• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How should we overcome our desires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sowbagyavathy Amirtha,

Yes, it can get in to mada. Have we not seen somany persons falling in that trap? It is so easy to fall in that. When people realise one has such controlled state of mind, they just crowd such a person and slowly not only that person but also the persons around him fall in the trap of mada. To maintain satchitananda, one has to stay calm and fight that mada. It is not hard. Again, one has to be honest and sincere; one has to apologise if any mistakes commited even after acheiving 'satchitananda' state of mind... after all, still one is a human being, could still make a mistake.

Cheers!

Shri Raghy

When the person reach the state of Sat Chit Ananda, the person becomes Brahmam. If you still have to fight to keep the mada and such kind of SELF destroying qulities, then that person has not achieved Sat Chit Ananda. This is my opinion though.

Regards
Amirtha

Dear Raghy I agree with u there r plenty cases of suicide due to love failure , lack of attention & patners involved in adulterous activities etc . But if same person start spiritual advancement than i dont think he will commit suicide. There is lot of difference in bodily & spiritual pleasure.

Greetings.

I am a bit sceptical about a Guru.
Cheers!

Shri Raghy

Once my father told me "you are your guru". I didnt understand it then. Now I can see what he meant. By observing our surroundings and our experiences in our life, we teach ourselves all the time. We learn and teach ourself all the time. No matter how much bodani you get from other, it is YOU, you have to get it processed. Each and everyone of us go through ah..ah.. moments in our life. I call it ligh bulb moments. This ah..ah.. mometns are so subtle, we dont even realise we have it.

Regards
Amirtha

Sat Chit Ananda is described as a state of "bliss" and that can translate for most people as joy/happiness/pleasure, perhaps?

Dear Raghy I agree with u there r plenty cases of suicide due to love failure , lack of attention & patners involved in adulterous activities etc . But if same person start spiritual advancement than i dont think he will commit suicide. There is lot of difference in bodily & spiritual pleasure.

Shri Brahin

Yes I agree with you. If that person comforted into spiritual advancement, that person may not committed suicide. But still pleasure is pleasure. We can only enjoy it through our mind and body.

Regards
Amirtha

Dear Amirtha,

I somehow get a feeling that your presence has been around in forum much longer and only now I saw that in the introduction section you had mentioned that you had been around sometime as a guest and only now decided to participate.

Don't know how come I could sense this.
Hope I am not turning psychic!

Nice to read your posts.
What took you so long to write yaar?

Dear Sri. Brahin, Greetings.

The context of my messager was not comparing physical and 'spiritual' pleasures. Actually I don't even know what is spiritual pleasure anyway. I was only showing the possibilities of someone commiting suicide in the event of deprivation of sexual desires. That same person when he/she could not get his/her desire satisfied, could have moved on to the next available and willing person to get his/her desire fulfilled; that person may not commit suicide either. I am not interested in getting caught in a conversation about 'spiritual pleasure'... I don't know about that.

Cheers!

Sat Chit Ananda is described as a state of "bliss" and that can translate for most people as joy/happiness/pleasure, perhaps?

Sowbagyavathy Amala, Greetings.

Personally, I see Satchitananda as a state of mind. I do not see that as 'pleasure'.

Cheers!

Shri Raghy

When the person reach the state of Sat Chit Ananda, the person becomes Brahmam. If you still have to fight to keep the mada and such kind of SELF destroying qulities, then that person has not achieved Sat Chit Ananda. This is my opinion though.

Regards
Amirtha

Sowbagyavathy Amirtha, Greetings.

In my message in post #140 I said
Sat Cihid Ananda is not a type of pleasure and it is not permanent either; not for human beings anyway.
. It is not a permanent state of mind while we are in this world; what happens after death is anybody's guess and I am not going assume anything about that. Any human being is susectible to make a mistake until his/her death. Then hopefully he/she would not commit any mistake unless it was pre-organised.

Yes, when that person briefly at the state of Satchitanandam, he/she is equal to Brhmam for that brief period only. Hopefully that person understands when he/she enjoys Satchitanandam, then may strive to extend the period more in due course. But that does not matter anyway. Once acheived, that state of mind doesn't go away. If that person continues to be kind to others, after death possibly may join Brhmam. I don't know; that's only assuming.

Cheers!

post 132 #
dear raghy !
i enjoy your post line by line and every thought provoking with out any quotes and only from your experience.keep it up.look is like tiger but the heart with love.the words are flowing like the river with out any ornamental work.to say in tamil
அலங்காரம் இல்லாத அறிவுப்பூர்வமான வார்த்தைகள்
guruvayurappan

Dear Sri. Guruvayurappan, Greetings.

Thank you sir! But I am picking up my words only from here and there. Thanks for your encouragements. I wish to put my own words in practice more and more. By the way, most of these awakenings were possible by persons with reduced cognitive capacity and with reduced mental health. Most of them have little or no insight; I as a nurse have to reach across psychologically. They are my Gurus.

Cheers!

Sowbagyavathy Amala, Greetings.

on the hindsight, my initial response to your message was not in detail.

Satchitananda, in my opinion, is not a pleasure. Any type of pleasure can not last for ever; pleasures can't be permanent. Moreover, if there is 'bliss', then there has to be 'misery'. also, pleasure is a feeling. Brahmam feels nothing; it has to be beyond feelings. That's why it is a state. It is a state of equilibrium. When something is in equilibrium, it does not change it's state unless an external force is applied on that. There can't be an external force that could be applied on Brahmam.

Human beings are not Brahmam. they can only experience Satchitanandam through their mind. That's why it is a 'state of mind' for a person. At that time, at that instant when a person experiences Satchitanandam, there is no feeling; that mind lacks nothing; it's full; it doesn't ask for anything; it doesn't give anything, but the mind itself; it's the connection and just the compassion flowing through.... just for very brief period only.

Cheers!

Dear Amirtha,

I somehow get a feeling that your presence has been around in forum much longer and only now I saw that in the introduction section you had mentioned that you had been around sometime as a guest and only now decided to participate.

Don't know how come I could sense this.
Hope I am not turning psychic!

Nice to read your posts.
What took you so long to write yaar?

Dear Renuka

Thank you. We are all psychic. I am here for experience. Instead of "what", if you ask me "why", i say ....Dessssire....LOL.

Dear Shri Raghy

Sowbagyavathy Amirtha, Greetings. Welcome to the forum.

Now only I saw this. Thank you.

Raghy Said:
"Samsara itself is a great teacher. There is no better teacher than the situations we face in our own lives. If we decide, if we commit ourselves to be quitable to everyone in our life, our education starts"

Yes Samsara is a great teacher. I learned and learning so much from it. I am pretty sure most of us will agree.

Raghy said:
"Most often than not, people become inflexible under the guise of 'policies', 'family/ village practices' etc"

Yes I used to be like that. Tunnel vision or கிணற்று தவளை. As I gain more life experience and observed my surrounds, I started to think. So I had lot of light bulb moments in my life. My only desire is to gain knowldge and to know the truth. Truth will make you free or it might hurt too. It depends upon the individual.
Yes you are right. I came across ( and still do) people with tunnel vision. Most of the time people are afraid of change. Because they are in their comfort zone. Even if thery overcome their fear, they might be tumble across societial norms and wouldn't know how to deal with it. There is so much goes throguh one's mind.

Regards
Amirtha

Dear Renuka

Thank you. We are all psychic. I am here for experience. Instead of "what", if you ask me "why", i say ....Dessssire....LOL.

Somehow you sound very much like someone I know well..same spelling of words and also same spelling mistakes!LOL
Well may be it's just my imagination.

Another person asked the Sanyasi "Why do I need to have a Guru? Is not possible to reach God without a Guru"

Sanyasi was explaining the role of a Guru to this guy etc but the guy was not getting convinced.

Since this was a group discussion..I asked that guy "Did you go to a university"

He replied "yes I am a proffesional"

I said "Ok..did you have lecturers in your university to guide and teach you for the degree?"

He said "yes"

I said "There you go..thats why you need a Guru!"

I sometimes feel when we choose day to day simple examples it is easier to grasp cos explaining to a person that Guru is remover of darkness etc will just not really light up anyone's head these days.

A similar question was asked to Swami Dayanada Sarswathi , the great Vedantic Teacher as to why should one need a Guru especially now we have all the audio CDs,DVDs of spiritual talks available .
Swami Dayanada replied to that person why do you ask me that question , ask that question to your audio CD or DVD .
That sums it up . As long as you have a doubt you need some one to clear it up .If a CD /DVD/Book can do it ,then it is fine but how many people can say that ?

After some 17 pages of discussion on "how to overcome our desires"
I feel each and everyone of us should just make up our mind and admit our flaws and inadequacies and also admit that most of us can not live up to certain expectations of religion instead of finding some excuse on technical grounds.

If we want to enjoy our existence as a householder forever and ever and not think of Sanyas then one should just admit it that we can't give up attachment with loved ones and not try to justify our inadequacies by humanizing actions of God.
We should not try to even think that Sanyasis and Sadhus have no feelings and love blah blah blah.
If we can not be them we should just be happy with what we are doing and who we are.

If we can't give up addiction or overindulgence just admit we love it and do not talk about controlling desires.

If we cannot give up a Rajas or Tamas desire we should not say that even a Sattva desire is still a desire.

We should only being saying this when we have gone beyond the 3 gunas.

We should not be saying that one needs to have equal vision for everything when we are still very much havent gone beyond the pairs of opposite.

Having equal vision does not mean we should abandon Viveka.
Common sense is also needed in day to day life.

I have noticed many people in life actually try to justify their actions by finding some technical loop holes in scriptures.

It's high time we be truthful to ourselves..if we can't be sans desires in this life..better luck in another life.

Last edited:
Somehow you sound very much like someone I know well..same spelling of words and also same spelling mistakes!LOL
Well may be it's just my imagination.

But You haven't ask me. I was going to ignore this message from you. But decided to say something. Lot of people think alike also sometimes write a like. Also mainly, if you have doubt, and you look into things in that mind set, you can see anything that way. That is what our mind does. When emotions creep in we loose our sight.

Kind Regards
Amirtha

But You haven't ask me. I was going to ignore this message from you. But decided to say something. Lot of people think alike also sometimes write a like. Also mainly, if you have doubt, and you look into things in that mind set, you can see anything that way. That is what our mind does. When emotions creep in we loose our sight.

Kind Regards
Amirtha

Cloning verily exists!LOL

Desire is an inborn quality in every human and also in animals. This is God's creation. One
may not be able to over come but one only can control it to some extent or defer it by
counseling. Every human being's life be an illiterate or literate, villager or an urban
nomad or tribal, etc. part and parcel of the life is one major unique element is dissatisfaction.
The dissatisfaction with the object or item that he possesses, his/her desire increases
only and does not decrease, because he/she would like to have a modern one and the
desire will multiply for more in life. You can assume, just like a coin which has two sides,
desire and dissatisfaction are interrelated. It can be said that the dissatisfaction
takes a person to a desire and the unfulfilled desire leads to Dissatisfaction. Therefore,
it may not be possible to separate the two, unless one is Sanyasi. Even Sanyasi has a
desire to achieve something in life. There are instances of present day Sanyasis.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

My only desire is to gain knowldge and to know the truth. Truth will make you free or it might hurt too.

The concept of truth and the concept of illusion, both are illusions. There no such thing as 'truth'. We just want to beleve what ever is comfortable for us to believe. Irrespective to whether we think 'from outside the square' or ' from inside the square' or ' think from no square at all position', still we can not know everything. Still there are going to be unexplained events around us every now and then. We can never understand everything. So, we may not learn the truth ever.

In that kind of situation, what is the relative truth? What ever truth we realise is only going to be relative. We may end up in a different dimension where what ever we imagined could be just irrelevant! We don't even know all the available dimensions, do we? So, I am absolutely happy to learn what is just around me. That is enough for me. All I like to do is, just be as helpful as possible to others and just enjoy my time. I am not worried about anything else.

Only truth I know is, I am not a 'good person'. Weekly JD, enjoy browsing through beauties, listening to nice songs and writing what comes to mind. I am very happy,.. one would show my case and say " one should never be like him!" .. I am not sad about that. I just got one life; I just want to be as cheerful as possible... just light up the sorroundings with a big smile... So, am I going suffer stroke or heart seizure one day? That's fine. Before that, I like to help at leat few persons, improve at least few lives ( have helped few so far; literally have 'saved' ( mostly from drowning) few so far)... when the time comes, just go!.. Am I going to come back again again and again? So be it! at least, I know this place!

So, 'truth' differs from person to person. Most persons end up in delusions when they go behind someone seeking 'truth'. I met a few acutely ill in observation area. I don't want to go into their religious delusions. The most unfortunate was a girl just 17 years old. I am very glad I am not in the acute observation area anymore. Why I am saying this? They all thought they were speaking the 'truth'.

Personally, I don't even like to know the 'truth'. What ever happens, is fine with me.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dear all,

It has been serious debates through out.

Lets unwind with this song before next debate starts.

Talking to you is like talking to myself!

[video=youtube_share;3WS96ApdwL4]http://youtu.be/3WS96ApdwL4[/video]

The concept of truth and the concept of illusion, both are illusions. There no such thing as 'truth'. We just want to beleve what ever is comfortable for us to believe. Irrespective to whether we think 'from outside the square' or ' from inside the square' or ' think from no square at all position', still we can not know everything. Still there are going to be unexplained events around us every now and then. We can never understand everything. So, we may not learn the truth ever.

In that kind of situation, what is the relative truth? What ever truth we realise is only going to be relative. We may end up in a different dimension where what ever we imagined could be just irrelevant! We don't even know all the available dimensions, do we? So, I am absolutely happy to learn what is just around me. That is enough for me. All I like to do is, just be as helpful as possible to others and just enjoy my time. I am not worried about anything else.

Only truth I know is, I am not a 'good person'. Weekly JD, enjoy browsing through beauties, listening to nice songs and writing what comes to mind. I am very happy,.. one would show my case and say " one should never be like him!" .. I am not sad about that. I just got one life; I just want to be as cheerful as possible... just light up the sorroundings with a big smile... So, am I going suffer stroke or heart seizure one day? That's fine. Before that, I like to help at leat few persons, improve at least few lives ( have helped few so far; literally have 'saved' ( mostly from drowning) few so far)... when the time comes, just go!.. Am I going to come back again again and again? So be it! at least, I know this place!

So, 'truth' differs from person to person. Most persons end up in delusions when they go behind someone seeking 'truth'. I met a few acutely ill in observation area. I don't want to go into their religious delusions. The most unfortunate was a girl just 17 years old. I am very glad I am not in the acute observation area anymore. Why I am saying this? They all thought they were speaking the 'truth'.

Personally, I don't even like to know the 'truth'. What ever happens, is fine with me.

Cheers!

Dear Shri Raghy

I really appreciate your truthfulness. Thank you. I noticed and feel some kind of animosity towards me in this forum. Yes, you are right, people have lot of illusion. All our senses are most of the time tell lies. Whatever our mind want to believe, it connects only what is necessary to achieve that and forget the rest. I have been called clone. It is very hurtful. I have no intention to prove to that person that I am not clone. I know exactly who I am. I am not talking about self realised person. I am just talking about my physical and emotional self. I am not here to change or ridicule other people ideas or thinking. I respect and appreciate other people input because I learn from it. I was attracted by your honest writings and trying get best out of myself ( I am selfish). Even now while I am reading this I can relate to this to my personal life.

Kind Regards
Amirtha

( I am not able to send or receive private mails. Will you be able to tell me how to do it? Thanks)

Dear Amirtha,

Don't feel sad yaar..I was just joking about clone etc.
You know many people have thought that another member and I think alike also.

Don't take anything too seriously..all of us are a fun loving lot.
If you are feeling hurt..I sincerely apologize.

Be happy Ok.

This is for you.

flor31.jpg

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

Apology accepted. Thanks for the nice flowers. I admit it... I couldn't resist it. I am a sucker for pink/red/yellow/white flowers. Especially this combination you have just sent. mmmm..... Anyway, I wasn't sad. Honestly I was pi..ed off. But when I wrote the reply, I control my anger and worte the way I wrote. it.

Kind Regards
Amirtha

Dear Renuka,

Apology accepted. Thanks for the nice flowers. I admit it... I couldn't resist it. I am a sucker for pink/red/yellow/white flowers. Especially this combination you have just sent. mmmm..... Anyway, I wasn't sad. Honestly I was pi..ed off. But when I wrote the reply, I control my anger and worte the way I wrote. it.

Kind Regards
Amirtha

Dear Amirtha,

Yes it is normal to get pissed off when we are not too happy with something.
For me sometimes I do not really write in anger but I show all sorts of gestures to the lap top screen!LOL

It's a good way to release any pent up emotions.
Anger is all about diversion!
Divert anger and you learn to control lots of things.

I am happy you liked the flowers.
So what else you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back