• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thought of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

dear all,

i am starting this thread just to post any thought or saying or quote...whether good, bad or ugly..from any source..
we can learn from anything even from our own mistakes or from mistakes from others...

You experience joy and misery through the ear. Therefore, avoiding the cruel arrows of harsh words, one should use words that are sweet, pleasant and soft. With that softness, add the sweetness of truth. To make the words soft, if falsehood is added, it would only clear the way for some more misery. Hence, a spiritual aspirant should use very soft, sweet, true and pleasant words. The mind of such an aspirant is Mathura, their heart is Dwaraka and their body is Kashi. Such persons can be recognized by their good qualities themselves.
- Divine Discourse, Prema Vahini.

All spiritual practices are of no avail, if the heart is not pure. Your cravings and attachments will not disappear even if you are immersed in many spiritual practices so long as the heart is full of the illusion of egoism. Remember that agitations of the mind cannot exist in the same heart filled with love. Can light and darkness ever co-exist at the same place and the same time? Hence, you must remove the illusion of egoism from your heart. To get rid of the feeling of "I" and "mine", you must worship the Lord. You must become an aspirant without likes and dislikes.
-Divine Discourse, Prema Vahini

All spiritual practices are of no avail, if the heart is not pure. Your cravings and attachments will not disappear even if you are immersed in many spiritual practices so long as the heart is full of the illusion of egoism. Remember that agitations of the mind cannot exist in the same heart filled with love. Can light and darkness ever co-exist at the same place and the same time? Hence, you must remove the illusion of egoism from your heart. To get rid of the feeling of "I" and "mine", you must worship the Lord. You must become an aspirant without likes and dislikes.

Spiritual practices are the karma marga, whose aim is to give resolve to the mind... so that the agitations of the mind are gradually mellowed down... they should not be truned down citing any means...

With due respect to your sentiments... even when one is involved in bhakti or mind control practices, karmic (as you term it 'spiritual practices') duties have to be done... no one is an exception...

Regards,

sapthajihva,

no one is an exception...

by personal example bhagavan sathya sai baba has earned his status as a spiritual leader.he is an exception.

nachi naga.

by personal example bhagavan sathya sai baba has earned his status as a spiritual leader.he is an exception.
I dont want to drag any names... and not all of us are elevated individuals... it is only fair that we dont neglect our duties.

Btw, Purushottama Rama is the best example for us to lead our lives...

Regards,

Sri Nachi Naga ji,

As Sri Sapthajiha ji has stated , in my opinion too, no samsaari who really mean to be a samsaari is no exception to wimp out of his domestic duties for entirely dedicating one self towards spiritual practices. Its not possible to practice spirituality and Godly mentality 100%. The heart and the mind will be stuggling for sure. After all "blood is thicker than water".

re

Sri Nachi Naga ji,

As Sri Sapthajiha ji has stated , in my opinion too, no samsaari who really mean to be a samsaari is no exception to wimp out of his domestic duties for entirely dedicating one self towards spiritual practices. Its not possible to practice spirituality and Godly mentality 100%. The heart and the mind will be stuggling for sure. After all "blood is thicker than water".

ravi saar,

samsaari and samsaaram are like minsaaram.

the power that a samsaari generates a sanyasi can never do itthat is why adi shankara requested for time during his debate,to know & experiance a life of samsaari.there is nothing Indians have not acheived in the past nor do Indians rest of past laurels to move on with life today.

staying in a samsaaram and living the life of a grahastha,is much more of a sadhana as well a siddha.by the time one is ready for vanaprashtha,one becomes seasoned and weathered,to bloom for moksham.our religion teaches all this and more.so do other religions of the world.that is why lord krishna says or rather sanjaya conveys to dhritashtraran thru remote viewing,the upadesham arjuna gets from the lord.just observe the sheer divinity of the scene.

lord rama was a eka pathni vratar,just to be compassionate,even a off the cuff remark by a dhobhi about his wife sita devi,the lord made her walk thru a fire ritual,to show the piety of amma sita devi.and ravana had to do his role to absolve himself from the curse,and the lord slayed him.this vesham is a lesson for humans in bhu-lokam.every yuga from our religion shows avataara purusha and purush for bhu-lokam.

.......Its not possible to practice spirituality and Godly mentality 100%. The heart and the mind will be stuggling for sure. After all "blood is thicker than water".
Hello Shri Ravi, just to clarify:

By karmic acts, I did not mean mundane duties of household affairs and those acts which we do out of desire... they are those that have to be done by every individual whether he is involved or not...

The original position in this thread was that such practices may be done with, if one has purity of heart and has controlled one's ego... IMO, both are himalayan tasks and without such karmic duties, we cannot attain that stage...

Such karmic acts are done - a) to wash away our balance karma, b) to not accumulate future karma, & c) to refine our mind and resolve in the right direction, i.e., of bhagavat realisation.

So karmic duties always leads to spirituality...

Best wishes,

re

I dont want to drag any names... and not all of us are elevated individuals... it is only fair that we dont neglect our duties.

Btw, Purushottama Rama is the best example for us to lead our lives...

Regards,

another one bites the dust,eh..

in order to uplift ordinary mortals to higher standards,avataara purushas descend for humanity worldover.

lord forbid me from going to forest as well a ravana abducting my beautiful wife :),for i dont have a lakshmana as my younger brother nor a hanuman as my dhoothan...anytime lord krishna is ishta avataara poorna swaroopam for me :) hare rama krishna :)

ravi saar,

samsaari and samsaaram are like minsaaram.

the power that a samsaari generates a sanyasi can never do itthat is why adi shankara requested for time during his debate,to know & experiance a life of samsaari.there is nothing Indians have not acheived in the past nor do Indians rest of past laurels to move on with life today.

staying in a samsaaram and living the life of a grahastha,is much more of a sadhana as well a siddha.by the time one is ready for vanaprashtha,one becomes seasoned and weathered,to bloom for moksham.our religion teaches all this and more.so do other religions of the world.that is why lord krishna says or rather sanjaya conveys to dhritashtraran thru remote viewing,the upadesham arjuna gets from the lord.just observe the sheer divinity of the scene.

lord rama was a eka pathni vratar,just to be compassionate,even a off the cuff remark by a dhobhi about his wife sita devi,the lord made her walk thru a fire ritual,to show the piety of amma sita devi.and ravana had to do his role to absolve himself from the curse,and the lord slayed him.this vesham is a lesson for humans in bhu-lokam.every yuga from our religion shows avataara purusha and purush for bhu-lokam.

Amaam saar amaam, beshaaa chonnel..

I believe 100% on the same lines...

The epic stories are God creation for a message to man kind and every yuga is destined to have avataara purusha befitting to the yuga and purush for bhu-lokam.......Wel said nachi naga avargale....well said

another one bites the dust,eh..
What is that supposed to mean???

I refrain from making any comments on individuals as that is not what I intend to convey in this thread...

Hope you get the message?

Regards,

sapthajihva saar,

every message is for individuals and many individuals collectively as communities,as collective communities a village,as collective village a town and so on like nations as one earth and its inhabitants...

i know swami is not in everybodys heart,that itself is his leela :)

that which resides universally hidden in all as self,realise the self,you are already the divine sapthajihva,a sath chit ananda vigrah swaroopam

Dear all,

aiyoo a good thought for the day has become an arguement already....
Dear God ...please help me...

Ok next thought for the day...click on this..

YouTube - Barney - I Love You

You know what...sometimes i think we should change the name of this forum to Kurushetra.com

Last edited:
aiyoo a good thought for the day has become an arguement already....
You know what...sometimes i think we should change the name of this forum to Kurushetra.com
This is just an exchange of thoughts in a volatile manner... :)... no arguments at all!.

Our mind itself is a kurukshetra... what then, to say of this forum...

A great teacher is one who has the knowledge of the Self imprinted in his/her heart. The individual who can welcome this truth and is eager to know it alone deserves to be a pupil. The seed must have the life principle latent in it. The field must be ploughed and made fit for sowing. If both these conditions are fulfilled, the spiritual harvest will be bountiful.
-Divine Discourse, Vidya Vahini

You repeat the name of the Lord, sing bhajans, and perform meditation to earn single-mindedness, is it not? Once this single mindedness has been earned, its inner significance will be revealed to you and effort will become unnecessary. Those eager to become aspirants, to attain salvation, should not yield to arguments and counter-arguments. You should not be enticed by the wiles of bad feelings! You should see your own faults and not repeat them. You should guard and protect the one-pointedness, with your eyes fixed on the goal, and dismiss as trash whatever difficulties, defeats and disturbances you may encounter on your path.
-Divine Discourse, Prema Vahini.

dear all,
click on the link below and read a really fantastic Q & A about reincarnation with Ramana Maharishi

Is reincarnation true?

Sri
Ramana
Maharshi: Reincarnation exists only so long as there
is
ignorance. There is really no reincarnation at all, either now
or
before. Nor will there be any hereafter. This is the truth. Read more

Sai Baba of India-Reincarnation
Latest Sai Baba News, Photos, Videos, Darshan, Bhajans ashram info, teachings,balvikas Sai Baba centres, sai baba organization, puttaparthi ashram events info, wallpapers,shirdi sai baba - Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba
It (the self) is not born, and It does not die; nor is it ever that this One having been nonexistent becomes existent again. This One is birthless, eternal, undecaying, ancient; It is not killed when the body is killed. - Gita Ch. 2 Verse 20

Last edited:
Reincarnation
From The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi

Question: Is reincarnation true?
Sri Ramana Maharshi: Reincarnation exists only so long as there is ignorance. There is really no reincarnation at all, either now or before. Nor will there be any hereafter. This is the truth.

Sri Ramana Maharshi taught that all such theories are based on the false assumption that the individual self or soul is real; once this illusion is seen through, the whole superstructure of after-life theories collapses. From the standpoint of the Self, there is no birth or death, no heaven or hell, and no reincarnation.
Question: Can a yogi know his past lives?
Maharshi: Do you know the present life that you wish to know the past? Find the present, then the rest will follow. Even with our present limited knowledge, you suffer so much. Why should you burden yourself with more knowledge? Is it to suffer more?
When seen through the sight of the supreme space of Self, the illusion of taking birth in this mirage-like false world is found to be nothing but the egotistical ignorance of identifying a body as "I". Among those whose minds are possessed with forgetfulness of Self, those who are born will die and those who die will be born again. But know that those whose minds are dead, having known the glorious Supreme Reality, will remain only there in that elevated state of reality, devoid of both birth and death. Forgetting Self, mistaking the body for Self, taking innumerable births, and at last knowing Self and being Self is just like waking from a dream of wandering all over the world.
Question: How long does it take a man to be reborn after death? Is it immediately after death or some time later?
Maharshi: You do not know what you were before birth, yet you want to know what you will be after death. Do you know what you are now?
Birth and rebirth pertain to the body. You are identifying the Self with the body. It is a wrong identification. You believe that the body has been born and will die, and confound the phenomena relating to the body with the Self. Know your real being and these questions will not arise.
Births and rebirths are mentioned only to make you investigate the question and find out that there are neither births nor rebirths. They relate to the body and not to the Self. Know the Self and don’t be perturbed by doubts.
Question: Do not one’s actions affect the person in later births?
Maharshi: Are you born now? Why do you think of other births? The fact is that there is neither birth nor death. Let him who is born think of death and palliatives for it.
Question: What happens to a person after death?
Maharshi: Engage yourself in the living present. The future will take care of itself. Do not worry about the future. The state before creation and the process of creation are dealt with in the scriptures in order that you may know the present. Because you say you are born, therefore they say, yes, and add that God created you.
But do you see God or anything else in your sleep? If God is real, why does he not shine forth in your sleep also? You always are, you are the same now as you were in sleep. You are not different from that one in sleep. But why should there be differences in the feelings or experiences of the two states?
Did you ask, while asleep, questions regarding your birth? Did you then ask ‘Where do I go after death?’ Why think of all these questions now in the waking state? Let what is born think of its birth and the remedy, its cause and ultimate results.
Question: What becomes of the Jiva (Individual soul) after death?
Maharshi: The question is not appropriate for a Jiva now living. A dead Jiva may ask me, if he wishes to. In the meantime let the embodied Jiva solve its present problem and find who he is. Then there will be an end to such doubts.
Question: Is the Buddhist view, that there is no continuous entity answering to the ideas of the individual soul, correct or not? Is this consistent with the Hindu notion of a reincarnating ego? Is the soul a continuous entity which reincarnates again and again, according to the Hindu doctrine, or is it a mere mass of mental tendencies- samskaras?
Maharshi: The real Self is continuous and unaffected. The reincarnating ego belongs to the lower plane, namely, thought. It is transcended by Self-realisation.
Reincarnations are due to a spurious offshoot. Therefore they are denied by the Buddhists. The present state of ignorance is due to the identification of consciousness (chit) with the insentient (jada) body.
Question: Do not we go to heaven (svarga) as the result of our actions?
Maharshi: That is as true as the present existence. But if we enquire who we are and discover the Self, what need is there to think of heaven?

TOP < To top of this page

Question: Should I not try to escape rebirth?
Maharshi: Yes. Find out who is born and who now has the trouble of existence. When you are asleep do you think of rebirths or even the present existence? So find out from where the present problem arises and in that place you will find the solution. You will discover that there is no birth, no present trouble or unhappiness. The Self is all and all is bliss. Even now we are free from rebirth so why fret over the misery of it?
Ouestion: Is there rebirth?
Maharshi: Do you know what birth is?
Questioner: Oh yes, I know that I exist now, but I want to know if I’ll exist in the future.
Maharshi: Past!…Present!… Future!….
Questioner: Yes, today is the result of yesterday, the past, and tomorrow. The future, will be the result of today, the present. Am I right?
Maharshi: There is neither past nor future. There is only the present. Yesterday was the present to you when you experienced it, and tomorrow will be also the present when you experience it. Therefore, experience takes place only in the present, and beyond experience nothing exists.
Question: Are the past and future mere imagination?
Maharshi: Yes, even the present is mere imagination, for the sense of time is purely mental. Space is similarly mental. Therefore birth and rebirth, which take place in time and space, cannot be other than imagination.
Question: What is the cause of tanha, the thirst for life and the thirst for rebirth?
Maharshi: Real rebirth is dying from the ego into the spirit. This is the significance of the crucifixion of Jesus. Whenever identification with the body exists, a body is always available, whether this or any other one, till the body-sense disappears by merging into the source – the spirit, or Self. The stone which is projected upwards remains in constant motion till it returns to its source, the earth, and rests. Headache continues to give trouble, till the pre-headache state is regained.
Thirst for life is inherent in the very nature of life, which is absolute existence – sat. Although indestructible by nature, by false identification with its destructible instrument, the body consciousness imbibes a false apprehension of its destructibility. Because of that false identification it tries to perpetuate the body, and that results in a succession of rebirths. But however long these bodies may last, they eventually come to an end and yield to the Self, which alone eternally exists.
Questioner: Yes, "Give up thy life if thou wouldst live", says the Voice of the Silence of H.P.Blavatsky.
Maharshi: Give up the false identification and remember, the body cannot exist without the Self, whereas the Self can exist without the body. In fact it is always without it.
Questioner: A doubt has just now arisen in a friend of mine’s mind. She has just heard that a human being may take an animal birth in some other life, which is contrary to what Theosophy has taught her.
Maharshi: Let him who takes birth ask this question. Find out first who it is that is born, and whether there is actual birth and death. You will find that birth pertains to the ego, which is an illusion of the mind.
Question: Is it possible for a man to be reborn as a lower animal?
Maharshi: Yes. It is possible, as illustrated by Jada Bharata – the scriptural anecdote of a royal sage having been reborn as a deer.
Question: Is the individual capable of spiritual progress in an animal body?
Maharshi: Not impossible, though it is exceedingly rare. It is not true that birth as a man is necessarily the highest, and that one must attain realisation only from being a man. Even an animal can attain Self-realisation.
Question: Theosophy speaks of fifty to 10,000 year intervals between death and rebirth. Why is this so?
Maharshi: There is no relation between the standard of measurements of one state of consciousness and another. All such measurements are hypothetical. It is true that some individuals take more time and some less. But it must be distinctly understood that it is no soul which comes and goes, but only the thinking mind of the individual, which makes it appear to do so. On whatever plane the mind happens to act, it creates a body for itself; in the physical world a physical body and in the dream world a dream body which becomes wet with dream rain and sick with dream disease.
After the death of the physical body, the mind remains inactive for some time, as in dreamless sleep when it remains worldless and therefore bodyless. But soon it becomes active again in a new world and a new body – the astral – till it assumes another body in what is called a ‘rebirth’. But the jnani, the Self-realised man, whose mind has already ceased to act, remains unaffected by death. The mind of the jnani has ceased to exist; it has dropped never to rise again to cause births and deaths. The chain of illusions has snapped forever for him.
It should now be clear that there is neither real birth, nor real death. It is the mind which creates and maintains the illusion of reality in this process, till it is destroyed by Self-realisation.

TOP < To top of this page

Question: Does not death dissolve the individuality of a person, so that there can be no rebirth, just as the rivers discharged into the ocean lose their individualities?
Maharshi: But when the waters evaporate and return as rain on the hills, they once more flow in the form of rivers and fall into the ocean. So also the individualities during sleep lose their separateness and yet return as individuals according to their samskaras, or past tendencies. It is the same after death – the individuality of the person with samskaras is not lost.
Question: How can that be?
Maharshi: See how a tree whose branches have been cut grows again. So long as the roots of the tree remain unimpaired, the tree will continue to grow. Similarly, the samskaras (past tendencies) which have merely sunk in the Heart on death, but have not perished for that reason, occasion rebirth at the right time. That is how Jivas (individual souls) are reborn.
Question: How could the innumerable Jivas and the wide universe which they produce sprout up from such subtle samskaras sunk in the Heart?
Maharshi: Just as the big banyan tree sprouts from a tiny seed, so do the Jivas and the whole universe with name and form sprout up from the subtle samskaras.
Question: How does the Jiva (individual soul) transfer from one body to another?
Maharshi: When one begins to die, hard breathing sets in; that means that one has become unconscious of the dying body. The mind at once takes hold of another body, and it swings to and fro between the two, until attachment is fully transferred to the new body. Meanwhile there are occasional violent breaths, and that means that the mind swings back to the dying body. The transitional state of the mind is somewhat like a dream.
Question: How long is the interval between one’s death and reincarnation?
Maharshi: It may be long or short. But a jnani (Self-realised man) does not undergo any such changes; he merges into the universal being.
Some say that those who after death pass into the path of light are not reborn, whereas those who after death take the path of darkness are reborn after they have enjoyed the fruits of karma in their subtle bodies.
Some say that if one’s merits and demerits are equal, they are directly reborn here. Merits outweighing demerits, the subtle bodies go to heaven and are then reborn here; demerits outweighing merits, they go to hells and are afterwards reborn here.
A Yogabrashta (one who has slipped from the path of yoga) is said to fare in the same manner. All these are described in the sastras (scriptures). But in fact, there is neither birth nor death. One remains only as what one really is. This is the only truth.
Question: I find this very confusing. Are both births and rebirths ultimately unreal?
Maharshi: If there is birth there must be not only one rebirth but a whole succession of births. Why and how did you get this birth? For the same reason and in the same manner you must have succeeding births. But if you ask who has the birth and whether birth and death are for you or for somebody distinct from you, then you realise the truth and the truth burns up all karmas and frees you from all births. The books graphically describe how all would take countless lives to exhaust, is burnt up by one little spark of jnana (spiritual knowledge), just as a mountain of gunpowder will be blown up by a single spark of fire. It is the ego that is the cause of all the world and of the countless sciences whose researches are so great as to baffle description, and if the ego is dissolved by enquiry all this immediately crumbles and the reality or Self alone remains.
Question: Do you mean to say that I was never even born?
Maharshi: Yes, you are now thinking that you are the body and therefore confuse yourself with its birth and death. But you are not the body and you have no birth and death.
Question: So you do not uphold the theory of rebirth?
Maharshi: No. On the other hand I want to remove your confusion that you will be reborn. It is you who think that you will be reborn.
See for whom the question arises. Unless the questioner is found, such questions can never finally be answered.

By Swami Vivekananda
The foremost disciple of Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansa

The Real and the Apparent Man
(Quotation)

Birth and death are in nature, not in you. Yet the ignorant are deluded; just as we under delusion think that the sun is moving and not the earth, in exactly the same way we think that we are dying, and not nature. These are all, therefore, hallucinations. Just as it is a hallucination when we think that the fields are moving and not the railway train, exactly in the same manner is the hallucination of birth and death. When men are in a certain frame of mind, they see this very existence as the earth, as the sun, the moon, the stars; and all those who are in the same state of mind see the same things.

Swami Vivekananda wrote about

The natural habits of a new-born soul; since they were not obtained in this present life, they must have come down from past lives.

We cannot deny that bodies acquire certain tendencies from heredity, but those tendencies only mean the physical configuration, through which a peculiar mind alone can act in a peculiar way. There are other tendencies peculiar to a soul caused by its past actions. And a soul with a certain tendency would by the laws of affinity take birth in a body, which is the fittest instrument for the display of that tendency. This is in accord with science, for science wants to explain everything by habit, and habit is got through repetitions. So repetitions are necessary to explain the natural habits of a new-born soul. And since they were not obtained in this present life, they must have come down from past lives.

renu,

the only avataar who has boldly told all of us in 1940,about reincarnation is bhagavan sathya sai baba,that he is shirdi sai baba born again in a different body,the self being the same,as the self is never born nor does it have a death.this is the same self of lord shiva goddess parvathi,lord vishnu goddess maha lakshmi,lord brahma goddess saraswathy,gauthama buddha,guru nanak,mahaveera,yahway,lord jesus christ,allah,zoroaster,.....................and so on.the power to manifest simultaneously,the self transmigrates,from a body to body,while it is ever effulgent.when realisation takes place,a non-dual,existence exists.

If we “meet the right people” in the 12th House (in other words if the right planets are here, and the right planetary influences) we can be lucky enough to actually realize this while we are living here; we will actually realize that replacing one temporary illusion with another is only marginally an improvement at best. If we have very good karma and are very fortunate, the 12th House is actually the only truly “good house” in the horoscope – because if we are lucky we can, as a result of our stay here, meet a guide who can help us TRULY “delete” our illusions about the manifest world, and PERMANENTLY replace those illusions with a reality which is infinitely better, more interesting, more exiting – and full of pleasure.
This is why the same 12th House that is responsible for daydreams, drugs, and sex is also the house from which the purest saints of the highest order of enlightenment emerge----vic di cara

Nature is resplendent with many colors. When you wear blue colored glasses you only see the color you have worn, isn't it? If the world appears to you as filled with differences, it is entirely due to your fault. If all appear as one, that too, is only due to your love. For both of these, the feeling in you is the cause. It is only because one has faults within oneself, one sees the world as faulty. The Lord always looks for goodness, not for faults and sins. He only sees the righteousness in our actions! Develop goodness and righteousness. Live and act in joy and love. These two are sufficient to attain salvation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back