• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Wisdom Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE REAL TEST

One day a known person approached Chankya and enthusiastically started saying, “Do you know, just a while ago, I heard few things from you friend about you?”

Chankya was famous for his wisdom, knowledge and good behavior. He said to his known person, “Before I listen to what you have to say, I would like to test it through my three step testing.”

“What is this three step test?”, the person asked.

Chankya made him understand, “ Before you tell me about what my friend has said, let us test it. I call this testing – a three step test. The first test is of truth-ness. Is it sure that whatever you are going to say is a truth?”
“No”, the person dais, “ I have heard it from somewhere.”

“Okay”, Chankaya analyzed. “If you don’t know whether this is truth or not, we will do another test. The second test is for goodness. Are you going to tell me some good thing about my friend?”

“No, it’s opposite to it…..”

“Then”, Chankya asked further. “Whatever you are going to say, is not the truth, is not positive about my friend then lets do the third test. The third test is of usefulness. Whatever you are going to tell me, is that useful to me?”

“No, it’s not like that.”

Chankya then said the last thing.

“Whatever you are suppose to tell me, it is not true, its not positive and its not useful also, then why you want to tell me?”

MORALE:

ANY INFORMATION MUST BE CHECKED ON THESE THREE PARAMETERS OF – TRUTHNESS, GOODNESS AND USEFULNESS.

Still with Birbal........

Why is the Camel's Neck Crooked?
As you all know, Emperor Akbar was very impressed with Birbal’s wisdom and greatly enjoyed his quick wit. One fine morning when Akbar was especially pleased with Birbal, as a gesture of appreciation, he promised to reward him with many valuable and beautiful gifts.However, many days passed, and still there was no sign of even one gift. Birbal was quite disappointed with the king. Then one day, when Akbar was strolling down the banks of River Yamuna with his ever faithful Birbal at his side, he happened to notice a camel passing by. He asked Birbal why the neck of the camel was crooked. Birbal thought for a second and promptly replied that it might be because the camel may have forgotten to honour a promise. The holy books mention that those who break their word get punished with a crooked neck; perhaps that was the reason for the camel’s crooked neck.Akbar soon realised his folly of making a promise to Birbal for gifts and not honouring it. He was ashamed of himself. As soon as they returned to the palace he immediately gave Birbal his justly deserved reward. As you can see, Birbal always managed to get what he wanted without directly asking for it.
[FONT=&quot]Respected Sir, I am so sorry, I couldn't able to respond to your nice story earlier as I am busy with my school's function for the next two days. I am not getting enough time to log in. It is a wonderful story. I have just changed the title of the thread, so that we can accommodate various wisdom stories... That’s all. You are always welcome all kinds of good, useful stories.. thank you so much for your contribution. respects Anandi[/FONT]

[h=2]The color of friendship
[/h] Once upon a time the colors of the world started to quarrel.
All claimed that they were the best.
The most important.
The most useful.
The favorite.

Green said:
"Clearly I am the most important. I am the sign of life and of hope. I was chosen for grass, trees and leaves. Without me, all animals would die. Look over the countryside and you will see that I am in the majority."

Blue interrupted:
"You only think about the earth, but consider the sky and the sea. It is the water that is the basis of life and drawn up by the clouds from the deep sea. The sky gives space and peace and serenity. Without my peace, you would all be nothing."

Yellow chuckled:
"You are all so serious. I bring laughter, gaiety, and warmth into the world. The sun is yellow, the moon is yellow, the stars are yellow. Every time you look at a sunflower, the whole world starts to smile. Without me there would be no fun."

Orange started next to blow her trumpet:
"I am the color of health and strength. I may be scarce, but I am precious for I serve the needs of human life. I carry the most important vitamins. Think of carrots, pumpkins, oranges, mangoes, and papayas. I don't hang around all the time, but when I fill the sky at sunrise or sunset, my beauty is so striking that no one gives another thought to any of you."

Red could stand it no longer he shouted out:
"I am the ruler of all of you. I am blood - life's blood! I am the color of danger and of bravery. I am willing to fight for a cause. I bring fire into the blood. Without me, the earth would be as empty as the moon. I am the color of passion and of love, the red rose, the poinsettia and the poppy."

Purple rose up to his full height:
He was very tall and spoke with great pomp: "I am the color of royalty and power. Kings, chiefs, and bishops have always chosen me for I am the sign of authority and wisdom. People do not question me! They listen and obey."

Finally Indigo spoke, much more quietly than all the others, but with just as much determination: "Think of me. I am the color of silence. You hardly notice me, but without me you all become superficial. I represent thought and reflection, twilight and deep water. You need me for balance and contrast, for prayer and inner peace."

And so the colors went on boasting, each convinced of his or her own superiority. Their quarreling became louder and louder. Suddenly there was a startling flash of bright lightening thunder rolled and boomed. Rain started to pour down relentlessly. The colors crouched down in fear, drawing close to one another for comfort.

In the midst of the clamor, rain began to speak:
"You foolish colors, fighting amongst yourselves, each trying to dominate the rest. Don't you know that you were each made for a special purpose, unique and different? Join hands with one another and come to me."

Doing as they were told, the colors united and joined hands.

The rain continued:
"From now on, when it rains, each of you will stretch across the sky in a great bow of color as a reminder that you can all live in peace. The Rainbow is a sign of hope for tomorrow."

And so, whenever a good rain washes the world, and a Rainbow appears in the sky, let us remember to appreciate one another.

"Every man is the architect of his own fortune." Sallust (86bc-34bc) Roman historian

Try with running engine

A mechanic was removing the cylinder heads from the motor of a car when he spotted the famous heart surgeon in his shop, who was standing off to the side, waiting for the service manager to come take a look at his car.

The mechanic shouted across the garage, "Hello Doctor! Please come on over here for a minute."

The famous surgeon, a bit surprised, walked over to the mechanic.

The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked argumentatively, "So doctor, look at this here. I also open hearts, take valves out, grind 'em, put in new parts, and when I finish this will work as a new one. So how come you get the big money, when you and me is doing basically the same work?"

The doctor leaned over and whispered to the mechanic "Try doing it with the running engine."

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.

[h=2]A DAUGHTER’S COMPLAINT
[/h]
A daughter complained to her father about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved a new one arose.

Her father, a chef, took her to the kitchen. He filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to a boil. In one he placed carrots, in the second he placed eggs, and the last he placed ground coffee beans. He let them sit and boil, without saying a word.

The daughter sucked her teeth and impatiently waited, wondering what he was doing. In about twenty minutes he turned off the burners. He fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. He pulled the eggs out and placed them a bowl. Then he ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl.

Turning to her he asked. "Darling, what do you see."

"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.

He brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. He then asked her to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally, he asked her to sip the coffee. She smiled as she tasted its rich aroma.

She humbly asked. "What does it mean Father?"

He explained that each of them had faced the same adversity, boiling water, but each reacted differently.

The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. But after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.

The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior. But after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened.

The ground coffee beans were unique however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

"Which are you," he asked his daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean? "

How about you? Are you the carrot that seems hard, but with pain and adversity do you wilt and become soft and lose your strength? Are you the egg, which starts off with a malleable heart? Were you a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a divorce, or a layoff have you become hardened and stiff. Your shell looks the same, but are you bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and heart?

Or are you like the coffee bean? The bean changes the hot water, the thing that is bringing the pain, to its peak flavor reaches 212 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water gets the hottest, it just tastes better.

If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and make things better around you .

When people talk about you, do your praises to the Lord increase? When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest, does your worship elevate to another level?

How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Dr.Anandi,

Very interesting stories. Each one teaches a lesson for our life. I am happy to be in this thread. Thanks for making it enjoyable.

A DONKEY, A ROOSTER, AND A LAMP

Rabbi Moshe took a trip to a strange land. He took a donkey, a rooster and a lamp. Since he was a Jew, he was refused hospitality in the village inns, so he decided to sleep in the woods.

He lit his lamp to study the holy books before going to sleep, but a fierce wind came up, knocking over the lamp and breaking it. The rabbi decided to turn in, saying, 'All that God does, he does well'. During the night some wild animals came along and drove away the rooster and thieves stole the donkey. Mosche woke up, saw the loss, but still proclaimed easily. ' All that god does, he does well'.

The rabbi then went back to the village where he was refused lodging, only to learn that enemy soldiers had invaded it during the night and killed all the inhabitants. He also learned that these soldiers had travelled through the same part of the woods where he lay asleep. Had his lamp not been broken he would have been discovered. Had not the rooster been chased, it would have crowed, giving him away. Had not the donkey been stolen, it would have brayed. So once more rabbi Moshe declared, ' All that god does, he does well'.

Untiring Love
This is a true story that happened in Japan.
In order to renovate the house, someone in Japan tore open the wall. Japanese houses normally have a hollow space between the wooden walls. When tearing down the walls, he found that there was a lizard stuck there because a nail from outside was hammered into one of its feet. He saw this, felt pity, and at the same time he was curious. When he checked the nail, turns out, it was nailed 10 years ago when the house was first built.
What happened?
The lizard had survived in such a position for 10 years! In a dark wall partition for 10 years without moving, it is impossible and mind boggling. Then he wondered how this lizard survived for 10 years without moving a single step--since its foot was nailed!
So he stopped his work and observed the lizard, what it had been doing, and what and how it had been eating. Later, not knowing from where it came, appeared another lizard, with food in its mouth.

Ahh! He was stunned and at the same time, touched deeply. Another lizard had been feeding the stuck one for the past 10 years...
Such love, such a beautiful love! Such love happened with this tiny creature...
What can love do? It can do wonders! Love can perform miracles!
Just think about it; one lizard had been feeding the other one
untiringly for 10 long years, without giving up hope on its partner.

If a small creature like a lizard can love like this...
just imagine how we can love if we try!

Two brothers and taking responsibility...
Two sons work for their father on the family's farm. The younger brother had for some years been given more responsibility and reward, and one day the older brother asks his father to explain why.

The father says, "First, go to the Kelly's farm and see if they have any geese for sale - we need to add to our stock."
The brother soon returns with the answer, "Yes they have five geese they can sell to us."
That father then says, "Good, please ask them the price."
The son returns with the answer, "The geese are £10 each."
The father says, "Good, now ask if they can deliver the geese tomorrow."
And duly the son returns with the answer, "Yes, they can deliver the geese them tomorrow."
The father asks the older brother to wait and listen, and then calls to the younger brother in a nearby field, "Go to the Davidson's Farm and see if they have any geese for sale - we need to add to our stock."
The younger brother soon returns with the answer, "Yes, they have five geese for £10 each, or ten geese for £8 each; and they can deliver them tomorrow - I asked them to deliver the five unless they heard otherwise from us in the next hour. And I agreed that if we want the extra five geese we could buy them at £6 each."
The father turned to the older son, who nodded his head in appreciation - he now realized why his brother was given more responsibility and reward.

Secret of Success

A young man asked Socrates the secret of Success. Socrates told the young man to meet him near the river the next morning. They met.

Socrates asked the young man to walk with him towards the river.When the water got up to their neck, Socrates took the young man by surprise and ducked him into the water. The man struggled to get out but Socrates was strong and kept him there until he started turning blue.

The young man struggled hard and finally managed to get out and the first thing he did was to gasp and take deep breath. Socrates asked 'What you wanted the most when you were there?' The man replied 'Air'.

Socrates said 'that's the most secret to success. When you want success as badly as you wanted air, you will get it. There is no other secret'.

Stop Worrying, Start Living...!!!

One morning I wasted nearly an hour watching a tiny ant carry a huge feather cross my back terrace. Several times it was confronted by obstacles in its path and after a momentary pause it would make the necessary detour.

At one point the ant had to negotiate a crack in the concrete about 10mm wide. After brief contemplation the ant laid the feather over the crack, walked across it and picked up the feather on the other side then continued on its way. I was fascinated by the ingenuity of this ant, one of God’s smallest creatures. It served to reinforce the miracle of creation. Here was a minute insect, lacking in size yet equipped with a brain to reason, explore, discover and overcome. But this ant, like the two-legged co-residents of this planet, also share human failings.

After some time the ant finally reached its destination - a flower bed at the end of the terrace and a small hole that was the entrance to its underground home. And it was here that the ant finally met its match. How could that large feather possibly fit down small hole? Of course it couldn’t. so the ant, after all this trouble and execrising great ingenuity, overcoming problems all along the way, just abandoned the feather and went home.

The ant had not thought the problem through before it began its epic journey and in the end the feather was nothing more than a burden. Isn’t life like that!

We worry about our family, we worry about money or the lack of it, we worry about work, about where we live, about all sorts of things. These are all burdens - the things we pick up along life’s path and lug them around the obstacles and over the crevasses that life will bring, only to find that at the destination they are useless and we can’t take them with us…

Stop Worrying - Start Living

[FONT=&quot]THE MILKMAID [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A milkmaid was on her way to the market to sell some milk from her cow. As she carried the large jug of milk on top of her head, she began to dream of all the things she could do after selling the milk.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“With that money, I’ll buy a hundred chicks to rear in my backyard. When they are fully grown.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I can sell them at a good price at the market.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As she walked on, she continued dreaming, “Then I’ll buy
two young goats and rear them on the grass close by. When
they are fully grown, I can sell them at an even better price!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Still dreaming, she said to herself, “Soon, I’ll be able to buy another cow, and I will have more milk to sell. Then I shall have even more money...”[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]With these happy thoughts, she began to skip and jump. Suddenly she tripped and fell. The jug broke and all the milk spilt onto the ground.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]No more dreaming now, she sat down and cried.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Do not count your chickens before they are hatched.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Search with in you....

There was once a time when all human beings were gods, but they so abused their divinity that Brahma, the chief god, decided to take it away from them and hide it where it could never be found.

Where to hide their divinity was the question. So Brahma called a council of the gods to help him decide. "Let's bury it deep in the earth," said the gods. But Brahma answered, "No, that will not do because humans will dig into the earth and find it." Then the gods said, "Let's sink it in the deepest ocean." But Brahma said, "No, not there, for they will learn to dive into the ocean and will find it." Then the gods said, "Let's take it to the top of the highest mountain and hide it there." But once again Brahma replied, "No, that will not do either, because they will eventually climb every mountain and once again take up their divinity." Then the gods gave up and said, "We do not know where to hide it, because it seems that there is no place on earth or in the sea that human beings will not eventually reach."

Brahma thought for a long time and then said, "Here is what we will do. We will hide their divinity deep in the center of their own being, for humans will never think to look for it there."

All the gods agreed that this was the perfect hiding place, and the deed was done. And since that time humans have been going up and down the earth, digging, diving, climbing, and exploring--searching for something already within themselves.

http://www.citehr.com/46438-search-within-you.html#ixzz1VYxKPKld

[h=3]GENEROSITY
[/h]

Mahatma Gandhi went from city to city, village to village collecting funds for the Charkha Sangh. During one of his tours he addressed a meeting in Orissa. After his speech a poor old woman got up. She was bent with age, her hair was grey and her clothes were in tatters. The volunteers tried to stop her, but she fought her way to the place where Gandhiji was sitting. "I must see him," she insisted and going up to Gandhiji touched his feet. Then from the folds of her sari she brought out a copper coin and placed it at his feet. Gandhiji picked up the copper coin and put it away carefully. The Charkha Sangh funds were under the charge of Jamnalal Bajaj. He asked Gandhiji for the coin but Gandhiji refused. "I keep cheques worth thousands of rupees for the Charkha Sangh," Jamnalal Bajaj said laughingly "yet you won't trust me with a copper coin." "This copper coin is worth much more than those thousands," Gandhiji said. "If a man has several lakhs and he gives away a thousand or two, it doesn't mean much. But this coin was perhaps all that the poor woman possessed. She gave me all she had. That was very generous of her. What a great sacrifice she made. That is why I value this copper coin more than a crore of rupees."

Just one Night - A Legend of Kedarnath.

There are many interesting legends floating about the famous Temple at Kedarnath in the Himalayars. I repeat here under one among them which appealed to me much.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Just one Night

A Legend of Kedarnath.

There was this Brahmin who was going on a pilgrimage to Kedarnath. A kind and friendly soul, he was always busy helping other pilgrims -- especially the weak and the slow -- get along, unmindful of the fact that he was getting late and the Kedarnath shrine would soon be shut down for the winter. When others reminded him of the possibility of his not being able to see the Lord -- he would laugh and say that how can the Lord ignore his piety.

As it so happened, by the time the Brahmin reached the shrine, the doors had indeed closed for the winter and there was no way that the priests would let the Brahmin in to meet the Lord. He met the chief priest and requested him to open the doors just once, but alas ... to no avail. He advised him to come back again next spring when the temple would once again be open for pilgrims.
The Brahmin was heartbroken. "Lord ! I have come all this way to meet you and was delayed only because I was trying to help others. How is it that you refuse to see me." So he sat down and started to cry as he saw the temple door being shut with a loud clang and everybody packing up to go down the mountain.
The temple was deserted, the sun was setting and a chilly wind started to blow ... but the Brahmin kept on sitting and waiting outside the temple door. All of a sudden he saw a solitary figure coming down the steep mountain side. As it drew closer , the Brahmin noticed that it was sadhu , dressed in a loincloth and carrying a bag over his shoulder.
"Jai Kedar !" said the sadhu as he climbed up the temple steps and asked "O Brahmin, what are you doing here ?" The Brahmin recounted his tale of woe -- how he had come all the way to meet the Lord and how the Lord had shut his door on his face. The sadhu was amazed. "Who told you that the temple has closed for the winter ? You are mistaken ... tomorrow is the last day of the pilgrimage season and it is only tomorrow that the temple will be closed for the year... don't lose heart, you still have a whole day left to meet the Lord".
The Brahmin was utterly confused. He did not know who was right, the priests who had told him to come back next year or this unknown sadhu and sat down to think things through.
"Why don't you come and spend the night with me", said the sadhu, " I know of a nice, warm cave behind the temple where we will be comfortable... and tomorrow morning you can go and meet the Lord." The Brahmin agreed.
The sadhu led the Brahmin to a little cave, in the mountain behind the temple. Once the Brahmin has settled in comfortably, the sadhu opened his bag and took out some dry food, a wad of ganja (marijuana) and a chess board. After a frugal meal the two men lit a chillum (pipe) and started smoking ganja.
Then they began a game of chess. The sadhu was a good player but the Brahmin managed to beat him .. once, twice, thrice .... every time. Excited with his victory and flushed with the ganja that he was smoking all along, the Brahmin had hardly noticed that the night was almost over and dawn was breaking over the mountain tops.
At last when it was broad daylight, the Brahmin suddenly realised that it was time to go. Today was the last day when he could see his Lord and he did not want to waste time playing chess and smoking ganja. He hurriedly packed his bags and bade farewell to the sadhu, "Thank you very much for the company last night, but it would have been better if you could have beaten me even once. There is no fun in winning all the time." The sadhu smiled. "Do you not know", he said very softly," that I always lose myself to those who seek the Lord as intensely as you."
The Brahmin scarcely heard what he was saying. He hurriedly scrambled down the mountain side and rushed towards the temple to check whether the temple was indeed still open ... and of course it was. The doors were ajar, the priests were busy with the rituals and the pilgrims were praying. The Brahmin entered the temple and met the head priest who had refused to open the doors. "Why did you mislead me last night ? Why did you say that the temple was closed for the year ? Why did you ask me to come back next year ? when it is possible today for me to enter the temple today and meet my Lord ..."
The head priest was amazed. "Brahmin, are you mad. What nonsense are you talking about. Today is the first day when the temple is opened for this year. For the past couple of months the temple has been closed and I was nowhere here. Howe could I have told you anything last night, when I have come up to Kedarnath only today morning ?"
The Brahmin was thunderstruck ! He did not know what was happening. He distinctly remembered that last night he was here when the temple doors were closed -- according to the head priest, for a year. Then there was the sadhu with whom he spent a night playing chess .... and today morning was NEXT year.
Suddenly realisation dawned and he started running towards the cave, "My Lord, My Lord .... you played with me last night .... show me, show me you face again..."
But there was neither any trace of the Sadhu nor any sign of the cave where He and the Brahmin has spent the "night".

The Salt.....
Once an unhappy young man came to an old master and told he was very sad and asked for a solution.

The old Master instructed the unhappy young man to put a handful of salt in a glass of water and then to drink it. “How does it taste?” the Master asked. “Awful,” spat the apprentice. The Master chuckled and then asked the young man to take another handful of salt and put it in the lake. The two walked in silence to the nearby lake and when the apprentice swirled his handful of salt into the lake, the old man said, “Now drink from the lake.”
As the water dripped down the young man’s chin, the Master asked, “How does it taste?” “Good!” remarked the apprentice. “Do you taste the salt?” asked the Master. “No,” said the young man. The Master sat beside this troubled young man, took his hands, and said,

“The pain of life is pure salt; no more, no less. The amount of pain in life remains the same, exactly the same. But the amount we taste the ‘pain’ depends on the container we put it into. So when you are in pain, the only thing you can do is to enlarge your sense of things ….. Stop being a glass. Become a lake...!

The Elephant Rope....

As a man was passing the elephants, he suddenly stopped, confused by the fact that these huge creatures were being held by only a small rope tied to their front leg. No chains, no cages. It was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from their bonds but for some reason, they did not.
He saw a trainer nearby and asked why these animals just stood there and made no attempt to get away. “Well,” trainer said, “when they are very young and much smaller we use the same size rope to tie them and, at that age, it’s enough to hold them. As they grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. They believe the rope can still hold them, so they never try to break free.”
The man was amazed. These animals could at any time break free from their bonds but because they believed they couldn’t, they were stuck right where they were.
Like the elephants, how many of us go through life hanging onto a belief that we cannot do something, simply because we failed at it once before?

Failure is part of learning; we should never give up the struggle in life.

[FONT=&quot]Be willing to take advice...[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Once upon a time, there were three people who went to watch drama together. One of them was far-sighted, another one had a hearing problem, and the other had a twisted head.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]After the show, they were judging the drama.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Today’s show had great singers, but the costume design was poor,” said the person who had farsightedness".[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“The costume was perfect, but the sound was too low,” said the person who had hearing problem.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“The sound was loud and the costume was fine. Everything was great, but the performance stage was lopsided,” said the person who had twisted head".[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]From the story above, most people do not admit their shortcomings. It’s because the person, who had farsightedness, cannot see things in clarity, but complains about the costume; the one, who had hearing problem, cannot hear things clearly, but complains about the music; the one, who doesn’t admit his twisted head, but complains about the performance stage.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]According to statistics, the vocabulary most often used in our daily communication is either “I” or “me”. Aren't conflicts among human and disputes among nations, the results of over-emphasizing one's opinion??? I hope so... [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Experts say; Accept sincere advice and the reality of truth given by others. One who is willing to take advice and relinquish one’s ego can work well with others.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Education does not mean good judgement

There is a story about a man who sold hot dogs by the roadside. He was illiterate, so he never read newspapers . He was hard of hearing, so he never listened http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=1923285960472364924&postID=9204733576890486219to the radio. His eyes were weak, so he never watchedhttp://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=1923285960472364924&postID=9204733576890486219 television. But enthusiastically, he sold lots of hot dogs. His sales and profit went up. He ordered more meat and got himself a bigger and a better stove. As his business was growing, the son, who had recently graduated from college, joined his father. Then something strange happened. The son asked, "Dad, aren't you aware of the great recession that is coming http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=1923285960472364924&postID=9204733576890486219our way?" The father replied, "No, but tell me about it." The son said, "The international situation is terrible. The domestic is even worse. We should be prepared for the coming bad time." The man thought that since his son had been to college, read the papers, and listened to the radio, he ought to know and his advice should not be taken lightly. So the next day, the father cut http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=1923285960472364924&postID=9204733576890486219 down his order for the meat and buns, took down the sign and was no longer enthusiastic. Very soon, fewer and fewer people bothered to stop at his hot dog stand. And his sales started http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=1923285960472364924&postID=9204733576890486219coming down rapidly. The father said to his son, "Son, you were right. We are in the middle of a recession. I am glad you warned me ahead of time."

What is the moral of the story?
1. Many times we confuse intelligence with good judgment.
2. A person may have high intelligence but poor judgment.
3. Choose your advisers carefully and use your judgment.
4. A person can and will be successful with or without formal education http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=1923285960472364924&postID=9204733576890486219if they have the 5 Cs: character

commitment
conviction
courtesy
courage
5. The tragedy is that there are many walking encyclopedias who are living failures.

A tale of Two Seas

Sitting in the Geography class in school, I remember how fascinated I was when we were being taught all about the

Dead Sea . As you probably recall, the Dead Sea is really a Lake , not a sea (and as my Geography teacher pointed out, if you understood that, it would guarantee 4 marks in the term paper!) It’s so high in salt content that the human body can float easily. You can almost lie down and read a book! The salt in the Dead Sea is as high as 35% - almost 10 times the normal ocean water. And all that saltiness has meant that there is no life at all in the Dead Sea . No fish. No vegetation. No sea animals. Nothing lives in the Dead Sea .

And hence the name: Dead Sea .

While the Dead Sea has remained etched in my memory, I don't seem to recall learning about the Sea of Galilee in my school Geography lesson. So when I heard about the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea and the tale of the two seas - I was intrigued.

Turns out that the Sea of Galilee is just north of the Dead Sea . Both the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea receive their water from river Jordan . And yet, they are very, very different.

Unlike the Dead Sea, the Sea of Galilee is pretty, resplendent with rich, colorful marine life. There are lots of plants. And lots of fish too. In fact, the Sea of Galilee is home to over twenty different types of fishes.

Same region, same source of water, and yet while one sea is full of life, the other is dead. How come?

Here’s apparently why. The River Jordan flows into the Sea of Galilee and then flows out. The water simply passes through the Sea of Galilee in and then out - and that keeps the sea healthy and vibrant, teeming with marine life.

But the Dead Sea is so far below the mean sea level, that it has no outlet. The water flows in from the river Jordan , but does not flow out. There are no outlet streams. It is estimated that over 7 million tons of water evaporate from the Dead Sea every day. Leaving it salty. Too full of minerals. And unfit for any marine life.

The Dead Sea takes water from the River Jordan, and holds it. It does not give.

Result? No life at all.

Think about it.

Life is not just about getting. It’s about giving. We all need to be a bit like the Sea of Galilee .

We are fortunate to get wealth, knowledge, love and respect. But if we don't learn to give, we could all end up like the Dead Sea . The love and the respect, the wealth and the knowledge could all evaporate. Like the water in the Dead Sea .

If we get the Dead Sea mentality of merely taking in more water, more money, more everything the results can be disastrous.

Good idea to make sure that in the sea of your own life, you have outlets. Many outlets. For love and wealth - and everything else that you get in your life. Make sure you don't just get, you give too.

Open the taps. And you'll open the floodgates to happiness. Make that a habit. To share. To give.

And experience life. Experience the magic!

Wonderful, Dr.Anandi!

In the name of 'stories', you have given a real piece of information with your usual touch of message at the bottom. I have made use of your post in a thread ('Steve Jobs') in 'General Discussion' forum. Hope you would be happy about it.

Thank you for the info and message. Keep up your good work.

Thank you so much Sir... I am just a drop in the vast ocean of knowledge.. This way I learn and motivate myself... MILES TO GO BEFORE I SLEEP. But I can tell you from my learning experiences that there is a big transformation in me. I have become sober and patient, my perceptive towards the world and the people have changed.. I have learned how to be cool, where to be social, where to be indifferent, where to comment, where to keep silence, where to be smart and where to be innocent... Before it was speak your heart, now think before you speak and act…(Too much of sentiments will make you miserable.) These are from the self learning like Ekalavya,
To be frank and direct, I was a coopa mantuham at one time...to reach to this level.. I had to travel a lot, a long hard journey of learning and experience.. Still to go... I am learning every day... The more you are humble and receptive..the fast you will learn...the sweeter and better will be the result... Thank you so much. With respects.. Anandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back