• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Drishti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Renu,

I appreciate when you say that there is no need for superstitions if there is true faith in God.

But, the time of your son's marriage should be approved by your D I L's family also!! ;)

Dear RR ji,

You see I wont get involved in all these..let the person's getting married decide how they want their marriage to be.

I believe in giving freedom to everyone.

So if the bride and groom decide to follow all traditions..then so be it..if they decide to do what the want and break away from tradition..then so be it...but on my own I wont be forcing anyone to follow any specific tradition.

I just hope in future I get a DIL whose mother is like me!LOL

In Narayana Upanishad it is stated that 'Kalasca Narayana" (Time is Narayana)..going by that how can there be a Good Time Narayana and Bad Time Narayana??

I think the answer is pretty obvious.

I too have similar mindset. I am becoming more and more Kabir panthi or Advaitin. I feel that we should not tolerate superstition, as it is insult to God.

Prasad Sir
Ref yr post #29.Drishti is not panacea to all our ills & nobody in this forum advocates Drishti instead of medical treatments. Along with medicine you can do drishti pariharms As PJ Sir has mentioned it is age old custom & practiced around the world. It cannot considered as irrational just because we do not have any scientific proof. PEOPLE WHO BELIVE IN DRISHTI ARE NOT FOOLS.

Sir,
I fully agree with you, and I even supported Rajiji's post in this regard. As supplement to treatment I have no problem with any other practice.
I do eat churan or Supari when i feel discomfort, but if that persists for more than a day I take medical advice.
My point was that Superstions should not be practice in case of medical conditions. Blaming others for your misery is not a solution.
Dristi assumes that there is an external source (Human being) responsible for your misfortune, that is wrong.

Sri Prasadji

I have great respect for you, that’s why as I am posting this for you.

People have different beliefs and you hold your own beliefs on certain matters; keep it that way and do not loss your patience.

For example in this

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...ha-sahasarnamam-power-really-hav-power-2.html

I just left the discussion saying “as everyone has there own opinion, and I have no intention of disputing others opinion.

I respect your Views, and if you think you are right, follow yours.”

This is the best way to avoid losing mental peace.

Best Regards

........... I just hope in future I get a DIL whose mother is like me!LOL
Dear Renu,

This point might give an idea to the matrimony sites!
icon3.png

To create a separate section to check 'compatibility of sambandhi mAmis / ma'ams!! :hug:

BTW its takes 2 to Tango.

So if someone is "prone" to Dristhi that means the person has a compatible karma to be "affected" isn't it?

Sri Prasadji

I have great respect for you, that’s why as I am posting this for you.

People have different beliefs and you hold your own beliefs on certain matters; keep it that way and do not loss your patience.

For example in this

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...ha-sahasarnamam-power-really-hav-power-2.html

I just left the discussion saying “as everyone has there own opinion, and I have no intention of disputing others opinion.

I respect your Views, and if you think you are right, follow yours.”

This is the best way to avoid losing mental peace.

Best Regards
Thank you.

BTW its takes 2 to Tango.

So if someone is "prone" to Dristhi that means the person has a compatible karma to be "affected" isn't it?
The corollary might be:

If a person can 'cast' drishti, he / she has a compatible karma to 'do' it. :boink:

The corollary might be:

If a person can 'cast' drishti, he / she has a compatible karma to 'do' it. :boink:

and to a deserving "victim"...so finally its balances off..so do not need to sit and worry who put Dristhi etc.

​We are in the seventh page! We never get tired of discussing even kutty matters!! :cool:

Thanks to the OP. :)

Dear Krish ji,

There is a "Dristhi" of another kind..one does not have to be a witch but one needs to be bewitching.

This females excel in..we just need to give shy side glances and men just lose their mind!LOL

in india 2042 women were eliminated as witches in last seven years for casting drishtis on others. this is for yr info.
Krishji,
"Women eliminated" do you mean they were murdered for being a so called "Witch"?

Some time you should call a spade a spade or else it looses its significance. I have been ranting against this kind of Superstitions. Some of the members are condoning such superstitions are harmless, and other namely Sarangji as cultural heritage. I am appalled that we tolerate (actually even promote) such irresponsible behavior.

There are harmless idiosyncrasy like a lucky sari, or lucky bat etc, but such dangerous practice like Dristi, which kills people are also termed as harmless.

If we can not eliminate Superstitions let us at least draw a line between harmless and harmful ones, and get rid of the harmful superstitions.

I am wondering why is it so hard for many of us to actually question anything instead of blindly accepting.

Everyone of us including me is guilty of some form of superstition to a certain extent but as Prasad ji said..we need to draw the line somewhere.

Questioning anything does not mean we disrespect any believe.

Yesterday as I were getting out of my car to get into my clinic..the neighbouring shop had service men place a ladder to service the AC units.

So I had to walk under those ladders to get into my clinic.

For a second I stopped to see if it was safe or not in case the ladder was not placed well or some guy would be throwing something down and it could hit me etc.

When I saw that it was safe I walked below it cos I had no choice..later I told them to move their ladder elsewhere cos I was afraid of kids walking below when the men where doing their work..did not want to risk any accident right in front of my clinic.

So you see..that is being careful and practical.

Same way ..we can adapt to time and place and understanding too.

I remember when we used to have a foreign maid with us and when my brother used to go to work in the morning..my mum used to ask the maid to go in the kitchen as my brother left for work cos she did not want him to see the maid's face in the morning! My mum felt its not good luck to see a maid's face in the morning!

When I got to know this I got real angry with my mum saying that the whole day we see the maid's face..she works for us at home..that time how come its not bad for us to see her face?

Why is it only in the morning its bad to see a maid's face? What about the people we see on the road as we drive to work? We cant be leading a life blindfolded can we? When God is in everyone how can any one face be "not good luck" to see in the morning?

After all these questions..my mum stopped the practice.

So you see if we question any superstition and find no logic behind it or its actually downright discriminating to anyone..just discard it..dont think twice.

Defending superstitions that have no basis is doing our grey matter gross injustice.

Last edited:
prasadji
eliminated is a mild word . they are lynched by villagers. this happens in villages -mostly backward in jharkand and other tribal places besides some who have not caught up with modern practices. whenever any sequence of bad events happen in a village , some ladies -mostly helpless widows belonging to lower castes are identified as the guilty party and punished for the bad events
of course what happens in cities as drishti is quite harmless affecting none and is only for self protection from evils.

I am wondering why is it so hard for many of us to actually question anything instead of blindly accepting.

Everyone of us including me is guilty of some form of superstition to a certain extent but as Prasad ji said..we need to draw the line somewhere.

Questioning anything does not mean we disrespect any believe.

Yesterday as I were getting out of my car to get into my clinic..the neighbouring shop had service men place a ladder to service the AC units.

So I had to walk under those ladders to get into my clinic.

For a second I stopped to see if it was safe or not in case the ladder was not placed well or some guy would be throwing something down and it could hit me etc.

When I saw that it was safe I walked below it cos I had no choice..later I told them to move their ladder elsewhere cos I was afraid of kids walking below when the men where doing their work..did not want to risk any accident right in front of my clinic.

So you see..that is being careful and practical.

Same way ..we can adapt to time and place and understanding too.

I remember when we used to have a foreign maid with us and when my brother used to go to work in the morning..my mum used to ask the maid to go in the kitchen as my brother left for work cos she did not want him to see the maid's face in the morning! My mum felt its not good luck to see a maid's face in the morning!

When I got to know this I got real angry with my mum saying that the whole day we see the maid's face..she works for us at home..that time how come its not bad for us to see her face?

Why is it only in the morning its bad to see a maid's face? What about the people we see on the road as we drive to work? We cant be leading a life blindfolded can we? When God is in everyone how can any one face be "not good luck" to see in the morning?

After all these questions..my mum stopped the practice.

So you see if we question any superstition and find no logic behind it or its actually downright discriminating to anyone..just discard it..dont think twice.

Defending superstitions that have no basis is doing our grey matter gross injustice.
renuka ji
lets not overdo the condemning bit
in my place, it is restricted burning only burning old jadoos used for sweeping or some mirchi to cast away spirits or leaving some coins for a journey for better health. do you know a single brahmin coming opposite direction to you while leaving home is considered bad omen. many consult religious calender for nalla neram when they go for important jobs. also many old people do not enter or leave their own homes on trips on some days.as they are not considered auspicious.
Because of this you can easily get flight/train ticket freely for tuesday as it is not considered to be a good day by tamils.flights are half empty.you do not book tatkal for tuesdays.

renuka ji
lets not overdo the condemning bit
in my place, it is restricted burning only burning old jadoos used for sweeping or some mirchi to cast away spirits or leaving some coins for a journey for better health. do you know a single brahmin coming opposite direction to you while leaving home is considered bad omen. many consult religious calender for nalla neram when they go for important jobs. also many old people do not enter or leave their own homes on trips on some days.as they are not considered auspicious.
Because of this you can easily get flight/train ticket freely for tuesday as it is not considered to be a good day by tamils.flights are half empty.you do not book tatkal for tuesdays.

I am not overdoing anything here..I am just asking for logic thats all.

BTW I am not even aware that people do not travel on Tuesdays..why yaar? What is so wrong?

Can you explain why Tuesday is not good for travel?

BTW why is a single Brahmin considered bad..I thought Rajini said "Singam Single ah thaan varum"....so there you go..disproved!LOL

Dear Renu,

Our ancestors were not mad to create rahu kAlam for each day. The reasons are unknown to us. We can not refuse something if we don't

know the logic / truth behind it. I don't see Tuesday as a bad day or rahu kAlam as bad time. I believe in Sakthi Vinayaka and do my duty.

As P J Sir said, Tuesday flights are cheaper; we too opt it. And I gave my son's application fee for IIT JEE to my niece on a Sunday at 5 pm!

Some in my family were against it. Now they say that he might have got a better rank than 36, if I had given the fee in a good time!! :)

As long as people do NOT impose their beliefs on others and do not hurt / harm other living beings, let them have their beliefs! :cool:
P.S: I go for shopping on Tuesdays / Fridays to avoid the crazy T'nagar crowd! :bump2:

Single brahmanan coming in front of us when we start for work is considered a bad omen = seeing a widowed lady!

People are crazy in a few beliefs. See the happiness of a single brahmanan, who got scolded by another man!

சந்தேகம் தீர்ந்தது!

மிகவும் சகுனத்தில் நம்பிக்கை கொண்ட ஒருவர்,
மிகவும் அவசர வேலையாகப் புறப்பட்டுச் செல்ல,

வெளி வாயிலைத் தாண்டும்போது, எதிரில் வந்தார்,

ஒளிரும் பட்டைத் திருநீறு இட்ட பிராமணர் ஒருவர்!

சகுனம் பார்க்கும் நபருக்கு வந்தது பெரும் கடுப்பு - அப
சகுனம் போல ஒற்றை பிராமணர் எதிரில் வந்ததால்!

'ஒற்றையாய் ஏன் வந்து படுத்துகின்றீர்! யாருடனாவது

சற்றே பேசியபடி வரக் கூடாதா?', என்று கடிந்தவுடனே,

'என்னவாகும் என்று நீர் அலட்டுகிறீர்?', என்று கேட்க,
'என்னவாகும் என உமக்குத் தெரியாதோ? போகின்ற

ஒரு வேலையும் நடக்காது, ஒற்றை பிராமணன் எதிர்
வரும் நாட்களில்', என்று சலித்தபடிச் சென்றார்; இவர்

அந்த வீட்டுத் திண்ணையிலேயே அமர்ந்து கொண்டார்;

அந்த மனிதர் திரும்புகிறவரை, அமைதியாக இருந்தார்!

மாலை வேளை, உலக மகா கோபத்துடன் திரும்பியவர்,
'வேலை ஒன்றுமே ஆகாமலே முடங்கியது! எல்லாமே

உம்மால் வந்த வினைதான்!', என்று கத்த, அதுவரையில்
சும்மாவே அமர்ந்த இவர், துள்ளிக் குதித்துச் சொன்னார்,

'வேலையை எல்லாம் ஒதுக்கிவிட்டு, நீர் சென்ற எல்லா

வேலைகளும் முடங்கியதா என அறியவே அமர்ந்தேன்!

பட்டையாய்த் திருநீறு போட்டாலும், வீட்டிலே என்னை

சட்டை செய்யாத மனைவி, 'நீர் பிராமணன்தானா?', என

தினம் கேட்டுத் திட்டுவாள்! என் சந்தேகம் தீர்ந்தது இன்று;

மனம் மகிழச் சொல்வேன், நான் ஒரு பிராமணனே என்று!'

:peace: . . . :dance:

Gist of the tamil write up
சந்தேகம் தீர்ந்தது!

A man who had strong belief in omens met with a single brahmanan just as he was leaving his house for some important jobs. He got

terribly annoyed and asked the B why he could not come with another man since seeing him single is a bad omen. This B quietly sat on

the varandha of that man, till he returned in the evening. The man was boiling with anger and shouted at the B that none of his jobs were

finished and it is ALL because of seeing this single brahmanan first! The B was so elated and started jumping with joy! He exclaimed,

'I wear pattai vibhoothi everyday but my wife often shouts at me, "neer oru brahmaNanthAnA?" Now I can tell her that I am one!!' :thumb:

Tuesday, which is known as Mangalwar or Chowai or Chovazhcha, is considered inauspicious by some Hindu communities, especially in South India (Kerala). No journey is commenced on Tuesday as it is bad. Auspicious ceremonies are also avoided on the day. Some scholars indicate that that it is suggested in the Brihat Samhita of Varahamihira that Tuesday should be avoided for auspicious functions.

Mangalwar or Tuesday is ruled by Mars or Mangal. Mars is also known by the name of Angarak, Kujan, Agneya and this all indicates that the planet is red and is associated with heat. He is also believed to kick start fights and is also considered to be responsible for cuts and bruises on the body. He is also believed to create unwanted competitions among people.

(Probably this is the reason for Hair cutting Saloons in Tamil Nadu are closed on Tuesdays!!)

Tuesday begins at the highest influence point of Mars and therefore he is believed to have control throughout the day.

In Jyotish astrology, Mangala (Devanagari: Magala) is the name for Mars, the red planet. Mars is also called Angaraka ('one who is red in colour' also called Rakta varna whose color is like blood ;He is the god of war and is celibate

In Vedic astrology Mangala is considered a malefic of the first order; Mangala represents drive and physical energy, self-confidence and ego, strength, anger, impulsiveness, heroism and adventurous nature. Mangala rules over blood, muscles and bone marrow. He is associated with battle, war and soldiers.

Ancient Babylonians first created the week, dividing it into seven days. Each day was named for one of the seven known moving bodies in the sky: the sun, the moon, Mars, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn. The Babylonians believed that each of these heavenly objects influenced people's lives on the days named for them. "Mars Day" was Tuesday. Because of the planet's red color, the Babylonians associated Mars with Aggression and performed special ceremonies on Tuesdays to avoid the fearsome influence of this warlike planet.

"Tews" was the English name for the god of war.

Hindus wear red-colored clothes on Tuesdays and offer red flowers to Lord Hanuman. 'Moonga' is the preferred gem of the day.

These are some of the reasons why Tuesday is held inauspicious.

But Tuesday is considered the most auspicious day to worship Lord Hanuman – Sankat Mochan. Tuesday is also highly auspicious to worship Lord Ganesha.

That’s why I do not hesitate to travel on Tuesdays and Travel Tickets to India is cheaper on that day as compared to other days!!

Why Tuesday is considered inauspicious by some Hindu communities? ~ Hindu Blog
Mangala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mars Exploration Program: Mars in our Daily Life

Tuesday (Mangalvar) – Hindu Deities & Ritual Fasts for Tuesday

Let us say our ancestors were super geniuses, Why did they only gave this knowledge to limited people in the world?
Next Just because there is superstations in other parts of world should we create or follow our own?

Many people have irrational superstitions, even if they don't like to admit it. A broken mirror, a black cat, the number 13 and opening an umbrella indoors are all common signs of alleged imminent misfortune. No matter how absurd some superstitions may seem, they are prevalent across world cultures. Even people who claim to be pure logical thinkers inevitably act in irrational ways according to some unexplainable superstition.
Ahchoo, "God bless you." This custom comes from the idea that when you sneeze a part of your soul flies out. Assumedly, not many people hold on to this belief. Rather, most just practice it to be courteous.

Superstitions provide a window into the past where people struggled to find meaning in the world around them. Understanding how these superstitions reverberate today allows insight into what people of previous lifetimes were concerned about and valued.
Spilled salt is a symbol of bad luck because long ago salt was a precious commodity used to preserve and season food. Wasting something so valuable would have been regarded as a sin of carelessness. People thought the sin of spilled salt would attract the devil and so they would throw a pinch of salt over their shoulder into the devil's eyes to neutralize bad luck.

A superstition still believed by some remote cultures of the world is that a photograph captures your soul, or part of it at least. In such a camera saturated world this idea is either absurd or frightening, depending on whichever you believe.

I am not going to post in this thread as I have not been able to change any views. Moreover some people are confusing harmless practice with dangerous superstations like Dreisti, people have been burnt for such acts.

Suppose you are visiting some remote corner of world as tourist, and you take picture, and that person attacks you because you stole his soul.
Maharastra tied to outlaw superstition, but will have tough time enforcing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back