• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Experiences which I would like to share

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God, of hallowed Christian legend,had several children, both boys and girls, after giving birth to Jesus the Christ, as the sacred Gospels themselves attest. Did she lose her chastity thereby? Why is she still called Virgin by Christian worshippers?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Please read
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginity
Like chastity, the concept of virginity has traditionally involved sexual abstinence.

Just because someone proclaims that it was a Virgin Birth, and you accept that concept,
I have a bridge for sale in Brooklin for you.

The old joke has it that some gullible person might be willing to buy the famed Brooklyn Bridge which, as we all know, could never be put on the block.

No mammalian species is capable of giving birth without a father.
So what stands in the way? First, a mammal’s egg cell usually won’t divide until it receives a signal from the sperm. Second, most mammalian eggs have only half the number of chromosomes necessary for development. If there isn’t any sperm, the embryo will end up with only half the DNA it needs to survive.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/fyi-could-virgin-birth-ever-happen

Last edited:
Please read
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginity
Like chastity, the concept of virginity has traditionally involved sexual abstinence.

Just because someone proclaims that it was a Virgin Birth, and you accept that concept,

The old joke has it that some gullible person might be willing to buy the famed Brooklyn Bridge which, as we all know, could never be put on the block.

No mammalian species is capable of giving birth without a father.
So what stands in the way? First, a mammal’s egg cell usually won’t divide until it receives a signal from the sperm. Second, most mammalian eggs have only half the number of chromosomes necessary for development. If there isn’t any sperm, the embryo will end up with only half the DNA it needs to survive.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/fyi-could-virgin-birth-ever-happen

Cloning does not need father..it just needs a DNA and even mother is actually not needed but an enucleated Ova is used to sustain the DNA and a uterus to carry it.

Cloning does not need father..it just needs a DNA and even mother is actually not needed but an enucleated Ova is used to sustain the DNA and a uterus to carry it.

Are you saying that a Virgin Gave birth little over 2000 years ago. Did Kunti give birth and she was still a virgin?
I think cloning is a recent phenomenon.

St Joseph's college
Intermediate examination (continued)
Many students who came prepared for that paper felt thrilled , started writing the answers and completed the paper well before time and submitted the answer papers to the staff. But people like us who didn't prepare for those questions were in deep trouble not knowing what to do but since there was no other go, answered them to the extent possible, because we had purposefully avoided preparing for those questions. Thus definitely we were at a disadvantage compared to those who came prepared for the leaked questions.

When we came out of the hall and contacted our teachers, they said they did not have any idea about leakage or re-exam. But they said that there might be strict valuation which again meant that we, who didn't prepare for the leaked questions, were bound to suffer.

That evening when I reached the hostel, the area was rife with rumour that all the papers in all subjects had leaked and as a first installment, a copy of the paper in physics which exam was due the next day, was circulated among students for copying, since photocopying was unknown in those days.

"To prepare or not to prepare for the leaked questions" was my dilemma, confused as I was because of what happened that afternoon. With a highly tense, disturbed and befuddled mind, I prepared for my Physics exam due next morning. When I received that question paper, not even a single question that appeared in the fake paper was there in the genuine question paper and the questions were not in a standard format but were totally different. Similarly all the other genuine exam papers in Chemistry and Mathematics were also very different from what was circulated as leaked papers. The mathematics paper was particularly tough and many of us who were scoring centum in Maths in all class exams were very much disappointed. The standard symbols were not used and this added further confusion to most of us.

I broke down because of this confusion and consequent disappointment and like me, there were many others too. We all met our Warden of our hostel, who was also the Principal of the college and told him of our problem. As I was one of his favourites, I told him that I had fared badly in the exam and my Maths honours dream had crumbled. He consoled me saying that he knew my performance in all the class exams and assured me that I would be given a seat in Maths honours even if I didn't get centum in Maths.
After these exams were over, we got the information that re-exam will be held for English paper. In the melee, some of my class notes in English was missing and I was not able to locate them.

Normally we had a week's time available for our Sanskrit exam and I had earmarked that full week for that subject, mainly hoping on the availability of one full week for preparation for that exam. Now the English re-exam had come in between upsetting my calculations. Thus the entire intermediate exam became a fiasco causing extreme disappoint to me and to most of us.

When the results came, I got a first class no doubt, but with a much less aggregate that was very discouraging and depressing. However our principal kept up his word and I was given seat in Maths honours, a course which I wanted to pursue, but … This is a big but….. ( examn over)

Honours course I suppose was prestigious and challenging - Admission on merit. Pass mark is 50 percent Have to pass in single attempt Could withdraw if not prepared well once - can take the exam subsequently If you score less than 50 percent will be be recommended for BA - Honours is equivalent to MA - Gathered from my cousin who is B.Sc (Hon) Physics - correct?

Madam,
The incident of the teacher dancing in the class that you have narrated is even more hilarious. LOL

Last edited:
Madam Janakiji,
what your cousin has said is absolutely correct. For mathematics, the degree then was B.A (Honours) . For physics and chemistry, it was B.Sc ( Honours)

In delhi university, We have Honours courses in all subjects.

It is a three year program with first two years for three subject -one main and two subsidiaries. the final year only the main subject.

For example one could study BSc[Hons] in maths with physics and chemistry as subsidiaries or BA [Hons] Maths with economics, political science as subsidiaries/.

I did a BSc[Hons] Maths with physics and chemistry before going for engg after graduation.

In colleges [which is after higher secondary !0 plus 2 now,11 years when we studied in fifties ] there are no languages as a compulsory subject. However one could join

english [hons] or hindi [hons] with other subsidiaries in arts stream.Science/maths students went thru a mandatory course on 'History of science' for first year.Commerce

students either opted for BCOM or ordinary BA with commerce as a subject.Normal BA was supposed to be for most not good at academics . Girls joined to have a degree

for marriage purposes. Boys joined BA only to participate in extra curricular activities [ cricket, student politics]and later joined Law later to become politicians .{ now some

of them are/were in union cabinet} or high court/ supreme court lawyers Lol

Those who wanted to crack IAS ,opted for economics[hons] with history, english subsidiary[history is a scoring subject in IAS exam] and later joined law to get ample

time for IAS preparation.Attendance was not mandatory for LAW course and in any case proxy was maximum there.Also those who did not know what to do with

themselves joined the law course. Most professors there were afraid of students there

and would not take on the law students .Our country has been led by many who were alumni of the law faculty.

Last edited:
Those intentionally blind (or blinded by their own ego as know-alls), but ignorant of elementary truths that wedded wives do not lose their chaste status by celebrating (performing) samskaaram of garbhaa-daanam, flog imaginary "Brooklyn bridges" and "London Tower Bridges" and even "Rama Sethus" to their fellow-blind. And do so in public.

Such blindness (of intellect) also drives them to interpret my words -

"Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God, of hallowed Christian legend, had several children, both boys and girls, after giving birth to Jesus the Christ, as the sacred Gospels themselves attest. Did she lose her chastity thereby? Why is she still called Virgin by Christian worshippers?"

as evidencing my being one of the "Christian worshippers" who has "accepted that concept". He is blind to my crucial words "Christian legend".

For my critic's information, Jews (who were there before Christ) and Muslims (who came after Christ) emphatically reject the notions of Immaculate Conception and virgin birth - and of Bodily Assumption to Heaven of Mary. (A few Christian cults also do so.) These communities belong to "The Book" as other Semitic peoples do.

Of course, Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs also reject the same notions. (Some politically-correct ones, e.g. married to "believing Christians" or having such a parent, might not.)

What is noteworthy is that my critic seems to be not even aware of the difference between virginity and chastity. Nor, indeed, the essential differences between concepts of chastity in Puranic times and today. Hence his crass question:-

"Did she (Sage Jamadagni's pathni Renuka) not have children? Wasn't chastity lost for the that?"

Sir, she lost her VIRGINITY. She did not lose her CHASTITY by intercourse with her husband within the sacred bounds and bonds of Vivaaham.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

How humorous?

For the same act ,if done with husband it is loss of virginity and if done with anyone else it is loss of chastity.

Associating words like sacred with an act which is physical to justify it with one and condemning with another can at best be a lawyers argument in courts.

No sense in calling a physical act holy or unholy and try to justify.

This act is done by all species, animals , birds and the beasts .

Only some act holy.

It is the joke of the day

Dear Sri Krish44

Certainly appreciate your non-Brahminical point of view.

Please try to understand, if you can (though you said you were only accidentally by birth a Brahmin) that a samskaaram according to our shaasthrams is a sacred act. Garbha-daanam is a samskaaram, much as upanayanam and vivaaham. Without that sacramental celebration, it is mere animal mating.

For your information, every Brahmachaari, on completing his Vedic studies -- after having undergone the samskaaram of Upanayanam -- performs another samskaaram. That involves an immersion bath, a solemn triple-ablution, usually in flowing river-water. Here again, what is significant is the sanctity of the religious ritual. The bath, without that, would be just an ordinary body-dipping in water.

Shall not touch on pumsavanam-seemanthoneeyam. Won't make much sense to you.

(Sorry, but somehow feel you won't let your son perform apara-kriyas such as prethaagni santhaanam and pithru-metha samskaaram when you are dead, either. But will let your corpse be buried like any dead animal.)

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Iyer ji

You are cent percent correct.

On death , the heart stops beating and it is just a corpse , nothing more.

Talking of soul , rebirth and soul joining absolute sole are all only beliefs ,nothing more.

If it gives satisfaction to you , fine.

I would like to be cremated in an electric crematorium without any rituals if possible.

I think that is most scientific thing to do.

Dear Sri Krish44

Please try to understand, if you can (though you said you were only accidentally by birth a Brahmin) that a samskaaram according to our shaasthrams is a sacred act. Garbha-daanam is a samskaaram, much as upanayanam and vivaaham. Without that sacramental celebration, it is mere animal mating.

For your information, every Brahmachaari, on completing his Vedic studies -- after having undergone the samskaaram of Upanayanam -- performs another samskaaram. That involves an immersion bath, a solemn triple-ablution, usually in flowing river-water. Here again, what is significant is the sanctity of the religious ritual. The bath, without that, would be just an ordinary body-dipping in water.

(Sorry, but somehow feel you won't let your son perform apara-kriyas such as prethaagni santhaanam and pithru-metha samskaaram when you are dead, either. But will let your corpse be buried like any dead animal.)

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

I dont see the logic in calling a different personal view as Non Brahmanical.
Individuals do differ in understanding.

For the matter even twins do not think alike.
Eventually rational thinking kicks in as we age.

BTW there is nothing sacred about 2 humans mating.
Its just basic instinct.
Animal or human..the only difference is animals have no lust.

Last edited:
Iyer ji

You are cent percent correct.

On death , the heart stops beating and it is just a corpse , nothing more.

Talking of soul , rebirth and soul joining absolute sole are all only beliefs ,nothing more.

If it gives satisfaction to you , fine.

I would like to be cremated in an electric crematorium without any rituals if possible.

I think that is most scientific thing to do.

Only a realized person has no attachment to the body or after life.
They do not desire any karyams too.

Ayushman Bhava..seldom find people like you.

Krishji and Renukaji,

Reference post #63,65,66 and 67:

While I have decided to keep away from the forum for some time, I thought I would post these and then take leave.

1. While samskaarams mentioned in the sacred texts have their own logic which are at a higher plane, they stand the test of rationality too. It is not as if whatever is said in these texts are totally irrational. Why they are ulltimate truths is to be understood by studying these texts and a bit of epistemology--the science of understanding the thinking process. For these there are good texts available. For those who have an aversion to read these ancient sanskrit texts there are other texts by later authors like Immanuel Kant ( A German Philosopher). His master piece "Critique of Pure Reasoning" is a good source for Krishji. These books teach us the technique of analysing our thought processes. Equivalent Indian works are many and the important point is that the Indian Authors preceded Kant by centuries.

2. While I do not want to go into the samskaram called Garbaadhaanam, I can say this about the final ritual of cremation:

When a son burns the Body of his parents he does a yajnam in fact, using the body as the havish. And it has a lot of meaning. It is done by the son for the good of himself as well as for the good of the departed soul. So if someone has no time or inclination to make efforts to understand the significance of our rituals the loss is not for others. It is for him. There is no need to come here and make a declaration with bravado that he is going against the instructions in the sacred texts. If he is so altruistic he can go one step further and take a boat into the deep seas say goodbye and jump into the waters. He will atleast become the delicious dinner item for the fishes in the water. Instead of getting evaporated by the heat of red hot tungsten/ Titanium coils inside the constricted volume of a metal cylinder, that will be a better way to disappear. I hope krishji writes out a will and get his body dumped in the mid sea. And he can get the standing ovation from Renukaji here. LOL.

3. And about the finality of knowledge that is available in vedas, I would like to add just this:

When someone is unable to accept something said in the vedas because he is in the present times and is using his intellect to look for answers to his questions in a language that he understands, he can accept the vedas as ultimate for the simple reason that there are several passages that tell things which are found to be true in many other walks of life even by applying todays knowledge and language. So if what is said in one chapter in a volume is true, what is said in other chapters also should be true. Simple logic understandable by the equipment of everyone.

Only our equipments are inadequate as we are hanging from a particular link in the long chain called time and space. Period.

Last edited:
Krishji and Renukaji,

Reference post #63,65,66 and 67:

While I have decided to keep away from the forum for some time, I thought I would post these and then take leave.

1. While samskaarams mentioned in the sacred texts have their own logic which are at a higher plane, they stand the test of rationality too. It is not as if whatever is said in these texts are totally irrational. Why they are ulltimate truths is to be understood by studying these texts and a bit of epistemology--the science of understanding the thinking process. For these there are good texts available. For those who have an aversion to read these ancient sanskrit texts there are other texts by later authors like Immanuel Kant ( A German Philosopher). His master piece "Critique of Pure Reasoning" is a good source for Krishji. These books teach us the technique of analysing our thought processes. Equivalent Indian works are many and the important point is that the Indian Authors preceded Kant by centuries.

2. While I do not want to go into the samskaram called Garbaadhaanam, I can say this about the final ritual of cremation:

When a son burns the Body of his parents he does a yajnam in fact, using the body as the havish. And it has a lot of meaning. It is done by the son for the good of himself as well as for the good of the departed soul. So if someone has no time or inclination to make efforts to understand the significance of our rituals the loss is not for others. It is for him. There is no need to come here and make a declaration with bravado that he is going against the instructions in the sacred texts. If he is so altruistic he can go one step further and take a boat into the deep seas say goodbye and jump into the waters. He will atleast become the delicious dinner item for the fishes in the water. Instead of getting evaporated by the heat of red hot tungsten/ Titanium coils inside the constricted volume of a metal cylinder, that will be a better way to disappear. I hope krishji writes out a will and get his body dumped in the mid sea. And he can get the standing ovation from Renukaji here. LOL.

3. And about the finality of knowledge that is available in vedas, I would like to add just this:

When someone is unable to accept something said in the vedas because he is in the present times and is using his intellect to look for answers to his questions in a language that he understands, he can accept the vedas as ultimate for the simple reason that there are several passages that tell things which are found to be true in many other walks of life even by applying todays knowledge and language. So if what is said in one chapter in a volume is true, what is said in other chapters also should be true. Simple logic understandable by the equipment of everyone.

Only our equipments are inadequate as we are hanging from a particular link in the long chain called time and space. Period.

We came..We Saw..We imagined we conquered.

A quote attributed to Mao Zedong:

Mix a little bit of lie with a mostly true statement, and then keep repeating it, the lie is accepted as true. That is how propaganda is done.

No one tries to pass an entire lie as true.

“Lies are a little fortress; inside them you feel safe and powerful. Through your little fortress of lies you try to run your life and manipulate others. But the fortress needs walls, so you build some. These are justifications for your lies.”
William Paul Young, The Shack

After intermediate examination
My engineering college interview: part 1:

After completing my intermediate at St Joseph's college, Thiruchy in April 1952, I was pursuing my Mathematics Honours in the same college. At this point I stopped with a big" but". Man proposes but God disposes. Yes. Even though I didn't have an inclination for engineering, peer pressure and my parents and other relatives forced me to apply for engineering, since engineering was considered a STATUS SYMBOL then in the fifties.

During that year, because of the delay in the formation of the State Ministry, in view of congress party not getting an absolute majority to form the State Government by itself, the engineering interview was delayed till the end of July. The State was then a composite Madras state ( known as Madras presidency earlier), comprising the whole of what is now known as Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala , Karnataka and a part of Orissa minus the then princely States such as Pudukottai, Hyderabad, Mysore etc. In this vast presidency, there were only FOUR Government Engineering Colleges and less than a handful of private engineering colleges, unlike today where we have about 525 engineering colleges in Tamilnadu alone!

Similar to the present day reservation, there was a communal G.O restricting admission to forward class, PROVIDING PROPORTIONATE RESERVATION in which the so called forward among the forward classes will get a raw deal( in proportion to the total population). There was a fight going on then to retain the G.O. My village Ariyalur being a strong hold of Dravida Kazhagam (DK), the DK enthusiasts used to scribble on walls particularly in Agraharams that they want கம்பூணூல் G.O to be retained, mistaking communal to கம்பூணூல் which they thought had something to do with ' Poonool'. Admission in Engineering was very tough for FCs and particularly for Brahmins in view of their very small percentage (3%) of the total State population, but somehow forced by peer, parents and relatives pressure, I applied for engineering, even though I didn't have an iota of inclination ( leave alone chances) for it.

I was cocksure that I won't get admission in engineering and so I thought that merely applying for engineering just to satisfy my parents and friends is no harm.
When I was called for interview in July, I decided to appear for interview not because of the peer pressure or parental pressure building on me, but because of a LURKING DESIRE IN ME to use this opportunity to SEE MADRAS (now Chennai) which I had not seen till then and which was one of my fantasylands.
So I met Fr Ehrahrt (I am not sure of the spelling ) who was then the Principal of the college (and incidentally the warden of Clive's Hostel too in which I was staying as a hosteller) and asked him for three days leave. He became so red -faced that he started shouting at me saying that it was not fair on my part to try to go for engineering after getting admission in the college in the prestigious Mathematics Honours course and so he said that he won't give me leave to attend the interview. I was one of his favourites in the hostel and I pleaded with him saying that since my parents want me to appear for the interview, I want to go to Madras assuring him at the same time that I WON'T JOIN ENGINEERING EVEN IF OFFERED, a promise which I had to break later.

Even though not convinced, at last he gave me permission half heartedly, clearly indicating his displeasure, with emphasis that I should keep up my word. The main impelling force for me to attend the interview was not any love for engineering but MY STRONG AND IMPELLING DESIRE TO SEE MADRAS. ( continued)

Dear Sri Krish44

S Narayanaswamy Iyer
Iyerji

Quoting some sanskrit text and calling it as ones sanskar and feeling holy about it can perhaps make you feel good.

And calling someone Non brahminical -acting as the upholder of brahmin values whatever it might mean to you is despicable.

It is a cold fact human becomes just a corpse when his heart stops beating.

No mantra or tantra can revive the dead.

At the burning ghat, the persons there do not treat a brahmin corpse differently from others.

They are based on size of the body for deciding the requirement of wood .

I make it a point to go to the home of anyone nearby , even slightly known, if I hear someone has passed away in their family.

That sometimes lands me into unwanted mess.

One such friends mother passed away and I immediately went there . Since he felt helpless, I lent my expertise in putting a shroud and tying the body on the Paadai and

loading in funeral van.I was told I have to turn up when some religious ceremony to be performed on another day. i nodded and forgot about it.

After a few days, I was shocked when that friend landed up at my home with a plate of food covered in white cloth and said I had forgotten his request to go again to his

place.As per their religious belief , He cannot eat on that day before I am fed as I helped on funeral day.I was forced to consume the food in his presence. ....

After intermediate examination
My engineering college interview: part 1:

After completing my intermediate at St Joseph's college, Thiruchy in April 1952, I was pursuing my Mathematics Honours in the same college. At this point I stopped with a big" but". Man proposes but God disposes. Yes. Even though I didn't have an inclination for engineering, peer pressure and my parents and other relatives forced me to apply for engineering, since engineering was considered a STATUS SYMBOL then in the fifties.

During that year, because of the delay in the formation of the State Ministry, in view of congress party not getting an absolute majority to form the State Government by itself, the engineering interview was delayed till the end of July. The State was then a composite Madras state ( known as Madras presidency earlier), comprising the whole of what is now known as Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala , Karnataka and a part of Orissa minus the then princely States such as Pudukottai, Hyderabad, Mysore etc. In this vast presidency, there were only FOUR Government Engineering Colleges and less than a handful of private engineering colleges, unlike today where we have about 525 engineering colleges in Tamilnadu alone!

Similar to the present day reservation, there was a communal G.O restricting admission to forward class, PROVIDING PROPORTIONATE RESERVATION in which the so called forward among the forward classes will get a raw deal( in proportion to the total population). There was a fight going on then to retain the G.O. My village Ariyalur being a strong hold of Dravida Kazhagam (DK), the DK enthusiasts used to scribble on walls particularly in Agraharams that they want கம்பூணூல் G.O to be retained, mistaking communal to கம்பூணூல் which they thought had something to do with ' Poonool'. Admission in Engineering was very tough for FCs and particularly for Brahmins in view of their very small percentage (3%) of the total State population, but somehow forced by peer, parents and relatives pressure, I applied for engineering, even though I didn't have an iota of inclination ( leave alone chances) for it.

I was cocksure that I won't get admission in engineering and so I thought that merely applying for engineering just to satisfy my parents and friends is no harm.
When I was called for interview in July, I decided to appear for interview not because of the peer pressure or parental pressure building on me, but because of a LURKING DESIRE IN ME to use this opportunity to SEE MADRAS (now Chennai) which I had not seen till then and which was one of my fantasylands.
So I met Fr Ehrahrt (I am not sure of the spelling ) who was then the Principal of the college (and incidentally the warden of Clive's Hostel too in which I was staying as a hosteller) and asked him for three days leave. He became so red -faced that he started shouting at me saying that it was not fair on my part to try to go for engineering after getting admission in the college in the prestigious Mathematics Honours course and so he said that he won't give me leave to attend the interview. I was one of his favourites in the hostel and I pleaded with him saying that since my parents want me to appear for the interview, I want to go to Madras assuring him at the same time that I WON'T JOIN ENGINEERING EVEN IF OFFERED, a promise which I had to break later.

Even though not convinced, at last he gave me permission half heartedly, clearly indicating his displeasure, with emphasis that I should keep up my word. The main impelling force for me to attend the interview was not any love for engineering but MY STRONG AND IMPELLING DESIRE TO SEE MADRAS. ( continued)
When I faced the same issue of joining engg after BSc hons that too with univ rank, most friends thought it was foolish.

My college prof. just gave his congrats and did not say anything when I told him that I am opting for Engg.

Perhaps he knew that in sixties, fundamental sciences did not offer much scope and engg and technology held the key to a better future.

My cousin opted for B.Sc(Hon) though he got admission for BE in PSG - CBE saving 1 year of education expenses He cleared UPSC (IRS) and joined railways!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back