• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahminical conundrum: Tradition vs Modernity

KRS

Dear Sir,

It might seem that it is finally about a point of focus.
Whether its " Who am I" or " Who is God" or " What lies beyond", "How would heaven be like".."How is it be with God...all make the mind focus on just one point.

From that the whole process of knowing starts in any school of thought or religion itself.

Coming to " controling the mind"..usually its not really a " control" but rather allowing the mind to be in a conducive balancing norm may be by sadhana/ prayers/ meditation or seeking jnaana.
Over time the mind adopts the new norm of having less waves to identify with and eventually one is able to be in the eternal NOW.

Then one takes one step back and develops Sakshi Bhava ( the ability to be a witness).
One may see thoughts traverse the mind but one does not become that thoughts.

The mind then becomes like any other organ which runs in the background..for eg we dont try to control our kidneys..we simply let it function in.a parasympathetic format.

So here we let the mind do its actual function of Viveka without our ahamkara hijacking it.

The " Who am I " question may not really have an answer if its going to go through our intellect ..even an answer like Aham Brahmaasmi could just be recycling familiar concepts.

So may be the question of Who am I is just to kick start the whole process of " Be and it is"

It need not have an answer and may be the need for the question was just part of the plan and not actually as important and may be "That "itself wont really " exist" as being able to " experience" it or " perceive" it...cos it would go back to plurality of having " That"..the one who experiences the "That" and the process of experiencing the " That".
Dear Dr. Renuka Ji,

I think I understand what you are saying. Looks like you are well read and thought out the mechanisms.

Right now, what I am doing is aiding me. I like very simple, easy to follow methods, tailored just for my mental make up.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Dr. Renuka Ji,

I think I understand what you are saying. Looks like you are well read and thought out the mechanisms.

Right now, what I am doing is aiding me. I like very simple, easy to follow methods, tailored just for my mental make up.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.
Dear Sir,
You are right...its simplicity and personalized formats that is tailored to individual needs that again would keep changing constantly in its application..very much like an update we get on Android...as the saying goes " Change is the only constant"

Not all understandings can be found in books I feel..being well read helps only to some extent.
Its like learning to swim..we can read it from a book on how to swim but till we swim in water we would never really truly know it.

Hands on practical experience is what true reading is about.
Hence even the 1st word Prophet Muhammad ( pbuh) heard from Angel Gabriel was " Iqra" (Read!)
When prophet replied " I dont know how to read" ..the word Iqra was repeated.

So it goes to show we Read the messages that unfold to us from within..having which the art of knowing develops and whatever information we had previously got from books would reveal itself in different shades of expression we never knew existed..that too again in a personalized format hence we see commentaries of a same text for eg The Bhagavad Gita having various commentaries by Masters and they differ.

Gita bhashya of Ramanuja would differ from Adi Shankara and both are right as it was their personalized revelation.

So its important I feel that we read any text for information and patiently wait for our own personalized update tailored for our mental make up to download in us.

Its nice to read your posts..keep sharing with everyone.

tbs

Sir,

Very well thought out response.

World has changed. So Purva Mimamsa is nowadays only a relic of yester years.

For the industrialized world, Vedanta is more apt.

But one should know the values of the past can still guide us. And for a lot of us they are in our DNA.

I try to live by two axioms:
1. Do not hurt another Jeeva
2. Live to understand who am I?

That’s it. I am fortunate to have grand children and everything in life is a blessing after that.

Thank you.
hi sir

nice to see you again ...after a long time....im here more than 10 years....many veterans left...

KRS

Dear Sir,
You are right...its simplicity and personalized formats that is tailored to individual needs that again would keep changing constantly in its application..very much like an update we get on Android...as the saying goes " Change is the only constant"

Not all understandings can be found in books I feel..being well read helps only to some extent.
Its like learning to swim..we can read it from a book on how to swim but till we swim in water we would never really truly know it.

Hands on practical experience is what true reading is about.
Hence even the 1st word Prophet Muhammad ( pbuh) heard from Angel Gabriel was " Iqra" (Read!)
When prophet replied " I dont know how to read" ..the word Iqra was repeated.

So it goes to show we Read the messages that unfold to us from within..having which the art of knowing develops and whatever information we had previously got from books would reveal itself in different shades of expression we never knew existed..that too again in a personalized format hence we see commentaries of a same text for eg The Bhagavad Gita having various commentaries by Masters and they differ.

Gita bhashya of Ramanuja would differ from Adi Shankara and both are right as it was their personalized revelation.

So its important I feel that we read any text for information and patiently wait for our own personalized update tailored for our mental make up to download in us.

Its nice to read your posts..keep sharing with everyone.
🙏