• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahminism in current day context

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is brahminism

Sarma Sir,
I am sorry to read your posting. First of all, let me introduce myself as a staunch Vaishnavite slightly elder to you in years. My intention was therefore not to attack brahmanissm and if someone deems it, I can only sympathise with him/her. The problem with those born in brahmin families is that even views which are different from their views are deemed as attack on brahminism and this is nothing but ego problem. As a brahmin, one should not be proud of one`s varna/jati. In fact, scriptures prescribed varnas on the basis of one's profession. Accordingly, there can be different varnas based on the profession they take up depending upon their potentiality/capability. At a later date, unfortunately, people born in brahmin families considered themselves also brahmins irrespective of the profession they take up at a later date for selfish reasons. This practice later has given rise to Brahmin caste/Brahmana jati. According to this practice, to belong to Brahmana jati one should be born in brahmin familiy. According to Varna Brahmin, one should not even save for the next day as he is supposed to live for today having strong faith in God for his protection for the next day. Not only this, he should be living for the welfare of the community as a whole, he should learn and teach what he has learnt, he should take and give Danams in the sense that keeping himself a portion needed for today and give away the rest as Danam. In fact, Varna Brahmin alone is entitled to take and give Danams. Of course only varna brahmin is entitled to take Danam whereas giving danam can be done by Kshatriya and Vaishya also. Last but not the least, brahmin is also expected to do Veda Ahyayanam and to learn advanced meanings due to repetition and by God`s grace. Whatever, I have said above, has been enumerated in Bhagavad Gita & its various commentaries. I apologise for wounding your feelings through my previous post. Namaskarams. bye.

Dear Mr. Iyer,

Your post #91 for reference:

You had mentioned in your post #66 a certain ‘brahminism’ and had exhorted all of us to come out of that cocoon. I want to know more about this cocoon. Can you please tell me what you have understood about brahminism? You have said that culture, religion, value etc exist only in the imaginary realm. It is not clear what you mean by this. Are you saying that they are not physical entities which can be seen or felt?(I don’t think you are so naïve or that you consider me to be so naïve). If not what else is the meaning of your statement? Please enlighten me. “There is no common culture or religion existing among Brahmins”, you have said. If so why are we here in this Tamil Brahmins web site discussing about Brahmins( though most of the time deriding them). What is it that makes us Brahmins/or Iyer? If this is an identity of comfort as you may contend, please tell me what sort of comfort? And for whom? Or is it without any basis? And you have very eloquently said “ If you think as Brahmin you have a unique cultural, Religous identity and value system you are deceiving your own self. Just introspect into yourself and verify if you are being honest and sincere in your pronouncements”. It is not only me majority of the people in the world think they all have unique group identities and so are known by the tags that are attached to them as a group. I am as honest about my view as you would like yourself to be. I will tell you what are the common religious, cultural and moral values which are common among Brahmins after knowing what you have understood of the term brahminism which is your starting point.

About this gem from you, I will give my reply after knowing what is your understanding of Brahmins/brahminism.—“We eat, sleep, wear cloths and live in houses like everyone else. We go for jobs like everyone else. We are after American Dollar like everyone else. We pretend an identity and uniqueness like everyone else. We have conditioned our minds, programmed our thinking like everyone else. We say one thing and do another thing like everyone else”

Cheers.

Dear Mr Raju,

For me brahminism does not exist. When I was born certain things were imposed on me, my mind was programmed and conditioned to believe and practise things i could not comprehend with my limited wisdom and intellect. I mechanically did what was commanded by parents, by so-called brahmin society to please others. At one point of time I realized I am pretending and I am being a hypocrite. I started perceiving my self as a human being and I perceived everyone else as a human being like myself. Externally we are different in color, height etc but internally we are the same. My perception, outlook and many other things changed. I am a human being. That is my identity. Others are human beings like me. That is their identity. The rest are temporal and not worth discussing. Concepts like culture, virtues and values are common to the entire human race. Some practices may differ influenced by circumstances and may vary with time, space etc. They are relative and not absolute.

I trust I have answered your question.

Now you may go ahead and enlighten me. I shall be much obliged.

Regards,
Iyer

Dear Sir,

Am no scholar either.

I agree vedas were learnt by all dvija 'castes'. However we have cases in history where people came to power, formed kingdoms and then took dvija status. So in that sense i agree with some historians like staal who say that vedas may have changed hands. In the sense that it was passed on to different people in different periods of time.

I do agree jainism and buddhism were against vedas and the brahmanical religion. I sincerely do not know how many 'buddhist-brahmins' were actually born in hindu families.

I also do not know how many brahmins converted to jains (have heard of jains converting into brahmins but not vice-versa).

All the same, just because some brahmins became buddhists (or jains), wud that mean Buddhism and Jainism were not anti-brahmanism? Is going against the vedas and brahmanical preachings not considered anti-brahmanism?

Sikhism retained hindu gods (gods are different from brahmins). But Guru Nanak himself was against caste system, empty religious rituals, etc. Maybe one cud say he represented as much anti-brahminism as Narayana Guru of Kerala. Just that Nanak preached a lot more openly (ex: there is a parable of Nanak offering water to his fields after a priest told him he was offering water to the sun, etc)...

So i suppose Buddhism, Janism, Sikhism, do indeed represent anti-brahmanism schools of thot someway or the other.

Regards.

Smt. Happyhindu,

I feel your arithmetic is very simple; hinduism=brahmanism and so buddhism and jainism were against hinduism and so they are definitely against brahmins.

But this is not what I have heard (learnt) from learned persons. I am myself very ignorant and find it really difficult to understand portions of your post like "However we have cases in history where people came to power, formed kingdoms and then took dvija status. So in that sense i agree with some historians like staal who say that vedas may have changed hands. In the sense that it was passed on to different people in different periods of time."

You are definitely a scholar because you can write all these. But who is this staal? never heard of such a historian! Again, many people might have become kings and formed kingdoms and all. But veda teaching remained with brahmins only. If so, how is it that you say "vedas was passed on to different people in different periods of time."

Anyway, I could find the following websites after lot of trouble, and may be these will be of some help:

Brahmin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buddhist Brahmins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Smt. Happyhindu,

I feel your arithmetic is very simple; hinduism=brahmanism and so buddhism and jainism were against hinduism and so they are definitely against brahmins.

But this is not what I have heard (learnt) from learned persons. I am myself very ignorant and find it really difficult to understand portions of your post like "However we have cases in history where people came to power, formed kingdoms and then took dvija status. So in that sense i agree with some historians like staal who say that vedas may have changed hands. In the sense that it was passed on to different people in different periods of time."

You are definitely a scholar because you can write all these. But who is this staal? never heard of such a historian! Again, many people might have become kings and formed kingdoms and all. But veda teaching remained with brahmins only. If so, how is it that you say "vedas was passed on to different people in different periods of time."

Anyway, I could find the following websites after lot of trouble, and may be these will be of some help:

Brahmin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buddhist Brahmins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sarma-61,

[Request - I request all posters to drop the Dear, Smt, Shri, Shrimati, Ji, while addressing me. Please address me as just happyhindu, happy, or hh. I too will be referring to you with just your username].

As already requested to Sangom previously, i request you to do away with references to scholarship, personal references to a poster and such stuff. There is no point in making such statements.

Nowhere have i said hinduism = brahmanism. Infact i feel hinduism can thrive very well without brahmanism and have said so earlier also.

I do not know what you mean veda teaching remained with brahmins only. Maybe some also believe they were created by brahma, instead of a natural delivery from parents of various tribal origins in the tribal times to the present day.

Staal refers to Frits Staal.

If you go thru old posts you can find discussions on all the points you have raised in your post. So i feel repeating such topics is not necessary, unless you bring out something new.

I suppose the context of our posts presently is about Jainism and Buddhism.

Have started reading up jaina and buddhist literature only of late. And do not know much. So far i understand both jainism and buddhism are essentially against brahmanism or the brahmanical religion of offering sacrifices. If you think Jainism and Buddhism are pro-brahmanism, i wud be glad to hear your basis for the same.

Regards.

To add to my post #103 :I want to be loved. For this I need to love others. So I love others. I get love in return. The formula is simple. What you sow, so you reap. Sow Love and reap love. Then the world will be a lovely place to live. Regards, Iyer.

Dear Mr Raju,

For me brahminism does not exist. When I was born certain things were imposed on me, my mind was programmed and conditioned to believe and practise things i could not comprehend with my limited wisdom and intellect. I mechanically did what was commanded by parents, by so-called brahmin society to please others. At one point of time I realized I am pretending and I am being a hypocrite. I started perceiving my self as a human being and I perceived everyone else as a human being like myself. Externally we are different in color, height etc but internally we are the same. My perception, outlook and many other things changed. I am a human being. That is my identity. Others are human beings like me. That is their identity. The rest are temporal and not worth discussing. Concepts like culture, virtues and values are common to the entire human race. Some practices may differ influenced by circumstances and may vary with time, space etc. They are relative and not absolute.

I trust I have answered your question.

Now you may go ahead and enlighten me. I shall be much obliged.

Regards,
Iyer

You appear to be already enlightened, although I still couldnt figure out the cocoon part.
I appreciate the qualifier you used in the opening statement.

Dear Mr Iyer,

Your post #103:

You have partly answered me. If you think there is no brahminism that is fine with me. I have been saying the same thing here all along. In your post reproduced above, rest of what you have stated is all about your perception of the society based on certain personal experiences that you have gone through. That too is ok with me because it is how you feel and I have nothing to say on that. But some of the questions that I raised on your earlier post remain not answered yet. (1)What are the identities called culture, religion and values according to you. You have said they are imaginery which I am unable to understand. They are no doubt abstract but they are real as far as I know. Please let me know more on this (2)You have said the identity of brahmin is just a comfort and I had asked what sort of comfort. Also comfort for whom. Please let me know.(3)I had said this It is not only me majority of the people in the world think they all have unique group identities and so are known by the tags that are attached to them as a group. Please tell me what you think about this.

I am only trying to understand your view point clearly before having a conversation with you.

Cheers.

Dear Mr. Iyer,

your post #107:

To add to my post #103 :I want to be loved. For this I need to love others. So I love others. I get love in return. The formula is simple. What you sow, so you reap. Sow Love and reap love. Then the world will be a lovely place to live. Regards, Iyer

There is another way of looking at love. We love because love is just beautiful, pleasant and is satisfying. It is itself the reward. Even if we do not get love in return from others we do love them because of these reasons only. So love can not be factored into any mathematical equation. Many a time we do not reap what we sow. We lose totally whatever we sow and start all over again. Instead of saying sow love and reap love it would be better to say sow unconditional love and enjoy the experience.

Cheers.

Dear Mr. Iyer, your post #107:There is another way of looking at love. We love because love is just beautiful, pleasant and is satisfying. It is itself the reward. Even if we do not get love in return from others we do love them because of these reasons only. So love can not be factored into any mathematical equation. Many a time we do not reap what we sow. We lose totally whatever we sow and start all over again. Instead of saying sow love and reap love it would be better to say sow unconditional love and enjoy the experience.Cheers.
Dear Mr. Raju,Everything is fair in Eternity. You certainly reap what you sow. If you did not reap what you sowed, then there is something wrong with you. You are trying to reap the harvest at the wrong place. When you expect reward from the world you are certain to be disillusioned. You need to change your perception. When you love your fellow human beings whom you see with your natural eye, you are simultaneously loving someone whom you cannot see with your natural eye. Your harvest comes from the one who you cannot see with your natural eye. When you love, you are already rewarded. I have answered every question of yours in a nutshell in the other post. You are more intelligent, erudite than I and hence you would have certainly discerned. Now it is up to you to answer my questions to you. What is 'Brahmin Culture', 'Brahmin values' etc etc that are Brahmin and makes a Brahmin most superior and super human? May I also know why all roads are leading to West and not to a land of Brahmins?Regards,Iyer.

Dear Mr. Iyer,

Your post #110:

Thank you for the nice words you have said about me. But only because I did not understand your view point clearly from your post I had put a few questions. Now that you left it to me, I will attempt a brief (only brief) கேள்வியும் எனதே பதிலும் எனதே effort.

I believe brahmins have a certain unique cultural values such as specific food habits. For instance I spent my childhood in a small village where we had a brahmin street called agraharam which had just about 60 houses. None of the brahmins who lived in these houses ever ate meat. You may say that there would have been people in other streets also who did not eat meat. Yes they were there but in their families some members were meat eaters and some were not. So I take it that it was a personal choice of that individual and not an ingrained value in their value system. The brahmins could have easily reared a few sheeps/goats and could have eaten them. But they never did that though many of them were abysmally poor. I even remember a family which depended on the alms given by other households in the street. Every day the young boy (10 years old) who was my classmate used come with a vessel, come inside my house as well as other houses and just say "bhavathi bikshandehi". My mother would give him a part of the food cooked for us. The boy of course studied well and became a well known figure in the film industry in Chennai later.

As I said I am going to be brief I stop with this just one case. There are many such values which have formed the value system of each brahmin. Many of them are common to the community as a whole and that is what I call brahmins' value system.

And good heavens! we do not say brahmins are super human or that others are inferior.

Do all roads lead to west? Thank you for the info.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I dont quite understand your stabbing here. Sorry, I am not what you think I am. Could be an easy pick.
dear ozone !
i am feeling sorry that you are hurt by remarks. my intentionis to say that whether word or company ,the meaning will be the same .
cheers
guruvayurappan

Sarma-61,

[Request - I request all posters to drop the Dear, Smt, Shri, Shrimati, Ji, while addressing me. Please address me as just happyhindu, happy, or hh. I too will be referring to you with just your username].

As already requested to Sangom previously, i request you to do away with references to scholarship, personal references to a poster and such stuff. There is no point in making such statements.

Nowhere have i said hinduism = brahmanism. Infact i feel hinduism can thrive very well without brahmanism and have said so earlier also.

I do not know what you mean veda teaching remained with brahmins only. Maybe some also believe they were created by brahma, instead of a natural delivery from parents of various tribal origins in the tribal times to the present day.

Staal refers to Frits Staal.

If you go thru old posts you can find discussions on all the points you have raised in your post. So i feel repeating such topics is not necessary, unless you bring out something new.

I suppose the context of our posts presently is about Jainism and Buddhism.

Have started reading up jaina and buddhist literature only of late. And do not know much. So far i understand both jainism and buddhism are essentially against brahmanism or the brahmanical religion of offering sacrifices. If you think Jainism and Buddhism are pro-brahmanism, i wud be glad to hear your basis for the same.

Regards.
hh,

hinduism is what started with the vedas, flowed through various subsequent stages (some of which are evident, others are not known to us)

and has ended with vedanta and its few branches. This is my understanding of hinduism. Brahmins played a very important role in most of the

developments, imo, as can be seen from the purushaukta in the last book of the rigveda making it clear that there were four castes, these castes

were created by divine plan, etc. Subsequently, the sutras (srauta, grihya) cemented the rules for different castes and their duties. Teaching of

veda was to be done only by brahmins, (and that is why I say veda teaching remained with brahmins only) though veda learning was permitted

for brahmins, kshatriyas and vaisyas.

brahmanism as I have written elsewhere, is the sum total of the way of life of brahmins. Since there are many different kinds or groups of

brahmins, there are different types of brahminism. But brahminism is not hinduism; it (hinduism or hindu religion) is much much wider. Nevertheless, hinduism could not have survived so long without brahmins.

I cannot just go through all the old posts here. So, sorry, unless you answer the points afresh for me, I will treat the matters as closed.

I have given two references to web pages which give the prominent brahmins in buddhism and jainism. You seem to have neglected to see

those but want to read up jaina and buddhist literature and thus touch the nose circling the head! That is your choice.
You say "brahmanical religion of offering sacrifices"; I feel that religion was/is hinudism, in essence and not brahmanism. Brahmins were

priests who were experienced in performing those yagas (just as the "aiyaru" or vaadhyaar today is experienced in performing some homams,

havans and other things, including the various prescribed "samskaaraas" for the three castes (brahmin, kshtriya and vaisya). I am also told by

learned people that anyone including a sudra could have sacrifices (yagas) performed on his behalf by the brahmins. Again, not all brahmins

could go and venture to do some yaagam. Only those with the prescribed qualifications for the different kinds of sacrificial priests like hotru,

adhvaryu, udgaatru, brahman and the assistants for these, could officiate in those categories. The vast majority of brahmins were not so

qualified and they had to live out of the daanams given by royal kings and nobles, etc. Then there were sattras, extending even up to a year;

these provided meals, place to stay and year-long pravachanams on religious topics by eminent personalities generically called "sootha" in

Mahabharata. Such sattras also benefitted the run-of-the mill brahmin. buddhism and jainism were against animal sacrifice in yaagams but in

view of what I have explained above, their opposition was only to the animals being killed, not to the other aspects of yaagams, nor to

brahmins and brahminism.

Since you have not possibly looked at the web pages I gave, (so it appears from your post under reply) may I give the list of famous

personalities of brahmin origin in buddhism and jainism, for information of readers in general who may not like to start reading jaina and

buddhist literature for the purpose?
Jainism

* The first convert of Mahavira, the 24th Tirthankara of Jainism was Indrabhuti (aka Gautamswami) the Brahmin, who headed a group of

other Brahmins and converted them to Jainism. He was from the village Gobbar (also called Govarya) near Rajgriha. It is said that at the sight of

Gautama, the tapsas who were competing with him to reach the top of a hill once, by seeing the winner Gautama at the top, achieved moksha.

[34]
* Sajjambhava was another born from Rajgriha and was elected the head of the Jain temple. He is famous for his composition of the

"Dasavaikalika Sutra."
* Acharya Vidyanand is a Brahmin of the Dhigambar Jain sect and compiled in the Sanskrit language, "Ashta Shahastri" with eight thousand

verses.
* Acharya Shushil Kumar, known better to Jains as "Guruji", was born a Vaidik in the Shakarpur village of the Haryana province. At the age

of 15, he took Diksha (became a sanyassin) into the Sthanakvasi, a Swhetambara sub-sect.
* There is also a story about a wealthy Brahmin named Dhangiri in the town of Tumbhivan, who, when heard the sermons of the Jain

Acharya Sinhgiri, while he regularly listened to but later lost his interest in wealth and decided to take the Diksha.
* Umasvati was a composer who was so loved by Jains that he is considered by the Dhigambar sect to be a Dhigambar member and the

Svetambara sect to be a Svetambara member.
* Akalanka of the 8th century is saod to the poineer in rthe field of Jain logic.[35]

Buddhist Brahmins

Brahmin Buddhists were disciples of the Buddha and mentioned in the Dhammapada where he dedicated an entire chapter to them called

"Brahmana-Vagga"[1]. However what differentiated them from Hindu Brahmins was the fact that they were also experts in Buddha Dharma

and had to subscribe to the highest moral code as described by the Buddha. Therefore the emphasis was not merely placed on lineage by birth

but also expertise in Buddha-Dharma and being exemplary in conduct. In verse 422 of the Dhammapada, The Buddha stated "He who is noble,

heroic, a great sage, passionless, pure and enlightened -- him I call a (Buddhist) Brahman".

Noted Brahmin Buddhists

Most of the best known Buddhist visionaries throughout history were Brahmin Buddhists. They include the Buddha's successor Vasubandhu

and his key disciples Sariputra[2] and Mahakasyapa, the founders of Mahayana Buddhism -- Nagarjuna[3] and Asvaghosa[4], the great reformer

of Theravada Buddhism -- Buddhaghosa, the founder of Vajrayana Buddhism Padmasambhava who is also the founder of Tibetan Buddhism;

Shantideva -- the author of 'the Way of the Bodhisattva'; the founder of Zen Buddhism and Kung Fu Bodhidharma and Kumarajiva both of

whom brought Buddhism to China and beyond; the great debater of Milinda Panha Nagasena the mentor of Ashoka himself Manjushri and the

one who brought him to Buddhism - Radhaswamy; and the great scholars of Nalanda like Aryadeva and Shantarakshita -- one of the acclaimed

Kashmiri Pandits who regularly taught the best of both Buddhist and Hindu doctrine together.

Brahmins feature extensively in Buddhist canonical texts i.e. the Tripitaka, and are found among the chief disciples of the Buddha. The

Brahmana Varga (section on Brahmins) contained in the Dhammapada lists down the Buddha's views on Brahmins[5]

Peter Masefield writes, "The canonical texts show the early Buddhists seeking their sustenance mostly from brahmin families, and the

dhamma-cakkhu (the insight into the Four Truths) that led to liberation was given almost exclusively to men of brahmin descent."[6]

Scholar Asim Chatterjee goes further to write, "No one can deny that the Brahmin pupils of Gautama had save the Sangha in its hour of peril.

The rebellion of Devadatta was foiled by Sariputta, and after the demise of the teacher, Mahakassapa, by convening the first council, at

Rajagrha, practically rescued the entire Buddhist Sangha from sinking into oblivion."[7]

"The canonical texts show the early Buddhists seeking their sustenance mostly from brahmin families, and the dhamma-cakkhu (the insight

into the Four Truths) that led to liberation was given almost exclusively to men of brahmin descent."[6]

"Also brahmans appear to have been taken up; but they were the distinguished representatives of a cultured laity - a secular strata of nobles

who formed the majority of Buddha's disciples."[8]

Also a Buddhist layman Jayadeva of Bihar was imprisoned when a Buddhist learning centre Odantapuri was attacked, and so had advised a

group of Buddhist monks in Nalanda of the Islamist attack threat to Nalanda and helped them flee for safety.[9]
[edit] List of Great Brahmin Bhikshus

* Amoghavajra[10], born in Central Asia to a father of North India and a mother of Samarkhand
* Asvaghosa (wrote the 'Buddhacharita' and is considered along with Nagarjuna to have founded the Mahayana). His philosophy was favored

in the court of King Kanishka.
* Atapa
* Bakula[11]
* Bhitka (Buddha's fifth successor)
* Chandragomin[12] from Bengal
* Cuda Panthaka[13]
* Dharmaruchi[14], from Tamil Nadu, spread the dharma in China
* Dharmottara[15] from Kashmir
* Dhitika from Ujjayini, converted King Minara of Tukhara (modern-day Kashgar) and his son Imhasa, the Brahmin Siddha of Kamarupa, the

Brahmin Adarpa of Malava[16]
* Dignaga
* Gautama Dharmaprajna[17], from Varanasi, went to China to preach the dharma and was appointed governor of Yan-sen district[18]
* Gopaka[13]
* Guhyashila[19]
* Harita[20] (wrote the "Harita Dharmasutra")
* Humkara[21]
* Jnanadharma[22]
* Jnanasrimitra[23], wrote the Vajrayana-dvau-antau-vikasana
* Kacanna[24]
* Kamashila (Kashmiri Pandit)
* Kalika[13]
* Kumarajiva (was imprisoned in China for spreading Buddhism)
* Kanaka (Yamantaka Tantra)
* Kukuraja[25]
* Manjushri (The mentor of Asoka)[26]
* Majnushrimitra[27]
* Nagasena[28]
* Narpola [Naropa](student of Tipola/tilopa]
* Padma (woman)
* Palden Dekyong[29]
* Pingala-Koccha (preached to the Buddha the Cūlasāropama Sutta, after which he became a dedicated student of the Buddha)
* Radhasvami (another mentor of Asoka)[26]
* Ratnavajra[30] from Kashmir
* Sahara/saraha (master of Tipola/Tilopa)
* Sariputra
* Shankarananda, wrote several scriptural commentaries[31]
* Shantideva
* Shantarakshita (Kashmiri Pandit)
* Sharmakirti[32]
* Subha
* Subhadra
* Tipola [Tilopa](Mahasiddha, from Chatigava in modern-day Bangladesh)[33]
* Vajrabodhi[34]
* Vakkali
* Vanavasi[13]
* Vinitaruchi[35], from South India who went to China to spread the dharma

[edit] List of Other Contributing Brahmin Bhikshus

* Bhadrapalita[36], converted by Dignaga, was the tresry minister to an Oriya king, and founded sixteen viharas
* Jaya, built a Buddhist temple at Varanasi[37]
* Kalyana, build Buddhist teple Gandhola of Vajrasana with the Mahabodhi on it[38]
* Sujaya, built a Buddhist temle in Venuvana within Rajagrha[39]

[edit] List of Brahmin Bodhisattvas

* Aryadeva (successor of Nagarjuna)
* Asangha (from Hinayana sect and Peshwar city founded the Yogacarya and established the Classical age of Buddhism)
* Nagasena (the famous teacher of the milindapanha)
* Brahmadatta
* Nagarjuna (founded the Shunyata concept and considered along with Asvaghosa to have founded the Mahayana)
* Vasubandhu (Brother of Asanga and one of founders of the yogacara school - only historical Buddhist to be called the 'second Buddha')
* Dignaga (5th century Buddhist logician from Kanchipuram)
* Dharmakirti (7th century Buddhist logician from Andhra)
* Buddhaghosa (5th century Pali scholar who led the revival of the Theravaada)
* Kusanda Buddha
* Konagamana Buddha
* Kasyapsa Buddha
* Kshitagarbha
* Padmasambhava (founder of Vajrayana Buddhism)

Some at least of the above long lists would have been brahmins by birth, I feel.

Fritz Staal does not seem to be a historian but more interested in yagas, yajnas and things like those. Is it possible to provide the context in which hesays the vedas changed hands?

Dear Mr. Iyer,

Your post #110:

Thank you for the nice words you have said about me. But only because I did not understand your view point clearly from your post I had put a few questions. Now that you left it to me, I will attempt a brief (only brief) கேள்வியும் எனதே பதிலும் எனதே effort.

I believe brahmins have a certain unique cultural values such as specific food habits. For instance I spent my childhood in a small village where we had a brahmin street called agraharam which had just about 60 houses. None of the brahmins who lived in these houses ever ate meat. You may say that there would have been people in other streets also who did not eat meat. Yes they were there but in their families some members were meat eaters and some were not. So I take it that it was a personal choice of that individual and not an ingrained value in their value system. The brahmins could have easily reared a few sheeps/goats and could have eaten them. But they never did that though many of them were abysmally poor. I even remember a family which depended on the alms given by other households in the street. Every day the young boy (10 years old) who was my classmate used come with a vessel, come inside my house as well as other houses and just say "bhavathi bikshandehi". My mother would give him a part of the food cooked for us. The boy of course studied well and became a well known figure in the film industry in Chennai later.

As I said I am going to be brief I stop with this just one case. There are many such values which have formed the value system of each brahmin. Many of them are common to the community as a whole and that is what I call brahmins' value system.

And good heavens! we do not say brahmins are super human or that others are inferior.

Do all roads lead to west? Thank you for the info.

Cheers.

Dear Mr. Raju,

Long before you posted this I knew this is what you are going to come up with. Abstaining from meat is one apparently distinct element found in the so-called brahmins and brahmins seem to pride on this one element. Even this is fading among the so-called-brahmins. Vegetarianism seems to be the only distinguishing factor and sadly it seems to be the only defining factor in the so-called-current-day-brahmins. The ridiculous thing here is you call Vegetarianism a Value, cultural value, value system etc etc. Vegetarianism is not a belonging of the Brahmins.

Everyone in general and brahmins in particular seem to be confused about the words culture, value, cultural value, value system etc etc. These terms and terminologies are suffering a lot in the mouths of people. People freely use these terms realizing little their significance. Anything and everything a people group practise is being defended using these terms.

Here I wish to quote the words of Jesus, "It is not that which goes inside through the mouth which defiles a man, but that which comes out through the mouth of men. For, that which goes inside throught the mouth, goes into the belly and is cast out. But that which comes out, the blasphemies, etc etc defile a man".

Food is one element where the Bagwad Gita miserably failed. I have met meat eaters who are humble, polite, calm, composed, kind, merciful, gracious in speach, who are of sound character and conduct. I have also met so-called-brahmins who never touched meat and yet are crooked, perverted, guile, arrogant, proud, conceited, ego-centered etc.

What is needed in a man is Character and Conduct. Vegetarian food does not guarantee that. Mastering Sanskrit language, Vedas, Upanishads, Gita does not guarantee that. Waxing eloquent on so-called-hindu scriptures does not guarantee that. Performing Sandhyavandhanam religously, reciting the Sahasranamams regulary, observing austere severities, performing the gayatri japa, madi, pathu, acharam does not guarantee that. Living huddled iin Agraharams in yesteryears served a purpose. But that purpose does not exist. Neither does it guarantee sound character and conduct. I was born in the 60s, raised as a so-called-brahmin in Saibaba Colony, Coimbatore which was 100% agraharam. Unfortunately that did not build character or conduct in me. I am descended from a long line of priests which also did not build character and conduct. My cousins who started their priestly career with motorcycle and mobile phones, who have made a fortune in their profession, don't hesitate to compromise and trade character and conduct for anything that would safegaurd their priestly career. This is brahminism in the current day context.

In the yester centuries, the term Iyer was valued and was used to address those who taught the scriptures. The Tamil word Aasiriyar became aayar in due course and eventually ended up as Iyer. The term Iyer has little value other than just a surname.

And yes indeed, all roads lead to the West and brahmins are not exempt.

Regards,
Iyer

Dear Mr. Raju,Everything is fair in Eternity. You certainly reap what you sow. If you did not reap what you sowed, then there is something wrong with you. You are trying to reap the harvest at the wrong place. When you expect reward from the world you are certain to be disillusioned. You need to change your perception. When you love your fellow human beings whom you see with your natural eye, you are simultaneously loving someone whom you cannot see with your natural eye. Your harvest comes from the one who you cannot see with your natural eye. When you love, you are already rewarded. I have answered every question of yours in a nutshell in the other post. You are more intelligent, erudite than I and hence you would have certainly discerned. Now it is up to you to answer my questions to you. What is 'Brahmin Culture', 'Brahmin values' etc etc that are Brahmin and makes a Brahmin most superior and super human? May I also know why all roads are leading to West and not to a land of Brahmins?Regards,Iyer.

dear iyer !
I am very much moved by you answer to MR.Raju particularly the sentence ".If you did not reap what you sowed, then there is something wrong with you. You are trying to reap the harvest at the wrong place "
guruvayuarappan

Dear Mr. Raju,

Long before you posted this I knew this is what you are going to come up with. Abstaining from meat is one apparently distinct element found in the so-called brahmins and brahmins seem to pride on this one element. Even this is fading among the so-called-brahmins. Vegetarianism seems to be the only distinguishing factor and sadly it seems to be the only defining factor in the so-called-current-day-brahmins. The ridiculous thing here is you call Vegetarianism a Value, cultural value, value system etc etc. Vegetarianism is not a belonging of the Brahmins.

Everyone in general and brahmins in particular seem to be confused about the words culture, value, cultural value, value system etc etc. These terms and terminologies are suffering a lot in the mouths of people. People freely use these terms realizing little their significance. Anything and everything a people group practise is being defended using these terms.

Here I wish to quote the words of Jesus, "It is not that which goes inside through the mouth which defiles a man, but that which comes out through the mouth of men. For, that which goes inside throught the mouth, goes into the belly and is cast out. But that which comes out, the blasphemies, etc etc defile a man".

Food is one element where the Bagwad Gita miserably failed. I have met meat eaters who are humble, polite, calm, composed, kind, merciful, gracious in speach, who are of sound character and conduct. I have also met so-called-brahmins who never touched meat and yet are crooked, perverted, guile, arrogant, proud, conceited, ego-centered etc.

What is needed in a man is Character and Conduct. Vegetarian food does not guarantee that. Mastering Sanskrit language, Vedas, Upanishads, Gita does not guarantee that. Waxing eloquent on so-called-hindu scriptures does not guarantee that. Performing Sandhyavandhanam religously, reciting the Sahasranamams regulary, observing austere severities, performing the gayatri japa, madi, pathu, acharam does not guarantee that. Living huddled iin Agraharams in yesteryears served a purpose. But that purpose does not exist. Neither does it guarantee sound character and conduct. I was born in the 60s, raised as a so-called-brahmin in Saibaba Colony, Coimbatore which was 100% agraharam. Unfortunately that did not build character or conduct in me. I am descended from a long line of priests which also did not build character and conduct. My cousins who started their priestly career with motorcycle and mobile phones, who have made a fortune in their profession, don't hesitate to compromise and trade character and conduct for anything that would safegaurd their priestly career. This is brahminism in the current day context.

In the yester centuries, the term Iyer was valued and was used to address those who taught the scriptures. The Tamil word Aasiriyar became aayar in due course and eventually ended up as Iyer. The term Iyer has little value other than just a surname.

And yes indeed, all roads lead to the West and brahmins are not exempt.

Regards,
Iyer
dear iyer !
what you wrote is known to all persons in brahmins community. but who is iyer or brahmin in your concept ? kindly give some practice which you feel as Brahmanism(definitely
you would have given some suggestion to your priest friends ).
guruvayurappan

hh,

hinduism is what started with the vedas, flowed through various subsequent stages (some of which are evident, others are not known to us)

and has ended with vedanta and its few branches. This is my understanding of hinduism. Brahmins played a very important role in most of the

developments, imo, as can be seen from the purushaukta in the last book of the rigveda making it clear that there were four castes, these castes

were created by divine plan, etc. Subsequently, the sutras (srauta, grihya) cemented the rules for different castes and their duties. Teaching of

veda was to be done only by brahmins, (and that is why I say veda teaching remained with brahmins only) though veda learning was permitted

for brahmins, kshatriyas and vaisyas.

brahmanism as I have written elsewhere, is the sum total of the way of life of brahmins. Since there are many different kinds or groups of

brahmins, there are different types of brahminism. But brahminism is not hinduism; it (hinduism or hindu religion) is much much wider. Nevertheless, hinduism could not have survived so long without brahmins.

I cannot just go through all the old posts here. So, sorry, unless you answer the points afresh for me, I will treat the matters as closed.

I have given two references to web pages which give the prominent brahmins in buddhism and jainism. You seem to have neglected to see

those but want to read up jaina and buddhist literature and thus touch the nose circling the head! That is your choice.
You say "brahmanical religion of offering sacrifices"; I feel that religion was/is hinudism, in essence and not brahmanism. Brahmins were

priests who were experienced in performing those yagas (just as the "aiyaru" or vaadhyaar today is experienced in performing some homams,

havans and other things, including the various prescribed "samskaaraas" for the three castes (brahmin, kshtriya and vaisya). I am also told by

learned people that anyone including a sudra could have sacrifices (yagas) performed on his behalf by the brahmins. Again, not all brahmins

could go and venture to do some yaagam. Only those with the prescribed qualifications for the different kinds of sacrificial priests like hotru,

adhvaryu, udgaatru, brahman and the assistants for these, could officiate in those categories. The vast majority of brahmins were not so

qualified and they had to live out of the daanams given by royal kings and nobles, etc. Then there were sattras, extending even up to a year;

these provided meals, place to stay and year-long pravachanams on religious topics by eminent personalities generically called "sootha" in

Mahabharata. Such sattras also benefitted the run-of-the mill brahmin. buddhism and jainism were against animal sacrifice in yaagams but in

view of what I have explained above, their opposition was only to the animals being killed, not to the other aspects of yaagams, nor to

brahmins and brahminism.

Since you have not possibly looked at the web pages I gave, (so it appears from your post under reply) may I give the list of famous

personalities of brahmin origin in buddhism and jainism, for information of readers in general who may not like to start reading jaina and

buddhist literature for the purpose?
Jainism

* The first convert of Mahavira, the 24th Tirthankara of Jainism was Indrabhuti (aka Gautamswami) the Brahmin, who headed a group of

other Brahmins and converted them to Jainism. He was from the village Gobbar (also called Govarya) near Rajgriha. It is said that at the sight of

Gautama, the tapsas who were competing with him to reach the top of a hill once, by seeing the winner Gautama at the top, achieved moksha.

[34]
* Sajjambhava was another born from Rajgriha and was elected the head of the Jain temple. He is famous for his composition of the

"Dasavaikalika Sutra."
* Acharya Vidyanand is a Brahmin of the Dhigambar Jain sect and compiled in the Sanskrit language, "Ashta Shahastri" with eight thousand

verses.
* Acharya Shushil Kumar, known better to Jains as "Guruji", was born a Vaidik in the Shakarpur village of the Haryana province. At the age

of 15, he took Diksha (became a sanyassin) into the Sthanakvasi, a Swhetambara sub-sect.
* There is also a story about a wealthy Brahmin named Dhangiri in the town of Tumbhivan, who, when heard the sermons of the Jain

Acharya Sinhgiri, while he regularly listened to but later lost his interest in wealth and decided to take the Diksha.
* Umasvati was a composer who was so loved by Jains that he is considered by the Dhigambar sect to be a Dhigambar member and the

Svetambara sect to be a Svetambara member.
* Akalanka of the 8th century is saod to the poineer in rthe field of Jain logic.[35]

Buddhist Brahmins

Brahmin Buddhists were disciples of the Buddha and mentioned in the Dhammapada where he dedicated an entire chapter to them called

"Brahmana-Vagga"[1]. However what differentiated them from Hindu Brahmins was the fact that they were also experts in Buddha Dharma

and had to subscribe to the highest moral code as described by the Buddha. Therefore the emphasis was not merely placed on lineage by birth

but also expertise in Buddha-Dharma and being exemplary in conduct. In verse 422 of the Dhammapada, The Buddha stated "He who is noble,

heroic, a great sage, passionless, pure and enlightened -- him I call a (Buddhist) Brahman".

Noted Brahmin Buddhists

Most of the best known Buddhist visionaries throughout history were Brahmin Buddhists. They include the Buddha's successor Vasubandhu

and his key disciples Sariputra[2] and Mahakasyapa, the founders of Mahayana Buddhism -- Nagarjuna[3] and Asvaghosa[4], the great reformer

of Theravada Buddhism -- Buddhaghosa, the founder of Vajrayana Buddhism Padmasambhava who is also the founder of Tibetan Buddhism;

Shantideva -- the author of 'the Way of the Bodhisattva'; the founder of Zen Buddhism and Kung Fu Bodhidharma and Kumarajiva both of

whom brought Buddhism to China and beyond; the great debater of Milinda Panha Nagasena the mentor of Ashoka himself Manjushri and the

one who brought him to Buddhism - Radhaswamy; and the great scholars of Nalanda like Aryadeva and Shantarakshita -- one of the acclaimed

Kashmiri Pandits who regularly taught the best of both Buddhist and Hindu doctrine together.

Brahmins feature extensively in Buddhist canonical texts i.e. the Tripitaka, and are found among the chief disciples of the Buddha. The

Brahmana Varga (section on Brahmins) contained in the Dhammapada lists down the Buddha's views on Brahmins[5]

Peter Masefield writes, "The canonical texts show the early Buddhists seeking their sustenance mostly from brahmin families, and the

dhamma-cakkhu (the insight into the Four Truths) that led to liberation was given almost exclusively to men of brahmin descent."[6]

Scholar Asim Chatterjee goes further to write, "No one can deny that the Brahmin pupils of Gautama had save the Sangha in its hour of peril.

The rebellion of Devadatta was foiled by Sariputta, and after the demise of the teacher, Mahakassapa, by convening the first council, at

Rajagrha, practically rescued the entire Buddhist Sangha from sinking into oblivion."[7]

"The canonical texts show the early Buddhists seeking their sustenance mostly from brahmin families, and the dhamma-cakkhu (the insight

into the Four Truths) that led to liberation was given almost exclusively to men of brahmin descent."[6]

"Also brahmans appear to have been taken up; but they were the distinguished representatives of a cultured laity - a secular strata of nobles

who formed the majority of Buddha's disciples."[8]

Also a Buddhist layman Jayadeva of Bihar was imprisoned when a Buddhist learning centre Odantapuri was attacked, and so had advised a

group of Buddhist monks in Nalanda of the Islamist attack threat to Nalanda and helped them flee for safety.[9]
[edit] List of Great Brahmin Bhikshus

* Amoghavajra[10], born in Central Asia to a father of North India and a mother of Samarkhand
* Asvaghosa (wrote the 'Buddhacharita' and is considered along with Nagarjuna to have founded the Mahayana). His philosophy was favored

in the court of King Kanishka.
* Atapa
* Bakula[11]
* Bhitka (Buddha's fifth successor)
* Chandragomin[12] from Bengal
* Cuda Panthaka[13]
* Dharmaruchi[14], from Tamil Nadu, spread the dharma in China
* Dharmottara[15] from Kashmir
* Dhitika from Ujjayini, converted King Minara of Tukhara (modern-day Kashgar) and his son Imhasa, the Brahmin Siddha of Kamarupa, the

Brahmin Adarpa of Malava[16]
* Dignaga
* Gautama Dharmaprajna[17], from Varanasi, went to China to preach the dharma and was appointed governor of Yan-sen district[18]
* Gopaka[13]
* Guhyashila[19]
* Harita[20] (wrote the "Harita Dharmasutra")
* Humkara[21]
* Jnanadharma[22]
* Jnanasrimitra[23], wrote the Vajrayana-dvau-antau-vikasana
* Kacanna[24]
* Kamashila (Kashmiri Pandit)
* Kalika[13]
* Kumarajiva (was imprisoned in China for spreading Buddhism)
* Kanaka (Yamantaka Tantra)
* Kukuraja[25]
* Manjushri (The mentor of Asoka)[26]
* Majnushrimitra[27]
* Nagasena[28]
* Narpola [Naropa](student of Tipola/tilopa]
* Padma (woman)
* Palden Dekyong[29]
* Pingala-Koccha (preached to the Buddha the Cūlasāropama Sutta, after which he became a dedicated student of the Buddha)
* Radhasvami (another mentor of Asoka)[26]
* Ratnavajra[30] from Kashmir
* Sahara/saraha (master of Tipola/Tilopa)
* Sariputra
* Shankarananda, wrote several scriptural commentaries[31]
* Shantideva
* Shantarakshita (Kashmiri Pandit)
* Sharmakirti[32]
* Subha
* Subhadra
* Tipola [Tilopa](Mahasiddha, from Chatigava in modern-day Bangladesh)[33]
* Vajrabodhi[34]
* Vakkali
* Vanavasi[13]
* Vinitaruchi[35], from South India who went to China to spread the dharma

[edit] List of Other Contributing Brahmin Bhikshus

* Bhadrapalita[36], converted by Dignaga, was the tresry minister to an Oriya king, and founded sixteen viharas
* Jaya, built a Buddhist temple at Varanasi[37]
* Kalyana, build Buddhist teple Gandhola of Vajrasana with the Mahabodhi on it[38]
* Sujaya, built a Buddhist temle in Venuvana within Rajagrha[39]

[edit] List of Brahmin Bodhisattvas

* Aryadeva (successor of Nagarjuna)
* Asangha (from Hinayana sect and Peshwar city founded the Yogacarya and established the Classical age of Buddhism)
* Nagasena (the famous teacher of the milindapanha)
* Brahmadatta
* Nagarjuna (founded the Shunyata concept and considered along with Asvaghosa to have founded the Mahayana)
* Vasubandhu (Brother of Asanga and one of founders of the yogacara school - only historical Buddhist to be called the 'second Buddha')
* Dignaga (5th century Buddhist logician from Kanchipuram)
* Dharmakirti (7th century Buddhist logician from Andhra)
* Buddhaghosa (5th century Pali scholar who led the revival of the Theravaada)
* Kusanda Buddha
* Konagamana Buddha
* Kasyapsa Buddha
* Kshitagarbha
* Padmasambhava (founder of Vajrayana Buddhism)

Some at least of the above long lists would have been brahmins by birth, I feel.

Fritz Staal does not seem to be a historian but more interested in yagas, yajnas and things like those. Is it possible to provide the context in which hesays the vedas changed hands?
dear sarma61 !
very elaborate writing to justify that buddism and jainism are not against brahmibism.In olden days in our social study book for 3rd and 4th forms(1962 -1967 ) it is given that buddism is borne against the practise of animal sacifice and human sacrifice (narbali ).
guruvayurappan

dear iyer !
what you wrote is known to all persons in brahmins community. but who is iyer or brahmin in your concept ? kindly give some practice which you feel as Brahmanism(definitely
guruvayurappan
Dear Sri Guruvayurappan,
Even I had questions along similar lines. As to why he is hoarding that name, when he doesnt like the concept behind it, which if let go can befit some else now or later etc., but for the fear of getting a nasty response, I kept quiet.

dear sarma61 !
very elaborate writing to justify that buddism and jainism are not against brahmibism.In olden days in our social study book for 3rd and 4th forms(1962 -1967 ) it is given that buddism is borne against the practise of animal sacifice and human sacrifice (narbali ).
guruvayurappan

Shri Guru sir,

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about what buddhism and Jainism stood for. Perhaps some western scholar might have felt that these two were "renegades" of hinduism alias vedic religion and since there are legends about Buddha criticising the vedic yaagas, someone might have opined that buddhism rose as a counter to the brahmin-practised yaagams, so against brahmins. This was transposed on to jainism also because these two held more or less similar (or parallel) views on many points.

But if Buddha was really against the veda-reciting brahmins, why would he start a class called buddhist brahmins (brahmin buddhists)? Obviously, a kshatriya by birth himself, Gautama was aware that the brahmins were indeed the best of the lot, though, he wanted them to be many steps higher.

Mahaaveera perhaps did not promote brahmin jains, but given their knowledge of philosophy, metaphysics, etc., learnt from the vedaadhyayana and also the marginal exposure of at least some small groups here and there, to the high thinking which was taking shape through the upanishadic rishis/gurus, brahmins could easily understand, evaluate and feel attracted to these two 'heretic' philosophies and some of them might have been the first to join these.

But if we hold hinduism to be brahminism then buddhism and jainism will easily pass off as anti-brahminist uprisings.

Dear Sri Guruvayurappan,
Even I had questions along similar lines. As to why he is hoarding that name, when he doesnt like the concept behind it, which if let go can befit some else now or later etc., but for the fear of getting a nasty response, I kept quiet.

Shri Guru sir, Shri ozone sir,

The word "iyer" is a morph, indicating plural for respect, of "ayyan" which is the Tamizh "n" suffix indicating singular masculine gender, added to ayya the Pali equivalent for arya or aarya, meaning superior person, man of dignity, of respectability. This is how perhaps others used to call us.

There is another surname "sarma" or "sarman" by which we used to call one another or introduce ourselves reciting the "abhivaadyam". There we use this surname which means happy, prosperous.

Many brahmins still add one of these (or others like iyengaar, potti, bhatt, saastri, etc.) because they do not want to hide their caste. Some have cast off this during the Gandhi-Bharathiar era, influenced by those dreamy visionaries who felt they would be able to usher in some sort of the legendary raamaraajya with independence from British colony rule.

Unlike what shri Iyer states, it is a general fact that brahmins are still held in some esteem by people in general, though they may make fun of us about our meekness, inability to be rowdyish and our food habits too. (For the NV majority, brahmin means V and a sign of weakness at that.) It is true that some of our vaadhyaars are making money more by hook or crook. But they alone are not to be blamed for this. Our community itself has been tending more and more eagerly towards 'making money' and our thirst for material comforts and prosperity seems to have no ceiling. That is why, I feel, even this forum which is named as tamilbrahmins.com is being dominated by some who have settled abroad long-term, and have become very rich and prosperous, trying incessantly to peddle their world views and the futility of clinging on to the brahmin way of life, etc.

Shri Iyer says vegetarianism is no guarantee for good character. True, no one so claims. But it is one ingredient in a total package which has to be followed completely. Will Shri Iyer swear that all NVs are saintly characters? I doubt. Our community has lost "samudaaya kaTTuppaaDu" long time ago and is now functioning in an anarchic fashion. We all are experiencing the results.

dear iyer !
guruvayurappan

Aspire to know who a Human Being is. Aspire to know the purpose for which God created you, to know God's will and plan for your life. Be a Human Being and Do God's will in your life. Love everyone. Build Good and Sound Character in you, be of exemplary conduct. Be Humble. Be at peace with everyone. Rejoice even in the midst of affliction. Be patient in tribulation. Be Good. Be Gentle. Have faith in God. Believe God. Trust in God. Be Meek. Maintain Temperance. This is all that matters. Don't aspire to know who a Brahmin is, what is brahminism etc etc. You will never come to an end.

Iyer is just a surname, a last name. It is of little value otherwise.

May God Bless you.

Regards,
Iyer

Shri Guru sir, Shri ozone sir,

The word "iyer" is a morph, indicating plural for respect, of "ayyan" which is the Tamizh "n" suffix indicating singular masculine gender, added to ayya the Pali equivalent for arya or aarya, meaning superior person, man of dignity, of respectability. This is how perhaps others used to call us.

There is another surname "sarma" or "sarman" by which we used to call one another or introduce ourselves reciting the "abhivaadyam". There we use this surname which means happy, prosperous.

Many brahmins still add one of these (or others like iyengaar, potti, bhatt, saastri, etc.) because they do not want to hide their caste. Some have cast off this during the Gandhi-Bharathiar era, influenced by those dreamy visionaries who felt they would be able to usher in some sort of the legendary raamaraajya with independence from British colony rule.

Unlike what shri Iyer states, it is a general fact that brahmins are still held in some esteem by people in general, though they may make fun of us about our meekness, inability to be rowdyish and our food habits too. (For the NV majority, brahmin means V and a sign of weakness at that.) It is true that some of our vaadhyaars are making money more by hook or crook. But they alone are not to be blamed for this. Our community itself has been tending more and more eagerly towards 'making money' and our thirst for material comforts and prosperity seems to have no ceiling. That is why, I feel, even this forum which is named as tamilbrahmins.com is being dominated by some who have settled abroad long-term, and have become very rich and prosperous, trying incessantly to peddle their world views and the futility of clinging on to the brahmin way of life, etc.

Shri Iyer says vegetarianism is no guarantee for good character. True, no one so claims. But it is one ingredient in a total package which has to be followed completely. Will Shri Iyer swear that all NVs are saintly characters? I doubt. Our community has lost "samudaaya kaTTuppaaDu" long time ago and is now functioning in an anarchic fashion. We all are experiencing the results.

The Tamil Brahmins use Iyer, Sastri as surname.

The vaishnavites among Tamil Brahmins used Iyengar, Chary as surnames.

The Telugu Brahmins used Sarma, Rao as surnames.

The Kannada Brahmins used Rao, Achar as surnames.

The Malayalam Brahmins used Namboodri as surnames.

The Konkani Brahmins use Bhatt as surname.

The Bengali Brahmins used Mukherjee, Bannerjee, Chatterjee as surnames.

The UP Brahmins used Tiwari, Sharma, Dwivedi, Trivedi, Chaturvedi etc as surnames.

Likewise Brahmins speaking different languages used different surnames.

I never said all NVs are of sound character. All that I meant was, Food does not determine character.

Whoever is of sound character and conduct is held in high esteem regardless of caste, religion, creed or color.

Naturam Ghodse was a Brahmin too. Do you hold him in high esteem Mr Sarma?

Regards,
Iyer

Aspire to know who a Human Being is. Aspire to know the purpose for which God created you, to know God's will and plan for your life. Be a Human Being and Do God's will in your life. Love everyone. Build Good and Sound Character in you, be of exemplary conduct. Be Humble. Be at peace with everyone. Rejoice even in the midst of affliction. Be patient in tribulation. Be Good. Be Gentle. Have faith in God. Believe God. Trust in God. Be Meek. Maintain Temperance. This is all that matters. Don't aspire to know who a Brahmin is, what is brahminism etc etc. You will never come to an end.

Iyer is just a surname, a last name. It is of little value otherwise.

May God Bless you.

Regards,
Iyer

Shri Iyer,

I feel there is a circular argument fallacy here. The highlighted portion (Aspire to know the purpose for which God created you, Aspire to know the purpose for which God created you) is considered as one of the most important aims of brahminism; you are only couching it in different words.

And none of the gods - abrahamic, hindu, any - has so far let out the secret file containing the plan for any individual life, despite the fact that crores of crores of human lives - right from the primitive hunters' stage to the present day astronauts have come this way and gone for ever without knowing what exactly might have been god's plan for them.

I think the futility of running after such mirage is what possibly Shri sarma-61 also brings out in his post here. Let us forget this one aspect, then the rest of what you list is all prescribed for a brahmin. But you contradict again when you say "Don't aspire to know who a Brahmin is, what is brahminism etc etc. You will never come to an end." This is exactly what Aspire to know the purpose for which God created you, Aspire to know the purpose for which God created you, means. May be you have not read much about advaita.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back