• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tomatoes in Brahmin cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.
jambu,

from what little i know, i think, that the true true brahmin food is the தெவச சாப்பாடு. only these contain the ingredients which were prevalent in south india before the europeans came.

with the coming of europeans, who discovered these in the americas, came potatos, tomatos and a host of new vegetables.

also came along with the british, lettuce, carrots, cauliflower etc.

Native American cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it is truly amazing, even for us orthodox brahmins, how our palates have changed in the past 5 centuries. and wonder.

Jambu and K, I vaguely remember someone orthodox mentioning to me the same about கொத்துமல்லி, is it true?

jambu,

i think aztecs were the original planters of tomatoes in 700 AD.europenas embraced it,especially Italians.England's rich people actually thought tomatoe were poisanous,as the acid from the tomatoes used to leach the lead plates,hence it became popular with poor english people who used wooden plates and fear of poisoning was not their.english introduced us to this.in fact it was orginally a fruit to avoid taxation purposes but subsequently was made a vegetable,and hence taxed as vegetable in usa.for our cooking especially rasam,tomatoes add flavor tremendously rich in vit c too.avoids scurvy diseases if taken regularly.

Hi,kindly explain abt the need for avoidance of onions by Brahmins....
Dr Bhavani

Hi,kindly explain abt the need for avoidance of onions by Brahmins....
Dr Bhavani

puzhavai

onions garlic increasing rajasicam gunam in a human according to ayurveda.when you have rajasicam gunam,spiritual pursiut is hampred.so its not part of saathvicam foods.

jambu,

from what little i know, i think, that the true true brahmin food is the தெவச சாப்பாடு. only these contain the ingredients which were prevalent in south india before the europeans came.

with the coming of europeans, who discovered these in the americas, came potatos, tomatos and a host of new vegetables.

also came along with the british, lettuce, carrots, cauliflower etc.

Native American cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it is truly amazing, even for us orthodox brahmins, how our palates have changed in the past 5 centuries. and wonder.
sri kunjuppu, as far as i am given to understand தவசசாப்பாடு is not the ideal one. very delaying in digestion. reason given is kartha/ and brahmanas who eat after தவசம் should not take any food that night. Once eating only. hence such items உளுந்து,பயன்தம்பருப்பு based dishes, அதிரசம், அப்பம், jack fruits etc etc are added [rather prescribed] all which enable slow digestion or impede normal digestion. Main reason being since one time eating & to ensure one should not feel hunger till next day>>> Therefore தவச சாப்பாடு can not be regular & normal food. hope what I have understood is correct. Regards

puzhavai

onions garlic increasing rajasicam gunam in a human according to ayurveda.when you have rajasicam gunam,spiritual pursiut is hampred.so its not part of saathvicam foods.

Now a days people started using beans,carrot,cucumber etc for devasam samayal where use of green chillies was itself a taboo

Sri. Kunjuppu said :-

from what little i know, i think, that the true true brahmin food is the தெவச சாப்பாடு.

Greetings. I think Sri. Kunjuppu is right. yes, Sri.Nara, Coriander leaves are not added. Interestingly, Thoor Dhaal, Chenna Dhal are not added either! Green chillies not added either. Raw rice is allowed; boiled rice is not.

Cheers!

Now a days people started using beans,carrot,cucumber etc for devasam samayal where use of green chillies was itself a taboo

i think my house cooks using black pepper even to this day,though i totally agree to slow digestion,of devasome sappadhu,but we are encouraged to have pala-aharam in the night like dosai idly vadai etc.i learnt a technique from my periappa to mix payasam vazha pazham thane squish all of them and then a dab of ghee at the end before consumption,tastes like pancha-amrutham to me from pazhani,yummy slurp drool sigh!:faint:

sri kunjuppu, as far as i am given to understand தவசசாப்பாடு is not the ideal one. very delaying in digestion. reason given is kartha/ and brahmanas who eat after தவசம் should not take any food that night. Once eating only. hence such items உளுந்து,பயன்தம்பருப்பு based dishes, அதிரசம், அப்பம், jack fruits etc etc are added [rather prescribed] all which enable slow digestion or impede normal digestion. Main reason being since one time eating & to ensure one should not feel hunger till next day>>> Therefore தவச சாப்பாடு can not be regular & normal food. hope what I have understood is correct. Regards

thanks drs.

my point here, is the ingredients and the cooking style of தவசசாப்பாடு is the original food for us prior to european influence.

it is my view, that when it comes to the propiations of the soul, we did not want to tamper with the then traditions.

over time, we have, i think, slowly absorbed the mleccha vegetables like potatos, tomotoes to an extent these are now part & parcel of our daily diet. again this has been selective.

garlic, which is native to india, is still shunned, because so strong is our association of garlic with the so called 'lower' castes. also some reluctance to adopt cauli flower. we do not know what to do with lettuce. but carrots & beetroots appear to be ok.

i do not think there is any right or wrong associated with our changing food habits. it is just a more, and should be treated thus. look at us now. those living in the north, almost have chappaatis as an add on to their rice diet regularly. the northern chappaatis taste different and are made different from the ones that the southern domiciled ones make. one only has to go to saravana bhavan to taste the southern chappattis and puris, salty and more greasy, than their northern counterparts.

i do not know if there is any written records of TB daily food 500 years ago. i am only saying that i view தவசசாப்பாடு as the original food, due to our still primary unwavering awe of the pithurs, atleast among a large section of us.

hope this explains.

Last edited:
without 'kottais' ie seeds,the process is incomplete,for kidney stones,eating of vaazhathandu dishes does the trick of dissolving stones,naturally. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
beware but .. tomato seeds cause kidney stones .. so remove them before cooking :)
This is one favourite quote amongst many, including some dear ones in my family. Some might imagine that the seeds do not dissolve, and agglutinate and become stones.

This is not true.

Tomatoes contain oxalic acid, and too much of oxalates and calcium would result in calcium oxalate deposits, and when they do not pass out through the body, become 'stones'. And oxalates are present in many foods; why blame the tomato?

Have வாழைத்தண்டு போரியல் or juice regularly, and drink adequate water. That is all is needed to enjoy tomatoes.

Regards,

without 'kottais' ie seeds,the process is incomplete,for kidney stones,eating of thazambhu dishes does the trick of dissolving stones,naturally.
Shri nn, தாழம்பூ dishes....????:crazy:

This is one favourite quote amongst many, including some dear ones in my family. Some might imagine that the seeds do not dissolve, and agglutinate and become stones.

This is not true.

Tomatoes contain oxalic acid, and too much of oxalates and calcium would result in calcium oxalate deposits, and when they do not pass out through the body, become 'stones'. And oxalates are present in many foods; why blame the tomato?

Have வாழைத்தண்டு போரியல் or juice regularly, and drink adequate water. That is all is needed to enjoy tomatoes.

Regards,

sapthajihva

meant to write vaazhathandu dishes instead wrote thazhambhu for dissolving something else all together,corrected my post,what will i do without you oh sapthajihva,my saviour :)

meant to write vaazhathandu dishes instead wrote thazhambhu for dissolving something else all together,corrected my post,...
ஜன்னல் வழியா கலர் பார்த்துண்டு எழுதினா இப்படி தான் தப்பு தப்பா வரும்...:cool:

-----------------

Glory to the script converter...!!!

எப்படியொஹ் கண்டு பிடிசுட்ரீங்க்லாய் சார், நான் பண்ற அமக்லத்தை எல்லாம் ,எப்படி sapthajihva ?எங்கயோ மச்சம் இருக்கு உங்களுக்கு ?

dear jambu,
tomatoe illamey rasamey ille how could they say this and what did they use then for rasam

dear jambu,
tomatoe illamey rasamey ille how could they say this and what did they use then for rasam

Is it really true? Even today some rasam are made without tomatoes I donot have the recipes. Haven"t you heard of goddu Rasam milagu rasam jeera rasam etc. Jambu:cool:

Last edited:
dear jambu,
milagu rasam and gottu rasam are all for fever and purging days to clear the system, the every day one is something one has to have it with tomatoes they are a great combi with keerai mashiyal and urulai roast, ...sunkan
Tomato+Rasam.jpg
spinach-masiyal-palak-curry-kulambu-kadanja-keerai-masiyal.jpg

urulai+2.jpg

Viswamitrar created a world for Trisanku. TOMATOES were created by Viswamitrar in that world as one of the vegetables.

So, in karnataka, even the weaver community's orthodox section, dont eat tomatoes even today.

Viswamitrar created a world for Trisanku. TOMATOES were created by Viswamitrar in that world as one of the vegetables.

So, in karnataka, even the weaver community's orthodox section, dont eat tomatoes even today.

tomatoe was originally planted by aztecs in 700 AD,how sage vishwamitrar is in picture,i am unable to understand?karnataka is the place for english vegetables,and especially bengaluru was a retirements paradise owing to wonderful climate,but owing to deforestation,the glory of bengaluru is dwindling.one of the most tranquil cities of India,once a bengluri always a bengluri...numma ooru bengluru oh mannina magha :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back