers.

Dear Doctor Renuka, I half expected that.My doctor here in India has warned me that my pain threshold is quite high(and believe me it has nothing to do with my neurons as I am a perfectly healthy individual). So where do all these throbbing, shooting, burning and dull and many more "experience" adjectives take us? My doctor asks me to keep quite whenever I open up with my pain experience. He does his own diagnosis and reaches his conclusions.

Cheers.

It does make a difference in the diagnosis.
Somehow patients will describe something and we can get rough picture.

I know some people have high pain threshold.

Cheers.

There are ways to find out pain though. But I get what you mean. Only அனுபவிக்கப்படும்.

It might be like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D50kh6B5IRw

Kind Regards
Amirtha

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Renuka,

It does make a difference in [COLOR=#DA7911 !important]the diagnosis[/COLOR].
Somehow patients will describe something and we can get rough picture.
I know some people have high pain threshold.

Of course pain or even the absence of it is certainly indicative of some trouble and to that extent is useful in diagnosis. All I say is that it is again relative to the individual patient. It is not like temperature, oozing blood etc., etc., And the most important point I make is that we are not able make a definitive scale for it. As you said the picture you get is only a very rough one. Coming back to Ananda, we atleast have a crude (?) scale when we speak about mAnusha AnandA, manushyagandharvAnAmAnandA, dEvagandharvAnAmAnandA etc. etc., Or don't we?

Cheers.

Dear Renuka,

Of course pain or even the absence of it is certainly indicative of some trouble and to that extent is useful in diagnosis. All I say is that it is again relative to the individual patient. It is not like temperature, oozing blood etc., etc., And the most important point I make is that we are not able make a definitive scale for it. As you said the picture you get is only a very rough one. Coming back to Ananda, we atleast have a crude (?) scale when we speak about mAnusha AnandA, manushyagandharvAnAmAnandA, dEvagandharvAnAmAnandA etc. etc., Or don't we?

Cheers.

If you frankly ask me..I would not really be able to even define Bliss in the day to day context.
I have no idea what really brings joy to me cos life is in auto pilot mode and I do not really stop to think much these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back