• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahminical conundrum: Tradition vs Modernity

KRS

Dear Sir,

It might seem that it is finally about a point of focus.
Whether its " Who am I" or " Who is God" or " What lies beyond", "How would heaven be like".."How is it be with God...all make the mind focus on just one point.

From that the whole process of knowing starts in any school of thought or religion itself.

Coming to " controling the mind"..usually its not really a " control" but rather allowing the mind to be in a conducive balancing norm may be by sadhana/ prayers/ meditation or seeking jnaana.
Over time the mind adopts the new norm of having less waves to identify with and eventually one is able to be in the eternal NOW.

Then one takes one step back and develops Sakshi Bhava ( the ability to be a witness).
One may see thoughts traverse the mind but one does not become that thoughts.

The mind then becomes like any other organ which runs in the background..for eg we dont try to control our kidneys..we simply let it function in.a parasympathetic format.

So here we let the mind do its actual function of Viveka without our ahamkara hijacking it.

The " Who am I " question may not really have an answer if its going to go through our intellect ..even an answer like Aham Brahmaasmi could just be recycling familiar concepts.

So may be the question of Who am I is just to kick start the whole process of " Be and it is"

It need not have an answer and may be the need for the question was just part of the plan and not actually as important and may be "That "itself wont really " exist" as being able to " experience" it or " perceive" it...cos it would go back to plurality of having " That"..the one who experiences the "That" and the process of experiencing the " That".
Dear Dr. Renuka Ji,

I think I understand what you are saying. Looks like you are well read and thought out the mechanisms.

Right now, what I am doing is aiding me. I like very simple, easy to follow methods, tailored just for my mental make up.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Dr. Renuka Ji,

I think I understand what you are saying. Looks like you are well read and thought out the mechanisms.

Right now, what I am doing is aiding me. I like very simple, easy to follow methods, tailored just for my mental make up.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.
Dear Sir,
You are right...its simplicity and personalized formats that is tailored to individual needs that again would keep changing constantly in its application..very much like an update we get on Android...as the saying goes " Change is the only constant"

Not all understandings can be found in books I feel..being well read helps only to some extent.
Its like learning to swim..we can read it from a book on how to swim but till we swim in water we would never really truly know it.

Hands on practical experience is what true reading is about.
Hence even the 1st word Prophet Muhammad ( pbuh) heard from Angel Gabriel was " Iqra" (Read!)
When prophet replied " I dont know how to read" ..the word Iqra was repeated.

So it goes to show we Read the messages that unfold to us from within..having which the art of knowing develops and whatever information we had previously got from books would reveal itself in different shades of expression we never knew existed..that too again in a personalized format hence we see commentaries of a same text for eg The Bhagavad Gita having various commentaries by Masters and they differ.

Gita bhashya of Ramanuja would differ from Adi Shankara and both are right as it was their personalized revelation.

So its important I feel that we read any text for information and patiently wait for our own personalized update tailored for our mental make up to download in us.

Its nice to read your posts..keep sharing with everyone.

tbs

Sir,

Very well thought out response.

World has changed. So Purva Mimamsa is nowadays only a relic of yester years.

For the industrialized world, Vedanta is more apt.

But one should know the values of the past can still guide us. And for a lot of us they are in our DNA.

I try to live by two axioms:
1. Do not hurt another Jeeva
2. Live to understand who am I?

That’s it. I am fortunate to have grand children and everything in life is a blessing after that.

Thank you.
hi sir

nice to see you again ...after a long time....im here more than 10 years....many veterans left...

KRS

Dear Sir,
You are right...its simplicity and personalized formats that is tailored to individual needs that again would keep changing constantly in its application..very much like an update we get on Android...as the saying goes " Change is the only constant"

Not all understandings can be found in books I feel..being well read helps only to some extent.
Its like learning to swim..we can read it from a book on how to swim but till we swim in water we would never really truly know it.

Hands on practical experience is what true reading is about.
Hence even the 1st word Prophet Muhammad ( pbuh) heard from Angel Gabriel was " Iqra" (Read!)
When prophet replied " I dont know how to read" ..the word Iqra was repeated.

So it goes to show we Read the messages that unfold to us from within..having which the art of knowing develops and whatever information we had previously got from books would reveal itself in different shades of expression we never knew existed..that too again in a personalized format hence we see commentaries of a same text for eg The Bhagavad Gita having various commentaries by Masters and they differ.

Gita bhashya of Ramanuja would differ from Adi Shankara and both are right as it was their personalized revelation.

So its important I feel that we read any text for information and patiently wait for our own personalized update tailored for our mental make up to download in us.

Its nice to read your posts..keep sharing with everyone.
🙏

usaiyer

#25 KRS ji,
I feel happy about your comment on 'Nan Yar' tool of Ramana
Maharishi and your close association with him.
The healing or spiritual enlightenment have to happen at personal level and it can have only a limited impact on the
vast mass of ignorant and unguided folks.
Sankara's aatma vicharam concept and practice also an individualised.
But if you want to have meaningful social reforms based on
Ahimsa ,how this approach can help? Do we need to think at different level?

KRS

#25 KRS ji,
I feel happy about your comment on 'Nan Yar' tool of Ramana
Maharishi and your close association with him.
The healing or spiritual enlightenment have to happen at personal level and it can have only a limited impact on the
vast mass of ignorant and unguided folks.
Sankara's aatma vicharam concept and practice also an individualised.
But if you want to have meaningful social reforms based on
Ahimsa ,how this approach can help? Do we need to think at different level?
Sri Usaiyer Sir,

You raise a question that I have thought about quite a lot the last few years.

The only conclusion I have come to is that there is no such thing called ‘society’ As we usually imagine. This took me a while to understand, but here are my thoughts, and of course, I do not claim that my thoughts are correct.

My Guru once was asked, and I am paraphrasing, ‘the world is full of problems, what should I do?’. He replied ‘World is maintained by Ishwara. Why do you worry about it? Just concentrate on yourself to understand who you are, and the world will take care of itself’.

Now, this advice looks to be ‘selfish’ on the first thought. But then one realizes that one really has no control over the Universe, what it is doing, where it is going, what happened in the past, and most importantly how one WISHES to affect the world. One realizes that even the desire for Moksha is selfish, and in the end, any morality is time period oriented in terms of human development.

There is no ‘wrong’ in morality pursued during each epoch of human development. Our ancestors once were cannibals, after all. So one understands that there is a progression in civilization, regardless of any individual’s effort.

This is not to say that one should not try to shape a dharmic world. I am sure my Guru would say that if that is one’s dharma, Ishwara would produce such folks (plug in any names that we have that impacted the lives of large number of folks).

So coming back to your question, the physical world always have opposites. One can not talk even about dharma, without the opposite. There is no ahimsa without himsa. The point is these concepts exist in our minds, we do not even know why one is better than the opposite, only we think that one is so, because of our prevailing culture and standards.

So, a long explanation to illustrate what my Guru‘s words resonated within me.

KRS

For those who do not know, here is a write up on The Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharishi.:

He was affable and courteous to all
comers . There was no pontifical
solemnity in his expositions; on the
contrary, his speech , whether on daily
affairs or on doctrine , was vivacious and
full of laughter. And so infectious was
his laughter that even those who did not
know Tamil would spontaneously join
in. Right up to the end he joked , and yet
his jokes also bore instruction.

When the doctors were alarmed to see a new growth of tumour pushing up during his final sickness, he said, laughing ,
"Why do you worry? It's its nature to come up. "

When a woman beat her head against a post outside his room in grief, despite his
insistence that the body's death is no
cause for grief, he listened for a moment
and then said: " Oh , I thought somebody was trying to break a coconut."

A devotee asked why his prayers were not answered and Bhagavan replied ,
laughing : "If they were , you might stop
praying."

His manner of life was of the most
normal . It was no attitude of superiority
that bent men's knees before him , for
none could be more simple or natural; it
was the spontaneous reaction of men to
the Divine .

His face was like the face of water,
always changing and yet always the same .
H e would be laughing and talking, and
then he would turn graciously to a small
child or hand a nut to a squirrel that
hopped on to his couch from the
window, or his radiant, wide open eyes
would shine with love upon some devotee
who had just arrived or was taking leave .
And then, in silence , a moment later, his
face would be rock-like, eternal in its
grandeur.

The love that shone in his eyes, the
luminous understanding , cannot be
described . Someone has come to the
Ashram broken down with the hopeless
grief of bereavement, and Bhagavan ,
after hearing the story, has simply looked ,
no word spoken , and peace flooded the
soul.

An old pandit who knew Sri Ramana
as a boy had visited many yogis and
decided to visit the Yogi Ramana also and
discuss with him . But, standing before
the couch , he felt his whole body electrified with awe and , before he knew what had happened , had fallen on his face before him .

Little children were drawn to him and gladdened by his smile . A cooly picked up a blown sheet of paper and , seeing his picture on it, exclaimed "Bhagavan!" and folded it reverently to take away with him .

Animals were drawn to him like people . Once he came back late from his afternoon walk on the hill.
And while devotees clustered in groups
or sat waiting or followed him up the
hillside , a pair of monkeys came to the
doorway of the hall and forgetting their
fear of people , came inside and gazed
anxiously at the vacant couch . A monkey
that has been tended by humans is
ostracised by its fellows on its return to
wild life, but any that had been tended by Bhagavan was gladly received. Having
transcended the ego , he had transcended fear and antagonism , and the animals
sensed this. A snake crept over his leg
and he did not move or shrink. When a
devotee asked him later what it felt like
to have a snake pass over one , he replied,
laughing : "Cold and moist."

We shall not again see the divine grace
in human form or the love shining in his
eyes, but in our hearts he is with us and
will not leave us.

His grace continues to be poured out, not only on those who knew the miracle of his bodily form , but on all who turn to him in their hearts,now as before.

~ THE MAN WHO WAS RAMANA
By Arthur Osborne
# Mountain Path, 1996 Aradhana.

usaiyer

happy to be briefed on the Great divine path shower and
heals the wounds of humans battered in the day to day life,
and showed equal love to animals and other living creatures,
I wish to know the significance of the NAN -YAR tool
and how one can use it to raise his level of consciousness?
Namaskars.

KRS

Sri usaiyer Sir,

Because you asked, let me tell you a few things I have done, according to my mental makeup and inclination, since the Bhagawan’s grace fell on me. I read everything I could read about him, and works by him. I visited Ramanashramam a few times. Now I keep his teachings in front of me, rarely goes a day without me reading something related to him.

A few things to consider if you do not know much about the Bhagwan. There is an excellent YouTube video about his life. There are numerous books available on Amazon, and a particular one ‘Talks with Ramana Maharishi’, has helped me a lot. Of recent vintage are several YouTube videos by one David Godman, who was called by the Bhagwan, similarly like me. But, you will find him very erudite and expressive, unlike me.

There are many disciples of the Bhagwan from the West who have started what are called as ‘Satsangs’. Some of them in recent years have proved to be not vert good for spiritual development. Bhagwan always said that there is no lineage after him in terms of Parampara and so I believe in that. So, I do not take part in any group activities relating to him.

I started then on the path of being conscious of my thinking and resulting actions. It was an overt effort. My starting point was practicing Ahimsa in both thoughts and actions, most importantly on my words and actions. It has taken me a few years to consistently doing this, now it has become automatic; my mind checks out these without me being conscious. So, last couple of years, I am now conscious about the thoughts occurring in my mind. Rarely nowadays, I let my mind continue on a stream of unwanted thoughts. But, this is quite difficult, as I still get angry at times, though infrequently.

Now, I believe such a control of mind and actions is slowly but surely leading me to the root, my ahamkara. To me, this is how I apply my Guru’s technique, and instructions on ‘Who am I?’ and ‘Be as you are’, and it is working.

This is how I look inward everyday. I do not do overt meditation, it has not worked for me and I pray when my mind seeks to pray. This has been spontaneous, sudden urges to do so.

I guess my spiritual seeking include a mix of all four yogas, as one must use a cocktail of a mixture that works for one. Hope this helps.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Sri usaiyer Sir,

Because you asked, let me tell you a few things I have done, according to my mental makeup and inclination, since the Bhagawan’s grace fell on me. I read everything I could read about him, and works by him. I visited Ramanashramam a few times. Now I keep his teachings in front of me, rarely goes a day without me reading something related to him.

A few things to consider if you do not know much about the Bhagwan. There is an excellent YouTube video about his life. There are numerous books available on Amazon, and a particular one ‘Talks with Ramana Maharishi’, has helped me a lot. Of recent vintage are several YouTube videos by one David Godman, who was called by the Bhagwan, similarly like me. But, you will find him very erudite and expressive, unlike me.

There are many disciples of the Bhagwan from the West who have started what are called as ‘Satsangs’. Some of them in recent years have proved to be not vert good for spiritual development. Bhagwan always said that there is no lineage after him in terms of Parampara and so I believe in that. So, I do not take part in any group activities relating to him.

I started then on the path of being conscious of my thinking and resulting actions. It was an overt effort. My starting point was practicing Ahimsa in both thoughts and actions, most importantly on my words and actions. It has taken me a few years to consistently doing this, now it has become automatic; my mind checks out these without me being conscious. So, last couple of years, I am now conscious about the thoughts occurring in my mind. Rarely nowadays, I let my mind continue on a stream of unwanted thoughts. But, this is quite difficult, as I still get angry at times, though infrequently.

Now, I believe such a control of mind and actions is slowly but surely leading me to the root, my ahamkara. To me, this is how I apply my Guru’s technique, and instructions on ‘Who am I?’ and ‘Be as you are’, and it is working.

This is how I look inward everyday. I do not do overt meditation, it has not worked for me and I pray when my mind seeks to pray. This has been spontaneous, sudden urges to do so.

I guess my spiritual seeking include a mix of all four yogas, as one must use a cocktail of a mixture that works for one. Hope this helps.
Dear KRS ji,
About the satsangs you are talking about...I used to just hang around some pages online where people got together for " satsang" and as you said at times it might not be conducive but at the same time it might be conducive for another person.

I left all online pages and I only hang out in TB forum here cos its fun and neutral mostly.

Lots of people need different messages and I found that sometimes hanging out in a satsang not conducive for me might actually do damage to others because views might differ and it wont be fair to impose my views on them and it wont be fair for me to accept general views of others( when i say views here i dont mean rigid thoughts but I mean the personalized customized perception each one of us has which I feel differs from person to person)

Finally its like baby birds..we need to fly on our own from a common nest.

I dont meditate either..never tried..but I pray at the prescribed times and it has become the new norm to follow the timings ..not that its rigidly compulsory or i force myself but i started following prayer timings because I asked myself.." prayer is an appointment with God/ Devata/ Universal Consciousness ...we tend to at times delay it or pray when we feel like it..that is we dont mind being late for the appointment or be a no show..but in real life at a human level we would keep all appointments when we meet up with a friend or a vaccination date or even with a doctor or a VIP....I then felt I should treat prayer appointments with the same feeling too of not wanting to be late..

The prescribe timings of prayer be it 3x or 5x a day are related to a transition in our circardian rhythm and this is where the mind actually gets a bit agitated and brain waves pattern change and we make a smoother transition if we fill that transition with prayer..its all about maintaining that Eka Grata( one pointedness) 24/7 which is in fact meditation itself sans the need for any specific kriyas or kundalini activation.

KRS

Srimathi Dr. Renuka Ji,

I do not know how much knowledge Sri usaiyer Sir has on the Bhagawan and so I tried to give a very broad overview.

I did not mean Satsangs are all bad. In fact, it is one of the requirements for our spiritual pursuit. The way Bhagawan teaches, it is easy for anyone to imbibe the words and repeat them, thinking they are doing good. But only the words from a Janani hold the Truth. Especially, in this case, a movement that people term as ‘neo vedantha’ is prevalent in the west. So, many folks do think that Bhagawan taught ‘Hinduism made easy’ and think that one does not need to understand Hinduism at all. Such thinking, in my opinion, lead some people not to grasp the concepts of Vedanta fundamentals. I have seen this, and some of them then do a mish mash of different concepts without synchrony and teach. So this is what I am referring to regarding some Satsangs oriented towards Bhagwan‘s teachings.

So, my Satsangs involve taking vedic courses from a qualified reputed teacher (Gita and Upanisheds) and readings and video.

Also, because of my advaitha background and my family Gurus come from Adi Shankara lineage, I think I had a leg up in understanding the Bhagawan teachings. Only a few years ago, I learnt from my mom that my dad followed the Bhagawan (He passed away when I was five)!

I am glad you are doing your Sadhana. There comes a time,when one should get the grace from a Guru to assist one to pull oneself inside, whoever that Guru is. Gurus come in various forms.

Thank you. Cheers.

a-TB

Sri usaiyer Sir,

Shraddha can make all the difference. There cannot be many paths per se to the truth but in preparations there could be I suppose.

a-TB

Sri a-TB Sir,

I remember Sri Sangom Sir as a very knowledgeable person and inclined towards an ethics based religion. I got the impression that he was partial to Buddhism, as he did not believe in the Hindu concept of Brahman.

To me Ahimsa at the edges is very blurry. One can not expect a person near the North Pole to be a vegetarian. I do not judge others on practices that do not concern me, as long as they are not illegal. Even then, if they affect me, then I tend to take actions to counter, if warranted.

Otherwise, As my Guru advises, I focus on myself in a ‘selful’, way and leave everything else to Ishwara.

Yes, I think the hardest part is not to hurt others even by words. But once you consciously practice it, you will find that your mind automatically starts thinking about stopping thoughts that evoke such words/actions. This is a difficult process as your mind slips up often.

Regarding ‘who am I?’, it is a well known fact that if one is part of a closed system, one can not understand what is outside. But, we know from our experience that mystics in almost all religions who turned inwards have told us that they have the experience of ‘that’. They told us that we also can ‘know it’ if we practice certain ways to control our minds. I just chose a path that is appealing and attractive to me. I can not claim that it will work for anybody else. For me, even if I do not experience ‘that’ it is well worth it.
Dear Mr KRS

Just catching up on the thread and hence delay in responding.

Yes, Mr Sangom relished in providing challenging posts that evoked responses of one kind or the other. He insisted on logic and yet was an ardent believer in Astrology (which I am not).

Is Brahman that cannot be expressed in words and cannot be conceived by mind an entity to be believed. So one person says "I believe in something that cannot be expressed in words and cannot be imagined". So can the word believe be associated with Brahman.

Even if it is a belief, in what way it is superior to any other belief. There are all kinds of beliefs and they all are not subject to logic by very definition of belief.

You have talked about Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi . It seems the query of who am I is more concrete though there is no answer possible from what I gather.

KRS

Shraddha can make all the difference. There cannot be many paths per se to the truth but in preparations there could be I suppose.
Sri a-TB Sir,

I do not understand your first statement. What do you mean by ‘Shraddha’? And why it can ‘make all the difference’, before I respond to both of your postings with full understanding of your views. Thanks.

a-TB

Sri a-TB Sir,

I do not understand your first statement. What do you mean by ‘Shraddha’? And why it can ‘make all the difference’, before I respond to both of your postings with full understanding of your views. Thanks.
Dear Mr KRS Sir,

What I understand by Shraddha is that it is a conditional faith and not blind faith. For example if I undertake a study to get job and earn a salary, I have to invest some time and energy. While there may be some data to support and some advice by others , ultimately I have to have some initial faith to expend the energy.

We live in a world where there are no final answers to anything. With incomplete information we make decisions. Ultimately the faith pays off or not. If not, that faith has to be abandoned. That would be rational, but most people hold onto their beliefs as it is tied to their ego identity.

Unfortunately in the area of Astrology and even superstitious practices human mind plays tricks and ensure it sees relationships that is not there. There are objective ways to make sure if there is true correlation and if it is even connected to causation.

But such studies do not exist in the domain of Astrology because ultimately it is all an anecdotes based beliefs. Astrolgy's starting point is a geo centric model (and not helio centric model). There are far too many variables that Science methods will not apply and hence no one takes up that.

Even Advita concepts are taken in the same manner judging by the kind of statements made in the internet by people. It becomes another belief system - I believe in something that cannot be expressed in words and cannot have mental models. Yet I will talk about it as if it is another vegetable I know about LOL

With these statements above my understanding of the word Shraddha is a quest to know the ultimate truth.

Have read that in Gita there is a teaching that one with Shraddha will gain the truth. Hence such an unwavering commitment to know the truth will lead to truth and hence can 'make all the difference' . It will help one to drop wrong 'paths' and even have a clearer objective

Again am not an expert at anything. While logic is not the main focus, whatever is taught has to NOT contradict logic. Otherwise teaching is not possible, It will be just another religion to be believed

I think our scriptures aimed at teaching . Just saying certain things cannot be understood is unsatisfactory because then it could be said right away and not invent new words at all as though to explain .

I did not see your response here until you reminded me in the other thread,

KRS

Sri a-TB Sir,

Okay, I Understand. I will leave discussion of Shraddha to some other time. I think our discussions in the other thread may also cover it.

Regarding, astrology, I do not know how much you are familiar with Vedic astrology. For myself, something propelled me at a very young age to study Vedic astrology. Since then it has been a lifelong hobby, I am what would you call as an amateur astrologer.

Now, as I grew up and studied Physics, I noticed that my fellow scientists had a very low opinion about it, as in their view, it was mumbo jumbo, without even knowing what it is, how it is formulated, and it’s structure. But I had different views, awestruck at it’s structure and discipline.

Medicine, as it was practiced and as it is even today is an art/science discipline. Diagnostics was an absolute art in the yester years and less so in modern times with all the diagnostic tools. But, it is still an art, dependent on the practitioner to draw upon his knowledge and experience to diagnose. But even then, we are advised to seek second opinions. Same is true for therapeutics. Medicines work differently on different folks, efficacy is not the same for everyone across the human spectrum. Yet, today it is practiced under the rubric of Medical Sciences as it should be. Because lots of it is empirical, drawing conclusions based on statistics and bell curves.

Now, Vedic astrology, in my opinion, is very similar. It is based on the exact movements of planets in Solar system, at the time of one’s birth, movements thereafter through out one’s life, different planets signifying different aspects of one’s life. This is all done with respect to the whole Solar system revolving around the zodiac, with distant stars influencing the system.

Around these mathematical calculations, are rules there voluminous to cover all the permutations and combinations of this complex system, yet, arranged in a systematic way for one to learn and start practicing, while learning more advanced topics, that fine tune the accuracy of the practice.

As an amateur, I am still practicing this art/science with reverence, finding that my predictions are about 75 to 80% proven to be correct.

Now how can one say that distant planets affect a person’s life on earth? But the discipline if practiced properly tells one just that. We do not know why, that’s all. Astrology belongs in the meta physical realm, not in the physical realm, though it uses physical movements of the planets that are physical bodies.

Because I know the discipline I know it is not something based on ‘mooda nambikkai’, because it works based on rules and data. Thanks.

Krishnan.vp

I live abroad, I am not a conformist and never was.
I was involved in our town Temple building financially as well as physically.
I was chairman of the board and raised $4m for this effort. I have been religious committee chairman etc.
I attend the Chinmaya group since I was a 20-year-old College student.

But never lived in Tamil Nadu and having grown up in a cosmopolitan town, and in a financially successful family, my upbringing is different than average TB.
So I do not have any hangups. I am a TB and I have no shame in being one. On the contrary, I am proud of my values.

I am sorry that you feel that I am a beggar, but that is your mistake.
I am financially successful and happily settled with myself.
Hi,

Very interesting .. so you did not grow up in India or where did you grow up in India? When did u move abroad

I am happy to know someone who has been a chairman of a temple board..

Cheers..

prasad1

Gold Member
Gold Member
Let us say that we accept Earth is at the center of a two-dimensional universe. All the rigid calculations prove nothing.
The nakshatras are basically a 2-dimensional representation of a 4-dimensional Universe.

They could be made up of stars of various sizes and ages, separated by light-years in all three different planes, This mythical shape is only earth-centric and from another galaxy, it will not look similar

Is there a point when your premise is so wrong?
What is the point of precise calculation if the basis is wrong?

1+ 1 = 2 (on the basis that we are dealing in a decimal system), but it will be the wrong answer in a binary system.

The answer should be 1+1 = 10 (in a binary system).
So all the precise calculations mean nothing.