• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Custom regarding observing "seethagam" following the demise of a dayathikarar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom regarding observing "seethagam" following the demise of a dayathikarar

Hello to fellow members of the society of Tamil Brahmins. My family originally hails from Tirunelvely though since my grand father's time we are settled in Trivandrum and from my generation on in Mumbai or anywhere in the world! Thus we belong essentially to uprooted generations many times over!!

I shall be thankful if any of your learned members can enlighten me regarding the practice of observing the 10 day "seethagam" (mourning) during which we are not supposed to visit temple or do puja or conduct any religious functions. If some dayathikarar (blood relation on the male side) passed away we are supposed to observe 10 day seethagam. Now if the connection is beyond a number of generations, say 7, is there any shortening of the period?

Looking forward to expert opinion.

M R Iyer

Hello to fellow members of the society of Tamil Brahmins. My family originally hails from Tirunelvely though since my grand father's time we are settled in Trivandrum and from my generation on in Mumbai or anywhere in the world! Thus we belong essentially to uprooted generations many times over!!

I shall be thankful if any of your learned members can enlighten me regarding the practice of observing the 10 day "seethagam" (mourning) during which we are not supposed to visit temple or do puja or conduct any religious functions. If some dayathikarar (blood relation on the male side) passed away we are supposed to observe 10 day seethagam. Now if the connection is beyond a number of generations, say 7, is there any shortening of the period?

Looking forward to expert opinion.

M R Iyer

Beyond 7 generations there is no seethakam.

Thanks for the information. Can anyone give some reference book in which the religious rites are explained.
I found tracing 7 generations is difficult. Only by hearsay we know some one is dayathi, but the family connections no longer exist. Upto 4 generations it is easier. Is there a shortening of the pracrtice for lesser number of generations?

M R Iyer

Someone in Tirunelvely send me the following rules for Seethagam:

Guidelines for observing Seethakam on the demise of relatives:
1. Upto 3 generations of dayathis ie blood relations on the male side 10 days
2. 4th generation 7 days
3. 5th to 7th generation 3 days
4. Beyond 7th generation need not be observed. Only a bath on hearing the news will do
5. Uncle on mothers side 1 day
6. In laws on wifes side 1 day
7. Maternal grand mothers 1 day
Can anybody inform me if this is the correct procedure or would like to suggest any changes

M R Iyer

Dear sri iyer

there is a book called dharma satra by radhakrihna sastrigal where you will get all details.the theettu varies for each relation apart from dayathi.there are seperate theettu for women.theettu varies from 10 daus to one day.
If you dont get the book pl tell me i will furnish the details.
In this regard i have raised a querry that durin the theetu periob if there is nobody in the house except the theettu person how to make foods etc.
Hope somebody will guide me

ramani

Dear sri iyer

there is a book called dharma satra by radhakrihna sastrigal where you will get all details.the theettu varies for each relation apart from dayathi.there are seperate theettu for women.theettu varies from 10 daus to one day.
If you dont get the book pl tell me i will furnish the details.
In this regard i have raised a querry that durin the theetu periob if there is nobody in the house except the theettu person how to make foods etc.
Hope somebody will guide me

ramani

Dear Ramani,
Thank you very much for the reply. I am eager to procure a copy of the book mentioned by you. Please inform me how and from where I can procure a copy? Thanks

M R Iyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back