• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are queues not an Indian custom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GANESH65

Indians generally are quite impatient by nature compared to citizens of other countries. This was the comment which dragged me into an argument. I was in the company of four friends one of them was a psychiatrist who ignited the issue. He was doing a research on behavior of people on different occasion where one has to wait for his turn to get his work done. His arguments were:

1. Indians generally tend to jump the queue whenever there is an opportunity.
  2. They don't follow the lane driving system themselves but wants everyone else to follow.
  3. He quotes examples of many countries where people always stand behind the man if some one is standing before a counter, but if in India, the person goes directly to the counter unless objected to by the men already standing there. Sometimes even submits flimsy reasons in support of his breaking queue. This seems to be a general tendency here in India.
  4. Normally very difficult to controlled by humans or manual measures but will patiently wait if the turns are managed by machines like token vending machines.
  5. His observation is that they tend to follow rules if it is assured that everyone else follows it. He attributes the reason for the same to the confidence in people that machines will not play foul there will not be any out of turn entry if the queue is managed by machines.
  6. Indirectly he intends to prove that Indians will trust and abide by machines rather than fellow humans.

Any comments guys?..

Dear Ganesh Sir,

The dense population might have developed this habit in Indians! If there are about 40 seats in a bus, there will be thrice the number of people

waiting to board it! Most of them push to others to get in to find a seat. Some even jump through the windows! So, even when only a handful of

persons have to board a bus, they dash against each other to get in; it is a force of habit.

Now an example: I saw some video clippings in which people were thronging to see the movie 'Kabali', in Sing. Chennai. It was just a mad rush!
But in Boston, there were only four persons, including Ram and me, to see that movie. :couch2:

Queue is the byproduct of a society where demand outstrips supply.

Rationing resources always leads to need for queues.

India has lived with a situation where are huge mismatches of supply and demand.

This creates a situation to skip or not honour queue.

It also leads to quotas for the well off or special treatment on some pretext or other.

All of us who have been brought up in such a society in india care too hoots for orderliness or Queue.

In delhi whenever someone sees a queue, many join it without knowing what is being offered.

The thinking is if there is a long queue something attractive would be available by joining it.

hi

we learn to break the queue system from childhood....when SUNDAL/PRASADAM distribution in temples ....generally in queues...

one who BREAK the queue...he gets prasadam....i heard a story told by some great men.....when prasadam was distributing

in MAARGAZHI MONTH....a boy was standing in queue following the rule properly....but those who stand after him got the

prasadam by cutting/jumping in queue...so the boy never get the prasad....then his mom got angry and told him that

he has to cut the queue by hook/crook to get the prasad....THIS IS THE FIRST LESSON FOR THE BOY TO BREAK THE QUEUE....

i had my personal experience....recently two yrs back....when myself/wife was visiting chennai in the airport for for immigration

clearance....she was in the proper queue like USA.....i saw that all other fellow passengers crossed the line....but

she was still in queue ...but all others left before her....then i said to her....THIS IS INDIA....WE HAVE TO LEARN HOW

TO BREAK THE LINE/QUEUE TO SURVIVE IN THIS COUNTRY....THIS IS NOT USA TO FOLLOW PROPER RULES TO SURVIVE...

Dear TBS Sir,

Now, passengers at the airport are more civilized!! :D

You mean to say law breaking is now part of our civilization!! Now I understand why my friend was right and I was wrong in picking up an argument with him...

Which airport you are talking about?

Have you ever tried tiruchi international flights?

We have senior women passengers who do not respond to their passport name and know what they are called home.They do not understand queues. Someone else

have to fill their immigration cards.Lovers,newly married create scenes

In delhi, security lines while deparure and immigration queues on return are horrors.

Missing baggages in chennai is a regular feature.Falling glasses and baggage collection areas are in total chaos.small baggages go missing as these are not loaded into

the belt many times.

Sometimes international area is used for domestic flights which subjects domestic passengers to unwarranted harassments

You mean to say law breaking is now part of our civilization!! .........
No, Sir! I saw the real civilized behaviour of passengers, when I returned from the U S of A last month.
Of course, the flight landed at wee hours in the morning and not many flights land at that time. :peace:

No, Sir! I saw the real civilized behaviour of passengers, when I returned from the U S of A last month.
Of course, the flight landed at wee hours in the morning and not many flights land at that time. :peace:

:yield: :lol::lol:

Dear Ganesh Sir,

I can write ONLY my experience, right? This time, there was a nasty catch in my right knee, just a day before departure.

Hence, I had to request for a wheel chair. Only at the London airport, the guys were very unfriendly! Racism?? :noidea:

But, it was royal treatment both at Boston and Chennai airports - of course with good tips in $ and rupees! :)

Wheel chairs are best for senior citizens.

In fact it is a lovely experience being pushed around with priority entry at airports.

In very large airports like delhi where one has to go half a kilometer to board after security and immigration, wheelchairs are a God send.

With fractured feet , even in cities having a wheel chair for getting around the city can be an enjoyable experience.

I have experienced the latter . So am sharing this.lol

I have heard about the racist behaviour of people in London form my friends and relatives stays there! Colonialistic mentlity still persists their minds! But I think the English and US people are still better compared to their counter parts in Australia where Indians and Asians are treated very bad. As you rightly said, money has no language, no disparity on race, and universally accepted with a happy smile!!

Wheel chairs are best for senior citizens. ........
Many seniors request for wheel chair, even when they really don't need one, since priority is given while boarding and they are helped while

collecting their luggage! I was really shocked to note that there were 21 passengers who requested for wheel chair in the flight that I boarded!

When people misuse this assistance, authorities behave in a rude manner. At the London airport, an African American senior lady literally

cried when she was asked to walk up to the security! Then only she was assisted. When I asked the accompanying girl why she made me walk

such a long distance, she told me that I should have cried and got the wheel chair!! :shocked:

When I see the mindset of western countries or US towards indians, I prefer to go where we not insulted.

We are spending the money they need , I demand service in return.

In all south east asian countries or china ,japan etc things are better.

In middle east we get badly treated because of our religion.

In africa it is much better.

I am preferring bali this time as it is a hindu place.

Singapore is good because of tamil speaking people there.

You mean to say law breaking is now part of our civilization!! Now I understand why my friend was right and I was wrong in picking up an argument with him...

hi

not civilization....law breaking/cutting queue lines are OUR BIRTH RIGHT....LOL

Dear Ganesh Sir,

I can write ONLY my experience, right? This time, there was a nasty catch in my right knee, just a day before departure.

Hence, I had to request for a wheel chair. Only at the London airport, the guys were very unfriendly! Racism?? :noidea:

But, it was royal treatment both at Boston and Chennai airports - of course with good tips in $ and rupees! :)
hi

becoz pf this problem....now i prefer to fly through DUBAI TO CHENNAI FROM USA....i like EMIRATES better than BA...

When I see the mindset of western countries or US towards indians, I prefer to go where we not insulted.

We are spending the money they need , I demand service in return.

In all south east asian countries or china ,japan etc things are better.

In middle east we get badly treated because of our religion.

In africa it is much better.

I am preferring bali this time as it is a hindu place.

Singapore is good because of tamil speaking people there.

I am not sure that you have been to US or other western countries recently.
Generally I do not find any disrespect towards Indians. Yes sometimes you get some arrogant person, or they confuse you for a middle eastern person.
We do lack civic sense. But like others pointed out, it may be due to shortages.
Also in India even at the airport they do are very disorganized. For instance at the immigration counter, there are no guideline for creating queues. The officers posted are not helpful. There is no one directing the people coming into the building.

Boston people are friendly and helpful. :thumb:

Hence those who have been there for a few years stick to that place. :cool:

I am not sure that you have been to US or other western countries recently.
Generally I do not find any disrespect towards Indians. Yes sometimes you get some arrogant person, or they confuse you for a middle eastern person.
We do lack civic sense. But like others pointed out, it may be due to shortages.
Also in India even at the airport they do are very disorganized. For instance at the immigration counter, there are no guideline for creating queues. The officers posted are not helpful. There is no one directing the people coming into the building.
In western countries we are at best tolerated.There is no issue of disrespect as such.This is true of places like switzerland who depend on tourism.In germany or france

most only ignore. In south east or japan or china you get welcomed. Thats the difference.

Have you visited the U S of A, Krish Sir?

If so, you can comment on the people'e behaviour towards Indians. :)

When I entered an amusement park in Myrtle beach, an American guy shouted, 'Behanji! NamastE!' and did a namaskAr with folded hands!

He wanted to show off his knowledge in Hindi and Indian culture, to me! ;)

hi

KANOON THODNA ..HAMARA JANMA SIDDH ADHIKAR HAI.....LINE CUT MARNA....HAMARA JANMA GUN HAI.....

In western countries we are at best tolerated.There is no issue of disrespect as such.This is true of places like switzerland who depend on tourism.In germany or france

most only ignore. In south east or japan or china you get welcomed. Thats the difference.

Sir you are confusing cultural practices to disrespect. I feel disrespected when I visit Chennai, where the shopkeepers are so rude. I feel that people in Bombay (mumbai) are rude as In marathi language it is common to use that form. In UP, Bihar, Rajasthan they even address their children with respect. The language they use that way. So you understand, and change your attitude.
The japanese way of bowing down to a guest, in an American setting would be out of place..

in view of our complexion and our colonial past, we are sensitive to discrimination from european,us/canada citizens.Even if they ignore and not mix with us we feel

slighted.That feeling does not arise in south east asia or japan or china.we have more in common with the latter.So our preferance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back