• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A poem a day to keep all agonies away!

Smt. NCV had an enviably beautiful and captivating voice.
I do not like the crooning done in false voice nowadays.

I like the full throated singing with abandon.
I do the same thing to the best of my abilities even now.
Actually I have gone back to my original pitch G (anju kattai) passing through F + from F
My mother would listen to my songs with closed eyes.
She would often say that singing is my emotional outlet since I may even laugh or cry when I sing. Tears may flow down but voice will be unaffected!
She liked my singing whether or not I had to teach my students.
Music for the sake of music is my motto!
Maybe we can enjoy the mood better when we shut off the visual disturbances. The same is true of singing.
Closing the eyes helps one to concentrate better on the song and be less disturbed by the external happenings.
Previous neighbors used to sit near their windows at the appointed time when I used to play veena and then sing.
Now top-heavy-characters-in charge-of-the-local-temple grant me permission to sing in my house!
How do you like it?
Singing is like breathing to me. By the way, whose permission do I need to breathe?

I was browsing for tamil poetry for pi mathematical 22/7, and landed on this:(:(:(
You have done an excellent job. Do you know why?

pi is non ending irrational number but 5/16 is finite and can be calculated accurately as = 0.3125.

117. Irrational Numbers

Followers of the Greek mathematician Pythagoras held numbers in great reverence and awe. Their chief belief was that “Integers” or the “whole numbers” held the secret of the Universe, concealed in them.

According to them any number can be expressed as a whole number or a ratio of two whole numbers. The numbers less than one, can be put as 49/50 or 91/100 etc. So they were duly shocked, when a strange type of number, which they named as “irrational number”, was discovered.

The length of the diagonal of a square, with unit length as its side, is given as the square root of 2, by Pythagoras Theorem. Try as they might, Pythagoreans could not put it as a ratio of two numbers, completely.

Depending on the accuracy of calculations, the value of the square root of 2 was 14/10 or 141/100 or 1414/1000 etc. It could never be completely revealed as the ratio of two whole numbers.

The same is true of many numbers. Perfect squares like 1, 4, 9, and 16 have their square roots as 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. But all the numbers lying in between these perfect squares, like 2,3,5,6,7,8, 10,11,12,13,14,15 have non-ending square roots, which are irrational numbers.

Pythagoreans were forbidden to reveal this startling discovery, under the pain of death. New and revolutionary discoveries have never been accepted or acclaimed easily.

Whether or not we want to have them, the irrational numbers do exist and we have learnt to live with them.

Visalakshi Ramani

சிந்தனை தந்த இந்திர ஜாலம்

#137. அருகிலும், தொலைவிலும்

சிறிய கல்லை கண் அருகில் வைத்தால்,
சிறந்த உலகம் மறைந்தே போய்விடும்;
தள்ளி நின்று கல்லைக் காண முயன்றால்
தட்டுப்படாது அச்சிறுகல் நம் பார்வைக்கு!

மனிதனின் மனமும் இதைப்போன்றே,
மாறி மாறி அனைத்தையும் அறிந்து கொள்ளும்;
அருகில் இருந்தால் குறை மிகப் பெரிது,
ஆகாசத்தில் இருந்தால் தெரியவே தெரியாது!

மரம், புல், பூண்டு, புதர்கள் என்று பலவாறு,
மாறுபட்டுக் காட்சி அளிப்பவை எல்லாம்,
மலை உச்சியில் நாம் நின்று பார்த்தால்,
மனத்தை மயக்கும் வெறும் பச்சை வெளியே.

உயரும் போது உள்ளமும், பார்வையும்,
உயர்வடைந்து நன்கு விரிந்து செல்லும்;
குறுகிய மனம் கொண்டால் வட்டம்,
குறுகி மிகச் சிறியதாக ஆகி விடும்.

அருகில் இருக்கும் போது மனிதரின்
அருமை பெருமைகள் தெரியாது, ஆனால்
உருவெடுக்கும் ஒரு விஸ்வ ரூபமாகவே
உள்ள சிறு குற்றம் குறைகள் எல்லாம்!

அருகில் உள்ளதை வெறுத்துத் தவிர்க்கவும் ,
தொலைவில் உள்ளதை விரும்பி விழைவதும்,
அறிந்துள்ளது நன்றாய் மனித மனம், இதை
அறிவோம் நன்கு, அறிவுள்ள எல்லோருமே.

விரும்பிப் போனால் அது விலகிப்போகும்,
விலகிப் போனால் அது விரும்பி வரும்!
கொஞ்சினால் மிஞ்சுவதும், மாறாய்
மிஞ்சினால் கொஞ்சுவதும் மனித இயல்பே.

பார்வையின் வட்டத்தை பெருக்குவோம்,
பாரினில் உயர்ந்ததை உள்ளுவோம்,
பரந்த மனத்தால், பரந்த பார்வையால்
சுரக்கும் இன்பமே பிறந்த பூமியில்!

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

#137. NEARER AND FARTHER.

If we hold a small very stone close to our eyes, it would hide the whole wide world sprawling in front of us. But if we toss it to the ground it most likely that we won’t able to even locate it.

It is the same thing with human mind. The faults of the near-ones look mountainous and the real mountains far away look like mole hills.

The trees, plants, shrubs, grass all look different to us. But if viewed from the top of a mountain everything appears just as patches of green.

When we stand on the mountain top our vision broadens and the minor differences do not show up. But when we stand on the ground, the differences stand out very well.

We always tend to magnify the minor faults of the people closer to us. The things and persons far away from us look perfect, attractive and likable.

There is saying that if we approach anyone with affection they will give us hard time. If we move away from someone, then he/she will come closer seeking our affection.

It is the same theory followed by a person and his shadow! Chase it and it will keep running away from you but turn back and it will start to follow you like a loyal puppy.

Let us widen the horizon of our vision. Let us think about the greatness of everything and learn to ignore its shortcomings. With a broad mind and broader vision, we will find the world a much better place to live in.

i read about maha periavah and about கமலா ஆரஞ்சு. he commented, which was in his front at that time and with sanskrit scholars around him , he asked what is it called in sanskrit?? some one answered नारङ्ग .
He asked someone to split it and ask them to count சுளை in each halves. He was told that five and six. He laughed and jokingly said so its name 6 and 5 ie ஆரஞ்சு ( ஆறு அஞ்சு)

In my school days, i happened to attend a lecture by கிருயானந்த வாரியார் at Hindu High School , Triplicane.
At that time திருவிளையாடல் cinema was running. Suddenly he asked one of the boys who was the father of Sri Muruga?? One boy said sivaji sir remembering the film திருவிளையாடல். As usual in his unperturbed way , he commented, yes he is right, as it is fashion to call the leaders as Nehruji, Gandhiji, Rajaji etc, by adding ji , he has added ji to Siva also. oh what a spontaneous answer, there was applause from the audience on hearing that. I still cherish his eloquence.

I was browsing for tamil poetry for pi mathematical 22/7, and landed on this:(:(:(
My attempt a long time ago - ( Posted in TB Foruma while ago https://www.tamilbrahmins.com/threads/riddles-in-thamizh-poems.9329/post-145766 )
1) ( 1997/2000? ஆண்டில் எழுதியது )
மூன்று உலகங்களும் துதிக்கும் தேவனே

ஒரு பாதத்தால் அரக்கனை அழித்தவனே

நான்கு வேதங்களும் போற்றுபவனே

ஒரு கரத்தில் உடுக்கை ஏந்தியவனே

ஐந்து பாணனை எரித்தவனே

ஒன்பது கிரகங்களின் நாயகனே

சிவ சக்தி இரண்டும் ஒன்றானவனே

ஆறுமுகனிடம் பிரணவ மந்திரம் கேட்டவனே

இந்தப்பித்தனுக்கும் கிருபை புரிவாயோ

It encodes the mathematical constant Pi = 3.1415926 each line in this represents one of these numbers - of course decimal point is omitted. கிருபை gives the hint. I am a fool - hence the word பித்தன்

that was superb, shri. mskmoorthy Well-known member.
for decimal point also you could have added,
ஓர் புள்ளியில் துவங்கும் நாயகனே
you can not call yourself a fool. பை (pi) is a contained clue.

hundred digits of pi 3.1415926535 8979323846 2643383279 5028841971 6939937510 5820974944 5923078164 0628620899 8628034825 3421170679 ... PI/4 = 1/1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 +

i read about maha periavah and about கமலா ஆரஞ்சு. he commented, which was in his front at that time and with sanskrit scholars around him , he asked what is it called in sanskrit?? some one answered नारङ्ग .
He asked someone to split it and ask them to count சுளை in each halves. He was told that five and six. He laughed and jokingly said so its name 6 and 5 ie ஆரஞ்சு ( ஆறு அஞ்சு)
I have been advised to eat citrus fruits and I like oranges best.
They are easy to peel (unlike the mosambi) and have a lovely tangy taste. But I find mostly 9 or 10 parts in it and never 11!

In my school days, i happened to attend a lecture by கிருயானந்த வாரியார் at Hindu High School , Triplicane.
At that time திருவிளையாடல் cinema was running. Suddenly he asked one of the boys who was the father of Sri Muruga?? One boy said sivaji sir remembering the film திருவிளையாடல். As usual in his unperturbed way , he commented, yes he is right, as it is fashion to call the leaders as Nehruji, Gandhiji, Rajaji etc, by adding ji , he has added ji to Siva also. oh what a spontaneous answer, there was applause from the audience on hearing that. I still cherish his eloquence.

This kind of ready wit has a lovely name in Sanskrit 'pratibhaa'.
Remember the Lady president who had the same name?

My attempt a long time ago - ( Posted in TB Foruma while ago https://www.tamilbrahmins.com/threads/riddles-in-thamizh-poems.9329/post-145766 )
1) ( 1997/2000? ஆண்டில் எழுதியது )
மூன்று உலகங்களும் துதிக்கும் தேவனே

ஒரு பாதத்தால் அரக்கனை அழித்தவனே

நான்கு வேதங்களும் போற்றுபவனே

ஒரு கரத்தில் உடுக்கை ஏந்தியவனே

ஐந்து பாணனை எரித்தவனே

ஒன்பது கிரகங்களின் நாயகனே

சிவ சக்தி இரண்டும் ஒன்றானவனே

ஆறுமுகனிடம் பிரணவ மந்திரம் கேட்டவனே

இந்தப்பித்தனுக்கும் கிருபை புரிவாயோ

It encodes the mathematical constant Pi = 3.1415926 each line in this represents one of these numbers - of course decimal point is omitted. கிருபை gives the hint. I am a fool - hence the word பித்தன்
Every one of can be called piththan since we are infatuated on different things but certainly on something always!

that was superb, shri. mskmoorthy Well-known member.
for decimal point also you could have added,
ஓர் புள்ளியில் துவங்கும் நாயகனே
you can not call yourself a fool. பை (pi) is a contained clue.
ஓர் is used only if the word following it starts with a vowel. Otherwise we have to use 'oru' and write 'oru puLLi'

Yes I only saw them, reading , I am sure will take lot of time, when I allocate time for reading one by one, thanks
Why 100 ? Even 1000 is available on net. for PI. Modern super computers will do it

yes wiki says so i accept your knowledge
ஓர், ஒரு என்பன ஒரே பொருள் தரும் இரு வேறு ஓசையுடைய சொற்களைப் பயன்படுத்தும் முறை.

ஓர் என்னும் எண்ணுப் பெயர் உயிரெழுத்து முன் ஓர் என்றும், உயிர்மெய் எழுத்து முன் ஒரு என்றும் ஒலிக்கும்.

They are easy to peel (unlike the mosambi) and have a lovely tangy taste. But I find mostly 9 or 10 parts in it and never 11!
may be for the name he suggested it cameout as 5 and 6.
for people like us we may not get, but in his case, he willed and it was

yes wiki says so i accept your knowledge
ஓர், ஒரு என்பன ஒரே பொருள் தரும் இரு வேறு ஓசையுடைய சொற்களைப் பயன்படுத்தும் முறை.

ஓர் என்னும் எண்ணுப் பெயர் உயிரெழுத்து முன் ஓர் என்றும், உயிர்மெய் எழுத்து முன் ஒரு என்றும் ஒலிக்கும்.

ANdAL's pasuram set me thinking about the difference between Or and oru.
ஓரிரவு, ஓரரசன், ஓருருளை.
ஒருத்தி மகன், ஒரு மனிதன், ஒரு குழந்தை.

#138. யானையும், பானையும்

அரச சபைக்கு அனைவரும் வந்தபின்,
அவசரமாக வரும் அறிஞர் ஒருவரை,
அரசன் கேட்டான், “ஏன் நீர் எப்போதும்
சரியான சமயத்துக்கு வருவதில்லை?”

அறிஞர் கூறினார் தன் பக்க நியாயத்தை,
“சிறு குழந்தை ஒன்று, தான் செய்யும் பல
குறும்புகளால் என்னைப் பாடு படுத்தும்,
வேறு வழி இல்லை! நேரம் ஆகி விடும்”.

“இத்தனை அறிவும் ஞானமும் உடைய,
சித்தனைப் போன்ற உம்மால் கூட, ஒரு
சிறு குழந்தையைச் சமாளிக்க இயலாதா?”
சிரித்துக் கொண்டே கேட்டான் அரசன்.

“நீங்களே பார்த்தால் தான் நம்புவீர்கள்.
நாளையே அந்தச் சிறு குழந்தையை
நானே இங்கு அழைத்து வருவேன்”,
நவின்ற படியே மறுநாள் வந்தார்!

குழந்தைக்கு அரசரைப் பார்த்த குதூகலம்;
குதித்து விளையாடிய படியே கேட்டது,
“எனக்கு ஒரு பெரிய யானை வேண்டும்!”
யானை வந்து நின்றது ஒரே நொடியில்!

மீண்டும் குழந்தை கேட்டது இப்போது,
“மண்ணால் செய்த பானை வேண்டும்!”
நொடியில் வந்தது ஒரு பெரிய பானை.
நீடித்த மகிழ்ச்சியில் மன்னன் இருக்க,

யானையையும், பானையையும் பார்த்த
குழந்தை சொன்னது அரசனிடம் அப்போது,
“யானையைத் தூக்கி இந்தப் பெரிய
பானையில் இப்போதே போடுங்கள்!”

யாரால் முடியும் இச் செயலைச் செய்ய?
யார் என்ன காரணம் சொல்லியும் கேளாமல்;
காலையும், கையையும் வேகமாக உதைத்துக்
கலவரம் செய்தது அச் சிறு குழந்தை.

இப்போது புரிந்தது அந்த அரசனுக்கு,
இவ்வுலகு அஞ்சும் அரசனானாலும்,
எல்லாம் செய்ய வல்லவராக இருந்தாலும்,
எல்லாமும் எப்போதும் செய்ய முடியாது!

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி

#138. AN ELEPHANT AND THE POT.

A wise man who was one of the advisers of the king, always arrived late to the king’s durbar. The king became curious and asked him one day what delayed his arrival every day?

The wise man said his young and extremely mischievous child gave him a hard time and invariably he got delayed everyday. The king wondered why such a wise adviser was unable to manage a mere child!

The wise man promised to bring his child along with him to the
durbar the next day, so that the king could understand what kinds of problems he had to deal with, on a daily basis.

The child was very happy to be the center of attraction in the King’s durbar. It wanted an elephant. Kings royal elephant with all it decorations was brought there immediately.

Now the child wanted a pot. A beautiful earthen pot duly decorated was brought in. Now the child demanded that the elephant must be placed inside the pot.

It was an impossible task but no amount of explanation could stop the child from bursting into tears. It started wailing loudly, kicking its legs and beating its hands and threw a terrible tantrum!

Now the king realized that even though he was an all powerful king, there were certain things beyond his capacity.

thanks madam, I stand corrected,
I have a doubt Great Kannadasan penned this song in ooty varai uravu
பூமாலையில் ஓர் மல்லிகை......
கவிஞர்களுக்கு இலக்கணம் மாறுமோ??

மனநிலை காணாமல் போகாது தொலைத்தாலும்.
Temper is a funny thing, You can not get rid of it by losing it.

யானை படம் வரைந்து பானைக்குள் போட்டவுடன் குழந்தை கை கொட்டி சிரித்தது.
தெனாலிராமன் கதை.

Latest ads

Back