• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Woman CAN keep a secret!

Status
Not open for further replies.
shanthi muhurtham!! did not the vadhiar also participated? i think when this happened in olden days (100 years ago in time of child marriage) the vathiar taught the groom, ............
Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

I burst into laughter reading this! There are some manthrams to be chanted and ONLY for that purpose the

vAdhyAr enters the room! Now a days, all the homams are done in 'capsule form' in the morning and the couple

are set free after lunch because no 'nalungu' in many weddings and even the wedding reception is arranged on

the day prior to the wedding! :)

P.S: Some brides and grooms introduce the partner as, 'My would be!' with a shy smile on the face! Great to watch!! :thumb:

renu,

reminded me when i was about 12 or 13. One of my friends (male) came rushing one evening out of the house, shouting out that his mama ponnu (who was visiting them) had matured.

Apparently he was egged on by a couple of his relations, as this guy, sae age as me, had no clue what it meant. Neither did most of us, and we too shouted all over the street, that this guy's mama ponnu has matured.

The poor girl, must have been so embarassed. The family quietly slipped out that night, and afaik, never visited our street again. The guy involved, like me, is a sixty year. I dont know where he is, but i wonder, if he ever remembers these things.

No, he did not marry his mama ponnu.

lol!

Supportive mother:

A daughter should have confidence in her parents, especially her mother to share her secrets with her easily.

The mother should understand and be support her and take her in the right path. If the mother happens to be

a nagging type, then the daughter tends to have more and more secretive person!

True friends:

It takes a few years for the friends to have confidence in us to share their secrets. This is because they want

to make sure that it will not be broadcast to all others! :director:

Dear RR ji,

yes you are right...one needs to be frank to kids too.

The other day I decided to test my son's knowledge on reproduction/sex etc cos this topic is covered in his school syllabus.

He could answer every question that he needed to know.

Then I wanted to know his orientation and I asked him

When you grow up who would you want to marry:

a) A girl

b) A guy

c) Both

He told me "amma I am not gay or bisexual..so if I marry...I will marry a girl"

See how simple to teach kids..just prepare some MCQs and we can teach them basics of facts of life.

Dear Renu,

I am reminded of a joke! A father taught his son the 'facts of life'.

The kid asked, 'Ok dad! This is theory! When is the practical?' :D

One more:

A mother told her tiny tot son that his baby sister is brought by a stork.

All the babies in the neighborhood also were brought by storks!
The kid finally asked, 'Mom! Do you mean there are NO kids born in the natural way?' :decision:

images

Here is an interesting article! (May be by A M Sir's sibling?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've just shared a secret with a woman, you've got 32 minutes until she tells all.

That's the findings from a study commissioned by skincare company
Simple, which polled 3,000 British women,

reports the Daily Mail
. No matter how personal or confidential the information, one in 10 women admitted to being

unable to keep a secret, while almost half who took part said they'd often felt the need to offload their secrets to

someone.
Affairs, plastic surgery and relationship problems topped the list of gossip shared, reports the Mirror.

But telling all has its consequences. One in 10 women quizzed said they'd fallen out with a friend over letting secrets

slip, notes
The Mirror. "This poll clearly shows that women really struggle to keep secrets," said Simple Spokesman

told the Daily Mail

"Spilling the beans in just 32 minutes is very fast work, but with modern technology someone's juicy secret can be

spread to huge amount of people all over the world in a very short space of time."
But if you happen to believe the

stereotype that the fairer sex talks more than men, think again. In 2007, NPR reported on
a study out of the University

of Arizona
that found men talk more than women, especially when engaged in conversation with their wives or strangers.

Women on the other hand tend to
speak more to college classmates or children.

With 80% of our conversation made up of gossip, the struggle to steer clear of the dirt on friends or celebrities may

not be our fault. According to John L. Locke, author of
"Eavesdropping: An Intimate History" and "Duels and Duets:

Why Men and Women Talk So Differently"
, there may be an evolutionary reason why humans gossip as it serves as a

policing of unwanted behavior in society

Source:
Women Keep Secrets For 32 Minutes, Study Shows

Here is a funny poem on how a :gossip:
spreads!

ஆயிரம் காக்கைகள்!

ஒருவன் நண்பனிடம் வேகமாக ஓடி வந்து,
'ஒரு அதிசயம் தெரியுமா?', எனக் கேட்டான்!

தப்பாது உற்சாகம் அவனைத் தொற்றிவிட,
'இப்போதே விஷயத்தைக் கூறு', என்றான்!

'அடுத்து உள்ள ஊரில், ஆயிரம் காக்கைகளை
எடுத்தானாம் ஒருவன், வாய் வழியாக!' எனச்

சொல்ல, மிகவும் அதிர்ந்தவன் வினவினான்,
சொன்னது யார் என்று; யாரெனத் தெரிந்ததும்,

அவனிடம் சென்று விசாரிக்க, அவனோ, 'நான்
அவனிடம் சொன்னது நூறு காக்கைகளே!' என,

அந்த விஷயம் கூறியவனைத் தேடிச் செல்ல,
'இந்த விஷயம் நான் சொல்லவில்லை; நான்

ஒரு காக்கை என்றுதானே கூறினேன்', என்றிட,
ஒரு காக்கை என்றவனை, அவன் தேடிச் செல்ல,

'இது என்ன அநியாயம்! நான் சொன்னதே வேறு!
பொதுவாகக் கருப்பு நிறத்தில் வாயிலே வந்தது,

என்றுதானே சொன்னேன்', என்று தெளிவாக்க,
'ஒன்று மட்டும் கூறு; யார் இதைச் செய்தவன்?'

தொடுத்த வினாவுக்கு பதில் வந்ததும், விடாது
அடுத்ததாகக் காணச் சென்றான், வாயிலெடுத்த

பிருஹஸ்பதியை! நடந்ததைக் கேட்டு, சிரித்து,
'பிரமாதமாக ஒன்றும் நடக்கவே இல்லையே!

வயிறு கலக்கிச் சங்கடம் செய்தது, நேற்றைய
தயிரில் ஏதோ பூச்சியைக் கண்டதால்! நானும்

நண்பனிடம், வாயில் எடுப்பேனோ, என்னவோ,
என்றுதானே சொன்னேன்!' என்று விளக்கினான்!

:blah:

Dear Tmt RR

Your post # 108

I think that study was just being polite to women - 32 minutes is a very long time for a woman to hold
some news [gossip] - she'll probably get a brain hemorrhage due to intracranial pressure if she doesn't
off-load it within 10 minutes.

That's probably why they make excellent news readers - Lyse Ducet, Mishal Hussain, Geeta Gurumurthy [ BBC], Monita Rajpal, Amanpour [CNN],and in the Indian channels - we have the likes of Barkha Dutt, Natasha Jog, Radhika Roy,
Maya Mirchandani, Uma Sudhir, Jenifer Arul, Monodeepa Banerjee, and the very Desi DD had their Gitanjali Iyer and Minu
for English and Shobana Ravi for Tamil.

Dona Bishop's comentating during IPL matches was far better than a Dean Jones or a Danny Morrison or even
a Harsha Bogle.

Lucky ladies - imagine being paid handsomely for something they'd been doing anyway [ conveying news]
- that's like paying a fish to swim. Man [read humans] have to learn to swim - very few men [now read men] have
been able to share the same space - Melvin D'Mello, Sushil Jadeli, Prannoy Roy, Vishnu Som and recently
Ornob Goswamy.

That study, I guess is just being polite to the ladies - with that 32 minutes cut-off . Anything
beyond 10 minutes is a disaster.

Capt VT

Lucky ladies - imagine being paid handsomely for something they'd been doing anyway [ conveying news]
- that's like paying a fish to swim. Man [read humans] have to learn to swim - very few men [now read men] have
been able to share the same space - Melvin D'Mello, Sushil Jadeli, Prannoy Roy, Vishnu Som and recently
Ornob Goswamy.

That study, I guess is just being polite to the ladies - with that 32 minutes cut-off . Anything
beyond 10 minutes is a disaster.

Capt VT

One of our distant relatives, a spinster lady working as a teacher, did not confide even in her mom when she

developed a small lump in her body. Till she vomited blood one day, no one knew that she had breast cancer.

Poor lady! She died soon since the cancer was in a very advanced stage!

Keeping such a secret is not a wise decision. :tsk:

One of our distant relatives, a spinster lady working as a teacher, did not confide even in her mom when she

developed a small lump in her body. Till she vomited blood one day, no one knew that she had breast cancer.

Poor lady! She died soon since the cancer was in a very advanced stage!

Keeping such a secret is not a wise decision. :tsk:

hi RR madam,

these things very common in spinster mamis....lol

Dear Tmt RR

You are correct - I did spell his name wrong. He was Melville D'Mello. He was one of the 'greats' along with
other trainers from the BBC, who taught us the fine-art of news presentation. It was in the early 70's,
when DD Madras had its own English News - I was one of the chaps selected after audition - I was in
the 2nd batch that never went on air - English News was shifted to Delhi by DD. They used to then pay
something like Rs 75/- for a time slot on air to the news reader.

We all held Melville D'Mello with an air of awe - I have an old [spool type] tape of his voice on AIR - marathon coverage
of the cortege of M.K.Gandhi - I don't have a Grundig to play it. Will have to get it restored through some known
people in the MGR Film Institute, Chennai.

D'Mello's widow - a pretty aged, respectable and lovable lady recently got her pension enhanced from Rs 1500/-
to Rs 5000/- per month !

You might remember H.Ramakrishnan [ worked for Indian Bank then ], Ramu Damodaran [ went on to do his
IAS ] and Smt Shobana Ravi who went on become legendary Tamil News readers - their pronunciation and
intonation was just perfect.

Somehow, they managed to get the news across amid long spells of " Thadangalukku Varundhugirom" breaks!

I stand corrected.

Capt VT

Dear A M Sir,

How could you forget the one and only Mrs. Saroj Narayanasamy (AIR) and Mrs. Sandhya Rajagopal (DD)?

IMHO, Mrs. Sandhya is any day better than Mrs. Shobana. (The latter's modulation sometimes panics me!)

P.S:
Melville de Mellow (spelling as in Wiki) was my dad's favorite news reader! :thumb:

Dear Tmt RR

Your post # 121

Yes Mam, I know that Emma De Mellow passed away - you really can't call it 'old' news.
The passing away of MGR / Periyar / Kamaraj / Rajaji, may be termed 'old' news.

I mentioned about her because of the way 'the system' treated her. Poor thing, subsisted
on a pension of Rs 1500/=. I have read a few short stories written by her - mostly dealt with the
times of the bloody partition of the Indian sub-continent.

Mr M. De Mellow [ you'll hold me by the collar, if I spelt it wrong again], sure was any listener's delight.
Nobody could've done a better job than he on the Eastern Front [ Indo-Pak war 1971 ] - these were
hourly bulletins when the Mukti Bahini was fighting alongside the Indian Army against Gen Niazi's Pak Army

My Father was posted in the Western Front fighting Gen Yahya Khan's army and two of my uncles were fighter
pilots in the IAF. One of them flew with Wg Cdr Keeler, who [almost] single-handed, immobilized the Karachi
air force base - giving IAF the vital 'time advantage' over the better equipped PAF.

Listening to the hourly bulletins -[ De Mellow's voice ] was something like establishing a personal link with a close
relative actually on the fighting front. Then a few years later, when he was actually there for the audition screening,
for DD, I just froze - all rules forgotten " show no emotion, look straight into the lights, watch your timing, don't
make obvious bodily movements while changing sheets, don't put on an accent, drop the heavy sounds typical
of South Asian languages, don't stammer, don't repeat lines ................. ( there were so many ) all vanished
in a jiffy. I was lucky - there were two chaps before me with 15 minute slots each - gave me some time to
regain my composure. When I saw him there, I just felt like running away! There had been four rounds of elimination
before this, and I had gotten thus far. Now here he was for the 'finals' as The Head of the panel!
I was number 8 in list of 12 selected - but my moonji never made it to the screen.
[ DD shifted the English News telecast to Delhi ]

I had chance to 'meet' him again in 1981 - lawns of the Lawley Institute, Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw
was the host. Both LEGENDARY men that I hold in very high regard.

I am not surprised that De Mellow was your father's favorite - but he was no ordinary news reader.

Yay Yem

Last edited:

:focus:

This is rather alarming! :shocked:

Q: Can keeping secrets be bad for you?

A: Yes. Keeping secrets can cut you off from others. If you have to keep a difficult secret for a long

time, it can provoke anxiety and worry. Living with these emotions can lead to stress which can lead

to stomachaches and headaches. Sometimes with secrets there are no easy answers. Part of growing

up is making that hard decision to keep silent. But that hardship is important in helping us define who

we are and what we believe in.

Soruce:
Can You Keep A Secret?

:focus:

This is rather alarming! :shocked:

Q: Can keeping secrets be bad for you?

A: Yes. Keeping secrets can cut you off from others. If you have to keep a difficult secret for a long

time, it can provoke anxiety and worry. Living with these emotions can lead to stress which can lead

to stomachaches and headaches. Sometimes with secrets there are no easy answers. Part of growing

up is making that hard decision to keep silent. But that hardship is important in helping us define who

we are and what we believe in.

Soruce:
Can You Keep A Secret?

very very true. it is a big burden to keep secret. and to some, a health hazard.

my mom was one of those rare people, who would listen patiently, and would not mention about it at all. as a result, she was privy to so many confidences. and after she passed away, people were surprised, that neither me or my sister knew nothing about some of those stuff that passed into her ears. she was that Good in respecting confidences.

Last edited:
Tmt RR

Your post # 123

Good idea. I think you should start a VRRR TV - 24 hour news [ read gossip / secret ] channel
where TBF members can get it FOC - DTH.

" News - Best Medicine " - can avoid headaches, stomachaches, migraine, indigestion, anxiety, stress,
tension and brain hemorrhage.

Capt VT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back