• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Wisdom Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Birbal Stories... Solve Your Problems The Birbal Way....

My dear friends,

My perception of reading an article is first and foremost to enjoy reading, second to learn something new out of it, and third and most important is to get inspiration and relaxation after reading it. There is no better article than “Birbal and his ability to solve the problems” to get inspiration and we can adapt one or two tips from his principles in our lives too.
Here is a new thread for all of us to read, to enjoy, to inspire and to relax…
So, Come on friends, let us together… Relax, Recreate and Re invent our childhood once again through this witty yet wise Birbal- one of the Navaratnas of Akbar the great’s court.. Regards Anandi
Learn your way
One day Akbar asked Birbal, "Birbal, can you tell me how many bangles are on your wife's hand?" Birbal said, "No, Huzoor, I cannot." "You cannot? Although everyday you see her hand, still you cannot tell how many bangles are on her hand? How is that?" said Akbar.
Birbal said, "Let's go to the garden, Your Majesty. And I will tell you "How is that"." And they both went to the garden. They both went down a small staircase which led to the garden. After reaching in the garden Birbal asked, "You daily climb up and down this small staircase, could you tell how many steps it has?"

Akbar smiled and then changed the subject.

The Hen or the Egg.

At the end of Akbar’s Durbar, a pandit came to the court & said he wanted to question him. Akbar was tired & told Birbal: “Please answer the pandit’s questions fast. I want to end this Durbar.”
The pandit said: “I’ll give you a choice. You can either answer one difficult or a hundred easy ones.”
Birbal saw Akbar would have no patience to sit through a hundred questions and opted for one difficult one.

Pandit: “Which came first, the hen or the egg.”

Birbal: “the hen, of course!”

Pandit: “How can you be so sure?”

Birbal: “I am afraid that is your second question. I agreed to answer only one!”

Management Moral: if you want to trap somebody, ensure you close all the exit routes but don’t get trapped yourself! Or else you may become an unexpected victim.

Last edited:
Dr. Anandi,

Nice topic that you have chosen. We will have a lot of stories here for sure here are some from me.

Birbal was missing. He and the emperor had a quarrel and Birbal had stormed out of the palace vowing never to return.

Now Akbar missed him and wanted him back but no one knew where he was.

Then the emperor had a brainwave. He offered a reward of 1000 gold coins to any man who could come to the palace observing the following condition. The man had to walk in the sun without an umbrella but he had to be in the shade at the same time.

"Impossible," said the people.

Then a villager came carrying a string cot over his head and claimed the prize.

"I've walked in the sun but at the same time I was in the shade of the strings of the cot," he said.

It was a brilliant solution. On interrogation the villager confessed that the idea had been suggested to him by a man living with him.

"It could only be Birbal!" said the emperor, delighted.

Sure enough it was Birbal and he and the emperor had a joyous reunion.

[FONT=&quot]Dear Karthik bhai, it was wonderful. As I have mentioned in my first posting, we should get something new from each articles, it has to be inspirational, relaxing and rejuvenating... I knew that, I will get a feedback from you. That was quiet motivating. And if you can call me just Anandi, I will be more grateful to you, if you don't mind please. Anandi will be more affectionate and sisterly.. Thank you. Anandi
[/FONT]

One fine morning, a minister from Emperor Akbar's court had gathered in the assembly hall.

He informed the Emperor that all his valuables had been stolen by a thief the previous night.

Akbar was shocked to hear this because the place where that minister lived was the safest place in the kingdom.

He invited Birbal to solve the mystery. Akbar said "It is definitely not possible for an outsider to enter into the minister's house and steal the valuables. This blunder is definitely committed only by another minister of that court." Saying so, he arranged for a donkey to be tied to a pillar. He ordered all the courtiers to lift the donkey's tail and say "I have not stolen."

Birbal added "Only then we can judge the culprit." After everyone had finished, he asked the courtiers to show their palm to him. All the courtiers except Alim Khan had a black patch of paint on their palm. Birbal had actually painted the donkey's tail with a black coat of paint. In the fright, the guilty minister did not touch the donkey's tail at all. Thus Birbal once again proved his intelligence and was rewarded by the king with 1000 gold coins.

Another Nice story:

One day Akbar asked his courtiers if they could tell him the difference between truth and falsehood in three words or less.

The courtiers looked at one another in bewilderment.

"What about you, Birbal?" asked the emperor. "I'm surprised that you too are silent."

"I'm silent because I want to give others a chance to speak," said Birbal.

"Nobody else has the answer," said the emperor. "So go ahead and tell me what the difference between truth and falsehood is — in three words or less."

"Four fingers" said Birbal

"Four fingers?" asked the emperor, perplexed.

"That's the difference between truth and falsehood, your Majesty," said Birbal. "That which you see with your own eyes is the truth. That which you have only heard about might not be true. More often than not, it's likely to be false."

"That is right," said Akbar. "But what did you mean by saying the difference is four fingers?'

"The distance between one's eyes and one's ears is the width of four fingers, Your Majesty," said Birbal, grinning.

Birbal was in Persia at the invitation of the king of that country.

Parties were given in his honor and rich presents were heaped on him.

On the eve of his departure for home, a nobleman asked him how he would compare the king of Persia to his own king.

“Your king is a full moon,” said Birbal. “Whereas mine could be likened to the quarter moon.”

The Persians were very happy. But when Birbal got home he found that Emperor Akbar was furious with him.

“How could you belittle your own king!” demanded Akbar. “You are a traitor!”

“No, Your Majesty,” said Birbal. “I did not belittle you. The full moon diminishes and disappears whereas the quarter moon grows from strength to strength. What I, in fact, proclaimed to the world is that your power is growing from day to day whereas that of the king of Persia is about to go into decline.”

Akbar grunted in satisfaction and welcomed Birbal back with a warm embrace.

How Many Crows in the Kingdom?

One day Akbar was strolling in his palace gardens with his dear minister Birbal. Many crows were flying around. The King enjoyed their flying. Just then he thought, that how many crows could be in his kingdom and immediately posed this question to Birbal.

Birbal thought a moment, then said, "They are ninety-five thousand, four hundred and sixty three (95, 463) crows in your kingdom, Huzoor." "How do you know that for sure?" the King asked. "You can get them counted, Huzoor." Birbal said.

The king again said, "If there will be less than that, then?" Birbal replied immediately, "That means that the rest of them have gone on vacation to some neighboring kingdoms." "Or if there were more than that, then?" "Then it means that other crows are visiting your kingdom, Huzoor."

Akbar was very pleased with this answer of his question.

[FONT=&quot] The Gold Coin [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One day Emperor Akbar asked Birbal what he would choose if he were given a choice between “justice” and a “gold coin”.

“The gold coin” said Birbal without hesitation.

Akbar was taken aback. “You would prefer a gold coin to justice?” he asked, incredulously.
“Yes” said Birbal

The other courtiers were amazed by Birbal’s display of idiocy. For years,they had been trying to discredit Birbal in the Emperor’s eyes but without success and now the man had gone and done it himself! They could not believe their good fortune.

“I would have been dismayed if even the lowliest of my servants had said this, continued the Emperor. But coming from you it’s…shocking- and sad. I did not know you are so debased”.

Birbal’s Solution “One asks for what one does not have, Your Majesty!” said Birbal quietly. “You have seen to it that in our country justice is available to everybody. So as justice is already available to me and as I am always short of money, I said I would choose the gold coin.”

The Emperor was so pleased with Birbal’s reply that he gave him not one but, a thousand gold coins!

Moral: 1

When faced with a question by those in authority, do not always go for what seems to be the politically correct response. In all honesty if you feel otherwise, and have sound reasons to back up your response, have the courage of conviction to go against the tide. Once the management hears your logic, they will appreciate your unconventional thinking and you will stand out in the crowd.

Moral 2:

Before condemning somebody for his action, first find out why he did it. He may have a sound reason, which you may not be aware of. In all fairness everyone should have a chance to defend himself and his actions[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]__,_._,___[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The three questions
King Akbar was very fond of Birbal. This made a certain courtier very jealous. Now this courtier always wanted to be chief minister, but this was not possible as Birbal filled that position. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

One day Akbar praised Birbal in front of the courtier. This made the courtier very angry and he said that the king praised Birbal unjustly and if Birbal could answer three of his questions, he would accept the fact that Birbal was intelligent. Akbar always wanting to test Birbals wit readily agreed.
The three questions were
1. How many stars are there in the sky
2. Where is the centre of the Earth and
3. How many men and how many women are there in the world.

Immediately Akbar asked Birbal the three questions and informed him that if he could not answer them, he would have to resign as chief minister.

To answer the first question, Birbal brought a hairy sheep and said ?There are as many stars in the sky as there is hair on the sheep?s body. My friend the courtier is welcome to count them if he likes.?

To answer the second question, Birbal drew a couple of lines on the floor and bore an iron rod in it and said ?this is the centre of the Earth, the courtier may measure it himself if he has any doubts.?

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In answer to the third question, Birbal said ?Counting the exact number of men and women in the world would be a problem as there are some specimens like our courtier friend here who cannot easily be classified as either. Therefore if all people like him are killed, then and only then can one count the exact number.?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Management Lessons from Akbar Birbal [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On a cold winter day Akbar and Birbal took a walk along the lake. A thought came to Birbal that a man would do anything for money. He expressed his feelings to Akbar. Akbar then put his finger into the lake and immediately removed it because he shivered with cold.

Akbar said "I don't think a man would spend an entire night in the cold water of this lake for money."

Birbal replied "I am sure I can find such a person."

Akbar then challenged Birbal into finding such a person and said that he would reward the person with a thousand gold coins. Birbal searched far and wide until he found a poor man who was desperate enough to accept the challenge. The poor man entered the lake and Akbar had guards posted near him to make sure that he really did as promised.The next morning the guards took the poor man to Akbar. Akbar asked the poor man if he had indeed spent the night in the lake. The poor man replied that he had. Akbar then asked the poor man how he managed to spend the night in the lake. The poor man replied that there was a street lamp near by and he kept his attention affixed on the lamp and away from the cold. Akbar then said that there would be no reward as the poor man had survived the night in the lake by the warmth of the street lamp. The poor man went to Birbal for help.

The next day, Birbal did not go to court. The king wondering where he was sent a messenger to his home. The messenger came back saying that Birbal would come once his Khichri was cooked. The king waited hours but Birbal did not come. Finally the king decided to go to Birbal's house and see what he was upto. He found Birbal sitting on the floor near some burning twigs and a bowl filled with Khichri hanging five feet above the fire. The king and his attendants couldn't help but laugh.

Akbar then said to Birbal "How can the Khichri be cooked if it so far away from the fire?"

Birbal answered "The same way the poor man received heat from a street lamp that was more than a furlong away."

The King understood his mistake and gave the poor man his reward.

The Management Lesson:

"Whenever your boss commits a mistake, just provide him with a mere reflection of the mistake." This could be one of the best methods to handle people above you. Look at the dignity with which Birbal handled the situation, without any anger or frustration. He showed his boss (Akbar) his mistake without abusing him or making him feel embarrassed.[/FONT]

Anyone so daring?
One day, a wealthy nobleman with a flowing beard was talking to Emperor Akbar. During their conversation, the nobleman said he would not tolerate if anyone were to tug at his beard. The emperor agreed with him and said he might even kill anyone who would dare do such a mischief. All the courtiers, except Birbal, shared the sentiments of the emperor.
Finding Birbal silent, Akbar asked him, "Don't you agree?"
Birbal replied, "There is, at least one person, my lord, who can do that to you."

Akbar flared up. "Can anyone dare do that to me? Show him to me and I shall not fail to punish him."
"On the contrary, my lord, you'll only hug him, while I shall offer him a sweet."
Birbal then rushed out and went to the royal garden, where the emperor's little grandson was with his nurse. He brought the baby to the court and put him in the emperor's lap. At once, the baby pulled the emperor's beard. The emperor, of course, hugged the baby fondly.
"Bravo! Here's a sweet for you!" said Birbal, taking the child into his arms. Akbar smiled, as his attendants brought him a purse. "Birbal, here take your reward!"

Birbal had been invited to lunch by a rich man.

Birbal went to the man's house and found him in a hall full of people. His host greeted him warmly.

"I did not know there would be so many guests," said Birbal who hated large gatherings.

"They are not guests," said the man. "They are my employees, all except one man. He is the only other guest here beside you."

Then a crafty look came on the man's face.

"Can you tell me which of them is the guest?" he asked.

"Maybe I could," said Birbal. "Talk to them as I observe them. Tell them a joke or something."

The man told a joke that Birbal thought was perhaps the worst he had heard in a long time. When he finished everyone laughed uproariously.

"Well," said the rich man. "I've told my joke. Now tell me who my other guest is."

Birbal pointed out the man to him.

"How did you know?" asked his host, amazed.

"Employees tend to laugh at any joke told by their employers," explained Birbal. "When I saw that this man was the only one not laughing at your joke, and in fact, looked positively bored, I at once knew he was your other guest."

One day Emperor Akbar asked Birbal what he would choose if he were given a choice between justice and a gold coin.

“The gold coin,” said Birbal.

Akbar was taken aback.

“You would prefer a gold coin to justice?” he asked, incredulously.

“Yes,” said Birbal.

The other courtiers were amazed by Birbal’s display of idiocy.

For years they had been trying to discredit Birbal in the emperor’s eyes but without success and now the man had gone and done it himself!

They could not believe their good fortune.

“I would have been dismayed if even the lowliest of my servants had said this,” continued the emperor. “But coming from you it’s . . . it’s shocking - and sad. I did not know you were so debased!”

“One asks for what one does not have, Your Majesty!” said Birbal, quietly. “You have seen to it that in our country justice is available to everybody. So as justice is already available to me and as I’m always short of money I said I would choose the gold coin.”

The emperor was so pleased with Birbal’s reply that he gave him not one but a thousand gold coins.

The anecdotes of Emperor Akbar and his trusted aide Birbal are entertaining as well as enlightening. Once, the Emperor received the gift of a rare perfume. As he opened the bottle, a drop of perfume fell to the floor. Akbar instinctively moved to retrieve it by wiping the floor with his finger. As he looked up he noticed a bemused look on Birbal’s face… his eyes seemed to mock the Emperor for being scrounging.

To change Birbal’s perception, Akbar summoned him the next morning to his bath. He asked his attendants to fill up the bathtub with the best of perfumes. Akbar sought to show Birbal that as Emperor he could afford to waste as much perfume, as he wanted. Birbal when asked to react said the immortal lines, “Boond se jati, woh haudh se nahi aati” (An entire tub full cannot retrieve what the drop took way!)

Birbal sought to tell the Emperor that his earlier instinctive action (that exhibited miserliness) could not be undone by an intentional action (aimed at big-heartedness). Our character is determined by our reactions, not by forced posturing. It is better to be transparent then wear favourable masks. In fact every little action and reaction, every spoken word and emerging thought reflects our true self!

The King of Iran had heard that Birbal was one of the wisest men in the East and desirous of meeting him sent him an invitation to visit his country.

In due course, Birbal arrived in Iran.

When he entered the palace he was flabbergasted to find not one but six kings seated there.

All looked alike. All were dressed in kingly robes. Who was the real king?

The very next moment he got his answer. Confidently, he approached the king and bowed to him.

"But how did you identify me?" the king asked, puzzled.

Birbal smiled and explained: "The false kings were all looking at you, while you yourself looked straight ahead. Even in regal robes, the common people will always look to their king for support."

Overjoyed, the king embraced Birbal and showered him with gifts.

[FONT=&quot]The legendary Birbal once fell out of favour with Emperor Akbar who demanded that Birbal be hanged to death. Poor Birbal tried to get a pardon in many ways but his efforts bore no fruit.

So Birbal called a friend and said “Go to the Badshah and make a proposal. Tell him if I train his favourite horse to fly in twelve months, he should pardon me for my fault.”

The friend said, “May be the Baadshah will accept your challenge, but how can you make such a ridiculous demand?”

Birbal said,

“What do I lose? In the next twelve months, the horse may die-I get another horse and another twelve months. Or perhaps in the next twelve months the horse may actually learn to fly! The Baadshah may also crown his successor in which case I might get a pardon from him in the future! There is always a chance!”

Kudos to Birbal’s wit and presence of mind. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One day a Brahmin by the name of Sevaram asked Birbal for help. He said that his fore fathers were great Sanskrit scholars and that people used to respectfully refer to them as Panditji. He said that he had no money nor need for wealth; he was content living a simple life.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But he had just one wish. He wished people would refer to him as Panditji too. He asked Birbal how he could achieve this.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Birbal smiled and said the test was fairly simple. Birbal asked Sevaram to shout at anyone who calls him Panditji from now on.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now the children did not like the Brahmin as he used to scold them.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Birbal told the children that Brahmin would get really irritated if they started calling him Panditji.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So the children began to tease him by yelling “Panditji” whenever he appeared and, as advised by Birbal, the Brahmin responded by shouting at them.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gradually the word spread and everybody started calling him by Panditji.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After some time the Brahmin stopped scolding people but the name stuck![/FONT]

Birbal's neighbour was a rich man but a miser. Birbal advised him to engage a teacher for home tuition for his little son. The miser fixed up a teacher and agreed to pay him ten mohurs a month. He would also be given lunch every day. The teacher began his work in right earnest.
One day, the miser observed him taking a heavy lunch. He was much perturbed and hence decided not to pay any salary at all. The teacher patiently waited for three months; but he did not receive his salary. So he went and complained to Birbal.
"I'll make him pay you for all the three months. You need not go for tuition any longer," said Birbal.
Birbal later met the miser and asked him why he did not pay the salary. He replied that the teacher was a glutton and he did not deserve any salary over and above the food he gave.
Birbal said, "Pay him off and send him away. I'll get you one of the greatest teachers, who will neither eat a morsel nor demand any salary."
The miser, who was delighted, promptly paid up the salary and terminated the services of the teacher.
Next day, Birbal took a small clay image of the Buddha to the miser. "None can deny the fact that the Buddha is one of the greatest teachers of mankind. And this teacher would claim no lunch, nor any salary," he added.

YOU GET WHAT YOU LIKE

With great difficulty, a poor man raised money for his daughter's wedding and brought ornaments for her. On the eve of the wedding, the thatched roof of his house caught fire. The man, his wife and daughter ran out of the house at once. Just then, the poor man suddenly remembered the ornaments kept inside the house. He did not dare enter his house again, since by then the fire had spread alarmingly. He started wailing and weeping over the lost ornaments.
Then one young man came forward and said, "I'll fetch the ornament box, but I'll give you only what I like out of the ornament box." The poor man agreed in sheer desperation.
The young man darted into the house and brought out the box safely. But his subsequent act shocked the poor man. He took out all the ornaments from the box and returned only the empty box to the poor man.
The case went to Birbal. Birbal asked the young man, "You took all the ornaments because you liked them. Isn't it?" The young man nodded.
Then Birbal proceeded: "Your condition was, you'll give the poor man whatever you like! You liked all the ornaments. So, you've to return all the ornaments to him."

[h=1]The Great Panchatantra Tales
[/h] For more than two and a half millennia, the Panchatantra tales have regaled children and adults alike with a moral at the end of every story. Some believe that they are as old as the Rig Veda. There is also another story about these fables. According to it, these are stories Shiva told his consort Parvati. The present series is based on the Sanskrit original.
A king, worried that his three sons are without the wisdom to live in a world of wile and guile, asks a learned man called Vishnu Sharman to teach them the ways of the world.
Since his wards are dimwits, Vishnu Sharman decides to pass on wisdom to them in the form of stories. In these stories, he makes animals speak like human beings. Panchatantra is a collection of attractively told stories about the five ways that help the human being succeed in life. Pancha means five and tantra means ways or strategies or principles. Addressed to the king's children, the stories are primarily about statecraft and are popular throughout the world. The five strategies are:

The stories have been translated into nearly every language in the world that has a script. The story form appeals to children while the wisdom in them attracts adults. The Panchatantra collection represents the earliest folk tale form in the world of literature. There are several versions of Panchatantra tales in circulation in the world but the one that is popular in India is the Sanskrit original of Vishnu Sharman.
Very soon, Hamarashehar.Com will bring to netizens the oldest collection of tales in the world as told by an 80-year-old teacher to his royal wards. The translation seeks to be as close to the Sanskrit original as possible in spirit.
The stories will appear in five sections, each representing a strategy for getting over problems in life. They are of interest not just for the ruling class but also for every person. They are all about survival in a complicated world and the several ways to get over problems. The stories based as they are on human nature have an eternal relevance.
The series begins with a parent story that unfolds story after story; each strung to the other by a narrator. Now, it is your turn to enjoy these stories as immortal and fragrant as the soil of India.

It is a law of nature that whatever action we take in this world, there is always a reaction. If we do well, we stand to gain a good reward. If we do badly, we should expect a bad outcome ultimately. "What you sow, so you reap," is a popular saying.
Here is a story to support the above Law of nature.

There was a companion of the king who visited him all the time. He would sit beside him and say, 'Treat the good-doer with good and don't treat the evil-doer with evil for his evil will be sufficient for him.'
Another man envied his position with the king and his good speech. The envious man came to the king and related: 'Your companion that sits beside you claimed that you had a bad smell.'
The king inquired, 'But how can I verify this?'
The man replied, 'Call him to you. He will put his hand on his nose as he gets closer to you.'
The king said, 'Leave, and I will see!' This man left the king and invited the king's companion to a meal that he had placed much garlic in.
The companion of the king ate and then went to the king as usual and said, 'Treat the good-doer with good and don't treat the evil-doer with evil, for his evil will be sufficient for him.'
The king said to him, 'Get closer to me!' The man moved closer, and placed his hand over his mouth so that the king would not smell the odor of garlic.
The king thought to himself, 'That man was truthful.' The king then hand-wrote a letter and gave it to the companion. The king never wrote anything unless he wanted to give someone a prize or gift.
But this letter was written to one of his administrators and contained the following message: 'When the bearer of this letter comes to you, slaughter him and skin him. Then fill his skin with straw and send him back to me.'
Later, the envious man met the companion of the king on his way and asked, 'What is this letter?'
The companion of the king replied, 'The king has given me a gift.'
The envious man asked, 'Would you give it to me.'
The companion of the king said, 'It's yours.'
The envious man took it and went to the administrator. The administrator said to him, 'This letter is a command from the king to slaughter you and skin you.'
The envious man announced, 'This letter is not mine. I beseech you in the Name of Allah to check with the king before you do anything.'
The administrator informed him that there would be no changes to what the king had written. Then he slaughtered him, skinned him, filled his skin with straw, and sent him back to the king.
In the meantime, the companion of the king returned to the king as usual. The king was shocked and demanded, 'What happened to the letter?'
Companion of the king said, 'So-and-so met me and asked me for it, so I gave it to him.'
The king then challenged, 'Have you said that I have a bad smell?'
The companion of the king rebutted, 'No!'
So the king asked, 'Then why did you place your hand over your mouth?'
The companion of the king answered, 'So-and-so provided me with food that had much garlic in it and I hated that you might smell it.'
The king declared, 'You are truthful. The evil of the evildoer is sufficient for him.'"
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

The Broken Pot

A water bearer in India had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.

At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full. For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots full of water to his house.

Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.

After two years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. "I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologize to you. I have been able to deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house. Because of my flaws, you have to do a lot of this work, and you don't get full value from your efforts," the pot said.

The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side? That's because I have always known about your flaw, and I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you've watered them.

For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house."

Moral:

Each of us has our own unique flaws. We're all cracked pots. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding.

post 22; I hope this happens in life. The position is eveil-doers are prospering.

post 23 : The first part is right - we are cracked pots. About the second I doubt.

Still with Birbal........

Why is the Camel's Neck Crooked?
As you all know, Emperor Akbar was very impressed with Birbal’s wisdom and greatly enjoyed his quick wit. One fine morning when Akbar was especially pleased with Birbal, as a gesture of appreciation, he promised to reward him with many valuable and beautiful gifts. However, many days passed, and still there was no sign of even one gift. Birbal was quite disappointed with the king. Then one day, when Akbar was strolling down the banks of River Yamuna with his ever faithful Birbal at his side, he happened to notice a camel passing by. He asked Birbal why the neck of the camel was crooked. Birbal thought for a second and promptly replied that it might be because the camel may have forgotten to honour a promise. The holy books mention that those who break their word get punished with a crooked neck; perhaps that was the reason for the camel’s crooked neck. Akbar soon realised his folly of making a promise to Birbal for gifts and not honouring it. He was ashamed of himself. As soon as they returned to the palace he immediately gave Birbal his justly deserved reward. As you can see, Birbal always managed to get what he wanted without directly asking for it.javascript:history.back()

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back