• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thought of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albert Einstein was my Godfather and a family friend. Over the years I have sought to increase my understanding of this great man, and the spiritual implications of his work. Einstein was a scientific giant who, perceiving the unified nature of reality, was able to express some of it mathematically. Beyond the role of scientist, he can best be thought of as a spiritual giant whose life, in terms of humility, compassion for humanity, and one pointed focus on God, stands as an example of how Sathya Sai Baba teaches us to live most happily.
Albert Einstein stands as a precursor and example of the unique type of scientist so sorely needed in the world today the type that Bhagawan is currently graduating from His Institute of Higher Learning. Under Swami's loving hand, these are "whole" scientists. Their aim is to benefit society and not merely accomplish selfish ends without thought to their work's impact upon humanity and the environment. These are scientists who combine spiritual awareness with state of the art training. Swami's graduates are at the leading edge of discovery in various fields. Three recent Ph.D.'s in physics had the unheard of experience of having their papers published in American physics journals within a year of receiving their degrees! Grounded in the truth that God is the source of all phenomena and knowledge, they maintain the perspective that the best path to understanding creation is to study the Creator.
Einstein also was this type of scientist, and his life was guided by this principle. His overriding goal was to "Understand how the 'Old One' thinks." And he devoted his life to the effort to gain "knowledge of the ultimate immutable essence that under girds the mutable, illusory world."
In this part of this article I will mention some personal stories about my family, Baba and Einstein. The continuing part will include some of Einstein's thoughts on science, spirituality, education and character, as well as what Swami had to say about him during a recent interview.
Although Einstein was deeply saddened by the ironic fact that some of his work led to the development of nuclear weapons, we might also consider that work also holds within it scientific illustration of spiritual truth. This article will conclude with some musings on how some of Einstein's work may be useful as one more 'tool' to help free us from Maya and accept the unseen Atma as the fundamental truth of life.
My father, Dr. Henry Abrams, opened his general medical practice in Princeton, New Jersey, in 1938. A year later, the physician who had been caring for Prof. Einstein, his daughter Margot and secretary Miss Helen Dukas, was leaving for further training. He approached my father and asked if he would care to take over, and he readily agreed. He cared for Einstein and the others until the outbreak of World War II.
Godfather Einstein

During the war my father was stationed on the cold and desolate island of Greenland. He and Einstein corresponded. While in Greenland my father received a letter from Einstein remarking that this should be a "contemplative period" for him, and urging him to consider getting further medical training in some speciality. Subsequently, my father did that, and returned to Princeton as the town's sole ophthalmologist. When I was born in 1949, he asked the professor, as Einstein preferred to be called, if he would be my Godfather, and Einstein consented. Thus, following Jewish tradition, Einstein was the one who held me for the eris Milah, the ritual circumcision ceremony. He was to have minor contact, but major impact over my life in the years to come. Further, because in the West the Godfather is considered a child's spiritual teacher I have come to consider Professor Einstein to be the first of several spiritual teachers in this life. They ultimately led me to Bhagavan.
Einstein died when I was six, and my recollections of him are few. I do remember that he had a very nice laugh, which he used often. For my fourth birthday, my parents and I were invited for a small celebration. My uncle took the opportunity to photograph the Professor and me dealing with the gifts that his secretary had obtained: a toy log cabin and a bag of foil covered chocolates in the form of "gold coins." It was this latter which occupied most of my attention. Professor Einstein worked on the log cabin, trying to fit the simple pieces of wood together. Interestingly, when I grew up and printed all the negatives, there was a picture of my mother leaning over Professor Einstein and the logs, showing him how the ends joined.
Of course at that young age I had no idea of what was so special about being around this nice old man. It wasn't until I was at college that I really began to appreciate the honour of being his Godson and to consider what his scientific work meant.
I discovered meditation at the age of twenty. As my spiritual journey proceeded I became intensely curious as to what my link was with such a luminous soul.
(to be continued...)

When the ruler becomes cognizant of the activities of evil times, ‘Kali’, he must investigate into the conditions favourable for its spread. Emperor Parikshit analyzed the situation and declared that Kali or wickedness can have sway only through the incompetence of the ruler, the loss of self-reliance among the people and the decline in the earning of Grace. These three are the factors that promote the plans of Kali. Without them, man cannot fall a prey to its wiles. Hence, Parikshit promoted alertness and leadership through personal example to his people. “Yatha raja, thatha praja” (As the ruler, so the ruled) is the proverb, he said. As their king, he attempted to give no room to injustice, force, evil character, untruth and violence; he formulated preventive plans to effectively check the influence of Kali .

-Bhagavatha Vahini, Chap XV.

See Good, Be Good and Do Good. This is the way to God. - Baba

Many feel that it is human to err and that Bhagawan should forgive their lapses. In fact, if they were truly human, they should not commit mistakes at all. Even if sometimes a mistake is committed, willingly or unwillingly, it should not be repeated. It is a grievous error to think that it is natural for a human being to err. To follow the directives of the senses is the mark of an animal. To be guided by the Atma is the sign of a human being. None should attempt to justify his or her weaknesses and lapses as natural to a human being; they should be regarded as signs of mental debility. When you have truly acquired sense-control, you will experience the power of the Divine in you.

- Divine Discourse, January 14, 1992.

God is Love. Love is God. - Baba

Everyone is endowed with a hridaya (spiritual heart). When you fill your heart with love and compassion, peace will reign supreme in the world. There will be no jealousy, hatred or anger, but only love everywhere. Restlessness will disappear from the face of the earth. One who has filled his heart with compassion will always remain in peace. It is most essential to know this truth. People mistake hridaya for the physical heart but truly it represents the all-pervasive Atmic principle, in other words, the Aham. So you should keep your heart absolutely pure and sacred.

-Vidya Vahini, Chap 16.

A pure heart is the essence of all spiritual practices. - Baba

Engage yourselves in selfless service. The reward for it will come of its own accord. Do not have any doubts on this score. Whatever you undertake, do it with all your heart and to your full satisfaction. That satisfaction is all the reward and recompense that you will need. It will confer great strength on you. This is the virtue that you have to cultivate. Acquire this true wealth. Without goodness, all other riches are of no avail.

-Divine Discourse, 11th March 1994.

See Good, Be Good and Do Good. This is the way to God. - Baba

"When God leads you to the edge of the cliff, trust Him fully and let go. Only one of two things will happen, either He'll catch you when you fall, or He'll teach you how to fly!"

The shastras (scriptures) direct and counsel everyone. People yield to delusion and become one with the darkness caused by false values and attachment to the unreal - the “me” and “mine”. But scripture is the mother; she does not give up. She persists and pursues; she reminds people of their goal in order to ensure that they will be saved. One need not drink the entire ocean to know its taste; placing just one drop on the tongue is enough. Similarly, it is impossible to understand all the contents of the scriptures. It is enough if one grasps the important lesson that is elaborated therein and puts that lesson into practice. The lesson is: Constant thought of God.

- Sutra Vahini, Chap 3, "The Vedas teach the constant thought of God".

God is Love. - Baba

Dear friends,

In my opinion...

"All great things should be simple" and
"All great men should be humble!"

Visalakshi Ramani.

(P.S. The title should actually read Thought for the day!)

( translated into Tamil by Mohan Manikkam )

சுயநலமற்ற சேவையில் உங்களை ஈடுபடுத்துங்கள். அதன் பலன் தானாக வந்து
சேரும். இது குறித்து எவ்வித சந்தேகமும் வேண்டாம். நீங்கள் எதைச்
செய்தாலும், உங்கள் முழு மனதையும் அதில் ஈடுபடுத்தி உங்களுக்கு முழு
திருப்தி தரும் வகையில் அதனைச் செய்யுங்கள். அதில் கிடைக்கும் திருப்தியே
அதன் முழுப் பலனும், பிரதி உபகாரமும் ஆகும். அது உங்களுக்கு பெரும்
மனோதிடத்தை அளிக்கும். இத்தகைய குணமே நீங்கள் வளர்க்க வேண்டியது. இந்த உண்மையான செல்வத்தைப் பெற்றுக் கொள்ளுங்கள். நல்ல குணம் இன்றி மற்ற செல்வங்கள் எல்லாம் வீணே.

forgive my flippancy, in the mood that i am in today, couldnt help writing in this thread which seemed apt to me. (thought for the 'day')

elsewhere i saw a debate (not read it in entirety though) which seeks to discuss whether 'the british are to be blamed'

in today's mood, i agree. infact i'd say 'damn the british'. if only they hadnt formed the commonwealth, today, india would have been spared of this humiliation loosely called the cwg 2010.

Science behind Lord Krishna's Aarti
The ritual of lighting a lamp

Ideally, ritualistic worship should be done with
the flame in the soul. However, since most of us do
not even experience this inner light, let alone
perform worship with it, the ritual of waving lit
lamps is performed with a physical lamp. One should
light a lamp using ghee (clarified butter) because
when burned, frequencies emanating from it are more
subtle than those emitted by burning oil or wax. Ghee
can attract sattvik (pure) frequencies from as far as
heaven while oil can attract frequencies from a
distance of only one-meter.

Today in this scientific age one might ridicule
lighting of lamps as one can have wonderful
electrification. We must remember that our ancestors
have attributed great importance to this after
in-depth study. They also did it with the spiritual
emotion of gratitude. Let us now compare electrical
and ghee lamps.

Electric lamp Ghee lamp
1. Kind of light emitted Blinding Mild, it reminds
one of the flame of the soud.
2. Effects on man Makes man extroverted and the
atmosphere chaotic. Makes man introverted.
3. Ability to light another lamp. Absent It can light
a thousand more lamps.

The ghee lamp symbolizes the spiritual emotion, �I
will be (spiritually) enlightened and (spiritually)
enlighten others as well�. The ghee lamp burns to
spread light. One can pray for kindling the light
(spiritual yearning) within us and for the ability to
spread the light (Spirituality) to others.

The spiritual meaning of things used in aarti for God,
and the method and science of waving around the aarti

A small plate (Tabak):

It represents the five-vital airs (panchpran) of our
body. One should have such spiritual emotion when
performing aarti that �I am waving around aarti for
God with my five vital airs.�

A metal lamp-dish (Niranjan):

The flame of ghee�s niranjan represents our �Atmajyot�
(internal light). The spiritual emotion one should
have is �with my five vital airs this atmajyot is
alive, and with such flame I am waving around God.�
The five niches (mouths) in a niranjan indicate the
relationship between five vital airs and atmajyot.
Panchaarti is the one done with five vital airs.

Cotton wicks (Vaat/baati):

Cotton represents detachment. Such a wick is to
connect the five vital airs (pranvayu) with the inner
light (atmajyot).

The image above is a depiction of the science
behind this ritual performed with five lamps (five
wicks in niranjan). When the �tabak� is waved around
in a circular motion, the pure (sattvik) frequencies
emitted from the flame of niranjan spread out in a
circular fashion. Hence, these sattvik frequencies
gradually convert to raja frequencies. These
frequencies are like a ripple effect in water. A
subtle armor is created, which is known as �ripple
armor�, around the one who sings the aarti. The
duration of this ripple armor is proportionate to the
spiritual emotion one has while singing the aarti (the
more is one�s spiritual emotion, the longer it stays).
Hence, due to increase in inner purity, one can absorb
more divine frequencies in the Universe. As one�s
spiritual emotion increases, one will begin to see the
reflection of the center point (atmabindu) and will
feel that the raja frequencies actually originate from
this center point.
- The Guru Principle, through Mrs. Anjali Gadgil.
Why is aarti done in a clockwise motion - how many
times and what significance does it have?

Aarti is done clockwise in a circular movement
from our left side. That simulates our Chandra (Ida)
nadi. It is a soothing effect. Usually five circles
are made during aarti, which represents the five
pranas, or vital airs.

What is the significance of offering lotus flowers,
tulsi leaves, and sheera or kheer as prasad (holy
sacrament)?

Flowers have different colors. Those colors are
able to attract Pavitrakas (subtle particles) of
different deities. In this case, Lord Krishna being an
incarnation of Lord Vishnu is attracted most by white
lotuses and Tulsi (holy basil, occimum sanctum)
leaves.

Prasad (holy sacrament) contains the pure
particles (pavitrakas) of a particular deity. In the
case of Lord Krishna, Kheer (a sweet dish made from
milk, sugar and rice/vermicelli) or sheera (a sweet
dish made from semolina, ghee and sugar) are offered.

The Rahukala is considered an inauspicious time (1 �
hours) that occurs daily. It is a period that is
usually avoided � especially when performing an
important task, undertaking a journey and so on.

It is important to ensure that you don�t start any
important work/sign important documents etc. during
the duration of the Rahukala. If you happen to have an
important appointment for example, and it happens to
fall during the rahukala, don�t worry. Just leave for
the appointment before the time, with a small prayer
for help and be sure that you will be ok. You may
start any work either before or after the rahukala but
preferably not during it. The same applies for doing
pujas etc.

As the timings vary daily, a line that is often used
to help us remember the timings is:

�Mother Saw Father Wearing THe Turban on a Sunday.�

The rahukala starts with 7.30 a.m. on Monday morning
and lasts each day for one and a half hours. The
sequence is for one and a half hours daily, as
suggested by the above line. Thus:

Monday - 7.30 - 9.00 a.m.

Saturday - 9.00 - 10.30 a.m.

Friday - 10.30 a.m - 12 noon

Wednesday - 12 noon - 1.30 p.m.

Thursday - 1.30 p.m - 3.00 p.m.

Tuesday - 3. 00 p.m. - 4.30 p.m.

Sunday - 4.30 p.m - 6.00 p.m.

"ஒரு வினாடிக்கு ஒரு கால்பந்து மைதான அளவுள்ள காடுகள் அழிக்கப்படுகின்றன,' என ஓசோன் தின கருத்தரங்கில் தெரிவிக்கப்பட்டது.

தமிழ்நாடு அறிவியல் இயக்கம் சார்பில் ஓசோன் தினம் மற்றும் பல்லுயிர்ச் சூழல் ஆண்டு சிறப்பு கருத்தரங்கு குன்னூர் பிராவிடன்ஸ் மகளிர் கல்லூரியில் நடத்தப்பட்டது. கல்லூரி முதல்வர் அருட்சகோதரி. மரியகொரட்டி மார்ட்டிஸ் தலைமை வகித்தார். துணை முதல்வர் அருட்சகோதரி.ஷீலா வரவேற்றார். தமிழ்நாடு அறிவியல் இயக்க மாவட்ட தலைவர் பெள்ளி, செயலர் ராஜூ கருத்துக்களை பகிர்ந்து கொண்டனர்.

கடந்த 1980களில் அன்டார்டிகா பகுதியில் ஓசோன் படலத்தில் ஓட்டை விழுந்திருப்பதை விஞ்ஞானிகள் முதன் முதலில் கண்டறிந்தனர். இதன் வழியாக ஊடுருவி பூமிக்கு வரும் சூரிய ஒளியின் புற ஊதா கதிர்களால் மனிதர்களுக்கு தோல் புற்று நோய் உட்பட பல நோய்கள் ஏற்பட்டன. ஏர்கண்டிஷன் கருவியில் இருந்து வெளியேறும் குளேரோபுளோரோ கார்பன் தான் ஓசோன் படலத்தில் ஓட்டை விழ காரணம் என விஞ்ஞானிகள் கண்டுபிடித்தனர்.கடந்த 1984ல் மான்ட்ரீயல் நகரில் நடத்தப்பட்ட உலக சுற்றுச்சூழல் மாநாட்டில் 158 நாடுகளை சேர்ந்த பிரதிநிதிகள் பங்கேற்று குளோரா புளோரா கார்பன் வெளியேற்றத்தை கட்டுப்படுத்துவதற்குரிய நடவடிக்கைகளை மேற்கொண்டனர். சுற்றுச்சூழலுக்கு உகந்த குளிர்சாதனப் பெட்டிகள் தயாரிக்கப்பட்டதன் விளைவாக ஓசோன் ஓட்டை பெருமளவு அடைக்கப்பட்டுள்ளதாக ஆய்வுகள் கூறுகின்றன.ஓசோன் பிரச்னையில் இருந்து தப்பித்த பூமி, இன்று புவி வெப்ப பிரச்னையில் சிக்கி தவிக்கிறது. பூமி தன்னுடைய 460 கோடி ஆண்டு வரலாற்றில் இதுவரை ஐந்து முறை மிகப்பெரிய பேரழிவுகளை சந்தித்துள்ளது என விஞ்ஞானிகள் கூறுகின்றனர். தற்போது ஆறாவது முறையாக மிகப்பெரிய பேரழிவை சந்திக்க பூமி தன்னை தயார்படுத்தி கொண்டிருக்கிறது; அதற்கான அறிகுறிகள் தற்போது தெரியத் துவங்கியுள்ளன.

தற்போது பூமியிலுள்ள உயிரினங்கள் 1,000 மடங்கு வேகத்தில் அழிந்து வருகிறது; அடுத்த நூற்றாண்டில் 10 ஆயிரம் மடங்கு வேகத்தில் அழியும். ஐ. நா,. சபையின் இயற்கை பாதுகாப்பு குழு அறிக்கை படி, உலகில் உள்ள பறவை, பாலூட்டி, மெல்லுடல் வகை உயிரினங்கள், கடல் ஆமைகள் என பரவலாக உள்ள உயிரினங்களில் குறிப்பிட்ட சில வகை உயிரினங்கள் அழியும் அபாயத்தில் உள்ளதாக ஆய்வுகள் எச்சரிக்கின்றன.மேலும், 75 சதவீத உணவுத் தாவரங்கள், 25 சதவீத மீன் இனங்கள், 30 சதவீத கடல் பஞ்சுகள் தவிர ஒரு வினாடிக்கு ஒரு கால்பந்து மைதான அளவுள்ள காடுகள் உட்பட இயற்கை வளங்கள் மிக வேகமாக அழிந்து வருகின்றன. 3,000 வகையான உணவுத் தாவரங்களில் தற்போது 150 வகை மட்டுமே பயிரிடப்படுகிறது. 8 அடி அகலமுள்ள உலகின் மிகப்பெரிய பூக்கள், இரும்பு கம்பியை விட பலமுள்ள வலை பின்னும் ஒரு வகை சிலந்தி என பல கீஸ்டோன் உயிரினங்களும் அழிவை எதிர்கொண்டு வருகின்றன. இயற்கைக்கு எதிரான மனிதர்களின் செயல் தான் இந்த பேரழிவுக்கு காரணம். மனித சமுதாயம் விழித்து கொள்ளாவிட்டால் இயற்கை வளங்களோடு, மனித வளமும் மறைந்து போகும். இவ்வாறு, கருத்துகள் கூறப்பட்டன. கல்லூரி பேராசிரியை சுஜாதா நன்றி கூறினார்.

--

ஓசோனில் விழுந்த ஓட்டை மெல்ல சரியாகிறது:இந்த நூற்றாண்டின் மத்தியில் முழுவதும் மறையும்

பிரபஞ்சத்தில் இருந்து வரும் பல்வேறு ஆபத்தான ஒளிக்கற்றைகளில் இருந்து, பூமியை பாதுகாக்கும் ஓசோன் படலத்தில் ஏற்பட்ட ஓட்டையை, இயற்கை மெல்ல சரி செய்து வருகிறது. இந்த நூற்றாண்டின் மத்தியில், ஓசோன் படலத்தில் விழுந்துள்ள ஓட்டை, முழுமையாக மூடப்பட்டு விடும் என, விஞ்ஞானிகள் தெரிவித்துள்ளனர்.

பூமிக்கு பாதுகாப்பு அளித்து வரும் ஓசோன் படலத்தில் ஓட்டை விழுந்துள்ளது என்று, 1970ம் ஆண்டு கண்டறியப்பட்டது.அண்டார்டிக் கண்டத்தின் மேலே உள்ள பகுதில் இருக்கும் ஓசோன் படலத்தில் விழுந்த ஓட்டை, சிறிது சிறிதாக பெரியதாகி வருவதாக, 1980 ஆண்டு விஞ்ஞானிகள் தெரிவித்தனர்.ஓசோனில் ஏற்பட்ட ஓட்டை காரணமாக, புறஊதாக்கதிர்களால் மனிதர்களுக்கு தோலில் அழற்சி, கண்ணில் கேட்ராக்ட், தோல் புற்றுநோய் போன்றவை ஏற்படும் என்றும், தாவர வளர்ச்சி பாதிக்கப்படும் என்றும் விஞ்ஞானிகள் அச்சம் தெரிவித்தனர்.

ஓசோனை பாதிக்காத பொருட்களை பயன்படுத்துவதால், ஒவ்வொரு ஆண்டும் 10 ஜிகா டன் கார்பன் கழிவுகள் உருவாவது கட்டுப்படுத்தப்படுகிறது. இதனால், ஓசோன் படலத்தில் விழுந்த ஓட்டை பெரிதாவது தடைபட்டு, சுருங்கி வருகிறது. 1980ம் ஆண்டில் இருந்த நிலைக்கு, வரும் 2045 முதல் 2060ம் ஆண்டு காலகட்டத்தில் ஓசோன் படலத்தின் ஓட்டை அடைந்து விடும் என எதிர்பார்க்கப்படுகிறது. தென் துருவத்தில் ஏற்பட்டுள்ள ஓசோன் படலம் ஒவ்வொரு குளிர்காலத்தின் போதும் அடைவு ஏற்பட முயற்சிப்பதும், பருவநிலை மாறுபடும் போது ஓட்டை அடைபடுவதில் தடை ஏற்படுகிறது என்றும் தெரிவிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது

Keep the mind and the intellect serene and sacred, free from dirt. When thoughts and feelings are impure and agitated, you cannot be calm and happy. When the mind is polluted, so are our reactions. To keep the mind clean, you must analyse sympathetically situations involving others and their activities, and then decide on how to react to them. You should not rush to draw conclusions. Adopting the reactions of others is certainly not desirable. You must resolve on any action only after intelligent discrimination and inquiry. “Some course of action is being followed by someone; so, we shall follow that course ourselves” - this attitude is mean and demeaning, it is a sign of weakness. It is the consequence of basic ignorance. Only sheep behave in that manner.

- Vidya Vahini, Ch 16.

The end of education is character. - Baba

Disease is but deficiency or excess of three life forces,
defined by writers of scientific texts as air, fire and water.-திருக்குறள்

Baba found me at twenty three. As you can imagine, I regarded my first trip to the Avatar as a possible opportunity, among other things, to learn more about my relationship with Einstein. It may come as no surprise that throughout these and subsequent trips, leelas have been the order of the day.
Baba, the consummate "tour guide", treated my wife Marsha and me to a host of travel experiences over the course of my first visit to India. We had no desire to be anywhere but where He was, and since He went to Delhi, Madras and Hyderabad we were overjoyed to be allowed to follow Him.
In Hyderabad a most interesting incident occurred during a discourse Swami was giving in a large auditorium. It was very hot and I had just eaten lunch. As time went on, I realized to my horror that I was being overtaken by a powerful drowsiness. As I was sinking into tamas I projected a thought to the Lord: "Baba, the only thing that could keep me from falling asleep right now is if You were to mention Einstein...” I knew He could do it but didn't really expect it at all and continued my descent. Within sixty seconds, my head thrust backward as Swami's lilting pronunciation of the name "Einstein” entered my consciousness from His ongoing flow of Telugu.
I was awake then, and became riveted to the story He recounted of how a young Indian physicist during an appointment with Einstein eagerly probed for the ultimate in Western scientific wisdom. What he received from Einstein however, was, to roughly quote Swami, "Every major conclusion I’ve arrived at is contained in your Bhagavad Gita. Look there!"
My curiosity about the connection was inflamed anew! I was dying to get some insight into "why me?" As Swami's translator for the discourse was himself a nuclear physicist I approached him afterwards hoping for some kernel of insight. He had nothing personally to share, and as far as learning more from Sai he said, "I counsel patience..." I was disappointed but left knowing I had received sound advice.
Approximately one month later we found ourselves in the interview room at Prasanthi Nilayam. I was sitting on the floor just to Swami's right as He was talking to various people in the group. Seeing His footstool off to the side and recalling how frequently He is seen using one, I took the opportunity to perform the logical but minor seva of placing it in position. He accepted and I felt happy. After some time there was a lull in the give and take of conversation. No one was asking questions and Swami was silent, save for the quiet phrase "And you sir?" drawing the words out slowly. The thought came that He seemed to be addressing me though He kept saying it. I was at a complete loss for words. I was embarrassed to be addressed personally in front of the group. I definitely had something I wanted to ask and whether I was being addressed or not, it was an absolutely clear, appropriate chance to approach Baba about it. Perhap s as many as two or even three solid minutes passed. An ego based lack of confidence prevented me from simply asking, "What is my connection to Einstein, Baba?" I feel Baba gave me many chances there, but finally new dialogue began with someone also. The moment was lost and I clearly could not cut in. I was to wonder many times after that if the opportunity might not have been lost forever.
That was in 1978. More blessed interviews occurred in ensuing years and questions about more important matters were raised than about my Godfather. It was okay; I had become patient and accepted that He would reveal whatever I needed to know in its own best time.
After Professor Einstein's death in 1955, Ms. Einstein and Ms. Dukes remained patients of my father and friends of the family, remembering birthdays and attending my Bar Mitzvah at 13. My mother sometimes gave them rides around town as they did not drive.
For sometime I had had a yearning to visit Einstein's home to see his study. In 1983 my sister planned to get married in Princeton and this looked like a good opportunity. My father called Ms. Einstein to arrange a visit and on a cold December day he, my stepmother and I spent about two hours chatting with this completely unassuming artist in the parlour of the house where she had lived for close to fifty years. She told us of her time spent studying art at a convent in Italy and showed us a beautiful little wax sculpture of Saint Francis, for whom she had a special affection.
Somewhat paralleling that 1978 interview with Swami, I had been feeling some reserve during this conversation about requesting to see the Professor's study. This woman was elderly and appeared frail and I didn't want to trouble her by an extra trip upstairs. Clearly it was getting time to go. I had to act quickly or the chance would be lost. Thinking of Swami I made my request and she responded with an enthusiastic "Sure!!" and charged up the stairs to the room in question. On the way we passed her father's bedroom which was very plainly furnished, like a monastic cell. Then we were in the study. Bookshelves lined the walls, and a wide window faced a deep garden in the back of the house. To the left of this picture-window were two portraits, one of a bearded Jewish sage, the other of Mahatma Gandhi. One shelf contained all of the original issues of "Der Annalen der Physik" (Annual of Physics), the journal in which both Theories of Relativity were first published. Then, just as I noticed a large easy chair and foot-stool, Ms. Einstein "commanded" me to sit in it. How could I refuse? I smiled broadly to myself, remembering Swami's footstool and feeling His subtle presence in what for me was a meaningful coincidence. We took pictures, looked around a bit more and left. Later, I remembered Swami had said Einstein had a copy of the Bhagavad Gita and wished I'd looked for it.
As we left, my father recalled the time, years before, when he'd brought his brother-in-law Elliott Montroll over for what Einstein's formidable secretary had said would only be a three minute appointment. My uncle, who was to be later named to the Einstein Chair of Physics at the university of Rochester, would have been overjoyed just to have shaken hands, but Einstein offered them lunch. They declined. My uncle ended up spending half an hour at Einstein's dining room table, talking and laughing with him about physics, while my father beamed with joy, understanding not one word.
My father, only on being asked recently, recounted to me how every three or four months for some years he would receive a call from Einstein's secretary asking him if he might be able to spare a few minutes, as the Professor wished to talk. "Somehow", especially in the early years of his practice, he always found time to go over, for discussions involving the non scientific topics his host was interested in, such as philosophy, and world and national events.
Always straightforward and humble in human dealings, Einstein came to accept and use the bewildering fame that was thrust upon him in the only way that made sense to him—service to humanity. He worked tirelessly throughout his life promoting peace, freedom, and respect for all people.
Dad recalled how Einstein's efforts during the 1930's and World War Two enabled a certain number of Jews to escape Nazi persecution. The Professor also spent many years working for the United Jewish Appeal in establishing the state of Israel and accepted my father's invitation to co chair the local fundraising campaign with him in Princeton for several years.
My father considers himself a rational scientific and appropriately skeptical man, who, while loving his religion and believing in God, puts great stock in what can be touched, seen, and measured.
(to be continued...)

Dear friends,

The Thought For The Day as I know, is usually a thought provoking statement of a few lines.

But apparently this thread can be more aptly named as The Essay For The Day!

It is said that "Brevity is the soul of wit!"

The longest write-up is NOT necessarily the best write-up!

Everybody is busy with various tasks.

Let us make our writings shorter, crisper and more inviting (to be read)!

Hope you will agree with me!

with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.

எடையும் எதிர் பார்க்காமல் சேவை செய்தால் ,நீங்கள் என்னுடன் இருப்பீர்கள் - சாய் பாபா

The center of every home must be the shrine room; the fragrance of flower and incense emanating from there must pervade the home and purify it. The mother must set an example in making the shrine, the heart of the household. She must persuade the children by example and percept to revere elders and to spend some time both in the morning and evening for prayers, and for silent meditation. The shrine room has to be kept clean and consecrated. Special festival days marked out in each religion, should be observed, so that the significance will impress the young minds in the home. Sathya Sai Baba

Incompatibility among spouses is O.Kay..

if he has income and she is pattable :)!

Visalakshi Ramani

ma brahmacharini used to speak like that,hope she is resting in peace.nowa-days/nights, she has income and he is pattable.and in some cases he/she have income and pat each other.and in some cases,he/she have income and dont pat each other.and in some cases he/she dont have income but pat each other.and in some cases he/she dont have income ,but go pat others.......:) and in some cases he/she have income ad go pat others...:)

It is an arduous process for people to become aware of the One that is their core. People are of the essence of food (Annam). The gross body is the product of the food consumed. But within everyone there is a subtler force, an inner vibration named Vital Air (Prana). The mind (Manas) within is subtler still, and deeper and subtler than the mind is the intellect (Vijnana). Beyond the intellect, people have in them the subtlest sheath of spiritual bliss (Ananda). When people delve into this region of spiritual bliss, they can experience the reality, the Brahman (Divinity). That Divine awareness is indeed the most desirable.

- Sutra Vahini, Ch 3, "Bliss is the Core of five vital sheaths"

Love is the solvent for the hardest of the hearts. - Baba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back