• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins caused DMK defeat, says Karuna

Status
Not open for further replies.

praveen

Life is a dream
Staff member
/* as published in Deccan Chronicle Chennai Edition on Sat June 11, 2011 */
/* I am just re-posting the same. That's all and i have no intentions to cause any discomfort, anguish or mental trauma to anyone.*/

‘DMK has its roots in the self-respect movement; but now it seems that it has lost all its self-respect in the UPA.’ The question, posed by a reporter at the media interaction after the party’s highlevel committee meet, described in a nutshell party president M. Karunanidhi poor predicament at this moment — rout in elections, daughter in jail and a belligerent rival in the chief minister’s chair ordering probe into his pet Assembly project.

And when cornered in such situations, the DMK patriarch invariably resorted to what always seemed to him as the easiest escape route — Brahmin bashing.

Did the spectrum scam cause the DMK defeat in the polls, asked a scribe.

“It’s not spectrum that defeated the DMK in the elections; it’s due to attempts by some Brahmins,” was the bitter reply.

Mr Karunanidhi repeatedly insisted that the DMK relations with the Congress remained healthy. The problem really was with the CBI, which adopted ‘double standards’ and arrested Kanimozhi when she went to the court responding to summons.

“Legal experts say that the CBI did wrong linking a business transaction (between Kalaignar TV and DB Realty) to spectrum case. The CBI action is condemnable,” said a resolution passed by the DMK high-level committee at the meeting.

The committee meeting, presided over by Mr Karunanidhi, lasted a little over an hour. Though no agenda was mentioned, that it was convened within hours of Kanimozhi’s bail being rejected by the Delhi high court, made its purpose obvious.

The session sprang no surprises as there were indications already that the DMK would growl loud and not dare to bite.

Sources said only Veerapandi Arumugam advocated taking a strong line against the Congress while all the others either kept mum or advised against walking out of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA).

They said some party seniors argued that it would make matters worse if the party gave up even the little protection that the UPA membership gave.

“Even at the state-level, we now have the challenge posed by Jayalalithaa announcing judicial probe into the construction of the new Assembly complex.

It may not be prudent to snap away from United Progressive Alliance at this juncture,” said a DMK senior, speaking on condition of anonymity regarding the committee session.

Given that DMK apparently supported the Kanchi Mutt Swamigals after defeat of Jayalalitha in the last election, was there any support by brahmins in certain districts for DMK? I do not follow Tamil Nadu politics closely but I am curious if the initial good will created lasted through all these years.

In Kumbhakonam the DMK won! Here the brahmins supported DMK! Does this mean that Kumbhakonam Brahmins are Dravidians?

Kalaignyar is correct. It was AIADMK led by the Brahmin Leader Ms. J.Jayalalithaa caused the defeat for DMK in the elections with the support of self respecting citizens of Tamil Nadu. And the DMK leader is not so naive to make the mistake of leaving UPA at this juncture.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Kalaignyar is correct. It was AIADMK led by the Brahmin Leader Ms. J.Jayalalithaa caused the defeat for DMK in the elections with the support of self respecting citizens of Tamil Nadu. And the DMK leader is not so naive to make the mistake of leaving UPA at this juncture.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
Kalainyar takes every opportunity to blame brahmins and brahminism. The moment his government or himself is in trouble, the brahmin is blamed. It is almost like he is surviving by poisoning the minds of the people. But that is history.

I would assume that the youngsters of TN in the twenties especially are not so much caught in this pessimistic ideology of anti-brahminism. It is strange I was wondering why there continues to be anti brahmin rhetoric in TN alone. The answer probably lies with people like Karuna and Ramadoss. Hopefully this state will banish such venomous creatures very soon, atleast the election results ensured that their corrupt children were prosecuted. Karuna once remarked that even Yama cannot kill him( as his name would be immortal in the hearts of tamils).

Such anti-national and casteist people should be jailed right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that DMK apparently supported the Kanchi Mutt Swamigals after defeat of Jayalalitha in the last election, was there any support by brahmins in certain districts for DMK? I do not follow Tamil Nadu politics closely but I am curious if the initial good will created lasted through all these years.

sir, you said it right.. few thoughts came in to my mind. MuKa may be talking about the brahmins in the election commision.

1) why brahmins should portray him as anti-brahmin, when he himself protected and delayed the Kachi trial

2) Even if he talks of anti-brahmin thing in public for political gains, has he done any thing anti brahmin?

3) why we should support Hon CM J.J , when she had the audacity to make Acharyal sit in the bare floor of police station and court hall , and get it telecast in SUN TV.

4) why TB should support JJ. if MuKA is anti brahmin, JJ has proved herself to be anti Tb.

Another bash at brahmins .. for no reason .The DMK should try doing something accountable rather than siphoning off to their accounts , the next time around

It is MK's habit to resort to such obnoxious casteist statements whenever he is cornered. Earlier, when there were demands to investigate the 2G scam and slap cases on Raja, MK complained at a rally that Raja was being targetted only because he was a Dalit. When everything else fails, he responds by giving casteist dimensions to such things.

In Kumbhakonam the DMK won! Here the brahmins supported DMK! Does this mean that Kumbhakonam Brahmins are Dravidians?

The reason why AIADMK could not win in Kumbakonam, I heard, is because the AIADMK candidate Rama Ramanathan is highly disliked in the town. Despite being a Brahmin and sporting a kudumi, he is known to be a notorious rowdy and womanizer. People did not like his hypocrisy, perhaps. Anyway, the DMK lost in most of its strongholds including the neighbouring Thanjavur.

sir, you said it right.. few thoughts came in to my mind. MuKa may be talking about the brahmins in the election commision.

1) why brahmins should portray him as anti-brahmin, when he himself protected and delayed the Kachi trial

2) Even if he talks of anti-brahmin thing in public for political gains, has he done any thing anti brahmin?

3) why we should support Hon CM J.J , when she had the audacity to make Acharyal sit in the bare floor of police station and court hall , and get it telecast in SUN TV.

4) why TB should support JJ. if MuKA is anti brahmin, JJ has proved herself to be anti Tb.

Exactly! :) MKs tenures are often ridden with misgovernance and financial scams while Jayalalithaa's are ridden with arrests and anti-people measures. There isn't much to chose between the two.

Exactly! :) MKs tenures are often ridden with misgovernance and financial scams while Jayalalithaa's are ridden with arrests and anti-people measures. There isn't much to chose between the two.

ravi,

i would only disagree on the 'misgovernance' part.

both, dmk & aidmk, inspite of all their faults, in the past 15 years have been providing progressive and good governance.

this is attested by neutral observers all over. in fact kaliagnar kappu thittam is the most progressive insurance scheme. J is building on top that scheme, and renaming it.

if you approach the poorer sections of the population, almost everyone has benefitted from both the regimes. to the best of my knowledge.

Karunanidhi Says Brahmins were behind the defeat of DMK | TruthDive

ok, here is a view, which says that MK may be right.

according to this magazine, brahmins are overwhelmingly represented in the news media (i have heard this elsewhere too).

is there some truth, to the summary posted at the bottom of the interview?, 'Throughout the interview Mr. Karunanidhi did not hide his dejection with the media men. He is disappointed that despite his easy approach to media and his welfare schemes to media men they show their love only to Jayalalithaa because of the caste affection. It cannot be denied that there is a Brahmin group in every media house who plan misinformation campaign against DMK, twist the news in favour of Jayalalithaa and against Karunanidhi. '

infact, i am one of the few tambrams, who view J's return with some trepidition,in that i did not distribute sweets or shout from the rooftops (my mil in chennai did just that, she is in her late 70s). i cannot understand these guys.

No politician or political party accepts the defeat gracefully. They will find out some extraneous reason for their defeat. Karunanidhi is no different. But I doubt whether he helped Sankaracharya by delaying the case as mentioned by a member. The case is proceeding at the normal speed as indicated in the Kanchi forum. Perhaps Karunanidhi did not show any interest in the case.

As Amma is back, let her proceed on Kanchi's case. Why she is not raising the subject? Most of the insincere political leaders have some phobia or the other. She is frightened of MK and MK is frightened of Brahmins. Is it not time for TN to drive out all these psychopaths?

I hail from Nanganallur outskirts of Chennai,where Brahmin population is concentrated just like Mylapore area.Eventhough,BJP puts up
a good candidate(mostly Brahmins),Brahmin community vote for DMK or AIDMK out of fear of backlash.
It may be possible that Brahmins vote for candidate of their choice only in the constituencies where they are in minority.

If you study the origin of the case of Sankararaman murdercase,you will notice that the initial investigation pointed the finger towards the
Kanchi mutt and DMK issued a challenge to the Govt of the day whether the Govt would be bold enough to initiate action against the Kanchi Mutt.
The Govt had to initiate the case because of pressure from the opposition.Then the natural instinct of M/s JJ to overdo things in her own style
resulted in the happening of susequent events.Another interesting thing happenned.When HH Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal visited his native place and entered the local temple,a false case was foisted on him that he had stolen the Maragatha Lingam by forcing the priests to give false complaints.None from the TB community came forward to give surety to avoid the Sankaracharya being sent to Jail. The local DMK leader who happened to be boyhood friend of Swamiji came to his rescue and stood surety to avoid an embarrassing situation.
Unfortunately,both the DMK and AIDMK formulate their policies only keeping in view what will be the view/reaction of the other party leader.
They are least interested in the real welfare of the people of Tamilnadu.Congress Party has to take blame for regional/statelevel parties gaining strength in almost all the states.They never allowed other opposition parties to grow at National level developing a wrong notion among the people that anyone who is opposing the congress party are anti-National.
When I was in service in New Delhi,I had opportunity to interact with many AIDMK party people who came to Newdelhi for some work ,as the
Liason officerof AIDMK Party(a retd Dy.Secy from Lok Sabha Secretariat)was a good friend of mine.None of them had good opinion about M/s JJ. They used to say that she is an autocrat and will never offer seat to any party functionary,while Thiru.MK allowed everyone in the party to make
money in illegal way and so he is liked by partycadres.
In the year 2000, I happened to visit Bangalore.While travelling in an auto,I was talking in Tamil with my niece.The auto driver seemed to be a tamilian (also a sympathiser of LTTE).He asked me whether I am from Tamilnadu and lamented that MK is not talking the leadership to lead
the Tamils to fight along with LTTE and from Bangalore city alone 50,000 Tamils would be ready to join.I was surprised.

Last edited:
BK,

i am still surprised at the depth of MK's defeat, considering that the state has had rapid development better than any in india (bar gujarat?). and outstanding in public welfare schemes and direct transfer of money to the poor bypassing middlemen.

i think it must be MK's relatives who brought him down. it is well known that kodambakkam film community was against him, thanks to the grandsons and grand nephew.

also here is an interesting story: a few months ago in chennai, on landing at the airport, we rented a tourist cab, and we found it so good, that we used its phone in services for all our uses there, including trip to thirupathi.

apparently this business fell under the radar of one of the dmk family bigwigs, who offered the owner 25 crores cash. the owner did not wish to sell, and went to amma, who suggested he start a socio political caste outfit, and align with her, so that her cadres can give him protection.

i could not believe it, but this news was conveyed to us by one of the owner-drivers of the tourist taxi company, who said that if these guys saw something they liked, they offered cash and woe to someone who refused them.

apparently things are similar in delhi, with some of our national leaders.

goonda raj?

Dear Kunjuppu,

am still surprised at the depth of MK's defeat, considering that the state has had rapid development better than any in india (bar gujarat?). and outstanding in public welfare schemes and direct transfer of money to the poor bypassing middlemen.

Rapid Development: Development, if measured by the yard stick of advertisement, was excellent in Tamilnadu( with MK smiling at you at every nook and corner in flexboards). If one goes by the hard facts, the story is pathetic. While Chennai is suffering staggered power-cut daily the villages go without power for most of the day. We keep our fingers crossed until the Monsoon for the situation to improve and to repair our appliances like refregerator, TV, Washing machine etc. which have burnt coils due to split second tripping surgecurrent and violent voltage fluctuations. The power-cut has become such a bane that the Electricity Minister in MK's cabinet has earned the name "min vettu veerasamy". Wherever there is some good work visible also has a lot of corruption in the back-ground. Take the medical insurance scheme called Kalaignar Kaappeettu thittam. The scheme has been implemented so that there is substantial benefit accruing to the controllers of the Insurance Company which is given the business by Government. It is also said the Insurance Company belongs to people who are connected with the powers that be. So When the poor common man gets his treatment subject to limits the politician's pocket also gets filled up without any limit. The free color tvs supplied has also a similar story. As JJ has said the sum spent for the tvs is less than the amount earned by the cable tv operators who are connected to the powers that be.

Without Electric power there can be no development and in this the DMK Govt has failed miserably.

There is another story about which we can write another page. That is about the PDS(public distribution system) and there is another called sand mafia. No time now. Later possibly.

Last edited:
Karunanidhi Says Brahmins were behind the defeat of DMK | TruthDive

ok, here is a view, which says that MK may be right.

according to this magazine, brahmins are overwhelmingly represented in the news media (i have heard this elsewhere too).

is there some truth, to the summary posted at the bottom of the interview?, 'Throughout the interview Mr. Karunanidhi did not hide his dejection with the media men. He is disappointed that despite his easy approach to media and his welfare schemes to media men they show their love only to Jayalalithaa because of the caste affection. It cannot be denied that there is a Brahmin group in every media house who plan misinformation campaign against DMK, twist the news in favour of Jayalalithaa and against Karunanidhi. '

infact, i am one of the few tambrams, who view J's return with some trepidition,in that i did not distribute sweets or shout from the rooftops (my mil in chennai did just that, she is in her late 70s). i cannot understand these guys.

Dear Kunjuppu,

There is no truth in MK's words. The Tamil Daily Dinakaran claims that it is NO1 in circulation in Tamil Nadu. This daily is owned by MK's family. If what he says is true it would mean that all those who read that daily(majority of common people) are brahmins which is not true.

Karunanidhi is senile and he still lives in his days of Parasakthi filmi dialogue. Much water has flown down the Adyar bridge since then. He still talks in terms of பாசறை, போர் வாள், தானை தலைவன் etc which are all archaic. He knows only two weapons to fight his enemies-one is anti-brahmin rhetoric and the other one is imaginary danger to Tamil language. Both these are worn out beyond shape. He finds it difficult to relate to new realities and the new world in which youngsters do not understand these two worn out topics. His வடக்கு வாழ்கிறது தெற்கு தேய்கிறது rhetoric and பிராமணாள்/அவாள் Vs சூத்ராள்/சாமானியன் cock and bull story does not sell any more. Tamil Brahmins have nothing to gain nor lose by what is happening in Tamilnadu political arena. JJ is not going to be any different when it comes to political corruption, Governance or development of the state. It would be nice if she does not pay any special attention to brahmins. Brahmins in TN want to be left alone to live their life as they choose like other communities of TN.

When HH Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal visited his native place and entered the local temple,a false case was foisted on him that he had stolen the Maragatha [COLOR=#da7911 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#da7911 !important][FONT=inherit !important]Lingam[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] by forcing the priests to give false complaints.None from the TB community came forward to give surety to avoid the Sankaracharya being sent to Jail. The local DMK leader who happened to be boyhood friend of [COLOR=#da7911 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#DA7911 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]Swamiji[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] came to his rescue and stood surety to avoid an embarrassing situation.
I am not the greatest fan of HH JSS . But when the case was hoisted on him, I knew something was fishy. TB mind presents lots and lots of surprises. I am not a frequent visitor of the mutt nor a hardcore follower. For that matter I have critically discussed the teachings of his Guru.

Yet when the cases came up against HH JSS, my mind went along with the principle innocent until proven guilty. This was a carefully considered position considering the fact that JJ was a politician with vendetta and the case was taken forward in this absurd direction with lot of unnecessary actions against the seer. Moreover JJ herself was corrupt and it would not matter if the person against whom this kind of action is taken is wrong or right. If somebody is in her good books she wouldnt take actions no matter how corrupt he is and if he is in her bad books she will take action no matter how innocent he might be. This simple logic should have stuck the TB crowd. But I was amazed by the attitude of our community.

Many orthodox took up the I dont like HH JSS position and quickly gobbled up all the arguments against him. Those who believed in HH were not all that great either. Most kept a steady silence with some scared to even discuss with me over phone- I lived outside TN. This is the cowardliness of the community ( many of whom believed in the innocense of HH) yet we speak about advaita , talk angrily with fellow TB who offer genuine criticism.

Of course the same crowd voted against JJ and the same crowd now voted in favor of JJ. A confused and directionless community I should say. Of all things we are cowardly unlike our brothers at the other end of the coastline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back