• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

This one is real...Beware of Cyclone Vardah near Chennai...Heavy rains forecast for M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyclone moving westwards towards Chennai area..Heavy rain forecast on Monday..Please take care

CzXlX1gXEAAHFFS.jpg

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/807803908479451136

Cycle Vardah will drop 100-200mm of rain in Chennai area - flooding possible today. Ironic that area only had 27% of average rain since October....Pl take care

Source:BBC Weather

Vganesh Ji,

This year South West monsoon failed.

And the North East Monsoon has not brought more rain against expectations.

And cyclone 'Nada' has disappointed.

We need more water storage to manage for the whole year

Will 'Vardah' help......??

Cycle Vardah will drop 100-200mm of rain in Chennai area - flooding possible today. Ironic that area only had 27% of average rain since October....Pl take care.
Dear Ganesh,

We had historic rain fall in Chennai last year, AFTER the wells were really brim full; and there was no space for the water

to soak! Also, all the lakes were overflowing and were opened at midnight of December 1 st. Even now, a chill goes down my

spine, when I think of the bad experiences we faced last year. This year, Chennai is rain-starved. Whatever be the downpour
for just one day, it may not create any big problem. Good that all the educational institutes are :lock1:.

Dear Ganesh,

We had historic rain fall in Chennai last year, AFTER the wells were really brim full; and there was no space for the water

to soak! Also, all the lakes were overflowing and were opened at midnight of December 1 st. Even now, a chill goes down my

spine, when I think of the bad experiences we faced last year. This year, Chennai is rain-starved. Whatever be the downpour
for just one day, it may not create any big problem. Good that all the educational institutes are :lock1:.

Pray Chennai gets copious rains through Vardah!

[h=1]11 மணி முதல் காற்றின் வேகம் அதிகரிக்கும்[/h][h=1]சென்னை : வர்தா புயல் சென்னையை நோக்கி வேகமாக நகர்ந்து வருவதால், 11 மணி முதல் காற்றின் வேகம் அதிகரிக்கும்.

காலை 10.30 மணி நிலவரப்படி சென்னைக்கு 87 கி.மீ., தொலைவில் வர்தா புயல் மையம் கொண்டுள்ளது. இந்த வர்தா பகல் 2 முதல் 3 மணியளவில் பழவேற்காடு - ஸ்ரீஹரிகோட்டா இடையே கரையை கடக்கும். இதனால் காலை 11 மணி முதல் காற்றின் வேகம் அதிகரிக்கக் கூடும். இந்த அதிவேக காற்று மாலை 4 மணி வரை நீடிக்கும்.[/h][h=1]Source: http://www.dinamalar.com/news_detail.asp?id=1667511[/h]

Looking at the visuals being telecast on TV, sitting at Delhi, I think this Vardah was the most deadliest cyclone that Chennai would have ever witnessed..I understand wind speeds were as high as 140 km per hour! Traffic was very less on the roads on account of the wide media coverage! Even private offices were closed!! There were less casualties too! But we will get a clearer picture tomorrow from the villages & other interior areas which are completely blacked out..There was no power supply..No internet..Those who had inverter at home were fortunate..Even mobiles were not working

Can Chennai folks share your experiences!!

Last edited:
What were we doing when electricity and internet were NOT available?

:eek:hwell: The two days experience gave a sample of that life.

Nonstop rain flooded the roads; branches of trees fell down every now and then; some trees were uprooted; roads became dirty

rivers and water entered almost all the compounds in our area! No electricity since 12th morning; no signal in bsnl cell tower; no

internet; no television; no servant maid!! We had to retire to bed early and wake up at sunrise when we saw some light. How long

can the inverter supply power? We had to economize the usage with no fan + 5 W lamp and keep the house lighted. Karthikai

deepams could be lit only inside the house. But, yesterday we could see the bright full moon in the clear sky and wondered how

mother nature changes her face so easily! Kept lot of lamps in front of my sweet home! :thumb:

P.S: Electricity is restored early this morning and good to work with my PC! ;)

Many banks are NOT working even today! The nearby branch refused to accept a deposit of OHD notes saying that

there is no connectivity! People have started depending on machines and forgetting the manual operations! :sad:

I suggested to the manager of the bank to make a board to announce 'indru pOy nALai vA' which might be useful often! :lol:

Raji Ram;368915[B said:
][/B]Many banks are NOT working even today! The nearby branch refused to accept a deposit of OHD notes saying that

there is no connectivity! People have started depending on machines and forgetting the manual operations! :sad:
hi

generally in chennai...the situation is like this...may be my perception....in any office/bank...i had like this experiences even in normal

days...கல்லு இருந்தால் நாய் இல்லை....நாய் இருந்தால் கல்லு இல்லை.....நாயும் கல்லும் இருந்தால்

அடிக்கறதுக்கு ஆள் இல்லை....

...... ..கல்லு இருந்தால் நாய் இல்லை....நாய் இருந்தால் கல்லு இல்லை.....நாயும் கல்லும் இருந்தால்

அடிக்கறதுக்கு ஆள் இல்லை....
:clap2: ... :thumb:

Third attempt to the dear bank! Hope they will have connectivity at least today! ;)

Cable lines are not restored yet. So, no idiot box for three consecutive days.

My siblings give the TV news thro' phone which works by God's grace! :pray:

I am unable to touch base with my parents for past 3 days as there is no power at home & mobile phones are discharged....

Started to get some temporary power only from Yesterday night . The transformer near our apartment has been fully damaged as a big tree fell over it . The fallen trees have been cut and kept in the side . Hope the TNEB department restores / replaces the transformer soon . Lot of suffering the last 3 days due to lack of power , water , communication . Only saving grace was that BSNL Landline was working fully that helped me to be in touch with others . But I appreciate the Corporation , Police and TNEB Authorities for working very hard and trying to restore things as quickly as they can .

Dear Ganesh,

I used Candles from 6 pm to 9 pm and t
orch light for bathroom visits! The inverter was used very sparingly (had a 5 W lamp

while preparing and eating dinner). This minimal usage helped to charge my mobile and cordless phone. Though BSNL tower

was out of service for about a day, it was restored successfully! :thumb:

So......... keeping in touch with family and friends! :phone:

Third attempt to the dear bank! Hope they will have connectivity at least today! ;)

Cable lines are not restored yet. So, no idiot box for three consecutive days.

My siblings give the TV news thro' phone which works by God's grace! :pray:
hi

i had bitter experiences for just PASS BOOK ENTRY.....the first day ...system down....second day....printer out of order...

third day....the concern person is not available...it means .....three days required for a just a passbook entry...

this is normal days situation....not any abnormal days....

Dear Ganesh,

orch light for bathroom visits! The inverter was used very sparingly (had a 5 W lamp

while preparing and eating dinner). This minimal usage helped to charge my mobile and cordless phone. Though BSNL tower

Thumbs up for you.

How to ration scarce resources many can learn from you.

hi

i had bitter experiences for just PASS BOOK ENTRY.....the first day ...system down....second day....printer out of order...

third day....the concern person is not available...it means .....three days required for a just a passbook entry...

this is normal days situation....not any abnormal days....

TBS Sir,

How about going online..You do not have to bother about these hassles!

Dear Ganesh,

Raji Madam,

Good idea!

Mobile portable battery charger will also help in these powerless situations! I will arrange this next time I visit Chennai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back