• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Brahminical Anomaly

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

The Brahminical Anomaly
By VEENAPS

Karnataka media, these days, is busy reporting an incident where Brahmins ate goat meat while performing somayaga in Matturu (Sanskrit village of India). My friend shared a post in Facebook which read – I am not sure what is the reason behind this outrage. Is it because ‘Brahmins’ ate goat meat while performing Somayaga or Brahmins ‘ate goat meat’ while performing Somayaga or Brahmins ate goat meat while performing ‘Somayaga’. In any case, it isn’t unconstitutional, so why make a fuss. But this news is being discussed ‘religiously’ for days in all channels. If you are wondering why did this receive minimal coverage in national level (while it was apocalypse-level reporting in regional media) we live in a country where Delhi’s odd-even policy gets more media attention than Chennai floods. Though there are documented proofs that do not match with the story played by media, they are not even being reported. Also, who needs facts anyway?

Coming from the Brahmin family, I have faced several personal attacks over the years. Even as a kid, there would be arguments of caste criterion among ‘big people’ for not selecting me for things as simple as competitions in the school. This continued all through my career at various levels. Recently in twitter, when I was discussing my article with Mr. Vishweshwar Bhat (co-incidentally also a Brahmin) a senior editor of a leading Kannada newspaper, someone just trashed both of us saying that I must be a Brahmin too (a good guess, let me admit) and that I was interacting with him only because we belonged to the same community. That person of-course ignored the fact that each of the articles in my blog has over 1000 hits or that the editor has always encouraged people from various backgrounds or that this person too is free to share his write-ups with him.

Read more at: http://myvoice.opindia.com/2016/05/the-brahminical-anomaly/

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Brahmins and Dalits share the same woes...being targeted becos they were born in castes at the either end of the spectrum.

In Tamil Nadu it is organized attacks including physical..In Karnataka it is casual attacks in media/talk

[h=1]'What have I done to deserve this humiliation?'[/h]
The distraught family of Viswanatha Gurukkal, who was attacked by a group of youngsters, blames some political parties for taking up anti-Brahminism as their poll plank. Shobha Warrier/Rediff.com reports.

04attack3.jpg

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...acks-on-priests-in-chennai/article7127953.ece

I am sorry for the attacks, it is unjustified, and may even be criminal.
I think people should be free to choose their food habits.

But before I jump to "support" this so called "pseudo-Brahmins", I want all of us to think it through.

There are many Brahmins who eat kinds of meat. They are not attacked. There are others who kill animals on daily basis they are not attacked.

So this attack is something different.
I am a brahmin, I am also vegetarian. I am opposed to killing animals. I am doubly opposed to killing in the name of religion, particularly my religion Hinduism. If this brahmin family wanted to eat goat meat they could have gone to market and bought it, no one would be any wiser. The wanted to flaunt their "brahminism" and then they "sacrificed" a goat for their gluttony, and call it religion.
I have NO sympathy for this family. I feel they brought in upon themselves.

While every body is free to express their opinion, one cannot consider all such opinion for a serious discussion or reply as some rely basically on hearsay and media reports and lack first hand experience on the topic or totally ignorant of ground reality.

Such opinions can be well ignored. I have NO consideration for such postings.

In the last one hundred and fifty years Brahmins are attacked repeatedly by the Dravidian parties in Tamil Nadu
There are lot of incidents to cite in this regard.

Once, Ayodhya Mandapan a well known Ram temple and religious centre which is located in the heart of Chennai in West Mambalam was attacked with petrol and acid bombs.

One Krishna Iyer Cafe located at Srirangam,Trichy was reportedly attacked.

Similarly, lot of bakeries were attacked for the only reason that they were named as Bangalore Iyengar Bakery though owned by non-brahmins!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back