• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Whither Indian Culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is, it is easy to pick up the stuff we want easily from our scriptures, arts & architecture, shilpa kalAs, stOtramAlAs etc. but all these also leave scope for counter arguments.

I agree with that.
But I also disagree with people who cry about the death of Culture. Just because it has changed from what it was some time ago in some place.

H2O in solid form is ice, in liquid form is water and in gaseous form is steam. It goes from one form to another and back again. No one needs to cry about it.

Last edited:
sir,

do you mean to say hinduism is already dead? is it hence our women dress scantily, showing off their cleavage and our men sport plait!!!!!?

do you mean to say our indian culture is dead?

is this the conclusion to the title of this thread? I fear!!!!

Anything that is created or born must die one day.
Hinduism today is what you make of it.
I am very proud of my heritage. I argue with anybody who slights Hinduism.
But it is mostly their ignorance and ego that they do not appreciate the greatness of Hinduism as I know it.

sir,

do you mean to say hinduism is already dead? is it hence our women dress scantily, showing off their cleavage and our men sport plait!!!!!?

do you mean to say our indian culture is dead?

is this the conclusion to the title of this thread? I fear!!!!

Dear Sir,

If you do not like cleavage view..look at the feet of a woman instead of her breasts.

Remember in Ramayana..Lakshmana could only recognize Seeta's anklets and not any other jewelry?

Its becos he never looked anywhere else.

May be you can revert to Treta Yuga culture of looking only at a women's feet and let other guys who have no problems following Kali Yuga culture to enjoy side view..aerial view..frontal view...dorsal view of cleavage of the Samma Figure in front of them.

Dear Sir,

If you do not like cleavage view..look at the feet of a woman instead of her breasts.

Remember in Ramayana..Lakshmana could only recognize Seeta's anklets and not any other jewelry?

May be you can revert to Treta Yuga culture of looking only at a women's feet and let other guys who have no problems following Kali Yuga culture to enjoy side view..aerial view..frontal view...dorsal view of cleavage of the Samma Figure in front of them.
hi renu,

wow....what a pathological description....

Dear Sir,

hi renu,

wow....what a pathological description....you should born as male istead of woaman....you know very well abt male psycohlogy...

Dear Renu,

I liked one scene in the movie Kabali, in which his daughter asks the man in front of her

to look into her eyes and NOT anywhere else! :thumb:

Dear Narayan Sir,

Photos are drawn by contemporary artists and they have to depict the Goddesses with blouses. It might have

been a tough task for the tailor to stitch, fitting all hands! (No offence intended!) Do the idols of Goddesses in

temples also have blouses ON?

I can't imagine Shiva or Vishnu with clean shaven head! Lord Shiva is the Jatadhara, who could lock the furious

Ganga in his hair. And, about Lord Rama, in one of his krithis, Thyagaraja says:

pallavi, anupallavi: What profound extacy should have thrilled sage Vishvamitra when, after the subjugation of

Maricha, he was gazing on the curly forelocks gamboling on Shri Rama's forehead?

caraNam: Again, later on, responding to the gesture of the sage, when Rama effortlessly lifted and broke the

ponderous bow of Shiva. What rapturous delight the sage should have experienced at the sight of the victorious

sport of the forelocks on Shri Rama's forehead?

Source of meaning of krithi: Carnatic Songs - alakalalla

The culture... Indian culture....!!! one is free to show her legs... !!!

Leg over Leg is not the right way to Sit in front of PM, Indians reacts like this Peecee’s Picture with PM Modi

people-are-shaming-priyanka-chopra-for-showing-he-2-7197-1496155637-0_dblbig.jpg

This is called coincidence when the Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra met respected Indian PM Mr. Narendra Modi in Berlin.

An elated actress posted on a message along with her image with Modi on her Facebook page and captioned, “Was such a lovely chance to be in #berlin at the same time as the PM. Thank you @narendramodi Sir for his special time from your jampacked timetable to meet me today.”

Whilst Piggy Chops is in the German capital, berlin, for promoting her initial Hollywood project, Baywatch, PM Modi reached Germany for his 4 nation tour in order to harden two-sided ties and magnetize investment.

Read more at: http://laughingcolours.com/leg-over...like-this-peecees-picture-with-pm-modi-32558/

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Sir,

Good post. But Renukaji, you left out the ab crack and thigh gap. These are the modern day equivalent of six pack abs and biceps of males. LOL.

[video=youtube_share;95UdAo4JdJI]https://youtu.be/95UdAo4JdJI[/video]
kuchh rit jagat ki aisi hai har ek subah ki sham huisome of the world s tradition is as predictable as the fact that every morning has an evening
tu kaun hai tera nam hai kya sita bhi yahan badnam huiwho are you what s your name even sita was slandered here

nagas.jpg

naga-sadhus-1024x768.jpg

This too is our culture.

So it is a problem if PC shows her legs. However was it ever a problem when Gandhiji wore a short dhoti showing his legs?

Think about it for a bit. Why is it a problem if a woman shows her legs but it is A-ok if a man shows his legs? What is the anatomical difference between male legs and female legs?

Let us be brutally honest with the answer. The problem is with the male mind.

The culture... Indian culture....!!! one is free to show her legs... !!!

Leg over Leg is not the right way to Sit in front of PM, Indians reacts like this Peecee’s Picture with PM Modi

people-are-shaming-priyanka-chopra-for-showing-he-2-7197-1496155637-0_dblbig.jpg

This is called coincidence when the Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra met respected Indian PM Mr. Narendra Modi in Berlin.

An elated actress posted on a message along with her image with Modi on her Facebook page and captioned, “Was such a lovely chance to be in #berlin at the same time as the PM. Thank you @narendramodi Sir for his special time from your jampacked timetable to meet me today.”

Let us be brutally honest with the answer. The problem is with the male mind.

You are right Sir,

It may be one of the patriarchal norms that have been passed on from generation to generation in our culture.

While so, how come some temples in Kerala and Tamil Nadu restrict male devotees with half naked... male devotees are allowed without an upper garment, they wear only dhoti and angavastra...?

A couple of days back, I visited Mutt at Kancheepuram and was asked to remove my T.shirt in one particular area.

Now where is the problem lies.... ? I think we had a culture shock some where..

While there are movie hoardings displaying actress in less dress outside, inside the temple there are sculptures depicting women in nudity..

P.S: 'A girl is more responsible for rape than a boy': The statement that shocked the world... except India
The female victims have been blamed for sexual attacks and rape by men
To read more click here

India outrage after woman politician blames women for rape

There has been outrage in India after a politician, who is also a member of a government panel for women, blamed women for rape.

Asha Mirje said women too were "responsible to an extent" for rape and that their "clothing and behaviour" played a part. Women's rights activists, the Congress party and the main opposition BJP said her comments were "unacceptable".
Ms Mirje later apologised, saying it was her "personal opinion".

In India, where a rape is recorded every 22 minutes, scrutiny of sexual violence has grown since the gang rape and murder of a student on a bus in Delhi in December 2012.

Ms Mirje is a leader of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) that governs the western Indian state of Maharashtra. She is also a member of the Maharashtra State Commission for Women.

The controversial comments were made at a meeting of the party's women workers in Nagpur city on Tuesday.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-25940583

Priyanka chopra did not go to "office".
I did not think of Priyanka at all, Prasad Sir! :nono:

Anyway, we were 'taught' by our parents NOT to sit in front of elders in the way Prinyanka sits.

It shows disrespect to them. The next generation has changed a lot.

Men are allowed with upper garments in temples of Tamil Nadu and also Tirupathi. Only the mutts enforce

the half -bare-body for men! Probably they want to check whether a female enters with a male dress! :lol:

Men are allowed with upper garments in temples of Tamil Nadu and also Tirupathi. Only the mutts enforce

the half -bare-body for men! Probably they want to check whether a female enters with a male dress! :lol:

There may be lot of reasons behind such practice...... but one among the reasons may be perhaps to find out whether the visitor has a sacred thread....

There may be lot of reasons behind such practice...... but one among the reasons may be perhaps to find out whether the visitor has a sacred thread....

Mutts and temples are two different propositions !

The act of removing a shirt stems from cultural practice that in front of a higher authority one should be shirtless.

Even in Tamil movies we see when the Zamindar comes male servants are shown sans shirts bowing down as a sign of respect.

Likewise this culture must have stuck on to mutts..temples of South India to show respect to God.

In North priests are not shirtless..even out here in Msia North India Brahmin priests wear kurta dhoti with a shawl around their neck..shawl is usually ochre in color with Sanskrit Aum or Om Namah Shivaya written all over it in Sanskrit...may be in North servants need not be shirtless in front of Zamindars so the culture never influenced the temples..partly winter is cold in North..so cant expect Thoppai Mamas to be shirtless in temples.

So its clear that being shirtless is just "I am a Servant"
mindset and nothing more.

May be if one wants to be a slave they can be
Pants Offski( its from a cartoon charecter called the Red Guy where he looks like a devil and does not wear pants and he gives himself a Polish sounding name and calls himself Dr Pants Offski)

Last edited:

In some of the temples women between 10-50 age group are not allowed.

Members may be having their own reasoning for this also.....:)

And may drag even Sharon Stone to support such claim....

An those who want to see such a gathering of sadhus without pants/undergarment, are free to attend Kumbh mela..lol

In some of the temples women between 10-50 age group are not allowed.

Members may be having their own reasoning for this also.....:)

And may drag even Sharon Stone to support such claim....lol

Well..its just basic instinct for some to be fatally attracted to the feminine form hence females are kept away to prevent the males from being Stoned by their own emotions by focusing on Sharonam instead of Sharanam!LOL

Last edited:
The act of removing a shirt stems from cultural practice that in front of a higher authority one should be shirtless.

Even in Tamil movies we see when the Zamindar comes male servants are shown sans shirts bowing down as a sign of respect.

Likewise this culture must have stuck on to mutts..temples of South India to show respect to God.

In North priests are not shirtless..even out here in Msia North India Brahmin priests wear kurta dhoti with a shawl around their neck..shawl is usually ochre in color with Sanskrit Aum or Om Namah Shivaya written all over it in Sanskrit...may be in North servants need not be shirtless in front of Zamindars so the culture never influenced the temples..partly winter is cold in North..so cant expect Thoppai Mamas to be shirtless in temples.

So its clear that being shirtless is just "I am a Servant"
mindset and nothing more.

May be if one wants to be a slave they can be
Pants Offski( its from a cartoon charecter called the Red Guy where he looks like a devil and does not wear pants and he gives himself a Polish sounding name and calls himself Dr Pants Offski)

I do not think "I am a servant" stuff is the origin of this shirt-less or blouse-less syndrome.

I remember reading a vedic passage (most likely, but could also be a smriti exhortation) that abjures vedic people from wearing anything that is stitched. It may be their view that any cloth that is stitched means "mending" a thing, which was considered impure.

Also the brahmacharis were exhorted not to sport angavastram, which meant being topless and also the requirement of uncut or single piece apparels for performing any yagnas. Also I remember my ultra-conservative grandmother tying just a cloth around her chest when she moved out of the house and covering her modesty only with her pallu when she was in the house.

The north-south divide of brahmins can be easily be gleaned from the digs they made at each other from so many articles where northies made fun of southies for marrying their cousins and the southies calling northies "brashtA" for covering their upper torso.

I am reminded of the tamizh proverb "kandhai aanaalum kashakki kattu", meaning "even if the cloth to be worn is a rag, ensure that it washed and clean", but there is no mention of stitching the kandhai.

Could "kandhai" also mean a stitched rag? I am not sure. May be Raji Madam can clarify.

Dear Narayan Sir,

Photos are drawn by contemporary artists and they have to depict the Goddesses with blouses. It might have

been a tough task for the tailor to stitch, fitting all hands! (No offence intended!) Do the idols of Goddesses in

temples also have blouses ON?

How do you know which pre-dates which..? (the photos or the idols in temples). What makes you think the idols of Goddesses are earlier to the photo stuff..?

I can't imagine Shiva or Vishnu with clean shaven head!

What about Vamana avatara, excepting for kudumi....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back