• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A poem a day to keep all agonies away!

The moral of the story: attachment is monkey-business.

On a more serious note, the root cause of attachment is ignorance. The monkey has placed a greater value on the banana than its own freedom. To let go of the banana, it must exercise conscious detachment from the object of desire (a banana in this case). You consciously detach yourself from something for a few weeks and letting go happens automatically. You quit taking tea, for example, for a few weeks and the desire to have tea will let go of itself. Try it to believe me.

Besides, letting go isn’t as hard as it sounds. You let go of your thoughts, body and mind before you go to bed every night. In fact, it’s not possible to fall asleep without letting go. The rejuvenation and peace you experience in sleep is because you let go. If you want a similar feeling in your waking life then sooner or later, letting go is a must.

Whatever it is that you are attached to, it will tie you down. It’s as simple as that. Whether that’s good or bad is your personal perspective. The prison of mind is built using the bricks of desires that are cemented in attachment. Awareness is the only door, mindfulness the only window. Vairagya, detachment, is the only dozer to raze this prison.

If mind is a monkey, banana is the desire. That clenched fist is the attachment and the wise farmer symbolizes detachment. All climbed up on the tree of life. And, coconut? What’s coconut? It’s samsara.

Brilliant my friend!

We can let go if we see the negative side of the things. I am sure everything has a positive side as well as a negative side. Otherwise there will be no equilibrium anywhere anytime in anything.

When I imagine that Sugar and salt are poison for me due to my Diabetes and blood pressure, I am able to give them up completely or at least reduce the intake to minimum possible.
This is the easy way of giving up things by realizing their negative impact.

'Virakthi' is possible when there is no 'rakthi'. We are able detach very easily from people who do not like us, love us , understand us, tolerate us or just keep bullying us or nging us.

Actually my yoga guru used to say these very wise words.
"If you have one hundred beautiful saris wear them. If you have many costly jewels wear them. If you have a palatial house live in it. These are all bestowed on you for your good merits earned the past births. BUT DO SO WITHOUT GETTING ATTACHED TO ANYTHING YOU USE OR ENJOY."

So It is the mental attachment that causes the trouble more than actually possessing or using things.

King Janaka ruled a kingdom and enjoyed all the pleasures of a king's life - but he was considered as a vidEha as well as viraktha.

It is possible since it is all in the mind. When the mind is set right everything will fall in its place. It is as simple as that really.

சிந்தனை தந்த இந்திர ஜாலம்

#125. முனிவரும், நாகமும்

அரும் தவ முனிவர் ஒரு முறை கண்டார்,
கரு நிற நாகம்! கண்டவர்கள் ஓடும் படியாக;
எதிர்ப்பட்டவரை எல்லாம் துரத்தித் துரத்தி,
எதிப்பவர்களைக் கடித்துக் கொல்லும் நாகம்!

“உயிர்க்கொலை பாபம், நீ தவிர்ப்பது நலம்,
உயிரைப் பறிக்கும் படிக் கடிக்காதே”, என்று
நல்ல வார்ததைகள் கூறிய முனிவர் பின்னர்,
செல்லலானார் அவர் தம் வழியிலே.

மறுமுறை முனிவர் அவ்வழி வந்த போது ,
மண்டிய புண்களுடன் குற்று உயிராகி விட்ட,
நாகத்தைக் கண்டு மிகவும் வருந்தி வினவினர்,
“நன்றாக இருந்த நீ ஏன் இப்படி ஆகிவிட்டாய்?”

“உங்களால் எனக்கு ஏற்பட்டது இந்த கதி!
ஊராரை நான் கடிக்கவில்லை என்பதால்,
சின்னப் பிள்ளை முதல் பெரியவர்கள் வரை,
இன்னல் தந்ததால் காயம் அடைந்தேன்”.

“கடித்து கொல்ல வேண்டாம் என்று சொன்னேன்.
சீறி பயமுறுத்த வேண்டாம் என்று சொன்னேனா ?
அடி படாமல் காத்து கொள்ள நீ சீறத்தான் வேண்டும்.
சீறினால் தான் நாகம், சீறாவிட்டால் வெறும் கயிறு”

முனிவன் சொன்னது இப்போது புரிந்தது.
சினந்த நாகம் சீறியே தன்னை பிறரின்,
கல்லடிகளில் இருந்தும், தடி அடிகளில் இருந்தும்,
காத்துக் கொண்டு பின் நெடுநாள் வாழ்ந்தது

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி

#125. THE SAINT AND THE SERPENT.

A saint was walking through a village. He was horrified to see a black cobra which used to kill everyone in the village, who dared to cross its path!

He told the cobra,” Killing is a sin! It should be avoided at all costs. Do not kill anyone in the future with your poisonous fangs”.

The saint happened to pass through the same village some time later. Now he was truly shocked to see the cobra with many bleeding wounds on it s body – scarcely alive! He asked it what had caused such a state of affairs?

The snake replied, “It was because I listened to your advice and stopped killing people. They became very bold and started hitting me with sticks and stones – reducing me to this miserable condition!”

The saint replied, “I told you not to bite them. I never said you should not hiss to frighten them. You will be considered a snake only as long as you hiss. Otherwise you will be considered no better than a mere rope. One should not give up totally his inherent nature (swabhAvam)”

The snake understood the saint’s message correctly this time. He hissed to frighten away the people who came to hit him with stones or beat him with sticks. He lived for several years without killing anyone in the village and also without getting hit by them.

One should never give up one’s natural disposition completely and thereby become vulnerable in the eyes of the others.

I know a lady who wears her nakshatra diamond jewels, the way ordinary women war their costume jewelleries. She has many necklaces with pendants matching the saris she wears.

But she she shows absolutely no pride, no ego, no upmanship. She just wears them without getting attached to them nor is she self conscious of wearing them!

It is the usual practice to draw everybody's attention to that thing which one feels very proud of!

Small wonder she is getting more more 'D's any lady will die for!

Actually it is a spark that makes many wonderful things happen and also many deadly things happen!

A spark of light can dispel the densest darkness in a second.
A spark of knowledge can lead to total enlightenment

A spark of fire can make a room full of explosive explode
A spark of hatred may lead to violent crimes

A spark in the right place and the right time is all we need! A distant relative became even more distant when he got the spark he needed while attending a lecture in Hare Krishna temple,

He gave up his job in multinational company with an astronomical salary and is now one of the prominent swamijis there.

Another young nephew has renounced his family, his job and is happy to become a swamiji. He does not support his parents but the house built for him supports his parents - by earning enough rent to meet their expenses!

Do yo know where I get the sparks that have resulted in many of my poems and essays? I am a bathroom-thinker like the many others who are bathroom singers. :)

Something will flash in my mind when I am all alone and undisturbed by the external world and it will form the core of the next write up.

We must be grateful that we don't have to share public bathrooms as in some other countries - which will deny us even those precious moments of undisturbed solitude!

#126. தச அவதாரம்

மனிதர்களும் எடுக்கின்றார்கள்,
மண்ணுலகில் தச அவதாரங்கள்!

தந்தைக்கு நல்ல ஒரு மகனாகவும்,
மகனுக்குத் நல்ல தந்தையாகவும்;

தாத்தாவுக்குச் செல்லப் பேரனாகவும்,
பேரனுக்குப் பிடித்த தாத்தாவாகவும்;

அண்ணனுக்குத் தக்க தம்பியாகவும்,
தம்பிக்கு ஏற்ற அண்ணனாகவும்;

ஆசிரியருக்குச் சிறந்த மாணவனாகவும்,
மாணவனுக்கு உகந்த ஆசிரியராகவும்;

மாமனாருக்குப் பிரிய மருமகனாகவும்,
மருமகனுக்கு, உயர்ந்த மாமனாராகவும்!

கண்ணன் எடுத்த அவதாரங்களைக்
கண்கள் குளிரக் காண்போமா, நாம்?

மனிதர்களுக்கு அவன் ஒரு மாணிக்கம்;
மனம் கவர்ந்த மன்மதன், மாதர்களுக்கு!

கோபர்களுக்கு, நெருங்கிய நண்பன் அவன்;
கோபியருக்கோ, உள்ளம் கவர்ந்த காதலன்.

தேவகி வசுதேவருக்கு, நோற்றுப் பெற்ற புதல்வன்;
பாவிகளுக்குத் தண்டனை அளிக்கும் தர்மதேவன்.

பொல்லாத கம்சனுக்கு, அச்சம் தரும் காலதேவன்;
பொது ஜனங்களுக்கு, அவன் ஒரு சிறு குழந்தை.

யோகியருக்கு, எல்லாம் வல்ல பரமாத்மா;
ஞானியருக்கு, அவன் ஞானம் தந்த பரமன்.

கண்டவர் மனங்களில், கம்சன் அரண்மனையில்,
கண்ணன் நிலை பெற்று விளங்கியது, இவ்வண்ணமே!

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

#126. Dasa Avathaaram.

Everyday, each one of us play different roles and assume dasa avatArams!
A man is a son to his father; and a father to his son;
a grandson to his grandfather and a grandfather to is grandson;
a younger brother to his elder brother, and an elder brother to his younger brother;
a student to his teachers, and a teacher to his students;
a son in law to his father in law and a father in law to his son in law.
Krishna also appeared to assume different roles in the eyes of the beholders, when he lived on the earth as an avatar.
To all the men in the world, Krishna appeared as a ‘gem-among-men’!
To all the women, Krishna appeared as Manmathan – The God of Love.
To all the GopAlas (cowherds) He appeared as their bosom friend.
To all the gopikas (women of Gokulam), He was their secret lover;
To Devaki and Vasudev, He was their eighth son.
To the wicked people, He was the Dharma Devan (The God of Justice).
To Kansan He appeared as Yama Dharman (The God of Death)
To the general public He was a young boy in great trouble.
To the yogis He appeared as ParamAtma (The supreme God)
To the JnAnis, He appeared as the JnAna dhAthA ( Giver of true knowledge)
This is how Krishna appeared to the different people when he entered the durbar of Kansan.

Yes a spark indeed, which brings to my mind an old poem which I read about six decades back.
something which goes like this. Its about drinking.
Bar is a place where hot drinks are sold, yes true whoever has named, named it so well.
bar to heaven and a gateway to hell.
bar to all good things and a gate to all and bad things.
bar to good happy family and a gate to broken and so on....
It tells about bar to so many good things and a gateway to all unimaginable
comes naturally to people like you madam. Now that a spark has been given to you , go ahead. .
look forward to it...

A proverb is good enough for driving home this fact.
No need really for a poem or an essay!

694 (a). மது உள்ளே, மதி வெளியே.

694 (b). When the wine goes in, the wit goes out.

உள்ளே...வெளியே !!! ஆனால் இது
மங்காத்தா இல்லை.... மது அக்கா

மது உள்ளே ....மதி வெளியே
துன்பம் உள்ளே... இன்பம் வெளியே

வறுமை உள்ளே ...வளமை வெளியே
தனிமை உள்ளே ...இனிமை வெளியே

துக்கம் உள்ளே ...சுகம் வெளியே
குழப்பம் உள்ளே ....குடும்பம் வெளியே

இறுக்கம் உள்ளே ....ஒழுக்கம் வெளியே
சிறுமை உள்ளே ....பெருமை வெளியே

மூத்தவள் உள்ளே ...இளையவள் வெளியே
நோய்கள் உள்ளே ....நிம்மதி வெளியே!

குடியைக் கெடுக்கும், உயிரைக் குடிக்கும்,
குடிப் பழக்கம் தேவையா சிந்தியுங்கள் !!!

( இது போதுமா? இன்னமும் வேண்டுமா ??)

போதும்! போதும்! ! நீங்கள் என்ன சொன்னாலும் எழுதினாலும்
கேட்கவும் படிக்கவும் மாட்டோம் என்று குடிமகன்கள் சொல்லும்
போது......
man takes the drink and drink takes the man.....

வரப்புயர நீர் உயரும், நீர் உயர நெல் உயரும்,
நெல் உயர குடி உயரும், குடிஉயர கோல் உயரும்
கோல் உயர கோன் உயர்வான்

அவ்வையாரின் இந்த பாடல் பழையது.

இப்போது டாஸ்மாக் வருமானம் உயர
குடி உயரும்,, அரசு வருமானம் உயரும்.

போதும்! போதும்! ! நீங்கள் என்ன சொன்னாலும் எழுதினாலும்
கேட்கவும் படிக்கவும் மாட்டோம் என்று குடிமகன்கள் சொல்லும்
போது......
man takes the drink and drink takes the man.....
Man drinks alcohol first!
Later alcohol drinks him!

வரப்புயர நீர் உயரும், நீர் உயர நெல் உயரும்,
நெல் உயர குடி உயரும், குடிஉயர கோல் உயரும்
கோல் உயர கோன் உயர்வான்

அவ்வையாரின் இந்த பாடல் பழையது.

இப்போது டாஸ்மாக் வருமானம் உயர
குடி உயரும்,, அரசு வருமானம் உயரும்.

Since the varumaanam becomes high without passing through the intermediate steps involved, there won't be improvement in any of these things as stated in the poem!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJz66wm95-M&authuser=0
வரப்பு, நீர், நெல், குடி உயரும், கோல், கோன் :(

#127. முதலைக் கண்ணீர்!

ஆற்றின் கரையில் ஒரு நாவல் மரம்,
அதில் வசித்த ஒரு அறிவுள்ள குரங்கும்,
நீரில் வாழ்ந்து வந்த ஒரு முதலையும்,
நீண்ட நாட்களாய் நெருங்கிய நண்பர்கள்!

தினம் தினம் பேசிப் பழகிய அவைகள்,
தித்திக்கும் நாவல் பழங்களைப் பகிர்ந்து,
தின்று மகிழ்ந்து, நேரம் போவதே தெரியாமல்,
தினம் தினம் அளவளாவியபடி இருந்தன.

தன் மனைவிக்கும் சில நாவல் பழங்கள்
தன் மனம் மகிழக் கொடுக்க விரும்பி,
சில பழங்களை முதலை ஒரு நாள் காலை
மலர்ந்த முகத்துடன் எடுத்துச் சென்றது.

முதலை நல்லது ஆயினும் அதன் மனைவி,
முதல் தரமான பொல்லாத பெண் போக்கிரி!
குரங்கு தந்த பழ ருசியில் மயங்கியவள்,
குரங்கின் குடலையே சுவைக்க விரும்பினாள்!

ரகளை செய்து கண்ணீர் வடித்து அவள்
முதலையின் மனத்தை மாற்றி விட்டாள்!
“ஏதாவது பேசி ஏமாற்றி என்னிடம் அந்த
ஏமாளிக் குரங்கை அழைத்து வாரும்!”

“இனிக்கும் பழங்கள் கொடுத்த உனக்கு
இனிப்பு வகைகளைத் தர வேண்டுமாம்!
தவறாமல் வரச் சொன்னாள் என் மனைவி”
தவறான எண்ணத்தில் முதலை கூறியது.

முதலையின் பேச்சை நம்பிய குரங்கும்
முதலையின் முதுகில் அமர்ந்து சென்றது.
“தப்ப வழி இனி இல்லை” என்றது முதலை,
“இப்போது எங்கள் உணவு உன் குடலே!”

அப்பாவி ஆனாலும் அறிவாளி! ஆகையால்,
தப்பும் வழியை குரங்கு கண்டு கொண்டது.
“குடலைக் கழுவிக் காய வைத்துள்ளேன்.
உடனே வந்தால் நான் எடுத்துத் தருவேன்!”

மரத்தின் அருகே சென்றதும் நொடியில்
முதலையின் முதுகில் இருந்த குரங்கு
தாவி குதித்துத் தன் மரத்தில் ஏறியது!
“தா உன் குடலை” என்ற முதலையிடம்,

“உடலில் இருந்து வெளியே எடுக்க முடியுமா
குடலை நான் உயிருடன் உள்ளபோதே?
உண்மை பேசாத நண்பன் வேண்டாம்,
உனக்கும் உன் நடப்புக்கும் விடை” என்றது.

பேராசை பெரும் கேடு ஆனது!
மாறாத நண்பனையும் இழந்து,
நாவல் பழங்களையும் இழந்து,
நாவடைத்துப் போயிற்று முதலை!

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

#127. Crocodile tears.

A monkey living on a tree near a river and a crocodile lining in the river were thick friends for a long time. They used to share the jamoon fruits of the tree and spend time together everyday.

One day the crocodile wanted to take some of the fruits to his wife. The monkey obliged by picking the best fruits from the tree.
The crocodile was a good hearted fellow but his wife was a she-devil. She liked the taste of the sweet fruits so much that now she wanted to taste the monkey – who had been feeding on these fruits all his life!

The wife argued, coaxed and threatened her husband into submission and told him to bring the monkey to their place on some pretext, so that they can eat him up.

On the next day the crocodile invited his friend the monkey to a feast arranged by his wife in his honor. The monkey never doubted the words of his long time friend and readily hopped on his back.

When the crocodile was sure that the monkey was at his mercy and could not escape, he revealed his true plan for the feast. The monkey was trusting his friend out of faith but he was also very clever animal.

“I have washed and hung out my stomach for drying . If you had told me then and there, I would a have given it to you happily. If you take me back to my tree, I can hand it over to you in a second.”

The foolish crocodile believed the monkey now and took him back to the tree where he lived. The monkey hopped off its back and climbed to the top most branch of the tree.

He asked the crocodile, “Can any animal remove his stomach from his body while he was still alive? I do not want to be your friend any longer. You are treacherous and not trustworthy. Go back to your waterhole”

The crocodile stood speechless and aghast as he had lost a good friend and the lifetime supply of the sweet jamoon fruits – all in one stroke.

Moral of the story…

Value your friendship more than the vile words of your wicked spouse.

Asai ( ambition) makes a person progress in life
On the other hand Greed (pErAsai) destroys him completely.

#038. ஏழு ஜாடித் தங்கம்
அரசனுக்கு நாவிதனான அவன்
பரம சுகமாகவே வாழ்ந்து வந்தான்.

இல்லை எந்தக் குறையும், அரசன்
அள்ளித் தந்த தங்கக் காசுகளால்.

காட்டு வழியே செல்லும்போது, ஒரு
காட்டுக் குரல் அவனிடம் கேட்டது,

“வேண்டுமா உனக்கு ஏழு ஜாடித் தங்கம்?”
“வேண்டும்! வேண்டும்!” என்றான் அவன்.

மரத்தில் வாழ்ந்த யக்ஷனின் குரலே அது!
மரத்திலேயே அவன் மறைந்திருந்தான்.

“வீட்டுக்குப் போவாய்! நான் உன்னுடைய
வீட்டிலேயே வைத்து விட்டேன் அதை!”

ஓட்டமும் நடையுமாக, மூச்சிரைக்க
வீட்டை அடைந்தவன் அங்கு கண்டது

அழகிய வேலைப்பாடுகள் நிறைந்த
ஏழு ஜாடிகளில் தங்கக் காசுகள்!

ஆறு ஜாடிகள் நிரம்பி வழிந்தாலும்,
ஒரு ஜாடியில் குறைவாக இருந்தது.

மறு எண்ணம் இல்லாமல் அவன்
நிரப்ப முயன்றான் அந்த ஜாடியை.

தன் செல்வங்கள் அனைத்தையும்,
தன் முன் உள்ள ஜாடியில் இட்டான்.

வீட்டில் இருந்த பொருட்களை எல்லாம்
விற்றுத் தங்கமாக மாற்றி இட்டான்.

அரசனிடம் கெஞ்சியும், கூத்தாடியும்,
அதிகக் காசுகள் பெற்று இட்டான்.

பிச்சை எடுத்தும் கூட முயன்றான்;
இச்சை மட்டும் நிறைவேறவில்லை.

மாய ஜாடி நிறையவே இல்லை!
மன்னன் அவனிடம் கேட்டான்,

“முன்னம் நன்றாக இருந்தாய் நீ!
இன்னம் கூலி அதிகம் பெற்றாலும்,

சின்னத்தனம் ஏன் சொல்? உனக்கு
மின்னும் ஏழு ஜாடிகள் கிடைத்தா?”

திடுக்கிட்ட நாவிதனிடம், அரசன்
வெடுக்கென்று சொன்னான் இதை,

“ஒரு தங்கக் காசு கூட உன்னால்
விரும்பிச் செலவு செய்ய முடியாது!

ஒரு நாளும் அந்த மாய ஜாடியை
ஒருவராலும் நிரப்பவே முடியாது!

அது இருந்தாலே உன் குடும்பம்
அகதி ஆகிவிடும் திருப்பிக் கொடு!”

காட்டையடைந்து யக்ஷனிடம் சொன்னான்,
“மீட்டுக்கொள் உன் ஏழு தாங்க ஜாடிகளை;

வீட்டை விட்டுப் போனாலே போதும்;
மாட்டி விட்டு வேடிக்கை வேண்டாம்!”

“நல்லது அப்படியே” என்றான் யக்ஷன்.
நல்ல காலம் பிறக்கும் என்று நம்பி,

வீட்டை அடைந்தால் ஜாடிகளை அவன்
போட்டிருந்த செல்வத்துடனே காணோம்!

புது வெள்ளம் பழைய வெள்ளத்தை அடித்துப்
போவதுபோல எல்லாமே மறைந்து விட்டன!

பேராசை பெரு நஷ்டம் ஆனதால்,
நிராசை மிகவும் அடைந்தான்.

அனைத்தையும் இழந்து நின்றதால்,
களைத்துப் போய்விட்டான் அவன்.

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி

Please use the link given below to read this story in English

well written...(y)(y)
Greed brings loss.
Desire is wanting something with all our heart. It is like a wish. Whereas, greed is desire gone out of control. Greed is wanting to possess more than one needs or deserves.
Greed can never be satiated. The more a greedy man gets, the more he wants.
There is sufficiency in the world for man's need, but not for man's greed. - M. K. Gandhi
Need and Want beautifully explained

There is one more thing which will complete it. That is, Need. And it goes like this =>

Need < Desire < Greed

Need comes from the requirements. You need food to live and you need money to buy it.

Desire comes after need. When your need of food is fulfilled and your hunger is vanished; the feeling to eat something extra and tasty, i.e. desert, is desire.

And desire turns into greed, when you want to have all of it and always have it with you. And to fulfill this desire, you may kill someone's else's need. That gives birth to greed.

Sadly most people do not ( or cannot) differentiate between their real need and utter greed! :(
One may even say," I do not care about my needs but I can't do without my luxuries!"
More and more things which were considered luxuries are now fast becoming needs. Even in cool Coimbatore many people can't sleep without air conditioners!
People look down on neighbors who don't own the (mad) modular kitchen or a microwave oven.
The modular kitchen is enough to drive new persons working in the kitchen mad - since they won't know what is hiding where! :(

The real needs are Air, Water, a simple balance diet, clothes to cover the body and roof over the head.
The difference creeps up when people set standards for these basic necessities in life!
The difference may assume gigantic proportions - paving way for the sharp contrasts in the living standard of the people!

You must have heard of The 99 club.
They must reach the 100 by hook or crook!
It keeps them awake all night and disturbed all day!!!
Instead of enjoying and thanking Heavens for bestowing The 99 on them they are morose and upset that they can't reach The 100!

#128. அடங்கிய பசி

துர்வாச முனிவரும், பதினாயிரம் சீடர்களும்,
துரியோதனனைக் காண வந்தனர், ஒருநாள்.
கோபக்கார முனிவரை நன்கு உபசரித்து,
சாபம் வராமல் பார்த்துக்கொண்டான் அவன்.

‘தனக்கு ஒருகண் போனாலும் பரவாயில்லை,
தன் எதிரிக்கு இருகண்களும் போகவேண்டும்’,
என்று எண்ணும் மனிதருள் ஒருவன்தானே,
என்றும் சினந்திருக்கும், அந்த துரியோதனன்!

“வரம் நான் தருவேன்” என்னும் முனிவரிடம்,
வரம் என்ன அவன் கேட்டான் என அறிவீரா?
“பஞ்ச பாண்டவர்களிடமும் நீங்கள் சென்று,
கொஞ்சமேனும் உணவு அருந்த வேண்டும்”.

“அறுவர்களான அவர்களும், மனைவியும்,
அறுசுவை உணவை உண்டுவிட்டுச் சுகமாக
அமர்ந்திருக்கும்போதே, செல்லவேண்டும்
அவர்களிடம், அங்கே” என்று வேண்டினான்.

பரீட்சை செய்து பார்ப்பதில், அளவிலாத
பிரீத்தி உடைய முனிவரும், அவ்வாறே
கானகத்தில் உள்ள அறுவரையும் தேடி,
மாணவர்களுடனே தாம் செல்லலானார்.

வனவாசம் தொடங்கும் முன்பு, தருமனுக்கு
வானில் உலவும் சூரியதேவன் அளித்தான்,
அதிசயமான அக்ஷய பாத்திரம் ஒன்று;
அறுசுவை உணவினை அளிக்க வல்லது!

அனைவரும் உண்டபின், சுத்தம் செய்தால்,
அன்றைய சக்தி மறைந்தே போய்விடும்.
அறுசுவை உணவினை, அடுத்த நாளிலேயே,
அற்புதக் கலயம் அளிக்க வல்லது, மீண்டும்.

“நீராடி விட்டு வருகின்றோம், நாங்கள்;
சீரான உணவைத் தயார் செய்யும்”, என
முனிவரும், சீடரும் அகன்று செல்லவே,
முனிவரின் சாபத்துக்கு அஞ்சிய திரௌபதி,

“கண்ணா எங்களைக் காப்பாய்” என வேண்ட,
கண்ணன் நின்றான், அவள் கண் முன்னாலே!
“உண்பதற்கு ஏதேனும் தருவாய் எனக்கு,
உடனடியாக நீயும்” என்று அவன் சொல்லவே,

“சோதனை மேல் சோதனை இன்று, ஏன்?”
வேதனையுடன், திரௌபதி மிகவும் வருந்த,
அக்ஷயபாத்திரத்தில் தேடிக் கண்டுபிடித்தான்,
அடியில் ஒரு பருக்கைச் சோறும் கீரையும்!

“விஸ்வரூபனான ஹரியின் பசி அடங்கட்டும்”
விஸ்வரூபன் கண்ணன் வாயில் இட்டான்.
முனிவரை அழைத்துவர, அனுப்பினான் பீமனை.
முனிவரோ, “பசியில்லை மன்னியுங்கள்” என்றார்.

பசி தீர்ந்தது, அவன் உண்ட பருக்கையால்;
பசி தீர்ந்தவர், தம் வழியே சென்றுவிட்டனர்.
விஸ்வரூபன் விளையாடிய லீலையினை,
வியந்தபடி நின்றனர், பஞ்ச பாண்டவர்கள்!

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

#128. Krishna’s hunger

When DhurvAsa maharishi visited along with his 10,000 disciples, Duryodhanan took very good care of them – playing the part of the perfect host. He was secretly afraid that he may incur the wrath and curse of this short tempered rishi. So when everything went off well, the rishi wanted to bestow upon Dhuryodhanan a special boon.

Any normal person would have have asked for health, wealth, strength, beauty, good health etc but being who he was Dhuryodhanan made a strange request. He wanted to use the boon to get the PANdavas into deep trouble with the short tempered rishi.

So he requested that the rishi must visit the PANdavas in the forest with all his 10,000 disciples, when PANdavas and PAnchAli were resting after their meal. The rishi agreed promptly.

Before the onset of PANdava’s Vana vaasam (life in the forest),
The Sun God had presented Dharman with an Akshaya pAthram (a wish yielding divine vessel).

As its name suggested the wonderful vessel can produce any amount of any food PANdavas desired. But once it was cleaned, it would lose its power for the rest of that day. It could produce more food only on the next day.

The rishi and his 10,000 disciples visited PANdavas and told them to keep their food ready while they went to take a bath. PAnchAli was greatly agitated since she had already cleaned the vessel on that day. She prayed to Lord Krishna to help her out of the imminent trouble.

Lord Krishna appeared in front of her and demanded for food as He was extremely hungry. PAnchAli was almost in tears – unable to offer him any food. Krishna took the vessel and found a single grain of cooked rice and a small piece of spinach stuck to the bottom of the vessel.

He scraped them out carefully, put them in his mouth and said,”May the hunger of Sri Hari, the viswaroopan (one who manifests as the Universe) be appeased”

Krishna was the viswaroopan and so the hunger of every living thing was appeased. Beema was sent to bring the rishi and his disciple for eating food. But they were feeling so full that they excused themselves and left the place abruptly.

PANdavas and PAnchAli were amazed at the subtle and delicate way Krishna had handled the explosive situation and sent the rishi away without incurring his wrath and curse!

yes true...I remember my school when my brother was the only earning member in my family of nine, and the salary was a meagre two digits. He brings two sets of school uniform for deepavali, and alas now you wardrobe is havingdozen of pants and shirts, and every month is deepavali for us. how we have moved from need to want

Latest ads

Back