• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hinduism Vs Rest - Part- Ii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accept the truth

With all respect I am writing this...
"Comparing with Bill Gates" good joke and another big joke is "no person in the world should be given a seat in an educational sphere or in a job just because of his birth" from N.Suresh.

Mr. Suresh you forgot that for centuries Brahmins and so called upper caste people denied education and basic rights to others based on the birth. Now you are talking that Brahmins are suppressed just because "considerable" numbers of deserved Brahmins were not able to enter the top education institution.

I feel that Brahmins are not united for there own cause, they blame and curse on other community for getting quota, instead they should be united and ask for what they deserve.

And many Brahmins still have caste feeling (not only Brahmins) if the caste feelings and hate is still there, how can you ask to stop quota which is based on caste.

Touch your heart and tell the truth, don’t you all still feel that you are supreme and all other caste are "LOW" and they all don't deserver equal rights…… don't you.

Change yourself, server to all in the name of GOD, not to Brahmins alone. Treat and believe every human is equal. You will be given respect which you deserve.

I am not a Brahmin, but I have many friends who are Brahmins, I respect them as they respect me.

sirs- you are yourself saying that not only bramins but even other upper castes were instrumental in denying education & employment to so called lower castes. who are these 'other upper castes'? non bramins like kshattriyas and vaishyas! so even non bramins had a part in oppresing lower castes. so why blame bramins alone?

2. there is nothing wrong in a person having caste feeling in his private domain.

3. even founding fathers of indian constitution awarded caste quotas only for 10 yrs. only for some select castes and only in a few areas. but thanks to politicians and judges, quotas have been enlarged and increased to present absurd levels. but founding fathers of indian constitution did not agree with the theory that percentage of quotas should be higher than merit.

4. bramins do not consider themselves to be superior , but distinct from others.

Last edited:
The Ugly Face Of Rationalism!!!

sirs- it is said the main reason why the 'periar' became a 'rationalist' was because of the fear that if people increasingly become religious. they will perform lot of rituals and ceremonies, because of which bramins priests will make lot of money. so it was sheer jealousy and stomach burning on the part of the 'periar' which seemed to have converted him into a 'rationalist' from being a normal man.

the yellow shawlist, on the excuse that he has completed 50 yrs. as legislator , has released many criminals from jail as a 'goodwill gesture'. in the jail manual itself, there is provision to reduce the punishment of criminals , if they behave properly and show signs that they have repented. when there is no evidence of repentance, releasing criminals could prove harmful for society. but the yellow shawlist seems to be more interested in indulging in absurd 'leelas' on the pretext of celebrating his bogus golden jubilee instead fo concentrating on law and order in the state.
'

Did Nudity Originate From Jainism?

SIRS - we all know that jainism is a religion which emphasis on total nudity even in public. it seems it was the wrong influence of jainism on hinduism, which has led to a section of hindus trying to introduce public nudity in hinduism.

sirs- there is no religion in the world where there is 100% equality. because all religions say their faith is the only way for salvation and any person who follows other religions is an infidel. but of course,they do offer a 'solution' to this problem - conversions! if you convert yourselves, you can escape from the abuses of these religions, and you also become a part of their fold, however immoral you may be.

this is where brahminism differs from others. there is no scope for conversions here. it seems the emergence of jainism and buddhism has prompted bramins to stop conversions. many new converts were indulging in anti bramin practices, allowing the buddhan and mahavira to ridicule braminism. to put an end to this, conversions were permanently banned and they have still not been lifted. the problem is you cannot accept a nonvegetarian as a bramin. so even if one wishes there cannot be any conversion in brahminism.

sirs- there is no religion in the world where there is 100% equality. because all religions say their faith is the only way for salvation and any person who follows other religions is an infidel. but of course,they do offer a 'solution' to this problem - conversions! if you convert yourselves, you can escape from the abuses of these religions, and you also become a part of their fold, however immoral you may be.

this is where brahminism differs from others. there is no scope for conversions here. it seems the emergence of jainism and buddhism has prompted bramins to stop conversions. many new converts were indulging in anti bramin practices, allowing the buddhan and mahavira to ridicule braminism. to put an end to this, conversions were permanently banned and they have still not been lifted. the problem is you cannot accept a nonvegetarian as a bramin. so even if one wishes there cannot be any conversion in brahminism.

Respected Sri Thangaraj,

First of all thank you for declaring that you are not a Brahmin knowing full well that this is a forum for Brahmins (I am assuming you have read our mission statement).

I appreciate your honesty.

Thank you for the points you raised. I will try to answer them one by one. My responses are in maroon italics below.

With all respect I am writing this...
"Comparing with Bill Gates" good joke and another big joke is "no person in the world should be given a seat in an educational sphere or in a job just because of his birth" from N.Suresh.

Mr. Suresh you forgot that for centuries Brahmins and so called upper caste people denied education and basic rights to others based on the birth. Now you are talking that Brahmins are suppressed just because "considerable" numbers of deserved Brahmins were not able to enter the top education institution.

At the outset, I do not deny that there may be some truth in your statement that "Brahmins DENIED other castes the right to an education". But please also consider the following statements and decide for yourself if this statement represents the whole truth.

1. First of all, "upper caste" people as you have mentioned comprised of the "twice-born" castes - Brahmin, Kshatriya and Vaishya - these are the castes technically eligible for wearing the sacred thread. So it baffles me that the term upper caste has become synonymous with Brahmins.

2. Brahmins traditionally were not Rajas (that was the job of Kshatriyas) but were people who worked in all sorts of advisory capacities. (If they had had such ultimate power then all Brahmins should be rich today. That is not the case. There is the entire range, starting from the super-rich entrepreneurs to the super-poor priests). So not all brahmins wound up as advisors to the king, many of them took to other lesser glamorous occupations too. This was the case when India still had kings.

Later different parts of the country were invaded by different kinds of invaders - the Muslims in the North, the French, Dutch in the South and eventually the English. Starting from the middle of the 14 th or 15 th century a good part of northern India was under Muslim rule - which (from my high school history) employed other Muslims as advisors, not Brahmins.

During the British rule, Brahmins were not employed in any decision making capacities because Indians were considered a 'lesser race' incapable of decision-making (remember the 'Dogs and Indians not allowed' signs during colonial India?) In other words, Brahmins were again not in a decision-making capacity. They employed them in civil service jobs which were largely maintenance-oriented work.

They have held other kinds of power such as winning the favor of the king or through scholarly achievements or prowess in arts - but never a collective decision-making power - the ultimate veto always rested with the king/powers that be.

Besides the Brahmins, like now, even then were never united as a community.

So to me, it appears that Brahmins never really controlled the 'fate' of other castes to the extent that it is made out to be.

3. Like I mentioned in another thread, the idea of education itself has undergone a huge change. It is only now, after the British, that education has come to mean a school/college-going kind of a training. Before that all Indian communities had different kinds of vocational training and that was considered education. Thus, a carpenter's son learnt carpentry, a goldsmith's son learnt to work with jewels, a farmer's son learnt to do farming etc. Similarly Brahmins did the job of working with scriptures, being advisors etc. During those times every caste was territorial about their occupation. A blacksmith could not change his profession and become a goldsmith. A carpenter would never be accepted as part of the community of farmers. Potters would not like weavers taking on their job. So the Brahmins were equally territorial about their portfolio.

With such a complicated history I am amazed that anybody can think that the Brahmins consciously devised a scheme to oppress other people. Were the dalits getting a bad end of the deal? Sure! But were Brahmins the only people doing it? The answer is a loud NO. Again was the entire community of Brahmins doing it? The answer is again a loud NO. There are stellar cases of people in the community who have spoken and acted in favor of being just. It is a pity that such examples are not being discussed today.

My answer can get much longer. But I want to express the idea that whatever 'social injustice' existed was not part of some kind of a planned campaign. But the hatred against Brahmins is part of a planned campaign. Today we have a specific case of a single community being singled out for a political purpose. Nobody is interested in considering that there could be another side to the story. This, to me, is a very sad state of affairs.

So the next time you feel like mentioning that 'Brahmins oppressed all other castes', if you feel like pausing a bit, I would have done my job.

I feel that Brahmins are not united for there own cause, they blame and curse on other community for getting quota, instead they should be united and ask for what they deserve.

I agree with you. The Brahmins have always been a very self-critical group of people which is why I think they do well but they are not united for that same reason.

And many Brahmins still have caste feeling (not only Brahmins) if the caste feelings and hate is still there, how can you ask to stop quota which is based on caste.

Good point. But first put yourself in the shoes of a Brahmin student/employee. When you have earned your position (whether through marks or job-related merits) and you know that your friend/colleague did not 'earn' his/her position like the way you did, will you feel like respecting that person? Will you not always feel that you are one cut above? The reservation system is basically telling the other castes that they will never be as good as the Brahmins so the only way for them to get opportunities is if the Brahmins are denied of opportunities. How do you expect Brahmins to respect other castes when they earn every inch of their merit and others don't? Moreover how do you expect hatred to go away when unearned positions are being given to undeserving candidates? Do you expect to see love and respect there?

If ever we have a system where the best person wins, I bet you that there will be a reversal of this feeling.

Bottomline, when you work hard for your life you want to know that others are working at least as hard/or deserve to be there in some way. When people feel that there is no sense of fairness and justice you can't expect to see positive feelings, no?

Touch your heart and tell the truth, don’t you all still feel that you are supreme and all other caste are "LOW" and they all don't deserver equal rights…… don't you.

Please see answer above and let me know if you have more questions.

Change yourself, server to all in the name of GOD, not to Brahmins alone. Treat and believe every human is equal. You will be given respect which you deserve.

There are several of our community members who have done that for generations. Several of us come from a fine, dedicated, service-oriented family tradition. We are living to see that none of those services have been recognized. Only the stupid things that some members did are being highlighted.

I am not a Brahmin, but I have many friends who are Brahmins, I respect them as they respect me.

Well, I am glad you have had a chance to experience some positive things from the community.

Regards,
Chintana

Dear Chintana,
Superb reply. You have expressed the views of the whole brahmins society.
If people who misunderstand us , didn't change their feelings even after reading your reply, it means that they don't want to accept the truth.

Why don't they realize that the quota system and other privileges based on caste system are only utilised for political reasons and they don't serve the people for whom they are really meant. If they blame us by saying that "Brahmins and so called upper caste people denied education and basic rights to others based on the birth", then what are those people doing, who deny all these rights to their own people for the reasons of political benefits, power, corruption, and financial benefits?
Are they opposing them in anyway?
There is a term called "Vidya Garvam" which explains that a man will have Self-Pride if he deserves it. So it is justified if others feel that we consider ourselves supreme. We deserve that. But it doesn't mean that we consider others "Low" in any way.
As we believe that Hinduism is the Harmless religion which doesn't force any one to convert to itself and bears with whatever being done to it, Brahmin community is also like that. We have a lot of patience and bear with whatever oppositions come to us.
I am putting this out of my own experience. I have friends belonging to different castes. I have felt many times that they consider me as different from them while I have tried to be one of them. So it is very difficult to change anybody's mind if it is preset with some misconceptions.
The ultimate aim of survival in this world is Love and Friendship with fellow human beings.
I feel sorry if I am offensive in anyway.

sirs- when modern education originated in india it were the muslims first and then the british who controlled india. so it is they who should be blamed for not doing enough for the non bramins in educational sphere!

I am happy to see a decent nonbrahmin in our association. He has given the other side of views. But Mr.Thangaraj please understand it is not only brahmins discriminated the dalits. So dont always blame brahmins for everything. I accept there were discrimination in early days and even now but their impact is very minor.thats the truth. The brahmins practise a different way of life from most of the non brahmins. Eg is the veggie food. If u have a open mind to think why they behave like that u can understand their way of life for that. First understand how it will be hard to sit and eat with a guy who eats some NV. this is an ex. If u are ready to have a decent debate lets have a forum and i can give u reasons. Can anyone of u tell when will you ppl stop fooling urself and other dalits of discrimation done coz of brahmins. Even now most of the brahmins DOES NOT say dont have reservation. We all ask give reservation to the deserving people not for landlords and wealthy industrialists.

Dear Kothai,

The maroon italics below...

Dear Chintana,
Superb reply. You have expressed the views of the whole brahmins society.

Thank you. I did what I could.

If people who misunderstand us , didn't change their feelings even after reading your reply, it means that they don't want to accept the truth.

I think many people don't have enough information to decide for themselves. They have been told repeatedly, time and again that Brahmins are bad people - it is there in the movies, it is there in political speeches, it is there in the posters that are stuck on public walls. It is a message that has been repeated over the last 50 years and runs deep within the minds of other castes. The politicians wanted to sow the seeds of hatred and they have done their job. That is hard to eradicate if people are not willing to be informed. So I do not expect anybody to change overnight by simply reading my views. If they get motivated then they would be benefitted by cross-checking with other sources and making up their own mind.

Why don't they realize that the quota system and other privileges based on caste system are only utilised for political reasons and they don't serve the people for whom they are really meant.

Because everybody likes a freebie. If someone comes along and tells you that you don't have to work hard for a living - just show up and that will do - you will get your pay check - won't you not like it? If someone, instead of encouraging you to work hard and become better, tries to tell you that the problem is not your limitations but somebody else's smartness, won't you like that person? Why would you want to change when you life is suddenly made so easy and there is a convenient community of people that you can blame for all your problems? You tend to get happy and vote for the people who keep you happy.

If they blame us by saying that "Brahmins and so called upper caste people denied education and basic rights to others based on the birth", then what are those people doing, who deny all these rights to their own people for the reasons of political benefits, power, corruption, and financial benefits?
Are they opposing them in anyway?

No. But according to current political philosophy that is ok because that is discrimination practiced by non-Brahmins. As long as it is not Brahmins who are discriminating everything is ok. Non-Brahmins are free to practice all kinds of discrimination.

There is a term called "Vidya Garvam" which explains that a man will have Self-Pride if he deserves it. So it is justified if others feel that we consider ourselves supreme. We deserve that. But it doesn't mean that we consider others "Low" in any way.

I think what you are trying to say that it is natural to have pride in one's work abilities and achievements. I think that is a good message. But please avoid words like 'garvam' because that is a loaded word. I, for one, am not interested in encouraging a superiority complex in this forum. I know you didn't mean it that way but not everybody will read that word the same way.

As we believe that Hinduism is the Harmless religion which doesn't force any one to convert to itself and bears with whatever being done to it, Brahmin community is also like that. We have a lot of patience and bear with whatever oppositions come to us.

Brahmin community has NO excuse for remaining quiet for so long. This is a 50 year damage which will take a lot of effort to undo, if ever it can be done. Brahmins didn't have the good sense to come together and put up a united front. That was and is a big failing in the community. Hopefully by giving a chance to talk out ideas, this forum will help deal with some of those issues.

I am putting this out of my own experience. I have friends belonging to different castes. I have felt many times that they consider me as different from them while I have tried to be one of them. So it is very difficult to change anybody's mind if it is preset with some misconceptions.

I am sure you are not alone in this. Politicians have succeeded in creating a lot of mistrust amongst the various communities in the country. So I am not surprised. This is indeed a sad state of affairs.

The ultimate aim of survival in this world is Love and Friendship with fellow human beings.

A message that politicians will not like to hear. So it is obviously a good one.

I feel sorry if I am offensive in anyway.

Regards,
Chintana

sirs- whereas bramins have always been clubbed with kshatriyas & vaishyas as a group, 'rationalists' have brainwashed people into believing that bramins are a single group and all non bramins are another group. thus upper castes like kshatriyas and vaishyas who were also instrumental in oppressing the lower castes, have now suddenly become 'oppressed' themselves and are garnering many govt. benefits out of tax payers money on the pretext that they are 'non bramins' and so are 'backward'!

even the scriptures mention that 3 castes- bramins, kshatriyas & vaishyas are twice born and are qualified to sport the sacred thread. these 3 varnas also converted to each other. thus apart from the so called 'shudras' all other castes, are , for all purposes upper castes only, though politicians and judges have converted all non bramins as 'oppressed'!

Last edited:
sirs - the irony here is that even among bramins there are 2 major divisions- saivism and vaishnavism, with both denominations having different gods and different books, unlike in religions like islam and christianity where there is only 1 common god and 1 common book for all the sects. so when there are differences even among bramins, it is totally absurd as 'rationalists' are saying that all bramins are one group and all non bramins belong to rival group.

bramins are the only people who continue to sport sacred thread to this date. although other castes were also allowed to wear poonool, the main reason why the thread of bramins alone is considered sacred is not because bramins are superior, but because bramins were priestly class, and so the divinity associated with the thread of bramins is not there in thread of other castes and so this is probably why the other castes did not show much interest in sporting them, and gradually we have now reached a stage where sacred thread is associated with bramins alone.

Last edited:
Non Brahmins and Brahmins

Dear Sowbhagyavathi Chintana Ji, Sri Kothai Ji and Sri Chanakya Ji,

While I agree with your sentiments, I can not agree that we are not entirely blameless. This is because, our role in the past society was unique: we lived for the welfare of the entire society. This meant that we were the teachers (we taught the Kshatriyas how to fight; we taught Vaishyas the rules of the trades and ofcourse we taught the Sudhras how to herd cattle.) A brahmin was entrusted with the knowledge of the trades, but was forbidden to practice, and only to teach.

When the British came, we as a group started to practice. This is the MAIN divide. Did other 'Varnas' abrogate their responsibilities also? Yes, sure they did. But unfortunately, we as Brahmins carry the most burden.

If I am offending any one's sensibilities with this posting, I am issuing a blanket apology.

Pranams,
KRS

Sorry, if I sounded wrong

Dear Chintana,
I am sorry for using that word but I didn't encourage superiority complex. I wanted to say that people having talents and skills in any field, deserve to have pride whatever group they belong to.
As someone has said, most of the people think that Hindu religion is divided into two viz., Brahmins and Non-brahmins. This conception should be changed first. What happened before decades is in no way going to affect the current and the future. We don't fight with any English man for what his forefathers had done in India. We don't hate any Muslim for what some of the Muslim rulers had done in our country.
Similarly, we should not be blamed or affected for what our ancestors did.
We are also citizens of India and have equal rights in everything. In our community also, there are many poor students having high marks but not able to pursue their education; poor youngsters in need of employment to feed their family thanks to the quota system based on caste. According to our constitution no Indian citizen should be deprived of his rights.
If this situation continues, then the days are not far off when Brahmins will be given quota benefits and others will be opposing that.

Thank you, Sri KRS.

Your statement may have been the case when all Brahmins were 'enlightened beings'. This must have been during Vedic or pre-vedic times.

But as time rolled on, when they lost their sense of enlightenment they became good only at a few things, not everything.

If they had retained their spiritual strength India would never have been invaded in the first place.

As a corollary, if they had retained their spiritual strength, social injustice would never have been practiced by them.

Bottomline, the Brahminical ways had dwindled into a vocation, like the occupations of the rest of the castes.

The invasions had reduced their influence and power to a considerable extent.

I don't think any of us in this thread are saying that Brahmins are blameless.

I was saying that they were not the only propagators of discrimination. But today they are being singled out as people to be blamed.

This is neither helping the past, the present, nor will it help the future (borrowing Kothai's idea).

While I agree with your sentiments, I can not agree that we are not entirely blameless. This is because, our role in the past society was unique: we lived for the welfare of the entire society. This meant that we were the teachers (we taught the Kshatriyas how to fight; we taught Vaishyas the rules of the trades and ofcourse we taught the Sudhras how to herd cattle.) A brahmin was entrusted with the knowledge of the trades, but was forbidden to practice, and only to teach.

When the British came, we as a group started to practice. This is the MAIN divide. Did other 'Varnas' abrogate their responsibilities also? Yes, sure they did. But unfortunately, we as Brahmins carry the most burden.

If I am offending any one's sensibilities with this posting, I am issuing a blanket apology.

Pranams,
KRS

A few more points to this posting.

To this, I responded in my previous posting.

When the British came, we as a group started to practice.

We didn't "start" to practice. We were made slaves and made to work. We were not in a decision-making position, exactly.

Why did we get to this sorry state of affairs? We had lost much spiritual strength.

But today's question is, what do we do now? How do we move forward from here?

I believe that the purpose of anyone's life is to learn from life's experiences so that we may apply the lessons to develop strong selves and strong communities. In this regard, no one group gets to "punish" another group. In other words, no one gets to play God. The politicians today are trying to play God.

This is the MAIN divide. Did other 'Varnas' abrogate their responsibilities also? Yes, sure they did. But unfortunately, we as Brahmins carry the most burden.

That does not mean that other castes do not carry any blame at all. We each pull our share.

I think today's Brahmins really feel bad about the discrimination that some members practiced.

But I have not encountered any of the non-Brahmins feeling guilty about practicing discrimination. Why not try to get a Saiva Pillai to eat with a Vanniyar or a dalit in his/her house? Why is it an issue only when Brahmins don't eat with others?

I think it reflects a deep sense of goodness to admit one's faults and feel guilty. This is reflected in your post. Guilt is great for self-improvement. But we need to encourage and build morale within our community to help them continue to do the good things they have done and help them shed the bad things they were/are being riled for - for that guilt is not going to be of much use.

If I may, I'd like to hazard a guess here (at the risk of being presumptuous; do correct me if I am wrong). I think you are in a different stage in life than most of us who responded to Mr. Thangaraj's post.

You seem interested in exploring questions of identity, deepening your understanding and finding ways of resolving personal confusions.

You also seem to have been either untouched by the travails of the reservation policy (or that it is too distant in your memory). It may not be so, but still addressing some of the Brahminical issues in the context of reservation does not seem like it is your immediate priority.

The primary category of respondents to this point are/have been those directly affected by the reservation policy. This is also a group that is tired of the hypocritical approach to treating Brahmins.

Brahmins sure made some mistakes. But the people pointing out those mistakes are not exactly Gods themselves. They have obtained the force of Gods because they have managed to find fault with an apparently perfect community.

Fact of the matter remains that Brahmins as a group of citizens in a democratic society need to be protected, irrespective of what people believe was done in the past.

Pranams,
KRS

Regards,
Chintana

Last edited:
sirs- i do not think bramins as a group are to be blamed for anything. the only problem with brahmnism is unlike in other religions, there is no scope for conversions here. had there been the possibility of conversions 2 things would have happened.

1. many so called 'untouchables' would have converted to brahminsim!

2. the population of bramins, mainly because of these conversions , would be very..very..high making them an extremely powerful vote bank and politicians would be dancing to the tunes of bramins like anything!

but here again is another problem. bramins do not accept non vegetarians into their fold and rightly so. because of this even a bramin if he consumes meat is considered an infidel. so how to admit non bramins, if they refuse to become vegetarians.? so there is no possibility of conversion from other faith unless and until the converts agree to be vegetarians. but this has never been possible and will never be particularly in india because becoming a bramin means forfeiting many govt. doles like quotas etc., so bramins will always have to be minority in all parts of the world. so it is the duty of god to safeguard bramins.

What is the future of Brahmins?

After a lot of remorse for the so-called mistake-"discrimination done by our predecessors", now it's time to think how our community's future is going to be? The financially sound people can compete with Non-brahmins and ensure that their children get settled. Very high-scoring students can also achieve whatever they want.
But what about the rest?
Is the country not losing their services and skills?

Last edited:
Spot on !

Pranams,
KRS

KRS Sir,

You have indeed 'offended' the morbidities of many. For this precise reason, i strongly feel you SHOULDN'T apologise.

The KKKs want to ever keep the non-brahmin community under the wrap of 'brahmin oppression' without letting them know about their imperfections.

Surely the prevailing disparities among the social groups cannot be the creation of any one community. Ofcourse Brahmins have erred and i feel they have been flogged enough.

It is time the talkers did the walk & demonstrate how the social groups can be taken forward instead of expecting 3% of the population to pull through the weight of the majority.

Need to have alternatives

The financially sound people can compete with Non-brahmins and ensure that their children get settled. Very high-scoring students can also achieve whatever they want.
But what about the rest?
Is the country not losing their services and skills?

Ms Kothai,

No one believes in "Also rans". I may be sounding harsh but today if one neither has the "moolai or the moolah" is doomed unless the individual is pragmatic enough to think alternatives.

Firstly we have to understand the 'operating environment' for brahmins which according to me are :

a) Quotas are here to stay
b) Dont expect any Govt help
c) In an increasingly globalized world, local merit levels aren't enough
d) Govt jobs....what's that ?

On the positive side,

a) Education is not be all & end all for success in life
b) Private Sector cares 2 hoots about who you are if they are happy with
what you are capable of

Alternatives that should be considered are :

a) Olympic Sports - For a nation of 1000 million, we struggle to get 1 medal. And thankfully even for a brahmin the startline is the same that of the OBC !

b) Army. We need to invest in developing able bodies. Protein supplements, exercise are a must. We shouldn't just be contend with 'Vatha Kozhambu & Shutta Appalam'

c) Non compete areas do exist - CA, CWA, ACS, Computer coaching centers

d) Vocational Training - No job is menial

e) Invest in developing communication skills

f) Lastly & most importantly Self Belief & Can-do-it attitude. Avoid self-pity & sulking.

Dear Sowbhagyavathi Chintana Ji,

I am replying to your last post above.

1. This is not about me. This is about our community. Whenever as a community we look at our situation, we need to understand why we are where we are. To do this one must have an impassioned approach to looking back. I only responded when Sri Thangaraj's questions were answered only partially.

2. The quota system affected me directly - I came abroad mainly because of it. Several members of my immediate family were affected by it, be it by the denial of admissions or promotions. But as someone has posted some time ago in this forum the quota system was conceived initially for a good purpose. But it is now being mis used. So it must go and I totally agree with all of your views on it.

3. I still think that in life, we as Brahmins have a special mission. We should be at the front of leading an effort that will unite and bring ALL the people together. If we do not, while we may do well in the Private sector, other people will always be flogging us.

4. I fully agree with Sri Hariharan's posting above.

My identity crisis, if any, I hope stays with me. I hope I have not used this Forum to clear up any of my doubts (if I have them).

Pranams,
KRS

Dear Sri KRS,

Dear Sowbhagyavathi Chintana Ji,

I am replying to your last post above.

1. This is not about me. This is about our community. Whenever as a community we look at our situation, we need to understand why we are where we are.

With regard to reservation issue I think we pretty much get it.

To do this one must have an impassioned approach to looking back.

I am tired of guilt for it has not helped me beyond a point, to grow.

I only responded when Sri Thangaraj's questions were answered only partially.

Which ones?

2. The quota system affected me directly - I came abroad mainly because of it. Several members of my immediate family were affected by it, be it by the denial of admissions or promotions.

Thank you. I stand corrected.

But as someone has posted some time ago in this forum the quota system was conceived initially for a good purpose. But it is now being mis used. So it must go and I totally agree with all of your views on it.

3. I still think that in life, we as Brahmins have a special mission. We should be at the front of leading an effort that will unite and bring ALL the people together. If we do not, while we may do well in the Private sector, other people will always be flogging us.

I think it is time we tell others that they should pull their own weight. Nobody can take on anybody else's karma. At the most we can try to be the good examples that we used to be at one point in time. But this time around we should add a caveat - 'strive to be like us, but at your own risk' - meaning we should be clear about letting others take charge for who they are.

4. I fully agree with Sri Hariharan's posting above.

My identity crisis, if any, I hope stays with me. I hope I have not used this Forum to clear up any of my doubts (if I have them).

You can and should use this forum for resolving identity questions. But Mr. Thangaraj was explicitly advising us to be the 'respected people that we ought to be' and that 'others will show us respect automatically' (I am paraphrasing here). His comment, I thought, did not take into account the good work done by so many Brahmins already.

You were saying that Brahmins are to blame. That is not a new argument; in my view it is not even representative of the whole picture. Because it does not take into account the good actions that some members and families did in the past and continue to do in the present. Besides, as I have laid out in my other posts blaming Brahmins should not mean others go scott free.

I think Mr. Thangaraj has had more than enough number of answers to his set of few questions. I'm eager to see his response.

Pranams,
KRS

Bramin Vs Bramin!

SIRS - even among bramins, saiva bramins and vaishnava bramins do not see eye to eye on many issues and also allow only their respective sects, customs, rituals, practices in their own temples. does that mean bramins are practicing untouchability against each other?

Dear Hari,

Very clearly expressed. Let me also add a few virtues and options.

Virtues include innate ability to prune down expediture to bare minimum levels when faced with adverse situation, congenital habit of thrift, conflict avoidance behaviour etc.

Options include running private coaching classes (afterall, teaching is in our blood !), offering astrological services, palmistry, vaastu, ayurveda etc to new generation (there is no dearth of people who still beleive in such things) etc.

And finally, beleive it or not, brahmins could become the harbinger of new flawlwss edition of Hinduism - Millenium Edn. This would require considerable mental strength to abandon previously stated positions and start preaching equality of all, downplay casteist literature and prop up or concoct new stories of great kings from reserved groups and what not. Who else can beat brams in this game ?

Ms Kothai,

No one believes in "Also rans". I may be sounding harsh but today if one neither has the "moolai or the moolah" is doomed unless the individual is pragmatic enough to think alternatives.

Firstly we have to understand the 'operating environment' for brahmins which according to me are :

a) Quotas are here to stay
b) Dont expect any Govt help
c) In an increasingly globalized world, local merit levels aren't enough
d) Govt jobs....what's that ?

On the positive side,

a) Education is not be all & end all for success in life
b) Private Sector cares 2 hoots about who you are if they are happy with
what you are capable of

Alternatives that should be considered are :

a) Olympic Sports - For a nation of 1000 million, we struggle to get 1 medal. And thankfully even for a brahmin the startline is the same that of the OBC !

b) Army. We need to invest in developing able bodies. Protein supplements, exercise are a must. We shouldn't just be contend with 'Vatha Kozhambu & Shutta Appalam'

c) Non compete areas do exist - CA, CWA, ACS, Computer coaching centers

d) Vocational Training - No job is menial

e) Invest in developing communication skills

f) Lastly & most importantly Self Belief & Can-do-it attitude. Avoid self-pity & sulking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back