• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Whither Indian Culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying that ogling at apsaras, nartakis, devadasis is not Indian culture?

Hey it does say in Puranas that in Indra Loka one gets to frolic with Apsaras in aerial cars.

So all cultures do dream of damsels in heaven!LOL

6 pack or not, I feel more disturbed by half-uncovered male bodies than by slightly uncovered female bodies. :D

Particularly if the unclad body belongs to overweight mamas! What do you say RRji?
YEAH!! :D
I am waiting for the dawn of the day when all the temples will ban the entry of half covered mAmAs!! :peep:

For the past few years, I notice that most of the women folk travelling by train, get up early, wash their face,

comb their hair and apply some face powder, to look fresh. (Earlier, most of them will have a 'train look', with

a dried jasmine string hanging from the plait / kondai!) This is a good change and I like it. :cool:

BTW, whenever I land in Madras (not Chennai then!) from Vizag, in the early 80s, my in-laws used to say

that I don't look like a person who has traveled since the previous noon! My motto: ''Look fresh; feel fresh''!:)

Very conveniently you limited your time frame to hundred years. If you go back in History say thousands of years ago you contention is invalid. ..............................................................You shortened the time frame to your convenience.

I said "values are complicated. They are there since the distant past in time. Culture is built on mostly values".

Human were cannibals all over the world.
There is evidence, both archaeological and genetic, that cannibalism has been practiced for tens of thousands of years. Human bones that have been "de-fleshed" by other humans go back 600,000 years.

Please validate your understanding with source. Thanks.

Good Samaritanism and helpful actions are not specific to any nation's culture. In the US my car had got stuck on the side of the road 2 times. Both times I have been helped by Americans who did not seek anything in return.

If we are talking about Indian culture, one should also note the mindless vandalism on the recently launched Tejas Express.
http://www.opindia.com/2017/05/stol...oilets-not-flushed-tejas-express-maiden-trip/

This is also Indian culture. Let's take a hard look in the mirror.

It was a specific experience which I wanted to share.

According to Oxford English Dictionary: spontaneous adj. resulting from natural impulse not caused or suggested from outside. spontaneity n.

Last edited:
I am waiting for the dawn of the day when all the temples will ban the entry of half covered mAmAs!! :peep:

You have to live for another 300 years, because even now in some of the muTT administered temples they insist that males should take off their shirts and upper under vests. Where is the question of banning?

Also dont you find this wish of yours a bit contrary..? In other posts you have actively when male members commented to the change in costume of females, you were one of the anchors supporting the females changing their attires to suit their preferences. Why cant mAmAs visiting the temples have the same freedom?

Last edited:
sir,

in recent times there have been numerous instances reported in media of women being raped, of being abused violently, of being humiliated in public, of being molested etc.

some of these instances were caused by women wearing provocative dresses.

are you advising the women also 'so learn to to deal with it'?

This is a gross misinterpretation of what I say ! In fact your conclusion is not even remotely connected to the topic of culture !

What are you trying to achieve by connecting the unconnected?

I said "values are complicated. They are there since the distant past in time. Culture is built on mostly values".

I read about this too Vaagmi ji..
What Prasad ji wrote is a new discovery that Neanderthals could have been vegetarians from their dental plaque findings but their skeletal remains showed evidence of being de fleshed by Homosapiens.

For this I need to conduct an experiment.

All human bodily responses ranging from blood flow..Blood Pressure..Heart rate..respiratory rate and also hormonal levels need to be measured before viewing Ms Leone's videos and also measure during and after.

Then we can note how much of Samskar..Samskriti works.

I think saMskAras will not control blood flow in veins or heart rate, respiratory rate or even hormonal levels. They control the mind so that you respond and not react.

-TBT

Also dont you find this wish of yours a bit contrary..? In other posts you have actively when male members commented to the change in costume of females, you were one of the anchors supporting the females changing their attires to suit their preferences. Why cant mAmAs visiting the temples have the same freedom?
Oh! Narayan Sir! I never 'voted' for revealing dresses of females. :nono:

In fact, I have written that I hate nighties and prefer salwar kameez to wear at home.

Let mAmAs have freedom to 'expose'; there is always and option for me NOT to see them, right? :D

There is nothing "timeless".
In my post#63 I Said.

sir,

dyu mean to say hinduism is also timebound? it will die, disappear and become extinct one day? there will be no hindus on earth one day, absolutely none who would call himself/herself a hindu?

sir,

dyu mean to say hinduism is also timebound? it will die, disappear and become extinct one day? there will be no hindus on earth one day, absolutely none who would call himself/herself a hindu?

Yes Yes Yes.
Jagat Mithya.

Bhagvat Gita 2.27:

jātasya hi dhruvo mṛtyur
dhruvaḿ janma mṛtasya ca
tasmād aparihārye ‘rthe
na tvaḿ śocitum arhasi

One who has taken his birth is sure to die, and after death one is sure to take birth again.
Therefore, in the unavoidable discharge of your duty, you should not lament.
Brahma Satyam Jagat Mithya

That the soul exists is the main message of Upanishads. According to Sri Sankaracharya, one can sum up the entire message of Vedanta in three crisp aphorisms. ‘Brahma Satyam, Jagat Mithya and Jivo Brahmaiva naparah’.

Brahma Satyam
Brahman is the all-pervasive life principle, life force, or the pure consciousness. It is not the conditioned consciousness, which manifests at the level of the brain and is under the influence of mind, intellect and ego. It is the undisturbed state of consciousness that exists beyond time and space and is the silence between the thoughts.

Consciousness is the ultimate truth, the timeless and transcendental reality. It exists first matter follows after.

If we look at matter closely we find that atoms, electrons, protons, etc. perfect in organization and complete in creation. This can happen only if there is some intelligence at work. Perhaps something existed earlier and has brought about such an orderly and beautiful creation. It has to be a conscious entity.

Consciousness alone has to be the first and eternal reality. Everything else including matter is created and is, thus, perishable.

This is Brahma Satyam. Brahman means consciousness and satya means that “which exists in all the three periods of time; – past, present and future and that which transcends time and is thus timeless”.

Jagat Mithya

The word Jagat signifies the entire world, the cosmos, all objects of our knowledge, both gross and subtle thoughts, emotions and energy.

Everything near or far, inside or outside, now or later, good or bad; is part of this Jagat.

Jagat is defined as Jayate gachati iti jagat, i.e. ‘that which is born and dies is jagat’. Birth and death are movements in time and that which is in time constantly changes.

Mithya is that which is not present there in all three periods of time or ‘that which had a birth at a particular time and that which will certainly die at some point of time.

Jagat Mithya implies that the world and everything in it exists for experience and is transient.

Jivo Brahmaiva NaparahThis sutra means that ‘every jiva - the apparent limited and finite entity – is basically the infinite and limitless Brahman and nothing else. Every jiva is basically God himself with a limited identity.

Brahma SatyamBrahman is the all-pervasive life principle, life force or pure consciousness. It is not the conditioned consciousness, which manifests at the level of brain and is under the influence of mind, intellect and ego.

http://blog.kkaggarwal.com/2012/04/brahma-satyam-jagat-mithya/

Last edited:

If I quote a source, you will say it is not authentic (because you alone is ).
You could have googled it yourself (I know you can do that).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism
Even before modern humans walked the Earth, human ancestors practiced cannibalism.
Homo antecessor, the last common ancestor between Neanderthals and modern humans, relied on cannibalism regularly, even when other food sources were available. These humans would sometimes hold cannibal feasts, with members of rival groups on the menu.

The remains of the victims were found alongside the bones of ancient bears, mammoths, foxes and other animals.

The earliest humans in Europe 32,000 years ago practiced ritual cannibalism, according to a study published in 2011 in the journal PLoS One. The oldest evidence of cannibalism suggests that humans ate other humans not for nutritional purposes but rather as a part of funeral rites.

https://www.seeker.com/cannibalism-a-history-of-people-who-eat-people-1769840684.html

sir,

perhaps yes, perhaps no. If it becomes so, that would be long after the abrahamic and the other isms have dried up and become defunct...

nobody in hinduism thinks much of calling themselves a hindu... it is all done for quota purposes... our identity does not begin and end with a religion. the name tagging is only for those with a fetish for such things...

Renukaji, if you bring up gayness, that willl spark another mega thread on loss of Indian culture.

What has culture got to do with homosexuality?

Homosexuality exists in all cultures and all religions.

Its just the law of attraction that sometimes surfaces much later in life or after a stint in prison.

perhaps .....nobody in hinduism thinks much of calling themselves a hindu... it is all done for quota purposes... our identity does not begin and end with a religion. the name tagging is only for those with a fetish for such things...

sir,

do you mean to say hinduism is already dead? is it hence our women dress scantily, showing off their cleavage and our men sport plait!!!!!?

do you mean to say our indian culture is dead?

is this the conclusion to the title of this thread? I fear!!!!

Last edited:
Seeing the sculptures in the temples, we know that women were NOT wearing blouses in olden days.

Kachchai was what they wore, which is similar to today's upper inner garments of women! The madisAr

sarees changed to six yards sarees for convenience and now it is salwar kameez - again for convenience.

Only a few modern girls wear 'showy' dress to office and others cover themselves well. :)

As Renu says, somehow men are always worried about what women wear! Men folk changed their attire

from panchakachcham, to dhoti to pants. So, let women also change their costume.

The olden movies had different female actresses for what is known as 'item number'. They wore showy /

scanty dresses and did 'that' dance number. But now there is no need for such females! The heroines are

very very liberal! That is also a change in movie culture. :cool:

BTW, when you start viewing something different, you notice the change for some period. After that you

get 'used' to it and won't bother to think about it anymore! :peace:

P.S: The long hair of men is nothing new to us. In olden days they sported a kudumi - without rubber-band!

.. do you mean to say hinduism is already dead? .....
OMG! I think you are confused a lot! When you want Hinduism to 'Live', why do you cheer when

two persons did NOT enter the religion and caste of their sons, while admitting them in school?

Seeing the sculptures in the temples, we know that women were NOT wearing blouses in olden days.

Kachchai was what they wore, which is similar to today's upper inner garments of women!

See the photos of Sree Lalitha Tripura Sundari or Sree Lakshmi or Sree Durga or Sree mahAsaraswati for contrast, always wearing a blouse even when depicted with 4 or 8 or even 16 hands.

P.S.: The long hair of men is nothing new to us. In the olden days they sported a kudumi - without rubber-band!

Contrast that with the description of Rudra in Rudram as "vyuptha keSayAcha" and also "kapardine cha" and Adi Sankara's photos with totally shaved head and both Sri mahA viSnu and Sri mahAdevan appearing totally clean shaven and with No kudumi in any of the photos.

The point is, it is easy to pick up the stuff we want easily from our scriptures, arts & architecture, shilpa kalAs, stOtramAlAs etc. but all these also leave scope for counter arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back