• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Who gets peace from visiting Temples?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRN

There is a mistaken assumption that, by visiting temples and worshipping the deity, one gets peace and blessings. That may be true in the ideal scenario. But what happens in reality?

People who visit big temples as a family, often are bothered by such diversions like taking care that the children in the group don't stray away, travel, stay and/or parking arrangements etc etc. Worshipping the deity with closed eyes in peace, is an impossibility.

I have noticed a habit with women. They aren't able to focus on the deity, since they are always concerned whether someone else is looking at them. Their eyes keep straying here and there, and sometimes they come up before you in the queue, ostensibly to look at the deity, but then look back to see if you are looking at them or not. They serve only to distract the other people in the queue.

The men who visit temples as part of a family, often have various duties to perform, that the wives assign them. Such men are quite unlikely to get a few moments of solitary communion with the deity.

The bachelors who visit temples can be of two types - those who are distracted by women, and those who aren't. Only the latter, is able to get that much needed peaceful communion mentioned earlier. However, even they often face various distractions, from the other visitors to the temple.

In short, if the purpose of visiting a temple is to ardently pray to the deity, with the mind solely focused on it, then hardly 1% of the visitors are able to get that goal achieved.

I get happiness and peace of mind, ONLY when I visit

temples which are not at all crowded!

I choose to pray in the temple in our colony, only on the

days which are not special. :pray2:

Prayer is more peaceful at home. :thumb:

Same here. If I want communion with the deity, I need that solitude.

But sometimes I want to be part of a crowd, an nonentity. If it's a temple like Guruvayur or Thirupati, that's a different thing altogether. I have felt how God Venkatesha is visiting himself, in all these forms.

கோவில் இல்லா ஊரில் குடியிருக்க வேண்டாம் என்பது ஆன்றோர் வாக்கு
ஏன் இதை சொன்னார்கள் ...?

ஆலயம் தொழுவது சாலமும் நன்று என்றும் சொன்னார்கள்

இன்று கோவில் இல்லாத ஊர் வேண்டாம், கோவில் இல்லாத தெருவே இல்லை

ஏன் ...இந்த Tamil Brahmin site’ ன் வலது பக்க மேற்பகுதியில் கோவில் கோபுரத்தை காண முடிகிறது

சற்று சிந்திப்போமே ….

அர்த்தமுள்ள இந்து மதம்.

No discussion was there about 'peace of mind', in that thread.

There were only a few ego clashes!! ;)

As for as I am concerned I don't find more difference ..anyway

IMO to get piece of mind it is always better to practice...சும்மா இருத்தலே சுகம்.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're sensitive to energy, the prathishta is often imbued with ritualistic energy. Meditating on the prathishta can be a unique experience. In fact, I distinguish the quality of the Priests based on the energy of the prathishta. If you want to be more metaphysical: in Yantra creation, this process of imbuing prana or energy is called [FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]Pranapratishta.[/FONT]

Vanakkam,

Nothing compares to the the peace and tranquil that one feels in temple, however temporal it may be. As soon one is out in the temple and continue with the life and the tasks ahead, the tranquil vanishes for some.

The inevitable question now is, how to remain and prolong the peace felt in the temples so that our lives will be perpetually peaceful?

There is a mistaken assumption that, by visiting temples and worshipping the deity, one gets peace and blessings. That may be true in the ideal scenario. But what happens in reality?

People who visit big temples as a family, often are bothered by such diversions like taking care that the children in the group don't stray away, travel, stay and/or parking arrangements etc etc. Worshipping the deity with closed eyes in peace, is an impossibility.

I have noticed a habit with women. They aren't able to focus on the deity, since they are always concerned whether someone else is looking at them. Their eyes keep straying here and there, and sometimes they come up before you in the queue, ostensibly to look at the deity, but then look back to see if you are looking at them or not. They serve only to distract the other people in the queue.

The men who visit temples as part of a family, often have various duties to perform, that the wives assign them. Such men are quite unlikely to get a few moments of solitary communion with the deity.

The bachelors who visit temples can be of two types - those who are distracted by women, and those who aren't. Only the latter, is able to get that much needed peaceful communion mentioned earlier. However, even they often face various distractions, from the other visitors to the temple.

In short, if the purpose of visiting a temple is to ardently pray to the deity, with the mind solely focused on it, then hardly 1% of the visitors are able to get that goal achieved.

LOL!

Why blame women for not concentrating on deity?
There is no rule that one should concentrate on deity..or may be the women are afraid some men might start fantasizing!LOL

IMO to get piece of mind it is always better to practice...சும்மா இருத்தலே சுகம்.

Yes, but if not for darshan, then why go to temples at all? I am talking about the kind of devotees, who believe in darshan of the deity and the happiness and blessings they get out of the vision. In some big temples you have to go through a lot of hardship to get even a few seconds darshan. Devotees sometimes say, they experienced an ineffable peace after getting that darshan. Undoubtedly there is something in it.

LOL!

Why blame women for not concentrating on deity?
There is no rule that one should concentrate on deity..or may be the women are afraid some men might start fantasizing!LOL

renuka..If women who visit temples are so obsessed about men who might be fantasizing about them, then such women aren't going to get the peace or whatever blessings they expect to get from the temple visit..

Most people visit temples to have darshan of the deity. And that requires concentration...Maybe you have a different purpose to visit, eh?

Last edited:

Headphones with music really help to focus one's state of consciousness; that is if the Priests aren't offended.

Dear Sir,
I don't believe in
சும்மா இருத்தலே சுகம், because many think that being idle will give 'sugam'! :couch2:

NO sir! An idle brain is the Devil's workshop. :evil:

Our thoughts should be good; these will lead to good actions - good life - peace of mind and happiness.

Thinking of blessings we get by God's grace and NOT grumbling about what we don't possess are the

basic needs to lead a happy life! :)

Extending a helping had to the needy near and dear ones gives a sense of contentment and a meaning to life!! :thumb:

renuka..If women who visit temples are so obsessed about men who might be fantasizing about them, then such women aren't going to get the peace or whatever blessings they expect to get from the temple visit..

Most people visit temples to have darshan of the deity. And that requires concentration...Maybe you have a different purpose to visit, eh?

I stopped going to temples long back.
I dont pray.

Easier to be free!

The crowded temples, the most famous ones, never gives me peace of mind. :(

Escaping the dashes by hefty men and women who tend to 'chutnify' others, is very irritating.

In Kerala temples, there is an added problem of many sweating 'thoppAjis, with bare chest. :yuck:

Maybe we should stop generalizing gender patterns. There are men and women who go to temples because they enjoy the company of the opposite sex. And then there are those who pray. Sometimes I do both.

Just now I read this horror news!! :scared:

''THRISSUR: Three elephants sparked pandemonium at the Guruvayoor temple after they ran amok, causing the

death of a mahout on Sunday.
The tusker named Sreekrishnan was the first one to run amok, followed by the other

two, Gopikannan and Ravikrishnan, leading to mayhem at the crowded temple.

The three jumbos were being paraded in the Sheeveli procession when they turned unruly. There was heavy rush of

pilgrims as it was a Sunday and the
Sabarimalaseason has got underway. A near stampede followed as devotees ran

for cover.

Sreekrishnan, which stormed through the temple premises, turned on its mahout and gored him to death. The temple

authorities identified the deceased handler as Kothachira Veluthedath Subash (37) of Peringode near
Kunnamkulam.

As many as 12 people, including an elderly woman and a boy, suffered injuries in the commotion that followed.

Sreekrishnan was finally brought under control after it got stuck in the old 'prasadam' distribution counters. The other two

elephants were tethered after they emerged out of the temple. The priest, who was holding the 'thidambu' (replica of the idol)

atop the elephant Gopikannan had a narrow escape as he jumped off from its back when the tusker trundled into a narrow

passage in front of the Bhagavathi temple inside the main temple complex.''

Source:
Mahout dies as elephants run amok .........

Dear Sir,
I don't believe in
சும்மா இருத்தலே சுகம், because many think that being idle will give 'sugam'! :couch2:

NO sir! An idle brain is the Devil's workshop. :evil:

Our thoughts should be good; these will lead to good actions - good life - peace of mind and happiness.

Thinking of blessings we get by God's grace and NOT grumbling about what we don't possess are the

basic needs to lead a happy life! :)

Extending a helping had to the needy near and dear ones gives a sense of contentment and a meaning to life!! :thumb:

தாங்கள் என்னுடைய கருத்தை தவறாக புரிந்துக்கொண்டுளீர்கள் என்றே நான் நினைக்கின்றேன்

சும்மா இருத்தலே சுகம் என்பது ...மனதை ஓர் இடத்தில் அமர்ந்து நிலைப்படுத்துதல் ..இது ஒரு கடினமான பயிற்சி

யோகாசனத்தில் பல ஆசனங்கள் உண்டு
இதில் ஓன்று 'சவாசனம்' என்றும் கூறுவர்

இதன் பலன்கள் பல
அனால் பயிற்சி கடினம் ..

முயன்று பார்ப்பவர்களுக்கு உண்மை புரியும்

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerala should stop abusing Elephants. Elephants are too smart to be chained.

It's also really silly how it is a status symbol among old families in Kerala to own an Elephant or two: I can't share links yet, but you should search for 'Godfather Thaliyane Panineeru' on Youtube and watch the first video.

I practice 'savAsanA' almost everyday for a few minutes. :)

But being 'chummA' 24x7 is impossible!

We are assigned many duties according to our karmAs, done in previous and this birth.

I practice 'savAsanA' almost everyday for a few minutes. :)

But being 'chummA' 24x7 is impossible!

We are assigned many duties according to our karmAs, done in previous and this birth.

No rule is applicable to everyone. Some are comfortable even sitting quiet, which can be very difficult in practice to others.

Maybe we should stop generalizing gender patterns. There are men and women who go to temples because they enjoy the company of the opposite sex. And then there are those who pray. Sometimes I do both.

I agree, and I don't see anything wrong in it either. I was just trying to categorize them and see who ideally gets that peace amidst all that distraction. Personally, I like to see the faces of children too. Sometimes they can be noisy, but I try to see it all from the child's perspective - why all this noise from the gong, why all this crowd.....it doesn't make sense from the child's angle....:D

Yes, but if not for darshan, then why go to temples at all? I am talking about the kind of devotees, who believe in darshan of the deity and the happiness and blessings they get out of the vision. In some big temples you have to go through a lot of hardship to get even a few seconds darshan. Devotees sometimes say, they experienced an ineffable peace after getting that darshan. Undoubtedly there is something in it.

There are Dyana mantapams in temples, but of course not in all temples... and devotees who visit temples also sit calmly, relax and perform Dyana and is so tranquil for those who seek inner peace. This has to be experienced and cannot be explained..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back