• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hinduism Vs Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
sir - selective quotation is as bad as misquotation. vedic values are compulsorily applicable only for people of vedhic societies, which no country in the world is. gandharvas were tribes and supernatural persons, who were regarded as husband of apsaras. they were half animal & half human. their 'values' are not at all applicable to bramins.
how to distinguish between a demon & human? in present world there is nothing called 'demons'legally. may be you can call politicians as demons!:usa2: . but even killing them on the basis of scriptural sanction,is a penal offence certainly.

sir - selective quotation is as bad as misquotation. vedic values are compulsorily applicable only for people of vedhic societies, which no country in the world is. gandharvas were tribes and supernatural persons, who were regarded as husband of apsaras. they were half animal & half human. their 'values' are not at all applicable to bramins.
how to distinguish between a demon & human? in present world there is nothing called 'demons'legally. may be you can call politicians as demons!:usa2: . but even killing them on the basis of scriptural sanction,is a penal offence certainly.

Suresh sir,

Gandharva vivaha was mentioned for humans and not for Gandharvas.You very well know this.

I mentioned the demon example because you said killing demons was legalized by scriptures.I said that killing demons is legalized, but killing humans is not legalized in scriptures.

sir - lord rama killed ravana. krishna killed kamsa. ravana & kamsa were both humans, but with demonic attitude. based on this, some 'rationalist' could argue that even in present days, a person can commit a murder, citing scriptural sanction!

2. gandharva marriage is not recognised in brahminism. may be swamyamvaram is recognised.

Praayachitham & Widow Remarriage!

SIR - one significant aspect of braminism is the presence of prrahachitham i.e. repentance. brahminism says even if you have committed major sins, crimes,but if you sincerely repent and make suitable amends, you will be excused with lesser punishment.

the plight of widows is pathetic in all religions. The old testament recognised no inheritance rights for widows, and so their plight was most pathetic in jewish religion.so, widows were the lowest class in ancient israel and widowhood was considered a symbol of great degradation.(ISAIAH:54:4).

what about christianity? as per Genesis 38, a childless widow must marry her husband's brother, even if he is already married! if the brother is very young, then she must wait until he becomes eligible for marriage! 'Then judah said to Onan "Lie with your brother's wife and fulful your duty to her as a brother in law to produce offspring for your brother" Genesis 38.8

apologists say islam is only religion which allows widow remarriage. but if you look closely, you will understand this is not a big deal. in islam, a man is allowed to have 4 wives! so , naturally any man will be ready to marry a widow, because, even then he can ensure that he has 3 more women with him apart from this 1 widow!

whereas in orthodox hinduism,monogamy is the rule always. so, many men hesitate to marry a widow, because, afterall marriage is something which takes place in a hindu man's life only once, and naturally he is not prepared to experiment to show himself as a 'revolutionary' or 'reformist'! in hinduism, even male widowers have restrictions. when hinduism originated, there were no widows or widowers at all. so i do not think sanatana dharma has any specifc codes how widows or widowers are to be treated. these tenets & traits about widows should have come later. most of these tenets restricting widows are applicable mainly for elder widows. but unfortunately, because of wrong inference even widows of young age are subject to same restrictions. if widows take part in orthdox functions, and anything untoward happens, then some sentimental persons could blame these widows. it is mainly because of this that even sages, seers do not see widows, and widows are not generally allowed primacy in orthodox functions ,so that they are not blamed in anyway if anything goes wrong even slightly.

it is for govts. who waste their money on foolish doles to carve out schemes for these hapless widows and handicapped women, so that they are protected. i have heard that in advanced countries, govts. themselves fund schemes exclusively for elder persons. why not , in india, have spl. govt. funding for widows & handicapped so that they do not find themselves out of society?

Last edited:
Child Marriages Among Bramins!

SIR - whilst mentioning about widow remarriages in my previous posting, i forgot to mention about child marriages. it is said child marriage was prevalent among some bramins once upon a time. it should be remembered that, unlike now, the average life expectancy during those years was fairly low,and so early marriages and even child marriages were common among some sections. notice that as life expectancy has increased, bramins have also increased the marriage age. may be it was because of this low life expectancy, hindu males were reluctant to marry widows. afterall, when life is short, you concentrate on enjoying it as far as possible, rather than committing 'revolution' or 'reforms'!

Currently active posters to this thread,

Please consider starting a new thread as the number of pages on this one is getting unwieldy.

To facilitate better moderation we recently decided to cap the maximum number of pages at 20 per thread.

For older postings such as this one we will of course retain all the 86 pages as a single thread but we would like to archive it.

If the discussion continues beyond 20 pages you are very welcome to pick it up in part II or part III of the discussion or even more.

We are doing this because we would like to keep current postings on any issue at the forefront and streamline our archiving activities.

Last edited:
sir - O.K. fine. but while archiving this thread, pls. ensure that it is accessible for members like me, because i have stored addresses of many web sites, links & emails in posting no.1 of this thread!

Done!

Yes. That will be done. Thank you.

Please start a part II of this thread and invite your fellow contributors to join you there.

sir - O.K. fine. but while archiving this thread, pls. ensure that it is accessible for members like me, because i have stored addresses of many web sites, links & emails in posting no.1 of this thread!

Origin of Hinduism

I am a recent member of this website and I have started going through various blogs in this site. The one for which I am submitting this reply is talking about the origin of Hinduism and how it had never been dated. It is very easy to date it if we go through our puranas and the cosmic theories expounded by them. I am submitting the following data to give an idea of how old the present universe is, which is the latest origin (not the original one, it dates back to years that we cannot even count). I hope this will provide some light on the fact why Hinduism is not termed as a religion but as 'Sanatana Dharma', the eternal law of righteousnes.

Life of Universe
71 Chaturyugas x 43,20,000 years for each Chaturyuga
30,67,20,000 Life of each Manu
184,03,20,000 Life of 6 Manus
11,66,40,000 27 Chaturyugas of 7th Manu
38,93,110 28th Chaturyuga till date
12,05,33,110 Present life of Vaivasvatamanu
196,08,53,110 Life of universe from Svayambhuvamanu
50 x 365 x 30,67,20,000 x 14
78,36,696,00,00,000 Life of Brahma for 50 years
78,36,893,73,53,110 Life of Brahma till date

This is as per the calculation details obtained by me from Padma Puranam and several other Puranams. This is only the present Brahma. Even the puranams do not say how many Brahmas had existed previously and how many more will follow. From this, it can be understood how old our Sanatana Dharma is. Regarding this and other subjects on Sanatana Dharma, anybody having any doubt can contact me at [email protected].

Hinduism vs Rest.

Dear sri.Ramanujam,
I am really happy to know that you are knowledgable about sanathana Dharma.
Often I find some members in this forum pointing out deficiencies in DHARMA SHASTRAS,MANUSMRITHI, APASTHAMBA smiriti etc and also about orthodox mutts (whose followers are mainly Brahmins and a few highly placed NB community people.I am a brahmin by birth & now 77 years.Though in marriage invitations we mention the name of KANCHIMUTT, strictlly speaking we seldom visit the mutt or go near the mutt from my Father's time.Whenever I read such postings I feel sad that positive aspects are not highlighted but only negative aspects are prominently highlighted.I am also fully convinced that these postings are made only with good intentions so that reforms can be brought in our religion.
Yesterday I happened to read a discussion about SANKARA's ADVAITHIC PHILOSOPHY-some deficiencies" in a MUSLIM forum of JAMAAT-E-HIND KERALA website after a member of this forum had mentioned about the same
in one thread.I would have been happy if the subject is discussed in A Hindu Forum.IF You open "ZAHEER NAIK"" website you will find that he is discussing about RIG VEDA as if he is an authority and weakening Hindu religion.
Since you are knowledable in Sanathana Dharma I feel you should take active part and highlight positive aspects pf HINDUISM so that laymen like me stand to gain knowledge.
I am also member of "iyer123" website and I found one member Mrs.VISALAKSHI RAMANI a very knowledgable person.I sent a mail to her and requested her to join Tamil Brahmins.com.I am glad to note that she has joined and enriching the forum with her postings.
With Best Wishes,
BK

Last edited:
Dear sri.Ramanujam,
I am really happy to know that you are knowledgable about sanathana Dharma.
Often I find some members in this forum pointing out deficiencies in DHARMA SHASTRAS,MANUSMRITHI, APASTHAMBA smiriti etc and also about orthodox mutts (whose followers are mainly Brahmins and a few highly placed NB community people.I am a brahmin by birth & now 77 years.Though in marriage invitations we mention the name of KANCHIMUTT, strictlly speaking we seldom visit the mutt or go near the mutt from my Father's time.Whenever I read such postings I feel sad that positive aspects are not highlighted but only negative aspects are prominently highlighted.I am also fully convinced that these postings are made only with good intentions so that reforms can be brought in our religion.
Yesterday I happened to read a discussion about SANKARA's ADVAITHIC PHILOSOPHY-some deficiencies" in a MUSLIM forum of JAMAAT-E-HIND KERALA website after a member of this forum had mentioned about the same
in one thread.I would have been happy if the subject is discussed in A Hindu Forum.IF You open "ZAHEER NAIK"" website you will find that he is discussing about RIG VEDA as if he is an authority and weakening Hindu religion.
Since you are knowledable in Sanathana Dharma I feel you should take active part and highlight positive aspects pf HINDUISM so that laymen like me stand to gain knowledge.
I am also member of "iyer123" website and I found one member Mrs.VISALAKSHI RAMANI a very knowledgable person.I sent a mail to her and requested her to join Tamil Brahmins.com.I am glad to note that she has joined and enriching the forum with her postings.
With Best Wishes,
BK
Before I reply one small point for consideration of esteemed members; in post # 858 above (http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/143-hinduism-vs-rest-86.html#post6099) the moderator had advised to start a new thread for further entries. I feel we are bound to obey that.

I will respond later.

Hinduism vs Rest.

Dear Sri. Sangom Sir,
I did not read the posting of the moderator in the first instance.Extremely Sorry.
I do not know how to start a new Part II of this thread.I find there are a number of knowledgable members in this forum but are (I presume) shy to give their opinions/views lest it is criticised by other members.Atleast I got such a feeling after reading the already recorded views in various threads.So I presume that may be the case with other new members who may be knowledgable but cannot express themselves freely.
Regards,

Dear Sri. Sangom Sir,
I did not read the posting of the moderator in the first instance.Extremely Sorry.
I do not know how to start a new Part II of this thread.I find there are a number of knowledgable members in this forum but are (I presume) shy to give their opinions/views lest it is criticised by other members.Atleast I got such a feeling after reading the already recorded views in various threads.So I presume that may be the case with other new members who may be knowledgable but cannot express themselves freely.
Regards,
Shri Krishnamurthy,

Pl.go to

General Discussions

There you will find a button "+Post a new thread". Click that and follow just like posting; but take care to name your new thread as "Hinduism Vs The rest _Part II" so that the search engine does not tell you that there is already a thread with the same name.

Hope you find it easy.

Sir

I just want to add one more link, a very informative one. I like the way they present things. you may like it or not, but you can really enjoy it.
The Rediscovery of India

the dmk cm of t.nadu says he is an atheist. though a hindu(?), he denounces hindiusm totally always. at the same time he praises islam, christianity that too by comparing with hinduism. is it not like praising somebody's mother and abusing your own mother? will educated people ever do that?
it s also being said that hinduism is the only relegion which sanctions untouchability and that is why so called untouchables are given reservation. but they can always convert themselves to other religions - and there are so many religions in india itself- to escape untouchablilty. why reservations? is it not hypocrytic to denounce your own religion but still certify yourselves as 'hindu' just to get quota benefits?
here are some useful websites, links & some e-mail addresses:
Soma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.hinduvoice.co.uk/Issues/9/Veggie.htm
www.nobeliefs.com/spp.htm.
The Arun Shourie Site
To Undo the Scandal, Undo the Control by Arun Shourie
www.bharatvani.org
www.cbfcindia.tn.nic.in
www.indiastar.com.walia19.html
www.samarthbharat.com
[email protected]- e mail address of american presient
[email protected]
Prime Minister's Office- email address of indian prime minister
Srivaishnavam Poonal Yagnjopaveetham Importance
[email protected] - email address of t.nadu chiefminister
[email protected] e mail address of t.nadu governor
[email protected] e mail address of high court of chennai
www.thambraas.com - website of *******
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.chennaionline.com/columns/DownMemoryLane/diary172.asp
Epigrams from Gandhiji : Complete Book Online
Epigrams from Gandhiji : Complete Book Online
Vegan, Head to Toe | | AlterNet
Vegetarian News - Hinduism and Vegetarianism
FAQ | New Harvest - Advancing Meat Substitutes
www.petaindia.com

please do not post rumours.there is a lot of difference between nehru revereing ms subbulakshmi and having an affair.who does not like to meet the charming nightingale ,every one wants to,but only few people can approach her. nehru in his capacity as prime minister,whenever he could meet her he met her.that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back