• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

the election results ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
sesh, vivekam,

i hope i can atleast explain where i am coming from. perhaps it will give you an appreciation of the development of my thought process. whether you agree with it or not, is immaterial.

to start off, i agree with your analysis of the issues. these are blatantly open for anyone to see. where i part, is the method of resolution.

re ayodhya temple: it is now no longer a religious issue. i do not know if it ever was. once something is usurped into the realm of politics, there is no peaceful resolution.

if one group builds the temple, it is an open target for another group (need not necessarily be muslims here, and that is a key point) to demolish it. we are starting a never ending source of violence and a perpetual festering sore in our psyche.

re happy's request for clarification: i simply do not know the answer. perhaps there is no answer. till such time comes, when we in india, become a overall irreligious community, where one's religion is recognized but not a source of division, it is best to let those sleeping dogs lie. status quo for the foreseeable future. no temple. no mosque.

i abhor instigated, political or religious, violence. for in the end, it consumes those who started it. what i find disturbing, is this exhortion to violence, by some of us here, in the name of reclaiming 'hindu india' or asserting our long lost rights.

i look upon history as a lesson of the past. those who do not learn from the past mistakes, are bound to repeat them.

one example: the concept of hindu unity. how can there be unity, when we are divided into castes? what about 25% who are outside of the caste hierarchy? i do not believe that these divisions are the creations of our past conquerors. these are divisions from within, and these division make a mockery of any call to 'hindu unity'.

perhaps, we as tamil brahmins can set an example. eschew our aloofness from the tamil society, and work hard to ingriate ourselves into the tamil mainstream. this topic can be separate thread by itself, and so i shall leave it just with this statement.

re higher birthrate of the muslims. it is a free country. the 1 child policy adopted by china, will not simply work in india. those are short term solutions, with disastrous long term effects, as china is coming to realize it.

let us look at this issue from another angle. if you tell the muslim to stop having large families, he comes to realize this as a potent force against you. the more he is deprived of upward mobility and nurtures a sense of resentment, the more kids he will have, just to spite. he has nothing to lose.

the other alternative ofcourse, is for brahmins and other hindu folks, to return to having large families like their grandfathers. i do not know if there will be any takers to this offer.

so vivekam, sesh, you see, what i have done, is to step through the consequences, in my own limited manner, and come to some conclusions. i try to be as dispassionate about the results. i might not necessarily even like them. but i find myself unable to deny the process of logical thought.

sesh, i do not think i am of the 'victimised mentality'. in fact i do not wish to label anyone, nor wish to be labeled.

sesh, i bring up historical precedence, only because there is lessons for us. just imagine, if prithviraj teamed up with jayachandra to ward of mohammed gazni? have we learned anything from that single incident?

we berate the british. but i think, as hindus, we were relieved they came. to replace the muslims. barring 1857, no one thought of presenting a united front against the white folks. even the indian national congress was a creation of white men.

we now have a framework of governance in india. with laws. sometimes they are flouted, but overall there is this respect for the law and its enforcement. we have peaceful transfer of power. i think it is good for india, if thinking folks, do their best, to strenghten these institution through the prescribed processes.

one other thing. the cream of muslim society opted for pakistan in 1947. the muslims, in essence have no leadership or role models (barring hindi movies). if we have so much fears that they are being pampered, we should see the results in our daily life - by the proliferation of engineers, doctors, executives and administrators.

i may be wrong, but i think, in these critical areas of influences, the muslims are way smaller than what their numbers would suggest. it is also interesting to remember, that in their communal psyche, they remember that they once ruled hindustan. and did their best, to get the reins of power handed back to them, when the british left.

i do not want to appear apologetic or excuse prone here. i think what i am stating is immediate factual history. the net result of any history lesson, is that it is a sum of accumulated wrongs. it is a heavy baggage. a furtherance of thought along those lines, leads to a perpetual sense of grievance, alienation and aggression.

vivek, sesh, all i am trying to do, is for us tamil brahmins, not to fall into this trap. let us evoke the best of our tradition, work towards integrating ourselves back into the tamil society. consider ourselves tamils first and then brahmins. it will be for the good of our children.

more as we progress.

thank you.

Last edited:
myth : mosque destruction increased jihadi terrorism

sir , where were u when , in 1985-1990 , 400,000 kashmiri pandits were terrorised and finally driven out of their homes and still living as refugess in their own homeland .. where were ur secukoolars ? have u followed the rationale of that genocidal act , obviously it doesnt come up ! there is not one comment abt these 400,000 living testimonials of atrocity , while libraries are written abt a mosque or gujarat riots

http://www.factusa.org/totalexhibit/exhibition.asp

http://www.factusa.org/

http://hinduholocaust.com/HinduHolocaustMuseum.htm

myth : The matter (of establishing the veracity of the temple) is sub-judice.

sir , the matter of establishing the truth is purely dependent on looking at the history and archeological finds ... accepting the truth may be sub-judice , even if the supreme court rejects the true findings , it doesnt in anyway take credibility away from wht is the truth

myth : was it the actual ayodhya ?

that question doesnt come at all , it is abt the fact that there was a temple that ws unfairly destroyed ...period , people who talk so casually abt such instituions as temples wuld not do so if it were their homes that were unfairly destroyed , it is only a temple .... leave it ..... rt?

myth : ram janma bhoomi issue did not exist during gandhi' s time ..

sir ji ..... wake up .. ...

go read up more ...

http://voiceofdharma.org/books.html

http://arunshourie.voiceofdharma.com/articles/19901025.htm

http://arunshourie.voiceofdharma.com/hindutva.htm

http://arunshourie.voiceofdharma.com/index.htm

myth : gandhiji wuld have had a different opinion today

if he can be the same sensible person when he gave that opinion , he wuld not change his opinion .. because according to the record of muslims historians these structures symbolise a slavery of the hindus and by the actions of violence against hindus since independence , do u think that attitude has changed , only the places of violence seem to be changing ....

myth : i am raising this temple issue as a primary cause ...

gimme a brk , pls go back and read the post that started this thread and the subsequent folow-up to that ...
the discussion abt temple came when hh1972 talked inaccurately abt bringing modi to justice and building a mosque ... r u even following the SIT's report on teesta and wht happened in gujarat ? as 4 the mosque , ya vacate ur house , be a magnanimous secular and let them do it there ... how easy it is for people to comment on something that deosnt seem close to them , totally unmindfull of how others feel abt their temple and stuff being unfairly destroyed ....

http://www.sandeepweb.com/2009/04/14/teesta-it-hit-your-face/

http://www.sandeepweb.com/2009/04/22/my-op-ed-a-lie-split-wide-open/

http://www.haindavakeralam.com/HKPage.aspx?PageID=8574&SKIN=B

http://rajeev2004.blogspot.com/2009/04/teesta-it-hit-your-face-sandeep.html

myth : the british came and modernised india

have u even read macaulay 's statement in the british parliament ?
or have u read wht robert clive had to say abt murshidabad after the battle of plassey there?
have u ever cared to read abt development in india before the muslims and british ?

http://indianrealist.wordpress.com/2009/02/25/1096/

http://iish.org/

http://www.hinduwisdom.info/page_maintenance.php

finally , the only person who can receive previleges is the economically backward person ..and that too only in terms of access to better facilities and healthcare , give them better than the best , no probs ,,,,no overlooking bad grades and spl promotions pls ... dont confuse the status of handicaps here ... they are spl in any society ..

Last edited:
Seshji,

The matter (of establishing the veracity of the temple) is sub-judice.

If the decision of the SC is in favour of the Hindus, How would you then look at it ? Would it be a decision of 'bunch of people' ? What if the decision is adverse ?

Whatever be it, I am certain that the victor will hail the verdict as victory of justice and the vanquished will indulge in pillory.

Please dont get me wrong. I am as devoted to Lord Ram as anyone else but i am of the view that we neednt be so pedantic about the location of the temple. Let us build a grand temple at Ayodhya at some other place.

There is some credence to the theory of the P-Secs (pseudo-seculars) that the razing down of the Mosque was the immediate flashpoint for Jihadi terrorism. I dont believe that if the Mosque stood where it was, India would have been peaceful. Nevertheless, what has happened has happened and it is time for all of us to put the past behind.

Ram Mandir was a good vehicle for the BJP to come to national mainstream and it struck a chord with people and found resonance for a while. If you do a dispassionate analysis of the cause of BJP's defeat, it is to do with the fact that people dont think of it as necessarily a better alternative to Congress.

Be that as it may be, I think it is a good opportunity for India to show to the world that Muslims of India dont need godfathers from the Islamic world.

It is shameful that a country that is bursting at the seams in terms of population and 800 million surviving on less than Rs.20 per day should engage itself with matters concerning alteration of history.

A grand temple for Lord Ram built on the precincts of where the babri stood earlier would make no difference to the lives of millions which includes Hindus.

The way i see this, a great opportunity to give an inch (of right) and take a mile. (of credibility and goodwill)
shri hari

so then, why are the records not examined to enable a speedy settlement? if we want to brush everything under the carpet, then even i can charge my local grocer of slander on a pretense... so you see, saying that it is only a judicial issue only shows that we need not worry about it... how convenient!

not only babri masjid, all mosques standing on destructed temples are a remnant of slavery, torture and barbarism... do you think that but for babri, no one knew the history of moslem invasion?

bjp capitalised on it, but why not? tell me one valid reason why it should not be so... again, bjp lost because all the 'secular' media/parties have always been portraying the party as an aggressive/regressive and a deterrent to growth... the party had compromised ideals for power and it broke the view that bjp was a committed party... modi is caricatured as a monster by majority of the media... you see, it is a combination of factors that has edged congress actually... the dynasty wheels have also started churning...

the root of the muslim psyche is centered around their mullahs/holy men... and if you think that only thrishul carrying sadhus are violent, then you need to rethink... these mullahs spew venom much more effectively without any weapons...

why should one compromise? why should we not reconstruct, not only the babri, but all such temples which were destroyed? why do we need to prove to the world that we are accommodating by acceding our rights?

can you ask of the muslim that he should come forward to help rebuild our destroyed temples? would that not be a great act of tolerance and genuine approach to peace?

why is that every secular or peace loving person asks me to yield?

now, your comparison between living conditions and construction of temples is not valid here... but even then i can take that line of reasoning and say that a) it restores pride b) boosts morale c) more tolerance towards the muslim community due to the fact that they recognize our culture

dont you think that such an ambience would pave way for a more constructive society? with no animosity towards each others' religion... now you say that we can do this by acceding - my dear sir, i say that 'acceding' is what we have been doing for aeons; any more would only push the button... it is time for the others to reciprocate...

finally , the only person who can receive previleges is the economically backward person ..and that too only in terms of access to better facilities and healthcare , give them better than the best , no probs ,,,,no overlooking bad grades and spl promotions pls ... dont confuse the status of handicaps here ... they are spl in any society ..

spot on... that is what a truly secular society would need... (special emphasis on 'economically backward' which is not to be associated with caste or religion)...

Daer Sri SS Ji and Sri VV Ji,

Your arguments against the muslims, while have some validity does not have a whole bunch of either logic or thought behind them. It is all an emotional argument, about a people who ruled us once but who are our fellow Indians today. All of our fates are intrinsically intertwined and any drive towards a 'Hindu Raj' on the basis of the long gone history will only alienate them more from us. Pakistan is sitting there. licking their wounds after the seperation of Bangladesh, trying to find ways to hurt India deeply, and most of the issues that you have enumerated came about precisely as a result.

With this in mind, with also the fact that these muslims do not live seperately from us, but amongst us, should tell us that by going back in to history to overturn it, it will only act as a perfect story for the crazies in Pakistan to tell our brothers, how the Hindus want to go away from 'secularism' and want to go back to 'Hindutva'. Even if we can achieve such a state and intend to rule as a secular society, they will not believe it. Once such a feeling is aroused and crosses the critical mass, it will only bring destruction and woe to our beloved country.

Now, you may argue that such a provocation is required to put them in their place or to drive them off to some other country, to achieve Hindutva, I would say such an argument is nihilist and dangerous. If we do that then we as Hindus are not Hindus anymore because we then violate the inherent truth of our religion.

Such is the path being pursued by the fundamentalist Hindu groups and without saying so, BJP is encouraging these outfits to pursue such a path, using it as their election plank. I think this is a dangerous path to tread on. Last time when they were in power they acted as 'secularists' for various reasons, but like Ayodhya, another incident may be triggered without anyone being able to control it. If such a thing were to happen, the Hindu fundamentalists would be happy, with the muslim fundamentalist faction plotting revenge and a whole lot of innocents in the middle who do not care about the religion at all will not even know that the next round of dead will come from their ranks.

This is why I am puzzled why so ready you are to use the past issues to provoke violence without understanding the consequences or so blind to the consequences of bringing up these historical events to demand justice today.

Your 'ideologies' will only spell doom in a country that is already divided a countless ways, as Sri Kunjuppu Ji eloquently put.

I do not think that your views carry any intellectual weight. If they do, please put forward how do you want to take India to the Hindu rule, and once you do how will you tackle the present day issues that you keep on citing, especially with the muslims?

Regards,
KRS

Thanks to Vivekam Vairagyam, Happy Hindu, Hariharan1972, Seshadri Subramanian, KRS, Kunjuppu and any other name that I may have unwittingly omitted, for a stimulating discussion of high standards.

Too much has been said by so many learned enlightened members.
My views should not matter.
In brief, A Hindu nation is desirable but simply not practical.
Even if the BJP one days gets an absolute majority and amends the very constitution to achieve this, the final map of a Hindu India will be a grotesque caricature of the present glorious triangular shape.
Imagine a moth eaten truncated map of India with a huge cut in the neck , one arm and leg lopped of, and the head sliced off!
Kashimir (the head) will be gone.
The North East (the arm) will separate (to be eventually swallowed up by China)
The proud Sikhs will go back to their demand for Khalistan rather than be part of a Hindu India(the cut in the neck)
One leg of India (Tamil nadu) will also be lost and the nation will limp on the lean and polio stricken leg that Kerala may offer to the rest of the country.
The DMK/AIADMK and the host of other Kazhagams will all unite in their demand not to have anything to do with a Hindu India and will prefer to go it alone and create a new republic with Tamil as Supreme language, Atheism as the national religion and with Brahminism, Sanskrit and Hindi eradicated completely.

No sir. Forget this pipe dream of a Hindu India for ever.

Not that I agree with the opposite views too. We have been pampering some communities and we have no courage to stop it. Muslims are a powerful vote bank and in this system of elections where a person with just 20 percent of the vote is declared the winner just because all others get less than 20 percent, there is no way any community that votes as a block can be antagonized.

A lot can be said on this on both sides and there are too many persons available to say it with greater passion and conviction than I can summon.

I will stop with just this much.
Thanks once again for a stimulating discussion and I look forward to more such debates on other topics.

G Vishwanath, JP Nagar, Bangalore
(New member)

This post is not related to this thread... so pls excuse, but do any of the members know about a certain guy called zakir naik? there are umpteen videos in youtube... he even had a debate with sri sri ravishankar on 'concept of god in hinduism and islam'...

his site says that since this guy took up debate, he has not been defeated!!!

saw some of his videos and he has actually an amazing memory; either that or good techniques for oration... and if one observes his line of reasoning in arguments, albeit it is within a closed system viz the koran, he articulates it pretty well for the average masses to believe that it is 'the ultimate logic'... and most of his speech against hinduism is characterised by 'ground level queries' and 'mass interpretation'... but he cites the vedas and upanishads too - a pity as he does not interpret them correctly...

and seems he is available to open/live challenges on islam and its concepts...!

just found it interesting and hence my observations...

Shri VV,

1) <<mosque destruction increased jihadi terrorism>> and <<The matter (of establishing the veracity of the temple) is sub-judice>> and other stuff in post #27.

You come across as linking islamic terrorism with a temple issue. If this probably is your 'logic' and interpretation of what constitutes terrorism, then i have no probs in saying that landless people, rat-eaters, bat-eaters, sewerage-cleaners, all sorts of scavengers, have every right to revolt against a system of deprivation and mismanagement of resources; since deprivation too is a form of terror.

And in that system of deprivation, if a bihari sees brahmins and thakurs (those who man 'ram sena' and prevent 'bonded' labourers frm getting an education or a decent living) as the primary culprits, then that deprived lot has every right to revolt against them. This too is about reclamation of rights, as much as the temple issue.

2)
myth : was it the actual ayodhya ?

that question doesnt come at all , it is abt the fact that there was a temple that ws unfairly destroyed ...period , people who talk so casually abt such instituions as temples wuld not do so if it were their homes that were unfairly destroyed , it is only a temple .... leave it ..... rt?
Why does not that question come at all. The ASI found no evidence of a Ram temple at that spot. Please see dates mentioned here: http://www.stephen-knapp.com/ayodhya_and_the_research_on_the_temple_of_Lord_Rama.htm What a waste of resources and time in a political stunt (if only the excavation was not linked to politics). This despite the fact that present day Ayodhya was called Koshala in the past and all that stuff (an aside - going by the various distances or yojanas presented in the Valmiki Ramayan, it looks more probabale that the Ayodhya of Ramayan cud be somewhere in present day Madhya Pradesh).

Again, your interpretation is about equating temples to homes (??). But yes, sir, please get the BJP to have a mandate to clear dharavi slums before asking to build temples.

3) <<myth : gandhiji wuld have had a different opinion....places of violence seem to be changing >>
Better we do not bring Gandhi into the picture and speculate with our own ideas.

4)
myth : i am raising this temple issue as a primary cause ...

gimme a brk , pls go back and read the post that started this thread and the subsequent folow-up to that ...
the discussion abt temple came when hh1972 talked inaccurately abt bringing modi to justice and building a mosque ... r u even following the SIT's report on teesta and wht happened in gujarat ? as 4 the mosque , ya vacate ur house , be a magnanimous secular and let them do it there ... how easy it is for people to comment on something that deosnt seem close to them , totally unmindfull of how others feel abt their temple and stuff being unfairly destroyed ....
Again, why are you connecting the mosque issue with my home and secularism? If you are so mindful of temples, so be it. Please accept it that others may not share the same mindset. On the contrary, i hope to see a day when hindus run orphanages instead of running after stuff to "reclaim lost glory" (btw, a section of people who claim many things in the present time, perhaps began to have any such 'glory' only from the late 16th century).

5)
myth : the british came and modernised india

have u even read macaulay 's statement in the british parliament ?
or have u read wht robert clive had to say abt murshidabad after the battle of plassey there?
have u ever cared to read abt development in india before the muslims and british ?
So will reading all that, will rebuilding temples, etc help me reclaim whatever was that glory? Sorry sir, the people of the nation wud rather have the country developed with more dedicated industries, get into niche sectors, have enhanced manufaturing, have better infrastructure, make lives prosperous before thinking of old glory (btw, let us not forget misinterpreted / interpolated stuff to keep a man 'where he is'. By your possible yardstick of measuring Brits with Macaulay's statement or measuring Muslims bcoz of their stand on kafirs, we shoudl also be seeking revenge on "our own" for all the crap they have done / can probably still tend to do).

6)
Oh yes, the economically backward need stuff to overcome odds alright. But what has this got to do with your temple issue?

Vajpayee never asked anyone to vote based on caste ever. Instead, a nice party was spoilt by its candidates who asked for votes based on caste without a mandate of inclusive development. They raked up the old temple issue, talked about glory of hindus, isolated all non-hindus, linked all sorts of senas (like ram sena in bihar) to the BJP, all of which caused the party to have a image of being retrograde, regressive, no clear future vision, propagating social divide and so on.

What i see here is a miniature ramble rousing of the likes of people who actually spoilt the party.

Regards.

Last edited:
ss,

..any of the members know about a certain guy called zakir naik?...his site says that since this guy took up debate, he has not been defeated!!!

that's bcoz he debates with selective individuals. He refused to enter a written debate with murtad ali sina: http://www.faithfreedom.org/debates/zakirnaik.htm

... But he cites the vedas and upanishads too - a pity as he does not interpret them correctly...

that's bcoz the texts can be interpreted in different ways to meet selective ideas of an individual.

and seems he is available to open/live challenges on islam and its concepts...!

not really. He likes to debate with selected people, not with everyone who invites him. And he likes to have a muslim crowd that claps for him. He is a missionary with great memory, not an intellectual. He does not like or touch upon certain topics. Nor does he ever talk abt hindu, buddhist and jain philosophies. His arguments are lop-sided, comparing apples and oranges; and more like telling his momin brothers only what they want to listen, with no room for what they do not what to listen.

http://www.faithfreedom.org/debates/ZakirNaik.htm

Shri VV,

1) <<mosque destruction increased jihadi terrorism>> and <<The matter (of establishing the veracity of the temple) is sub-judice>> and other stuff in post #27.

You come across as linking islamic terrorism with a temple issue. If this probably is your 'logic' and interpretation of what constitutes terrorism, then i have no probs in saying that landless people, rat-eaters, bat-eaters, sewerage-cleaners, all sorts of scavengers, have every right to revolt against a system of deprivation and mismanagement of resources; since deprivation too is a form of terror.

And in that system of deprivation, if a bihari sees brahmins and thakurs (those who man 'ram sena' and prevent 'bonded' labourers frm getting an education or a decent living) as the primary culprits, then that deprived lot has every right to revolt against them. This too is about reclamation of rights, as much as the temple issue.

2)
Why does not that question come at all. The ASI found no evidence of a Ram temple at that spot. Please see dates mentioned here: http://www.stephen-knapp.com/ayodhya_and_the_research_on_the_temple_of_Lord_Rama.htm What a waste of resources and time in a political stunt (if only the excavation was not linked to politics). This despite the fact that present day Ayodhya was called Koshala in the past and all that stuff (an aside - going by the various distances or yojanas presented in the Valmiki Ramayan, it looks more probabale that the Ayodhya of Ramayan cud be somewhere in present day Madhya Pradesh).

Again, your interpretation is about equating temples to homes (??). But yes, sir, please get the BJP to have a mandate to clear dharavi slums before asking to build temples.

3) <<myth : gandhiji wuld have had a different opinion....places of violence seem to be changing >>
Better we do not bring Gandhi into the picture and speculate with our own ideas.

4) Again, why are you connecting the mosque issue with my home and secularism? If you are so mindful of temples, so be it. Please accept it that others may not share the same mindset. On the contrary, i hope to see a day when hindus run orphanages instead of running after stuff to "reclaim lost glory" (btw, a section of people who claim many things in the present time, perhaps began to have any such 'glory' only from the late 16th century).

5) So will reading all that, will rebuilding temples, etc help me reclaim whatever was that glory? Sorry sir, the people of the nation wud rather have the country developed with more dedicated industries, get into niche sectors, have enhanced manufaturing, have better infrastructure, make lives prosperous before thinking of old glory (btw, let us not forget misinterpreted / interpolated stuff to keep a man 'where he is'. By your possible yardstick of measuring Brits with Macaulay's statement or measuring Muslims bcoz of their stand on kafirs, we shoudl also be seeking revenge on "our own" for all the crap they have done / can probably still tend to do).

6) Oh yes, the economically backward need stuff to overcome odds alright. But what has this got to do with your temple issue?

Sir, let me tell you my personal version of why BJP lost:

My father was invited by one BJP high official to join the party, which he did since most of his friends were already members of that party. The party membership in that place was already really huge. With a vision, many of these people worked in various things, from empowering farmers to bringing free healthcare facilities into godforsaken places. The result was that at the grassroots, people felt that they cud bring a party to power that was genuinely bothered about them. And the BJP won in that place.

But in other places, this did not happen. Vajpayee never asked anyone to vote based on caste ever. Instead, a nice party was spoilt by its candidates who asked for votes based on caste without a mandate of inclusive development. They raked up the old temple issue, talked about glory of hindus, isolated all non-hindus, linked all sorts of senas (like ram sena in bihar) to the BJP, all of which caused the party to have a image of being retrograde, regressive, no clear future vision, propagating social divide and so on.

What i see here is a miniature ramble rousing of the likes of people who actually spoilt the party.

Regards.

hh ... wake up .. u r the one holding to the hindu temple issue .. pls go back and read both my posts on the election results , where have i talked abt temple there as any worthy reason? as i sed be4 .... the temple issue came up to correct hh1972's inaccurate assertions ... so for the last time , stop insinuating wrong motives , ....... why dont u try to discuss wht i have actually talked abt as reasons for the bjp's failure , if u have to quote me?

Last edited:
HERE ARE THE LINKS
http://friendsofbjp.org/2009/05/20/elections-2009-analysis-interpreting-the-results/
http://www.lkadvani.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5453

HERE IS WHT I HAD GIVEN AS REASONS ....
Lotsa interesting thought here ...a few of mine .... ..

1) Throughout the public meetings of friendsofbjp ... Arun jaitley came across as an arrogant, angry and I-know-it-all-and-u-know-nothing kind when he needed to be more humble , smiling and less like a bull dog ...... also the meetings were becoming more sycophantic of Arun-ji's amazing intellect being marvelled from one city to another ... the elections are not the time for such distractions ... that he was not a happy man and felt like he ws doing the party a favour at these meetings was too obvious to miss ... friendsofbjp has done well for its first year ...if not for the innovative efforts towards the end like friendsofbjp and the kind ... the loss could have been worse ... now realise that u need to study well year long to do well in the exams at the end ... it requires focus and hardwork to do that

2) For the last time , we are not a presidential democracy ... dont waste ur time talking abt one person ... focus on the needs of the one billion people , the needs of that one person will be taken care of ...

3) An election is not the time to bother ur electorate about who flunked his tenth class , but did not report it ... such talk is gr8 for blogs , not for on-the-street-campaigning ..... focus on wht ur electorate wants from u ...

4) Dont keep whining (bloggers and bjp included) that the media is against u ... so wht if everything is against u ... atleast u r for urself , rt? .. that is good for starters .. instead of this emotional outrage .. u need to engage the media and every single section of the society that is against u in constant and continuous dialogue .. dont be averse to be seen continuously talking to barkha dutt / prannoy roy / rajdeep/ n ram / communists / imams / evangelicals and the kind ... continuously engage them and ask them directly as to why they feel wht they feel about u and make sure u have a 24*7 channel for each one of these ... u can differ with them , but u cannot ignore them and hope all will be fine .. that is not how a democracy works .. make them directly and continuously articulate to u wht they feel , ask follow-up questions and get the answer , if u want to be the party with a difference , u need to show it in action ...if u wish to be a party for the nation , engage the whole nation, not sections of it .....

u need to be the bridge to get the less organised elemnts of the sangh parivar to come in line and get them to talk to other such religious groups like the imams/ parishes/ dalits/ media .... dialogue is better than rhetoric at any time ....

and as for the ram sene/vhp ... pls find a way to rehabilitate them with better contemporary education and jobs so they dont need to do these things for a living , they deserve better too , it is important that the bulk of the members can be productive citizens like doctors/lawyers and still be associated with the sangh parivar

5) What is the average age of the BJP face I see .. like 193 yrs old ? You keep saying u have a lot of support among the youth ... you harldy show any of the iim/iit grads who like u ...

6) Is sushma swaraj the only female face of the party...please get some more faces ...

7) You dont have to be too very polite and formal and maryaadha driven ... a lil informal attitude and irreverence can be a good calling card for independent thinkers and youth ...

8)Dont confuse sanatana dharma with dating and pre-marital sex ... if u can be a brahma gnani while being a vyadha ( butcher) as in the vyadha gita of the mahabharatha , u can also be a gnani even while dating or having pre-marital sex ... do not oppose anything purely in the name of religion and tradition as the sanatana dharma sez thru the upanishads , gnana is not dependent on external practices , it is abt wht ur mind is focussed on ...

9) Work as an NGO in the field and genuinely make sure u uplift families and communities as a whole without expecting anything in return , good deeds never go waste ...

10) You have to re-work your and the sangh parivar's appraoch to handling injustice in the media/society/politics ... u need to come across as firm,non-whining,focussed , persuasive , persevering , dogged , fearless and non-goonda in ur approach... dont have too many people talkin on ur behalf ...

11) Having a media briefing cell in ur offices doesnt count ... you need to have an end-to-end seamless line of human resources from kindergartens to fully functional mainstream media empires .. it is not just about the money but also about developing key competencies in ur people even while they are in the bjp ....

12 ) Did ur religious/mutt leaders deliver?

13 ) The late kanchi acharya was once asked how he considered himself a jagadguru when there were so many people who do not recognise his primacy , he said that to him being a jagad guru didnt mean that he was the guru to the jagad rather jagad guru to him meant that the jagad was his guru ( both interpretations are right , just depends on how one looks at it ) ... it is not a bad idea to start with the notion that you have a lot to learn from EVERY citizen of this great land and this world ....

the bjp needs to get rid of the opposition mentality , its job is to provide a viable ALTERNATIVE for all indians , and not an opposition, if it wants to form the government ....

while feelings of despair are reasonable , we cannot deny the fact that simply continuing the past forms of piece-meal struggles will not work today just as they never did in the past …

we may be worlds better than our neighbors , we still are not a democracy in its true meaning … u can still become a pm / president without being directly chosen by the people , none of the cities/states are run by one mayor/governor elected directly by the people … this in itself proves the fact that we simply live in an oligarchy ( at best) clothed as a democracy … individuals cannot achieve much in such settings , that is why those groups that organise and stand together achieve better for themselves , for the same reason hindus dont do well ,they have an illusion they are extremely intelligent and so dont need to partner with other hindus ,

we need to realise that we lack a comprehensive response to any challenge thrown at us by our detractors ….

a comprehensive response to any/every problem , right from govt unfairly withdrawing funds to religious persecution, should include atleast ..

1) mainstream media power - the ability to communicate and reach a wider audience
2) continuing education of every memeber of the community about their rights, responsibilities and challenges
3) ability to address injustice / impropreity thru legal and media trials till the situation is redressed
4) support groups that interact with every family to help them acheive prosperity thru better education , health and jobs , no matter the resistance from the rest of the society
5) learn from the jews as to how they r handling some not so obvious assaults on their survival by their semitic counterparts
6) when ur response to any situation loses the ability to surprise ur competition , u r bound to repond with cliched approaches which can only fail
7) u need the to ability to engage ur adversaires in dialogue to get things done , jus shouting only makes u a laughing stalk , simultaneously u need to be able to execute other counter measures …
to the extent the bjp can promise and achieve these objectives , to that extent they will draw more constituents into their fold , people need to see that it is worth being in this association … wht is needed is a grassroots movt from villages to the universities and board rooms that will first consolidate the memebrship and activity base a la obama … with the ego clashes of the intellectuals in the party , is it a surprise that people like gurumurthy /arun shourie / prof vaidyanathan / tarun vijay/ m r venkatesh are not the face of the intellectual side of the movement execpt when a carefully constructed dissent/repartee needs to be presented so that it will clear the path for the “political manipulators” to get on with their infighting on their way to power … the day the organisation will give importance to merit and people who have a successful life outside politics and can work as team instead of for personal and/or political vendetta … that day the organisation will achieve for all people as the scriptures say , “loka samastha sukino bhavanthu ” … till then things will keep going in circles , forward movement will only be in dreams …..

REMEMBER … U NEED TO DO THE HARDWORK TO GET TO FORM A GOVT .. DEPENDING ON ALLIANCE PARTNERS IS SHEER LAZINESS .. IT MAY TAKE TIME , BUT IT IS WORTH INVESTING IN ESTABLISHING A BASE AND BEING FOCUSSED ON UR MISSION …

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS THREAD IS PURELY TO HIGHLIGHT MY THOTS ON THE RESULTS OF THE BJP AS ILLUSTRATED IN THESE TWO LINKS AND AS STATED AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD ... IF THE DICUSSION WAS DISTRACTED TO THE TEMPLE ISSUE BY INACCURATE COMMENTS , IT CANNOT BE WRONGLY PRESUMED THAT MY REPLIES ON THE TEMPLE ISSUE ARE MY MAJOR REASONS

SO BE4 COMMENTING FURTHER AS TO WHT I SEE AS THE REASON FOR THE BJP'S STATUS NOW , PLS READ THE POST AGAIN , CAN U FIND THE WORD TEMPLE IN THAT POST ? IF IT CANNOT BE FOUND THEN I HOPE U CAN GIVE ME THE BENEFIT OF DOUBT AS TO WHT MY CONCERNS ARE ... RT?

AND WHERE DID I SEEM TO EMPHASISE ON A HINDU INDIA?

AS FOR UR COMMENTS IN UR LAST POST , I AM GONNA RESERVE REPLY SINCE U SEEM TO BE CONFUSING WHT MY REAL INTENTIONS ARE AS FAR AS THE THREAD'S PURPOSE GO , THAT CAN WAIT FOR ANOTHER THREAD ....

Last edited:
Shri VV,

Am very sorry I was connecting your sentences with that of SS and reading too much into it (esp the 'hindu india' part), though must say i do not agree with the possible anti-muslim stance that you probably seem to have..

Certainly the BJP can offer a great alternative to Congress. If only, they can get rid of their senas and cadres that portray the party negatively. And if the party can come up with a proper plan with vision for development...

The Ram Sena in Bihar is a real shame (was watching Cooking in the Danger Zone on BBC: http://www.linktv.org/video/3549/cooking-in-the-danger-zone-india The anchor overlooks that the so-called men of 'upper castes' (armed or otherwise) are only a trifle more moneyed than the 'dalits' in those rural areas - typical fight for resources where 'caste' gets abused).

Regards.

Last edited:
I watched some videos of Zakir Naik.
Every religion can produce some one who talks smart.
Osho swayed lakhs of people.
Sai Baba does that too.
So many Christian evangelists also can you talk you into believing in any ism.
These are like clever sales persons.
In the real world a smart salesman can persuade you to buy a product.
Zakir Naik comes across to me as someone who is selling the Islamic view point to you.
I never buy any product that some one attempts to sell to me.
I buy what I need and that too after I am convinced of that need due to my own feelings and views.

Zakir was initially interesting and I was a bit curious about him.
He is intelligent no doubt but I found his justification for some of Islam's beliefs totally unconvincing.
He has done a selective reading of the scriptures and quotes selectively to suit the occasion.
We could do much better and quote selectively from the Quran and portray it in bad light.
After watching the fourth video of his, I found him boring.
I haven't watched any more and have no plans to do so in future.

G Vishwanath
JP Nagar, Bangalore

Dear Sri SS Ji,

I watched Mr. Naik on Youtube quite a while ago (may be 2 years ago) and he is silver tongued and has prodigious memory. He was trained as a physician and spent a couple of years in the US. He then gave it up and returned to India to set up the organization in Mumbai whose sole function is to spread Islam around the world.

He tends to invite very non verbal folks in other religions for duels with him and his audience is packed only with Muslims (except a few from other religions, who when they ask questions usually face a hostile crowd). I was disappointed with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's performance, but then this type of circus atmosphere does not suit him much.

I however do not think that Mr. Naik's lecture would convert any non-muslims. It looks like they are more geared towards stopping the muslims from questioning the validity of certain tenets within Islam that seem to be passe' in current times (treatment of women, science's role, meat eating etc.).

By the way, please read the following:
http://silverscorpio.com/muslim-sage-recites-hindu-scriptures-in-uttar-pradesh/

I hope the Jihadists do not read this.

Regards,
KRS

VV,

Repeatedly saying that i had made 'wrong assertions' does not make your argument any better.

And pray, was i making any assertions ?

No !

What i was saying is factual plus logical.

You refuted that the matter is sub-judice and went into some religious technicalities. Your point of view is that the refusal by SC to "authenticate" the existence of a temple does not mean that it didnt exist - religiously.

Even if one may concede your point, are you going to deny the "fact" that whatever the decision is, both parties (Hindus and Muslims) are duty bound to 'accept" the decision ?

The courts have to make a decision based on what is submitted as evidence. Should the court decide otherwise, it is factual that a Mosque did exist and it was razed down. So if the Court would order rebuilding of the Mosque, what should the Hindus do ? Would you say that Hindus should "revolt" against the order ?

Having said that, it is my unshakeable faith that Hindus are more secular than the Muslims of this country. So an adverse decision against the Hindus would possibly not invite any major trouble but for some "localised thuggery" from VHP/BD goons. But if the Court were to accept the fact that there was a temple, I do not think the country is better placed to handle the Jihadi violence.

I wish to know your response to the question of KRS Sir as to whether we should 'selectively rewrite' history. How many more such cases would you attempt to rewrite ?

And sesh-ji, my point about the economic fallout is this : It is not just the money that would go into the temple that i am hinting at but the possible unleashing of Jihadi violence that could cause huge damage both in terms of lives and infrastructure. As much as you would claim that India is a 'Hindu nation' (i have a slightly different take which i will explain later), India is poorly manned. India is susceptible to violence and really is a sitting duck when it comes to handling terrorism.

Also i am aghast that this should be the priority of a nation where millions are starving and the godowns of FCI are filling up fast. (Read the article 'Grainstormed' in outlook).

The need of the hour for India is to secure the nation, feed the starving millions and improve the standard of living. I cant quite relate to the inanity of according priority to rewrite history at a huge 'social cost'.

And in any case, i am not convinced that Lord Ram was born at the exact site which is the bone of contention.

And if you both believe that giving up the demand is a symbol of Hindu "weakness", I tend to think that it is a symbol of the "strength" of our faith. It proves that our faith is not dogmatic and puts humanity ahead of everything else.

You should both recognise the fact that not all Hindus are behind the cause. Our religion strongly encourages each one his own way and does not believe in violence as a means to an end.

And VV, after rejecting my point on the temple matter being sub-judice, how conveniently you take shelter under the legal technicality with respect to Modi !

I agree that there is no case against Modi. But hasnt the SC passed severe comments about his functioning likening him to the Nero who was playing the whatever when rome was burning.

I for one would like Modi to face the judicial process and come clean once of all. If he is guilty let him face the music ; if he is not then the vituperative campaign against him should end.

Last edited by a moderator:
hh1972 - ji ,

again , did i ever object to modi facing trial ,,,, isnt the sit an investigating team appointed by the supreme court to look into the allegations ?

as regards to the temple , i never went into religious technicalities .. all i sed was that irrespective of the supreme court acknowledging the fact , it only takes historical and archeological proof to establish that a mosque was built destroying a temple .... where is religion here ?

in both cases i did not take shelter under the supreme court but under truth and irrespective of the supreme court acknowledging it , truth will stand on its own merit .. it jus happened that the supreme court appointed team has identified truth from lies in the modi issue .....

as regards "re-writing history" .... one has to make a beginning somewhere .... if u have 5 diseases and 3 are curable , starting somewhere isnt a bad idea ... rt?

Shri VV,

all i sed was that irrespective of the supreme court acknowledging the fact , it only takes historical and archeological proof to establish that a mosque was built destroying a temple .... where is religion here ?

i do not really understand what is the point of pointing out that a mosque was built on top of a temple. Am not sure how can we talk about old glory when in the present time all we see is overpopulation, dirt and squabbling for resources. Nor do i understand in what way is a temple or old history gonna solve that.

as regards "re-writing history" .... one has to make a beginning somewhere .... if u have 5 diseases and 3 are curable , starting somewhere isnt a bad idea ... rt?

will re-writing history help solve fiscal deficit, poverty, and so on...what are the so-called curable diseases here...all i can understand until present time is that possibly atleast more than half of people in the framework of present day castes are new to it, the whole concept of varna-caste matrix is possibly new, our old civilizations were more tribal for the longest time than running on vimanas, cultures followed by one section of the society then was probably not followed by the others, wars kept populations from bursting at seams, the kind of fantasy advanced stuff we imagine they lived on, and a lot of stuff we imagine about the past can just be that - imagination. We'd perhaps do a lot better by making our present-time better than re-writing history....

In one of the blogs mentioned above, i found this: http://globeonline.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/anti-semitismbrahminism/

Truly brahmins in the past and present were and are not secretive or manipulative, doing stuff like manipulating kings and politicians behind the scenes and all that accusatory stuff...

But what we have on the hands is stuff that we did get on our hands since about a 150 years or so....a recent creation of accusatory stuff....unfortunately our indian tendency to make too much smoke from limited fire seems responsible for linking communities totally unrelated to all this stuff, as a whole whitewashed pic...

Can we deny that the Ram Sena is predominantly manned by brahmins and thakurs in Bihar? Can we deny that they as land-owners do their best to prevent their labourers from getting any education or any other form of life? Can we deny that a section of brahmins in those regions actually became brahmins by becoming land-seizers? Can we deny that the Ram Sena is actually linked to a political party by vested interests (is that not where this whole accussation of controlling things behind the scenes is coming from) ?

Have a look at this sick stuff: http://globalcoordinate.com/items/549485 - take a look at the reason why a blogger tries to promote Ranvir Sena as a hindu nationalist paramilitary force (so-called brahmin supremacy) and google to find what all has that Ranvir Sena been accused of...is that not a reason why in the present time a negative image has been created out of one section..it is really strange that BJP is seen as a brahmin or casteist party when the majority there are infact non-brahmins and not going around proclaiming stuff about each of their castes..

Re-writing history can be really troublesome to those want it re-written sir...we might have to revisit every swami who got involved in caste and claiming varna stuff like this one http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/39109373.cms ...if only there was possibly something called a military brahmin....it might do so much better to just let lying dogs lie and focus on making the present better for everyone...

Last edited:
We are actually resigned to a fatalistic attitude that re-writing history is not gonna help! Then why read history at all!!! Destroy all history books and evidences --> Can we resort to such actions? Obviously No. Then if people have to know the past, let it be on a correct note...

We can do the maximum we can and the most glaring ones... at least..

Dear Sri SS Ji,

We read history so that we do not repeat the mistakes made in the past! Not to 're-write' history!

I am very surprised that such a bright fellow like yourself does not understand this. Look at any troubled spot in the world today - it is there because of the non acceptance of certain folks about the things as they are.

As Srimathi HH Ji points out (although I am a bit squeamish about what she has posted), there are skeletons in each one of our closets. History as well is not 'absolute'. It is a Pandora's Box, if any of us demands justice on the basis of the past.

You may not like this, but let me tell you this; and this is the truth. You and I are not just TBs. We carry with us all the influences of the Muslims and the English who ruled over us so many years as well as all the different Hindu/Buddhist/Jain cultures that our forefathers were subjected to. It shows in practical terms in different ways. I love the NI cuisine. And wear pants and suit and speak English. You seem to work in a Muslim country and feel that that is okay. I respect the Jains and think that Buddha was a misunderstood Hindu.

So the list goes on and on. I can go in to very nasty stuff regarding our forefathers, but then what is the point? We need to look at the Jagat and all the people who have gone before us as our forefathers. Norms of our current civilization only happened recently and we need to be thankful that at least we can converse like this without a reasonable fear of losing our heads and lives for talking so.

So, let us have some compassion, some love, some respect and some live and let live attitude. But then before we are quick to accuse any one else, let us look at the history of their faiths and have the trust that human beings are evolving and all human beings are born good. This is the fundamental philosophical difference betwenn us and the western monotheists.

They will come around. We are after all talking about the eternal 'Sanathana Dharma' here.

Regards,
KRS
We are actually resigned to a fatalistic attitude that re-writing history is not gonna help! Then why read history at all!!! Destroy all history books and evidences --> Can we resort to such actions? Obviously No. Then if people have to know the past, let it be on a correct note...

We can do the maximum we can and the most glaring ones... at least..

Dear Shri KRS,

We read history so that we do not repeat the mistakes made in the past! Not to 're-write' history!
Quite right... and that is why we need to read the correct version... not just some fabricated one...

Let there be rattle... we should be equanimous enough to hear the rattle out; not keep on saying that there is only confusion...

History is again not so vague and amorphous as you put it so - at least not all of it! So a generalization would not apply here... maybe there would be some things we can correct and maybe not... but the effort should be put in...

Regards,

P.S. I asked the question
We are actually resigned to a fatalistic attitude that re-writing history is not gonna help! Then why read history at all!!! Destroy all history books and evidences --> Can we resort to such actions?
to show the obvious...
Obviously No. Then if people have to know the past, let it be on a correct note...
just to clarify

Also, the fact that we follow (or at least try to) 'dharma' cannot be equated to mean that we cannot go offensive... ahimsa is indeed a great virtue, but there are phases when mere ahimsa would not work...

Dharma works only when everyone discharge their duties sincerely... But when the doer fails in his duty, what should one do? Is it not his duty to take steps to correct it?

Similarly, when we have a maligned and fabricated history upon which a certain group place their claims, their stance needs to be corrected... and rectified - to show the correct perspective, so that we may learn the right thing!

Sanathana dharma does not imply on us not to use force; neither does it imply that we have to remain a mute spectator hoping that eventually things might turnaround...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back