• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tomatoes in Brahmin cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.
jambu who said tomato rasam does not have puli it does have ...check ur list boss

great great grandma notes tell me,they used goose berry aka nelli kaai ,elimbachaa pazham for pulichyfying taste,but puli is the favored taste as it has some nerval booster properties as per shusrutha swami

Tomatoes, Potatoes, Hot peppers and Corn - all have origins in South America.
This is why we do not add chilli hot peppers in our 'divasams'.

Rasam tastes better when made with நாட்டு தக்காளி than with the பொங்களுர் variety Jambu:first:

Rasam tastes better when made with நாட்டு தக்காளி than with the பொங்களுர் variety Jambu:first:

jambu

and i thot bengluru is part of nattu, ie india?:focus:

tomatoe was originally planted by aztecs in 700 AD,how sage vishwamitrar is in picture,i am unable to understand?karnataka is the place for english vegetables,and especially bengaluru was a retirements paradise owing to wonderful climate,but owing to deforestation,the glory of bengaluru is dwindling.one of the most tranquil cities of India,once a bengluri always a bengluri...numma ooru bengluru oh mannina magha :)

dear nachi,
your explanation makes sense yes there were many angloindians later who enjoy mulagattany our melagu rasam and with naatti thakkali in bangalore...sunkan

jambu

and i thot bengluru is part of nattu, ie india?:focus:

In Tamil grammar there is a term உறுபும் பயனும் உடன் தொக்க தொகை That are grown in Bangalore region is பெங்களூர் தக்காளி.(பொங்களுரில் விளயும் தக்காளி - இல் & விளயும் வேற்றுமை உறுபும் & பயனும் தொக்கி உள்ளது ( Hidden) Grown in Ramnad chettinad ( areas around Madurai) is நாட்டு தக்காளி.This rule of the grammar operates here Jambu:fencing:

Last edited:

That is true. The extra tangy, mild புளிப்பு is great for making rasam. Itried different tomatoes and settled for this extra tangy tomato variety. (The rasam powder mix makes a huge difference too. Amoung the 'off-the shelf' varieties, I found MTR turns out to be very good; but then, there may be others that I did not come across).

Cheers!

எப்படியொஹ் கண்டு பிடிசுட்ரீங்க்லாய் சார், நான் பண்ற அமக்லத்தை எல்லாம் ,எப்படி sapthajihva ?எங்கயோ மச்சம் இருக்கு உங்களுக்கு ?

Dear Sir,

Deviating from the topic under discussion with your permission, could you pl. let me know the link where I can pick up typing the Tamil letters using English key board

S.Sridharan

In Tamil grammar there is a term உறுபும் பயனும் உடன் தொக்க தொகை That are grown in Bangalore region is பெங்களூர் தக்காளி.(பொங்களுரில் விளயும் தக்காளி - இல் & விளயும் வேற்றுமை உறுபும் & பயனும் தொக்கி உள்ளது ( Hidden) Grown in Ramnad chettinad ( areas around Madurai) is நாட்டு தக்காளி.This rule of the grammar operates here Jambu:fencing:

jambu

then we shud write madurai thakkali not nattu thakkali,isn't it?as nattu means entire india,wherein bengluru is part of the country ie nattu.

anyways jambu

bhaja govindam bhaja govindam
bhaja govindam müdãhamate,
samprápte sannihite kále
na hi na hi rakshúati dukirnøòkaranïe.(1)

Adore the Lord, adore the Lord, adore the Lord, O fool! when the appointed time (for departure) comes, the repetition of grammatical rules will not, indeed, save you.

so chanting, i am drinking thakkali rasam and with thayir sadam thottufying thakkali chutney,from bengluru thakkali ,a nattu thakkali variety,which is tangy enuff for my palate.

on a slightly tangential front, adyar's grand sweets make the most awesome tomato thokku. yum stuff.

tomatoes, thinly cut (3 mms) and dried in the sun, make excellent additions to sandwiches or as pizza toppings.

on a slightly tangential front, adyar's grand sweets make the most awesome tomato thokku. yum stuff.

tomatoes, thinly cut (3 mms) and dried in the sun, make excellent additions to sandwiches or as pizza toppings.

oh podungo kunjuppu saarukku ,adyar sweets rock my world :)

Dear Sir,

Deviating from the topic under discussion with your permission, could you pl. let me know the link where I can pick up typing the Tamil letters using English key board

S.Sridharan

ss

sorry i missed your post,but surya has given you the link...எங்கயோ போயடீன்கிலோ என்னமோ ,எல்லாரும் ஜஆ கிரிதை :crazy:

Dear Sir,

S.Sridharan

dear sridharan,
try this link it has helped me a lot but then again the right dh and d make a difference in writing liking dhaanam and daanam will produce two different d on the page.. do try it..sunkan

Type in Tamil - Google Transliteration

dear sridharan,
try this link it has helped me a lot but then again the right dh and d make a difference in writing liking dhaanam and daanam will produce two different d on the page.. do try it..sunkan

Type in Tamil - Google Transliteration

correct sunkan,if the spelling is diff the translation is diff,my tamizh teacher will tell me if she reads my tamizh posts,nee maraway maattaiyada!! damal one adi for me.:crazy:

For me, the Baraha Indian multi-lingual software is very convenient. Its transliteration scheme is akin to the ITRANS scheme and you can write text in many Indian languages using the English keyboard. This software is free and can be downloaded at Baraha - Free Indian Language Software

If you need to use Unicode for the text, the Baraha software has a provision to generate it in the hex format, and you would need to convert it to the decimal format by cutting and pasting the Bahara output in the input box titled 'Hexadecimal NCRs' here:
Unicode code converter [ishida >> utilities]

and then using the Demila NCRs after you click the Convert button.

True I have some relatives who don't eat tomatoes even now.

Vendakkai and Kathrikkai are not used in sraaddam but are allowed accoridng to the sastras on normal days.

There are three Doshas related to food according to the sastras( Chandogya Upanishad says Aahara suddau satva suddihi")

1. Jaati Dosham : Class of foods like onions, Garlic etc
2. Nimitta Dosham : Food during an eclipse, food cooked and eaten the next day, etc
3. Aashraya Dosham : Contamination caused by touching

There is a Tamil Prabandam by Swami Vedantha Desika, which summarises all of these and can be used as a ready reckoner by the devout.

Daasan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back