• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Chennai rains

Status
Not open for further replies.
To day,retail prices of Vegetables prices sore to the peak. i.e. Rs 70/- to Rs 100/ per k,g,
Tomato is being sold Rs. 120/- per k.kg. in retail.

I got vegetables 3 days back itself when there was a brief stop in rain and it was OK at that time . Just an hour back a cousin of mine went for shopping Vegetbales and told me that very few stock is left and they are very expensive and usually per visit he buys for Rs.250-Rs.300 and in today's context he had to buy the same for Rs.800+ i.e 2.5-3 times more and that tomatoes were Rs.120 per Kg and 3 days back they were available for Rs.60-70. The bigger problem is that available stocks are running out and unless fresh supply comes the price will keep shooting up and for fresh supplies to come , the rains must stop and roads must be cleared for the vegetable trucks to move smoothly and in Chennai it will take a week for this mess to get settled down provided the rains also do not keep pouring again .

Rains subside, but Chennai will take time to limp back to normalcy

Educational institutions and most offices in the city will remain closed even on Tuesday

The clouds have moved to the Andhra coast and Chennai has got some respite from the rains, but a tough task lies ahead for the administration. With many people still stranded in the city’s suburbs, teams of the Indian Air Force, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and the local administration are busy with rescue operations.

The IAF helicopters, boats and military trucks deployed in the city have rescued more than 17,000 people and shifted them to safer locations. Five and a half lakh food packets are being distributed in the city to people who have been left stranded.

See more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...limp-back-normalcy-36055#sthash.DOwwVVwM.dpuf

12219434_922027781212519_3702937009661067539_n.jpg

Source: face book

It appears that JJ has given serious instructions down the line not to spare time in giving counters to the opponents but to involve silently in relief work.

CNN -IBN covers chennai rains pretty well.

Yesterday the channel put out the response of govt agencies to rain related issues.

when it pours 24 cms when 12 cms are expected, no amount of pre planning can help.

The indiscriminate constructions in low lying areas such as velachery, pallikaranai and builders getting easy approvals is the root cause.

The drainage systems require to be revamped .

The water release mechanisms from lakes overflowing could be better coordinated.

It is mostly the poor neighbourhoods in outlying/south chennai areas [exception adyar] which seem to suffer more.

In areas where well off mid income people live , it is at best some water collection around the homes which is likely to drain off in a couple of days I suppose.

I think the govt and opposition parties in tamilnadu have done very good work in giving relief to people as compared to UP , assam or uuttarakhand which also face

flood/rain fury in past. I have seen Both sun ,jaya TV showing relief operations which show remarkable efforts . Tamil nadu is lucky to have caring political parties

though their care might not be totally unselfish. Yet they have reached relief to citizens far better than most states.

I think the govt and opposition parties in tamilnadu have done very good work in giving relief to people as compared to UP , assam or uuttarakhand which also face

flood/rain fury in past. I have seen Both sun ,jaya TV showing relief operations which show remarkable efforts . Tamil nadu is lucky to have caring political parties

though their care might not be totally unselfish. Yet they have reached relief to citizens far better than most states.

Yes This is my experiance with the flood relief efforts of Jayalaithas previous government - There was heavy rain and madurai city was flooded in few areas and not the area where I live But this ward was declared flood affected - I decided not to accept the relief I was eligible for But the ward councellor advised my to go to the relief centre with ration Card immediately to receive Rs.1000 cash with 5kgs of Rice etc while inspecting Flood relief efforts in my street! The logic If had not taken it this would any way will be siphioned off with entry against my name! The relief is never targetted and the money gets syphoned off! I remember I got World Space Radio! with that flood relief money!!

One of my relatives who had gone to chennai from delhi for diwali got hospitalised due to food poisoning and returned after the initial rains before it got worse . She is not normal yet.

Another in chennai lives in byelanes of triplicane on high ground. One of the political parties stores its relief materials there. The ward councillor has ensured that relief

material is first given to the residents of the lane to ensure smooth passage of relief material to other areas LOL.

Rain brings unexpected prosperity to some and misery to many.

Sing Chennai will rot like this in future too! :sad:

The basic problems are these:

1. Most of the catchment areas are filled up with rubbish and sold by real estate agents who have political support.

2. Concrete going well down the earth widely in the city has reduced water absorption.

3. Most of the apartments pump out the water from inside their compound on the roads and the low lying areas get flooded.

4. The few lakes which still survive from the cruel hands of real estate people are NOT maintained to their full capacity.

Excess water is let into the city and later on the corporation will lement that there is not enough water to supply in summer!

5. Road are raised every now and then, pushing the floor level of two decade + old buildings lower than the road level.

6. Allow the rain water to enter the sea and then plan for plants to distill sea water to potable water!! Funny, right?
These miseries will continue to make the gazanA of political people fill up!! :popcorn:

It could be a nightmare to think about the effects of such deluge on the " Metro ' specially the stretch that goes in the பாதாளம் - when Metro is fully operational in such situation - as I see our inefficiensy currently in disaster management!
_

It is said medical camps are being set up by Govt. in some identified places to take care of people from possible flood related epidemics.

Oh, yeah! Another way to loot money by medical camps! May be those who pay more will get more attention! :)

Chennai is not new to this kind of Rains. Unfortunately no one seem to have learnt the lesson of ravages of Nature. Among the Tamil TV channels, I found "Polimer TV" coverage of rain is devoid of Politics and sensationalism. They showed how people have misused natural resourses for selfish gains.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

In west Tambaram area, many deserted their houses and escaped in boats to reach the safer areas / relatives' houses.

It is reported that he locked houses are being looted by anti social elements.

In west Tambaram area, many deserted their houses and escaped in boats to reach the safer areas / relatives' houses.

It is reported that he locked houses are being looted by anti social elements.

True and today on TV they showed some senior citizens though shifted with their family outside daily make a visit to their houses wading through the water and maintain a vigil throughout in the terrace . Really a sorry situation . It seems even the Cops have warned them of this and told them to take necessary action to prevent theft in their absence .

True and today on TV they showed some senior citizens though shifted with their family outside daily make a visit to their houses wading through the water and maintain a vigil throughout in the terrace . Really a sorry situation . It seems even the Cops have warned them of this and told them to take necessary action to prevent theft in their absence .
hi

its good season for theives.....

How the floods made TN government officials realize they were being inaccessible .

Amidst the massive floods which Tamil Nadu saw in the past few weeks, the government machinery got a rude wake-up call on an unexpected front.

As this reporter with a popular TV channel was battling the floods and his newsroom at the same time during live coverage of nature’s most recent affront on Chennai city, he received a call from a senior bureaucrat who had not spoken to him, in fact avoided his calls, for nearly 5 years. “It has been a long time,” the officer said, and quickly moved on the job at hand – requesting the reporter to please not indulge in ‘negative coverage’ of the Chennai floods. “Please show our rescue efforts as well, this is not fair,” said the officer. The reporter claims to have told him that what was actually unfair is that journalists have not been getting the information they need from the Tamil Nadu government. The officer then promptly arranged for the logistics of passing on information to the reporter.

See more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...being-inaccessible-36186#sthash.1mNPwvJM.dpuf

[h=1]Chennai Floods a Man-Made Disaster, Say Experts[/h]CHENNAI: As Chennai struggles to find its footing after the massive floods that has killed over 100 people, experts say it was a man-made disaster that was waiting to strike the city.

Over the years, water bodies across the city have been filled up and built upon, often by politicians with interests in the real estate business, say environmentalists. The result: During incessant rains, water overflows. In 2005 a similar deluge shook the city. This time, around 12000 people had to be evacuated in Chennai alone.

Nisha Thota an environmentalist and Founder of SHUDDA said, "It's a wake-up call. There would be even bigger tragedies if we don't preserve our water bodies, if we don't deepen them... We don't have to depend on other states for water".

[h=1]At Perumbakkam, off the IT Corridor, Thiyagarajan's dream home is on a filled-up lake. This prime property is surrounded by water accessible only by boat. The family has moved to a friend's house.[/h][h=1]Read more at: http://www.ndtv.com/chennai-news/ch...disaster-say-experts-1246050?pfrom=home-south[/h]

gallerye_00052826_1392473.jpg

சென்னை: தமிழகத்தில் மழை, வெள்ளத்தால் பாதிக்கப்பட்ட பகுதிகளை, மத்திய அமைச்சர்கள் நிர்மலா சீதாராமன், பொன்.ராதாகிருஷ்ணன் ஆகியோர் நேற்று பார்வையிட்டனர். 'இந்த விவகாரத்தில், மத்திய அரசிடம் இருந்து உதவி பெறுவதில் தமிழக அரசு அலட்சியமாக உள்ளது' என, அவர்கள் புகார் தெரிவித்தனர்.

சென்னை, காஞ்சிபுரம், கடலுார் மாவட்டங்களில் வெள்ளத்தால் ஏற்பட்ட பாதிப்புகளை, மத்திய வர்த்தகம் மற்றும் தொழில் துறை இணை அமைச்சர் நிர்மலா சீதாராமன், மத்திய கப்பல் மற்றும் தரைவழி போக்குவரத்து துறை இணை அமைச்சர் பொன்.ராதாகிருஷ்ணன் ஆகியோர், பா.ஜ., சார்பில் நேற்று பார்வையிட்டனர்.

பின், சென்னையில் உள்ள தமிழக பா.ஜ., தலைமை அலுவலகமான கமலாலயத்தில், நேற்று மாலை அவர்கள் அளித்த பேட்டி:தமிழகத்தில் ஏற்பட்ட வெள்ள பாதிப்புகளை தடுக்க, முன்னெச்சரிக்கை நடவடிக்கையை எடுக்க, தமிழக அரசு தவறிவிட்டது. 'வெள்ளம் ஏற்படும்' என்ற அறிவிப்பைக் கூட மக்கள் அனைவரும் அறிந்து கொள்ளும் வகையில் முன்கூட்டியே வெளியிட தமிழக அரசு தவறிவிட்டது. மழைநீருடன் கழிவுநீரும் சேர்ந்து குடியிருப்புகளுக்குள் புகுந்துள்ளது.அங்கீகரிக்கப்பட்ட வீட்டு மனைகளில் கூட கழிவுநீர் கால்வாய்கள் அமைக்கப்படவில்லை நீர் நிலைகள் ஆக்கிரமிக்கப்பட்டு உள்ளதால்,.வெள்ளம் வடிய வாய்ப்பு இல்லை. சென்னை, வேளச்சேரி அருகே, ஓடை ஒன்றின் மீது அரசே

Read more at: http://www.dinamalar.com/news_detail.asp?id=1392473

Yesterday afternoon,there was heavy rain in certain parts of Chennai. Water started logging on in main roads upto knee deep. Auto rickshaws demanded a huge sum. Traffic was also jammed. Many working people including ladies felt difficult to reach the home and had to walk their distance from office to the nearest railway stations in knee deep water. So also near the homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back