• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bhagawan Ramana Maharishi

Ohm Namo Bhagavate Shri Ramanaya!!!
It seems that Ramana Maharishi's life and his spiritual journey was unique and spontaneous flowering of an inner urge which he took cognizance and pursued ascetic living and hard life to seek the truth.

Dear usaiyer sir, if I may, a correction. Bhagavan realized the Self after his death experience when he was 16. He did not pursue ascetic living or hard life to seek truth. He had no guru, practised no sadhana, nor studied religious books. After realization it could be said that he lived what may be called an ascetic life although even this is questionable. That is about it.

Ohm Namo Bhagavate Shri Ramanaya!!!
It seems that Ramana Maharishi's life and his spiritual journey was unique and spontaneous flowering of an inner urge which he took cognizance and pursued ascetic living and hard life to seek the truth.

However it is very difficult to lay our hands on the real experience of this great Maharishi, some of his admirers and
personal followers have given some insights into his spiritual
journey and as such the discussions on them has been very
enlightening and I want to thank you for the same.

I would request if possible make available one or two books on his spiritual philosophy in pdf format here for our benefit.
Namaskarams.
Sri USaiyer Sir,

I think, the following books are excellent introductions to the Bhagawan’s teachings:

There are many free books available in pdf formats in this site:

There are many other sites, if you Google, that allow you to download free.

Hope this helps. All the best.

We are silent if the mind is silenced and we can enjoy the
divine light radiating within and giving complete bliss.
Attachment 12353 perhaps means this
KRS may kindly help me with my query,
Thank you.
Sri USaiyer Sir,

I do not see any Attachment. Can you elaborate, please, so I can be of any required assistance?

Attachment 12353 is same as the one in KRS #97,
In Arunachala Ashtakam Ramana says" From the age of innocence Arunachala shone in my mind as something surpassing grandeur.
"Prior to his death experience in 1986.Ramana born in a Brahmin family ,his father 's death
and his resulting introspection on this got him the point that
that though his father's body was still there ,it was some other force which had been responsible for all the bodily and mental movements, This got reinforced in his near death experience when he was 16. and disturbed his normal life and studies.
His elder brother chided him for the neglect of his studies, he took it as as a call from divine and left home,
Thank KRS sir for the books which I will go thru,

Q: What is samadhi?
A: The state in which the unbroken experience of existence-consciousness is attained by the still mind, alone is samadhi.

That still mind which is adorned with the attainment of the limitless supreme Self, alone is the reality of God.

When the mind is in communion with the Self in darkness, it is called nidra [sleep], that is, the immersion of the mind in
ignorance.
Immersion in a conscious or wakeful state is called samadhi.
Samadhi is continuous inherence in the Self in a waking state.
Nidra or sleep is also inherence in the Self but in an unconscious state.
In sahaja samadhi the communion is
continuous.

Q: What are kevala nirvikalpa samadhi and sahaja nirvikalpa samadhi?

A: The immersion of the mind in the Self, but without its destruction, is kevala nirvikalpa samadhi. In this state one is not
free from vasanas and so one does not therefore attain mukti. Only after the vasanas have been destroyed can one attain liberation.

- BE AS YOU ARE. The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharishi edited by David Godman.

I have started reading the book and also the tamil version of
Nan yar in question and answer format,
I need a few clarifications.
1.What is process if self -enquiry,Has it to be in the form meditation?If so how long daily?
2.How a householder can perform this ?What are the benefits?
3.Do we nedd a guru or

yup' I got it and thank you.
Liked it much ,
present day we can count the no. of Gurus or swamijis who are
venerable like Sringeri & Kanchi swamigals.
Can you suggest some Gurus in your view for following.
Who is Siva prakasam pillai?

Sri Usaiyer Sir,

Finding an Atma Guru is a personal endeavor. It is not like recommending something that exists in the world. It is a very specific activity based on your own proclivities.

For example, I revere my family Gurus at Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam, yet I follow the Bhagawan as my Atma Guru.

So, I am not in a position to recommend anyone for you to follow. Effort that you will put in finding a Guru will surely pay dividends in the long run. Only requirement is that you need to really want to have someone to be your Atma Guru. If you search with that attitude, you will surely have God’s grace upon you to have one to guide you properly.

My best wishes.

1628138293730.jpeg

Is the Self to be found even in a dead body?

One day, there was a Sadhu among the gathering of devotees in the Hall. From his appearance, it was obvious, that he was deep in spiritual practice. It looked as though he was waiting for an opportunity to ask Bhagavan something. When he felt that the time was right, the Sadhu approached Bhagavan and said, 'Bhagavan! It is said that the Self is present in everything. Does that mean that the Self is to be found even in a dead body?"

When He heard this, Bhagavan exclaimed, 'Oh! This is what you want. Is it? Is it the dead body who wants to know or is it you? Who is asking this question?'

The Sadhu replied, 'It is I who want to know, Bhagavan.'

Then Bhagavan said, 'While you are asleep, do you wonder, 'Am I here or not?' It is only in the wakeful state, that you say, 'I am'. Similarly, the Self is definitely present even in a dead body. But if you inquire further, you will realize that both the dead body and the living body are both illusory. That which moves we label as being 'alive'. And that which is motionless we say is 'dead' This differentiation is only in our minds. In our dreams we see both 'living' and the 'dead'. As soon as we wake up, we realize that both the living and the dead of our dreams are but illusions. In the same way, this entire universe is nothing more than a grand illusion. The birth of the 'I thought' is referred to as birth and the disappearance of the I thought is death. What we call birth and death therefore are nothing but appearance and disappearance of the I thought. Both birth and death are for the ego alone. Neither birth nor death can touch the 'I' which forms the essence of your being., When the awareness of the self is strong you are there; you are equally there when the self-awareness fades. It is 'you' that is the source of the I thought. But the 'I-thought' is not you. Realization is nothing but perceiving the source of the cycle of birth and death.

That is, you must 'die' and still remain aware, He who 'dies' with awareness is transformed into pure Self. That is, when the ego dies, the Self is born. When this happens, all doubts vanish immediately. The veil of illusion is lifted and everything is perceived properly. All confusion is removed. The differentiations between birth and death, living and the dead, everything disappears. The Self is all knowing. The Self has no doubts. It is only the ego that is plagued by doubts.'

On hearing this explanation, the Sadhu's face glowed with understanding. It was obvious that he had finally found the answer to the question that had obviously bothered him for a long time.

Is the Self to be found even in a dead body?

One day, there was a Sadhu among the gathering of devotees in the Hall. From his appearance, it was obvious, that he was deep in spiritual practice. It looked as though he was waiting for an opportunity to ask Bhagavan something. When he felt that the time was right, the Sadhu approached Bhagavan and said, 'Bhagavan! It is said that the Self is present in everything. Does that mean that the Self is to be found even in a dead body?"

When He heard this, Bhagavan exclaimed, 'Oh! This is what you want. Is it? Is it the dead body who wants to know or is it you? Who is asking this question?'

The Sadhu replied, 'It is I who want to know, Bhagavan.'

Then Bhagavan said, 'While you are asleep, do you wonder, 'Am I here or not?' It is only in the wakeful state, that you say, 'I am'. Similarly, the Self is definitely present even in a dead body. But if you inquire further, you will realize that both the dead body and the living body are both illusory. That which moves we label as being 'alive'. And that which is motionless we say is 'dead' This differentiation is only in our minds. In our dreams we see both 'living' and the 'dead'. As soon as we wake up, we realize that both the living and the dead of our dreams are but illusions. In the same way, this entire universe is nothing more than a grand illusion. The birth of the 'I thought' is referred to as birth and the disappearance of the I thought is death. What we call birth and death therefore are nothing but appearance and disappearance of the I thought. Both birth and death are for the ego alone. Neither birth nor death can touch the 'I' which forms the essence of your being., When the awareness of the self is strong you are there; you are equally there when the self-awareness fades. It is 'you' that is the source of the I thought. But the 'I-thought' is not you. Realization is nothing but perceiving the source of the cycle of birth and death.

That is, you must 'die' and still remain aware, He who 'dies' with awareness is transformed into pure Self. That is, when the ego dies, the Self is born. When this happens, all doubts vanish immediately. The veil of illusion is lifted and everything is perceived properly. All confusion is removed. The differentiations between birth and death, living and the dead, everything disappears. The Self is all knowing. The Self has no doubts. It is only the ego that is plagued by doubts.'

On hearing this explanation, the Sadhu's face glowed with understanding. It was obvious that he had finally found the answer to the question that had obviously bothered him for a long time.
I have noticed that Bhagawan Ramana and Jiddu Krishnamurthy have the same style of addressing questions.

Initially they start off with being a little " harsh" then the answer flows.

Is there any reason why they choose to give a " shock treatment" to the person asking the question?

I have noticed that Bhagawan Ramana and Jiddu Krishnamurthy have the same style of addressing questions.

Initially they start off with being a little " harsh" then the answer flows.

Is there any reason why they choose to give a " shock treatment" to the person asking the question?
Srimathi Dr. Renuka Ji,

I do not know much about Sri Jidda Krishnamurthi Ji to comment.

However I do not think that Bhagawan had the pattern of being always ‘harsh’ the first time.

Lots of times, he would not even answer questions, presumably, communicating in silence for the most part. So, in my opinion, he gave answers to specific people in the mode they could receive them and understand.

Srimathi Dr. Renuka Ji,

I do not know much about Sri Jidda Krishnamurthi Ji to comment.

However I do not think that Bhagawan had the pattern of being always ‘harsh’ the first time.

Lots of times, he would not even answer questions, presumably, communicating in silence for the most part. So, in my opinion, he gave answers to specific people in the mode they could receive them and understand.
Thanks, may be its the translations that choose a " shock treatment" words in English.

Why does a man suffer misery?

MAHARSHI : Misery is due to multifarious thoughts. If the thoughts are unified and centered on a single item there is no misery, but happiness is the result. Then, even the thought, "I do something" is absent; nor will there be an eye on the fruit of action.

- from Talk-371

KRS Sir,
What is the essence of Mind Management?
Maharishi says mind is only the mover of thoughts and if the thoughts cease mind has no existence in itself.
But our past impressions and accumulated thoughts always
spring forth stealthily making the mind feed on it. What are the means of effective mind control.?
Person without the mind ,is it possible? what is a creative mind?

KRS Sir,
Maharishi says mind is only the mover of thoughts and if the thoughts cease mind has no existence in itself.
spring forth stealthily making the mind feed on it. What are the means of effective mind control.?
Sri usaiyer Sir,

I am posting here what Baghawan said about mind control. ‘Killing the mind’ is only an expression to denote that the ego-I dies and when it does the mind fully immersed in Atma. If you have not already, please read ‘Tattvabodha’ explained by Swami Tejomayananda, available on Amazon. This will explain to you about our various bodies, including mind.

KRS Sir,
Dear sir,

I know this question is not directed to me but from what I have understood, there is no actual need to " manage" the mind.

If we try to " manage" it we are only creating a new imprint called the " mind manager"

So what do we do?
Honestly for some of us its just do NOTHING.

You did ask about past memories and impressions and what about that?

The human mind thinks only with a comparison with what it previously knows.
So all memories and imprints function in order to make a relative comparison for us to think.

In other words our mind is dualistic.
It knows big because it compares with small..it knows good because it compares with bad.
The mind is NOT able to see things as it is until and unless it is able to be in the NOW and not drag in ourselves in every scenario.

So how do we go about this?
Well, there are many ways to this, most well known are.

1) Atma vichara
2) Bhakti as in surrender
I wont focus on Atma Vichara as I have no experience in that.

Bhagawan Ramana Maharishi himself has said one can surrender to God and let the Divine run your life for you.

In total surrender one does sadhana regularly mostly prayer based, japa, chanting and eventually some amount of " inner engineering" takes place and the mind stops being reactive and past impressions do not cloud the perception, some stop feeling the time axis and start to function in the Golden Mean Middle Path.

It would feel as if God hijacked your mind and body and He reveals to you even your day to day activity and to a great extent free will is lost.

This is the Dasa state where God is the Master who writes the best play for you to be in constant alignment with Him.

Its also at this stage all reading stops and the mind stops questioning or analyzing or intellectualizing..the process Bhagawan Ramana had described as UNLEARNING.

In the state of Unlearning one just simply exists in a BE AND IT IS format.

God and guru are in truth not different. Just as what has been caught in the jaws of a tiger will not return, so those who have been caught in the look [or glance] of guru’s grace will never be forsaken but will surely be saved by him; nevertheless, it is necessary to walk unfailingly in accordance with the path that guru has shown.

Verse 12 Nan Yar? (Who am I?)

The great seers transcend all philosophy and psychology and
directly plunge into spirituality or human contact with divine space. Is it not?
Leaving aside the the sadhus with ulterior motives or who
want to have a easy way of living, the other cases like Valmiki
who wrote Ramayana seem to have gone thru all three stages.
Except for the women folks, for most of whom the life values are a mix of mundane with divine ,psychologically they find it ok to rationalize their life experiences in terms of the divine space .They also cultivate prayers temple visits and other rituals in tune with their divine belief systems. Their ego levels
are kept in control,
such is not the case with Men in general who may be atheists or have belief systems that are different from the above and only in the fag end of their life they realise the value of divine space and spiritual content of life!
Why so?

The great seers transcend all philosophy and psychology and
directly plunge into spirituality or human contact with divine space. Is it not?
Leaving aside the the sadhus with ulterior motives or who
want to have a easy way of living, the other cases like Valmiki
who wrote Ramayana seem to have gone thru all three stages.
Except for the women folks, for most of whom the life values are a mix of mundane with divine ,psychologically they find it ok to rationalize their life experiences in terms of the divine space .They also cultivate prayers temple visits and other rituals in tune with their divine belief systems. Their ego levels
are kept in control,
such is not the case with Men in general who may be atheists or have belief systems that are different from the above and only in the fag end of their life they realise the value of divine space and spiritual content of life!
Why so?
Sri USaiyer Sir,

Lord Krishna says that only a tiny portion of the population seeks the ultimate Truth. Why so?

Getting tired of Samsara is not easy. It takes innumerable births as humans to come to this stage. And, even if one comes to this stage, one needs the grace of the Brahman to open the doors to this knowledge.

Just my take. Sri Iyest Sir may have a better response. Thanks.

Latest ads

Back